Author's Chapter Notes:
Another lengthy Chapter, 24 pages, 8,000 words. Enjoy!!

Divorce is a Bitter Pill to Swallow- Chapter 6

“Oh hey Darrien, what’s up?" She lowered her voice to imitate Andrew’s deeper pitch, “What’s up? What the hell-we haven’t seen each other in five years and that’s all he had to say?”

“Can you believe him?” Darrien scoffed as she closed the master bedroom door behind Darnell. “Acting like he wasn’t shocked to see me. Yeah, okay…he’s so damn conceited.” She continued rambling, her expressions changing all at once, from irritation to understanding and back to irritation.

“He looked good though, didn’t he?” The sudden compliment caught an inattentive Darnell, who had been observing the subtle changes Justin made to the room, off guard. She turned to see her sister who was awaiting her reply.

“Oh…um, I guess…” Darnell shrugged and scrunched up her face, thoughtfully, “When was the last time you saw him?”

“At your wedding, well and the morning after…”

“You did? What?”

Darrien opened her mouth and then quickly shut it, “Never mind.”

Darnell’s gaze narrowed. Her mind was already whirling with the possibilities of what her sister wasn’t telling her.

“Darrien?”

“ Dee, why haven’t I seen that picture of you before?” Ignoring her, Darrien pointed to the large framed photograph, placed rightfully above the king-size bed, of a young Darnell snuggled into a lush pillow and sleeping.

Darnell dragged her gaze to said picture. She hadn’t seen it either and didn’t remember when Justin had taken it. However, right now she was more concerned with whatever juicy details Darrien was withholding. She would ask Justin about the never-before-seen photograph later.

“You look so cute and innocent.” Darrien smirked while Darnell rolled her eyes, dramatically.

“I was eighteen…now stop bullshitting and finish what you were about to say.”

“I wasn’t about to say anything Dee, sorry.” Darrien held up her hands apologetically and strolled over to the bed, which only seemed to make Darnell more persistent.

“Yes you were!” Whining, she childishly stomped her foot, “You were about tell me what happened that night and I wasn’t paying that much attention to you and Drew so-Oh shit.”

Darrien groaned and plopped onto the bed, “Oh shit what, Dee?”

“I remember looking up one time during the reception and didn’t see you and Drew anywhere. Where’d you go?” Darnell put her hands to her hips and watched as Darrien’s cheeks tinted while she prepared an excuse.

“Damn Dee you’re so nosy!” She huffed before deciding to finally put her sister out of her misery with an explanation. Darnell tried not to crack a smile of victory.

“I was still mad at him then as you know so we went somewhere to talk and-”

“Annnnd…you had sex with him.”

“I sure did.”

“Oh my God, Darrien I was joking!”

“Oh my bad.” She shrugged, casually and Darnell shoved her shoulder before sitting beside her.

“How is it that you married Calvin when you were on the rebound from Drew and then you slept with Drew when you were on the rebound from Calvin?” She asked because her mind and her ears weren’t agreeing on what was said and needed a confirmation.

Darrien took in her Darnell’s wide-eyed and eager gaze, the usual whenever she was anticipating hearing classified information about her older sister.

“I don’t know but yeah, emotions were out of control and it all happened in the blink of eye.”

Darnell couldn’t contain the smirk that instantly appeared, “The actual sex or-”

“No! How it got to that point.”

“Oh I was about to say, what happened Drew?” She laughed much to the dismay of her sister.

“Funny.” Darrien offered a smirk of her own.

“No it’s sad actually because I talked to Drew earlier and he couldn’t even remember seeing you at my wedding.”

“What?” All traces of amusement vanished.

“Mhm, apparently he was too drunk.”

“Oh.” She seemed offended, hurt even, but quickly masked it with a shrug of disregard.

“Don’t sweat it Darrien. I’m sure he was lying when he said that because he’s not that stupid.”

Darrien slowly nodded even as she said, “Yes he is.”

*~*~*~*~*~

“They must be talking about me up there?” Andrew’s gaze automatically diverted to the empty staircase.

“Man, really? You think so?” Justin gave him a wide-eyed, mocking stare.

Pouting, Drew flung his head against the back of the couch, “They’ve been up there forever.”

“Well, maybe Darrien has a lot of shit to get off her chest. You know seeing you again probably made all that-” He whirled his hands in front of him for emphasis, “negative energy resurface.

“What-” Drew imitated him, “-negative energy? It’s been ten years since we broke up. She shouldn’t have anything bad to say about me now.”

“Humph, you’d be surprise, but we could go find out.” Justin stretched into a standing position.

“What, you mean eavesdrop?” His eyebrows rose to the center of his forehead, and then he looked nervous. As always, he hid his shaky hands in the pockets of his pants.

“C-can’t we just get Mikey to do it?”

“No! Whatever they’re saying about you isn’t for my baby’s ears.”

“Yeah I guess you’re right.” His shoulders drooped, “Come on. Help me up.” He extended his hand. Justin grasped onto a sweaty palm and pulled him up.

“Damn man, you’re nervous.”

“Yeah.” As soon as Justin released his hand, it returned to the comfort of his pocket. “Well, lead the way.” He pointed at the stairs and Justin walked ahead of him.

They lightly treaded up the staircase as to not alert the women. Then they heard an, “Oh my God Darrien” and thought about reconsidering, well at least Andrew did. He grasped onto the banister and spun around on his heels.

Justin, on the other hand, continued towards the bedroom until he stood before the closed door. He hoped that they were saying something about him as well. Yet, when he pressed his ear up against the solid wooden surface, what he heard shocked the hell out him. He whirled around, looking for Andrew before finding him still waiting by the stairs.

“What? What did she say?” Drew eagerly and quickly appeared next to Justin.

“You son of a bitch, I was supposed to be the only one honeymooning.”

“Huh?”

“You had sex with her on my wedding night.”

“What! In my dreams maybe.” He tried to think hard about that night, but again he was drawing blanks. Well, not blanks exactly, just every scenario that he dreamt of the two of them together over the past couple of years. “Nope. That did not happen.” He shook his head and seemed pretty certain that he was right.

“Yes it did Drew.” They never even heard the door opened, but regardless, Darrien stood in the open doorway with a pained expression on her face, directed solely at Andrew. And at that moment, Andrew swallowed his tongue.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Spring 1996

“Do you know the answer to this question?” Justin slid the book across the table for Darnell to examine. When she hadn’t bothered to acknowledge the object, he gave the book another push and nudged her shoulder.

“Damnit Justin. You made me mess up my drawing.” Darnell huffed, quickly erased the mark that flawed her work and adjusted the black line on the paper. She smiled inwardly, satisfied with the contours of her subject’s face.

“You’re supposed to be helping me study, Dee.” Justin whined. He folded his arms over his chest, pretending to be upset.

“I am.” Darnell said, holding the picture away from her to study the latest addition to her masterpiece; a finely drawn eye.

“You were.” And then, he gave her a narrow sideways glance, “What boy are you obsessing over this year?” Justin inched forward trying to take a peek at her sketch, but she yanked it back before he could see.

“Obsessed? I’ve never been obsessed with any boy.” Darnell said candidly and puffed out her chest.

Justin fidgeted a little under her perfect lethal stare, but nonetheless he continued, “You have too! What about Jason in 9th grade and then…oh there was Jeremy in 10th grade.”

The first thought that had crossed Darnell’s mind after Justin’s assessment was that maybe she was just very fond of the letter “J”. She shook her head.

Darnell glanced down at the detailed illustration. Picking up the soft eraser again, she removed rough construction lines and softened the subject’s chiseled features for visual effect. She scratched away a few more blemishes until it met her satisfaction. She smiled, impressed.

Her work was beautifully crafted, perfectly colored and smartly composed. The depiction was almost an ideal representation of the subject. She had drawn the subject’s demeanor precisely; even down to the way his now chinlength curls cascaded over the right side of his face, almost giving him a mysterious quality. The realistic portrait of Justin nearly leaped off the page at her.

“Are you sure there’s no boy that you’re obsessing over this year?”

“What?” Darnell ignored him for a second and looked down at the picture again. She tapped her freshly-manicured nails against the paper. “Oh…yes, I’m sure.” She finally uttered the offhanded reply.

“Darnell, I think I like you.” His statement was abrupt, almost as if he had to force it out.

She stared at him blankly; a question ready on her lips, but it never came out. The realization of what he said dawned on her.

“Yeah right Justin. So now that Darrien is gone, you decide that you’ll settle for her younger, fatter, less attractive sister?” As she scoffed, Darnell couldn’t help but feel like she was Justin’s second choice. He couldn’t have Darrien so now he wanted her.

“I’m f-for real, Dee.” Justin stuffed his hands into his faded black jeans to help prevent the fidgeting he knew he would be doing soon.

“Well, what happened to your crush on Darrien?”

“Darrien’s gone now.” He mumbled, absently.

Justin hadn’t seen much of Darrien ever since she had enrolled into a cosmetology program in Pittsburgh less than two years ago. He missed her, but only a little. His dreams might’ve missed her more if they weren’t occupied by another.

His eyes raked over ample breasts that rested comfortably on her forearm. “And I guess you’re starting to look good to me plus I’ve still been having those dreams, you know.”

Her eyes widened and full lips parted in surprise. To her knowledge, Justin hadn’t had a wet dream about her since he tripped over an extension cord on the way to class and fell face first into her breasts last year. And even then, he’d still been fond of Darrien and they were stuck in an awkward phase every since they had kissed in the basement. Yet, he had been so riled up and unable to sleep, the following day, he vividly described the dream to Dee in the cafeteria. She only condemned him for always being so horny.

“And this has nothing to do with that incident from last year, right?” Darnell cocked her head to the side with a smirk.

“No! Of course not.” Heat swarmed to his cheeks, and then he lowered his voice to a whisper when the librarian tossed him a glare.

“Okay then,” She closed her drawing pad and shoved it into her backpack, “Since you think you like me, and I don’t have a date for junior prom, you have to go with me.”

“Cool.” Justin shrugged. His answer was smooth and effortless. “You have to go with me to my senior prom then.”

“Okay.” An easy smile appeared on her face, although she was a bundle of nerves on the inside.

“Hey, can I have a hug?” Justin tousled his dusty blonde mane as he waited anxiously for her reply.

Darnell glanced around at the many faces in the library. There was no way she’d allow herself the opportunity to be included in school gossip, especially since Justin was still considered awkward because he carried that damn camera everywhere, he only wore dark-colored clothing, and his hair, curly and usually disheveled, had grown out to his chin.

And she, while making upgrades to her appearance, including monthly manicures and hair appointments, was still an outcast in her own right. That of course was such the life of a highschooler.

“Um…no.” Darnell eventually decided.

Justin sighed, explicitly, “I guess I’ll have to wait for prom night. Maybe I’ll get lucky.” His gaze twinkled as he flaunted a suggestive wink. Darnell gulped, but shielded her nervousness by rewarding him with a punch.

“Don’t expect the same thing you got from that college hoochie Drew set you up with last year.” She said pointedly with disgust.

Justin shrugged, “Hey Drew thought she was my type because she was into the whole grunge thing too. She was wild dude!” Darnell rolled her eyes dramatically while securing the strap of her book bag to one shoulder.

“I’m not going to sit here and listen to this again.” The first time, he woke her up as soon as he got home to tell her about his wild prom night, and she cringed through the entire phone conversation. Best friend or not, she had forbade him to ever discuss his sex life with her again.

“I wasn’t going to say anything about it.”

“Good!” She retorted and Justin snickered at her. “Well, I have art class…so I’m out. See you at 3:05.”

“Alright-I mean a’ight.” He called after her and Darnell tossed a laugh over her shoulder just as she pushed through the library doors.

“Hey Justin. Was that your girl or somethin’?” Justin watched as Landon Stone, just Stone to everyone, claimed Darnell’s vacant see across from him.

Justin was tempted to reply with “or somethin’” to his inquiry, but he settled for just a plain, “No my best friend.”

“Oh the one that hates me?” Landon asked and Justin chose not to respond.

“It’s cool dude. I’m down for the swirl too. We all should live as one, in peace and harmony.” He gave a toothy grin, and Justin’s gaze zeroed in on his yellow-stained teeth.

Landon Stone, the product of Woodstock hippies, was more of an outcast than Darnell and Justin combined. His hair was also of the curly variety, much like Justin’s, yet at least Justin combed his. He appeared raggedy and awfully pale most of the time and his outfits always looked too similar, as if he wore the same one everyday.

He smoked pot like it was going out of style, which is why he was referred to as Stone and never Landon, unless by the school staff.

He smoked pot everyday, morning, noon, night and more than likely in his sleep. He skipped school on a regular basis and on one occasion even handed in a blank exam, but don’t be fooled Landon Stone was smart as a whip.

Justin and Stone had met late last year while in Home Economics class. Stone was supposed to be his partner in the cooking demonstration, but he preferred to observe rather than participate. He claimed he had other things to do.

“Dude! This teacher is total buzz kill. I should’ve skipped today.” He said to no in particular and then noticed Justin, “Hey dude, is that your camera?” He spied the electronic device on his desk.

“Yeah, my mom gave it too me as an early Christmas gift.”

“Ohhh that’s dope.” He replied slowly, while balancing his weight on the two legs of the titled chair.

“Yeah it is.” Justin said while trying to grasp the teacher’s verbal instructions. He had stopped writing notes a while ago, but he attempted to still listen.

“Hey, could you take my picture? Maybe it’ll make it into the senior yearbook next year.” He quickly settled his chair on all four legs and reached for his netted book bag, which was required of all students.

“Just hold on…let-me-get-my-hat…” He searched around the bag and snatched out his hat, yet he seemed to be hunting for something else.

“Oh fuck.” He whispered, to which Justin whispered a, “What?” in response.

“Somebody jacked me for my stuff.”

“What stuff?”

“My stuff.” Stone stressed and then he lowered his voice when Justin still remained clueless, “My pot dude. The rents just gave it to me for my birthday.”

“Oh man.” Justin failed to contain his surprise.

“I know. Wait-did you take it dude cause that would be so fucked up?”

“No, I don’t mess with that stuff.”

“You tried it before?” Stone asked and Justin immediately shook his head. “Dude! You’re missing out but hey more for me.” His wide grin barely reached his eyes, which were half-closed anyway.

“Look dude, class ends in fifteen, but I’ma roll out early. I’ll see you around. Peace.”

Justin had actually seen more of Stone than he ever intended to in these last couple of months. It just so happened that they had a lot of senior classes together and Stone attended a few to chill with Justin in the back of the classroom.

They learned that they shared common likes, except Justin was a little more motivated, and a lot less pale, and he didn’t get high. However, they were both into the grunge rock music scene. Justin was more so only into the music, but imitated the fashion aspect of it as well. Stone, the extreme of the two, was deep, deep into the scene, willing to acquire as much knowledge about “punks” and rockers as he could. He tried everything and anything as long as he had seen a hardcore rocker do it first.

Stone was almost everything Justin was not, but seemed to idolize.

Justin stole a glance at the car keys nestled in Landon’s grasp. “Where are you going?”

“I don’t know. Not to class.” He replied with an all-to-knowing smile. That could only mean one thing; he was going to his day job, Pots R Us.

“So, whatcha doing this weekend?”

“I got a prom to go too.”

“Man that’s wack who am I supposed to get blazed with?”

“Ask somebody else.” Besides Justin had only tried it once after much insistence from Stone.

“You’re killing my buzz right now, I’m out.” Stone dragged himself out of the chair. “Oh tell your girl to holla at me. She’s a hottie now.”

“Stone you’re so fucking high.”

“I know. I think I’ma go work it off in the gym. Later.” And he trudged off, in his well-worn tall brown boots, with the untied shoe strings dragging along the carpet. His tattered jeans that were shredded at that bottom sagged low on his waist and the sleeves of his loose-fitting grey t-shirt almost covered the entire length of his arms. Justin swore he had that outfit on yesterday.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Justin retrieved his textbooks from his backpack and started cramming them into the locker. He hated how small they were, and they were even smaller when Darnell’s things occupied most of the space. As he struggled to get his last book in, Darnell suddenly appeared beside him.

He jumped, caught off guard. “Hey Dee.”

Darnell ignored his simple greeting, attempting to reach for a book in the back of the locker, smashing Justin’s hand in the process.

“Ow! Ouch, wait Dee!”

She tugged insistently until the book fell out of the locker and onto the floor with a loud thud. It wasn’t until she picked up the book, that she had finally acknowledged him.

“What’s up Justin?” Darnell tucked the Chemistry textbook away and slung the backpack over her shoulder.

“What the hell was that Darnell?” Justin wiggled his fingertips in front of her face.

Darnell sighed and fitted her hand to her hip. “Nothin’. You ready to go?” She cocked her head to the side, daring him to say anything else.

“Cool, let’s dip then.” Justin followed as she stomped away, his Chuck Taylor shoe laces dragging behind him.

“Want me to carry your backpack?”

“No.” Darnell retorted quickly, maybe a little too quickly.

She glanced over her shoulder to see a few faces staring at them as they exited the school. Justin turned too.

“What?”

Again she replied with a nonchalant, “nothin’” and continued on their familiar path home. As they reached the corner, Darnell spotted her mother’s black Camry.

What is she doing here?

“Come on sweetie, I have to drop off these groceries because we have some much-needed prom shopping to do.” If there was ever a brighter smile in the world, it was on her mother’s face. Her enthusiasm was very apparent. Darnell wouldn’t be surprised if her mother waited outside for her, fifteen minutes prior to dismissal.

“Oh hello Justin, dear.”

“Hi, Ms. Sim-Victoria.” He corrected himself easily.

“Darnell, honey is that what you wore to school today?” Victoria took in her younger daughter’s appearance with a hint of distaste for the loose-fitting denim jeans and white buttoned-down. The attire did nothing to complement her figure.

“Darrien, you let her wear that?”

Darrien shrugged in response, not saying much of anything to her mother since she had returned home a few hours earlier.

“I’m sixteen. I can dress myself.” Darnell frowned at her mother and then the frown quickly transformed into a smile when she walked around the car to hug her sister.

“Justin get in the car. I’ll give you a drive down to Andrew’s.” Justin happily obliged her request since he wasn’t up to walking today. He slipped into the backseat beside Darnell, nudging her a bit as he moved to close the door. She tossed him a look.

“What?”

“Nothing.”

~*~*~*~

As soon as her feet crossed the threshold of the front door, Darnell ran to the basement. She turned on the game console fully intending to enjoy a few hours of her latest video game, but after about ten minutes she tossed the controller aside and shut off the system.

Darnell reached for the strap of her backpack and slid it across the floor to rest beside her on the floor. She eyed her sketchpad tucked neatly under her notebook and contemplated whether she should work on her drawing of Justin. Sighing, she retrieved her drawing tools and settled the sketchpad atop her crossed legs.

Darnell flipped a couple more pages and found the one she had started last night when she had been unable to sleep. She’d felt compelled to draw Justin with flushed cheeks and a quirky smile that made his eyes crinkle at the edges.

Darnell picked up her charcoal pencil and sketched Justin with fervor. She added finishing touches here and there to his hair and eyes. In fact, she had paid particularly close attention to the detail of his eyes and even more attention to his lips. His lips.

Every since that day two years ago when he had kissed her in the basement; she had produced illustration after illustration of Justin’s lips. It wasn’t until recently, that she had worked up the nerve to actually include his face on her sketchpad.

Darnell, who was singularly focused on her drawing, didn’t think twice to hide her sketchpad when Darrien came down the stairs.

Darrien hovered over her, waiting for her younger sister to acknowledge her. Her eyes skimmed over the picture in awe. “What’s that?” She peered closer, “Wait, is that-is that Justin?”

Heat raced up her neck, and Darnell swore softly. “Uh no,” she said, quickly covering the picture with a her hands.

Darrien slapped her hands away and snatched up the pad. She slowly flipped through the pages. “Oh my God, Dee.” She said, finally landed on the one that Darnell had been working on.

“This looks just like Justin’s dorky ass.” She couldn’t conceal her goofy grin as she glanced at Darnell.

Darnell wiped her nervous palms on her jeans and stood, examining the animated expressions on her sister’s face.

“Look at his hair! And the dazed look in his eyes- he always has that look, you got skills Dee.”

“Thanks. I guess.” Darnell said, chewing her lower lip.

“Girl, you are sprung.” Darrien said after observing the many more pictures of Justin.

Darnell’s eyes widened.

“Are y’all having sex?” The question or accusation “depending on how you looked at it, came out quickly and this time Darnell’s eyes nearly popped out of their sockets.

“No! Give it back.” She yanked the drawing from her hands. “I’m not sprung,” she lied, weakly.

Darrien grinned. “Yeah right girl. You have stars in your eyes but whatever…mommy’s ready to go shopping.”

“I don’t want to go,” she said, flatly.

“You have to. It’s for your prom, which let me remind you is this Saturday, and you have nothing to wear. Besides, she is already waiting in the car and with a full tank of let’s-take-Dee-shopping gas.” Suddenly, the horn blared to confirm that her mother was indeed waiting outside.

Darnell mumbled her disdain under her breath and followed her sister upstairs.

“Is Justin your date?”

“Yeah, he is.” Darnell smiled a little, blush unbelievably tinted her brown cheeks.

Darrien glanced at her, sideways. “And you’re not sprung?”

Clapping both hands over her face, Darnell cried her embarrassment. “And I’m not sprung Darrien.”

“Hmph. Okay, Dee.”

~*~*~*~

Darnell browsed through the dress racks at a languid pace as her fingers brushed across an array of different fabrics- velvet, silk, lace. She flipped through the plastic hangers, hoping the perfect dress would jump out at her. Her eyes thoroughly scanned each dress from top to bottom and she frowned. None of these dresses appealed to her. Prom didn’t appeal to her either, but she wouldn’t dare admit it to her mother’s face.

“Honey, you like this one?” Victoria thrust a beaded gown in her line of vision. It was hideous, an overtly extravagant monster creation that no one in their right mind would wear.

“I hate it.”

“Yeah.” Darrien agreed, and then felt the need to add, “Justin won’t like that dress.”

Darnell glared at her, but Darrien didn’t appear fazed.

“Oh! Justin’s your date?” Victoria asked, clearly relieved. “And, I was worried you would be dateless.” She smiled, walking off to the accessories department.

Darnell rolled her eyes, grabbing two dresses off the rack that were her size. Her choices appeared beautiful hanging on the rack, but the way it would look on her, was a different story entirely. Hopefully, this dress would accommodate her figure and not bring too much emphasis to her round backside or too wide hips.

Frowning, Darnell made her way to the dressing room. She somehow managed to add three more dresses to her possession. One chose by her mother and the other two by her sister.

“Wait, Dee. This one is better.” Darrien snatched the dress from her arms and substituted it with a satin fuchsia gown.

“No more dresses, Darrien.” She moaned pitifully while the heavy material slacked in her arms.

In a cross between a walk and a run, she entered the dressing room and closed the door.

Darnell quickly dragged her jeans down her hips and removed her shirt, opting to leave on her bra and colorful knee-high socks. She reached for the first dress that her fingers grasped and stepped into it. Tweaking the dress to her liking, she pulled the zipper up and frowned at her appearance in the full length mirror. This dress was all wrong, bulky, ill-fitting and just wrong!

“I hate this one! It makes me look fat.” Darnell whined from behind the door.

“Well, let’s see it.” The eagerness in Victoria’s tone was clearly evident.

“There’s no way I’m coming out in this thing.”

“Sweetie, it can’t be that bad. Maybe it’s just the fabric.”

Before Darnell could protest, the door was ripped open. Her mother and sister took in the view and frowns marred their faces.

“Mom!”

“Oh no. Take that dress off. It’s just…”

“Wrong.” Darrien finished for her.

The second and third dress fit a little better, but the colors failed to complement Darnell’s skin complexion. By the time, she had tried on the fourth dress, she was tired and irritated. Sadly, that dress was even worst than the two previous dresses. She had to get out of this boutique as soon as possible.

“Can we go now?”

“No!” Both Victoria and Darrien protested at the same time.

“You haven’t tried on the dress I picked out.” Darrien reminded.

Darnell peeked at the fuchsia dress still on the hanger behind her and sighed. “This is the last dress if it’s ugly I’m just not going to prom.”

She slipped on the dress quickly and was surprised to find that she actually loved the dress. It could be a little less tight around her hips and rear, but it was beautiful nonetheless.

The strapless taffeta gown, accented with beading and ruching along the bodice, gathered at her waist perfectly. The front slit on the left side gave the dress the dramatic effect she needed. She had never been one for girly colors, but even she had to admit that fuchsia looked good against her brown skin.

“ Dee you’re not saying anything in there. So how does it look? Come out and let us see.” Darnell contemplated locking the door, suddenly feeling self-conscious about the dress. Was it too tight? Did it show too much? Would her mother and sister approve? Would Justin?

“Hey isn’t that Justin?”

Justin! Darnell hoped against hope that it wasn’t Justin and that her sister was just seeing things.

“Where?”

“Out there by the newsstand.”

“Yes, that is him. What is he doing here? And who is that girl with him?” If she didn’t know any better, she would have thought her mother was upset to see Justin with another girl. And it turned out she was.

Hearing the quick footsteps, Darnell pushed the door open and peeked outside of the dressing room to see Justin and Whitney Dickerson at the newsstand. Whitney Dickerson! The tramp/ex-friend, who tried to push up on Justin back at the 8th grade winter formal.

Darnell narrowed her eyes, but caught herself when she noticed the grin on Darrien’s face.

“Who’s that girl, Dee?”

“I don’t know her,” she lied.

“Well, I’m going to go find out who she is. How dare she try to still my baby’s date…” Victoria made a quick move towards the exit but Darrien jumped in front of her.

“Mom, no. Please just leave it alone. You could be wrong. Tell her she’s wrong Dee. Tell her!”

“You’re wrong mom.” Darnell replied flatly and with little excitement as she peered curiously at Justin and Whitney outside in front of the boutique.

“I am never wrong and that little, little…skank has an agenda. She has that look in her eyes.”

Darnell and Darrien gasped, instantly surprised at their mother’s demeanor, so unlike her usual proper behavior, yet this was her opportunity to put on a performance so she would run with it. And since this performance coincided so perfectly with the outcome of Darnell’s first prom, which Victoria cared about greatly, she’d perform to the extreme if necessary.

“Mom, let it go. See she’s leaving. She’s walking away.”

“Look at him Darrien. He’s blushing, nervous and can’t even look the girl in the eye. I’m going over there.” Victoria’s defiant attitude made Darrien throw up her hands.

“Mom. He doesn’t want her.” Darnell’s reply of certainty attracted curious’ gazes. Darrien hid her smile.

“Fine.” Victoria relented with a pout as if she had been itching for the opportunity to teach Whitney a thing or two. Perhaps, if this same scene had happened three years ago, Darnell might have let her.

“So let’s see this dress.”

Darnell stepped out with a hesitant smile.

“Oh you look good girl. Poor Justin.”

Her smile widened at her sister’s approval, but then faltered when her mother just stared at her.

“Oh my.” Was that good or bad?

“She looks tight, right mom?”

“Oh my.” Victoria repeated and Darnell wanted to disappear beneath the ceramic floor tiles.

“What?” Darrien finally spoke up, sending her mother a questioning glare.

“You’re right. It is a little tight.” Victoria said, completely misinterpreting the slang term.

“Not that tight. I love the fit and the color. You look fab.” Darrien smiled, reassuring her sister.

“Well your father will hate it, but your boobs look great so he will get over it.”

“Oh I can’t wait to see you all made up!” Victoria finally cooed with excitement as she leaned over to give Darnell and unexpected hug. While Darnell remained still, in awe, Victoria shared her enthusiasm with Darrien.

“It will be perfect.”

~*~*~*~

Prom Night

Justin tweaked his tie and fussed with his hair as he stared at his reflection in the mirror. He attempted to dress with care and thanks to Andrew he might have actually pulled it off this time.

Justin wore a white two-button notch tux, complete with a white diamond-patterned vest and fuchsia tie. The fuchsia tie, yet formal, still had the edge he desired. It featured an argyle style print with gray skulls. He contemplated wearing his brand new all white Chuck Taylor’s but switched them for the white rounded-toe dressier shoes at the last minute.

There was a knock on the door and then Andrew poked his head inside, “Hey, you good to go?”

“Yup. Are you giving me a ride to Dee’s or do I have to ask mom?” Justin frowned.

“No. You can take my car, here.” He tossed him the keys.

“Wait, you’re not going to see Darrien?” Andrew shook his head. “B-but you haven’t seen her in months.”

“Yeah…” He shrugged, “Talked to her on the phone last week though.”

“Last week?” Justin’s eyes bulged, “So she doesn’t even know you’re in town? Man, that’s mad shady.”

“Me! She’s the shady one-don’t ask me what she did. I don’t want to talk about it.” He finalized the end of their discussion by turning towards the door. He quickly paused as if there was something he forgot to mention and faced Justin once again.

“Oh Ms. Victoria is going to freak out when she sees your hair.” He gave the impression that he was amused as he adjusted Justin’s tie.

Justin shrugged nonchalantly and ruffled his damp hair some more. Glancing at the clock on his dresser, he noticed that he was running a little behind schedule. He hurriedly buttoned his jacket, dug his fingers into his hair one last time and exited the room. Andrew followed.

“Hey, did you tell Dee that you like her yet?” Justin responded with a goofy ass smile.

“I’m guessing that is yes. What did she say?” Justin’s grin distorted into a pout.

“Nothing, but she’s been buggin’ since I told her.”

“Buggin’ huh?” Andrew smirked.

“Yup. She goes all crazy every time I go near her.

“And you’re going to her prom why?”

“Because…” Justin shrugged again “She said I had to.”

“ Dee has you whipped.”

“I am not whipped!” Justin turned beet red at the insult, “You suck Drew.” He sulked and exited the bedroom while Andrew laughed in his face.

Suddenly Lynn glided into the hallway sporting a 60 watt smile. She frowned when she noticed him by the door, “Justin! Were you going to leave without telling me?”

Not waiting for a response, her eyes widened as she took his appearance, “Look at my handsome son!” She fussed with his tie and then the lapels of his jacket. Lastly, she flicked a damp curl out of his eye.

“Thanks mommy.” Justin groaned.

“Mommy?” Andrew cracked up from his corner of the hallway.

“Shut up Drew.” They snapped in unison. No sooner than a second after, Lynn was beaming again.

“This is definitely better than last year. I don’t know what you were thinking, but anyway…smile.” The camera clicked before he was ready.

“Okay mom, you know how Mr. Simmons gets when I’m late so…”

“Okay, okay one more picture.” Anxiously, she snapped away at the several expressions enhancing his features until she ran out of film. “Alright, you can go.” His mother finally conceded with a pout.

“Make sure you take lots of pictures of you and Darnell, okay”do you have enough batteries for your camera? Wait right here I’ll get you some.” She pointed a firm finger in his direction and spun on her heels towards the kitchen. Justin moaned aloud and rolled his eyes heavenward.

“Mom I have to go! Bye! Peace out Drew.”

“Okay…well be careful honey!” The hard slam of the front door was the only response.

~*~*~*~

Twisting and turning in front of the tall bathroom mirror that was conveniently attached to the back of the door, Darnell studied her facade, stunned and unconvinced that the reflection was actually hers. Her lengthy tresses were flat-ironed and pinned in an array of loose curls atop her head with a few strands surrounding her face.

Her eyes, usually its standard brown hue, were now defined by a smoky outline and framed with thicker, glossier lashes. A dark pink almost natural-looking tint highlighted her eyelids and her lips were emphasized simply by a clear gloss.

Pivoting her head to the right and then the left, Darnell pursed her lips unsure of whether or not she liked the hint of rosy blush that Darrien insistently dusted upon her cheeks. She decided at the last minute that she didn’t. It was too over-the-top for her taste. And she looked exactly like her mother. That thought alone caused Darnell to frown.

Suddenly, Victoria breezed into the bathroom as if knowing that she was the subject of her daughter’s thoughts. Darnell jumped back before the door slammed into her. She stopped short after taking in Darnell’s appearance.

“Oh honey.” Victoria’s hand instantly flew to her mouth. Her eyes glossed over with emotion, “You look so beautiful!” She choked out.

“Mom, I’m still wearing my bath robe.” Darnell rolled her eyes.

“But your face is gorgeous and your hair….it’s stunning!” Her now trembling hand slipped down to where her heart was beating excitedly in her chest. Twirling towards the door opening, she poked her head out and called loudly for her eldest daughter.

“Darrien come into the bathroom!”

“Mom, stop being a drama queen. Darrien did my hair and my makeup. She knows what it looks like.” She smirked and yet her mother waved her off. Darrien came bouncing in the room with her newly purchased cell phone attached to one ear.

“Calvin, let me call you back.” She snapped the phone shut and slid it into her small silver clutch. “What’s up Mom?”

“Look at your sister. Isn’t she just beautiful? Looks just like me when I was younger except a little curvier, but that’s a good thing sweetheart.” She added and put a comforting hand on Darnell’s shoulder when she frowned. “I just-it’s such a rarity to see you look this pretty. This night will be so special! I’ll be right back.” She rushed out of the bathroom but not before tossing a beaming smile over her shoulder.

“ Dee, where’s your dress? Justin will be here soon.”

Darnell shrugged nonchalantly, “The dress is on my bed.” In reply, Darrien hurried out of the room. She returned seconds later with a handful of fuchsia material.

“Here put this on.”

“Now?” Darnell asked, although Darrien had already shoved the dress into her open arms.

“Yeah. And hurry up. It’s…” She glanced at her watch. “6:45pm now and you have to be out of the house by 7:30. Is Justin driving Andrew’s car tonight?”

“I think so. I didn’t ask though.” Darnell said as she began to untie her robe. It slipped from her shoulders into a puddle around her feet. Afterwards, she stood insecurely before her older sister with the perkier breasts and not-as-wide-as-hers hips, wearing only her brand-new fuchsia strapless, extra support satin bra with a fancy lace trim and a pair of matching lace panties.

Suddenly, Darnell was studying Darrien’s appearance in an attempt to convince herself that once she was finally all made up she would look as good as Darrien currently did in an as slim-fit, knee-length and teal floral print dress that was narrow at the waist but expanded fully the hips. The scoop neckline only revealed minimal cleavage and yet still, she looked effortlessly amazing. Darnell tried her hardest not to express her jealousy.

“So why are you all dressed up?”

“Going to see Drew and maybe we’ll go out. We had a fight over the phone so I’m not too sure about that but hey.” She shrugged and a hint of sadness flickered in her gaze, “I’ll surprise him and see what happens.”

“So who’s Calvin?” Darnell looked up at her suspiciously while sliding a barefoot through the opening of her dress.

“Don’t look at me like that Dee. He’s just a friend I met while up in Pittsburgh. But anyway, it’s 7:00 so you need to hurry up. Oh that was the doorbell, Justin’s here. Come on Dee!”

“Okay, okay.” Amongst her sister’s frantic screams, Darnell shimmied the rest of her body into the dress. She turned around as Darrien zipped up the back. She felt the zipper stall and instinctively sucked in her stomach.

“Sorry the zipper got caught.” Darrien announced and Darnell immediately smirked, doubting how truthful that assessment was.

“All of this work better be worth it…” Darnell finally exhaled once the zipper was fully secure. “…Damnit, mommy was right. This is a little tight.” She inspected her backside in the mirror. “God, my ass looks freakin’ huge and my hips-!” She smoothed her hands over the cup of her rear as if that would minimize its voluptuousness.

“Chill out Dee. You look fine and Justin will drool and stutter over it so that’s all that matters.”

“Yeah I guess so.” She said, not at all convinced.

Meanwhile, waiting outside the front door, Justin was facing a similar dilemma of uncertainty. He remembered how nervous he was the last time he took Darnell to a school dance and how demanding and intimidating her father had been.

To this day, he was still embarrassed about how he stuttered like a fool and his voice squeaked whenever Mr. Simmons asked him question.

When the door suddenly opened and the silhouette of a large man filled the doorway, Justin hoped this wasn’t the beginning of the same night all over again.

Justin deliberately cleared his throat, “Hey, Mr. Simmons.”

“Justin.” He simply nodded and then his eyes narrowed, “That’s how you’re going to wear your hair huh? Straight and in your face like that? Tell me son…did you comb it at least?”

“Yes sir.” Justin replied hoarsely.

“Hmm, well, come on in.” Mr. Simmons stepped aside and Justin squeezed between him and the small opening. Justin stiffened when he bumped his arm. He glanced at Mr. Simmons with alarm.

Mr. Simmons chuckled. It was the first time Justin had ever seen him smile in all of four years. He cupped Justin’s shoulder and slammed the door with a loud thud. Justin tensed again but at least he wasn’t stuttering.

“Relax son. I want you to meet Dee’s uncles and her Aunt.”

“Okay.” Justin choked as Mr. Simmons led him into the living room. Meeting more relatives of the male species was a little more than he could handle tonight.

“That’s my baby sister, her Auntie Darryl. And over there are my twin brothers, Darrien and the muscle head one is her namesake, Uncle D.” As Mr. Simmons made the introductions no one else said a word. Auntie Darryl attempted a smile as she observed him. The other identical faces were identically puzzled. Justin was petrified.

“Hey Justin.” They all finally mumbled at once, “Nice to meet you.”

“That’s a dope tie man.” Uncle Darrien or Uncle D muttered. He didn’t know which one.

“Thanks.” Justin looked down at said tie just to make sure that he didn’t look as weird as everyone made it appear.

“Sweetheart have a seat. Dee’s going to be a while longer.” Auntie Darryl beckoned him over and then patted the empty cushion beside her. Justin rushed over and the moment he lowered into the seat, all eyes were again on him. His gaze darted back and forth between the four of them.

“Justin we’re sorry for staring but…we’re all wondering about your hair.” Auntie Darryl inquired with a tight smile.

“Oh Dee said Justin thinks he’s a rockstar.” Mr. Simmons teased.

“Oh I get it, like Kurt Cobain huh?” Again, he didn’t know which one had asked, but he smiled from ear to ear anyway. He was happy that someone had finally realized what look he was going for.

“Yup.” Justin relaxed against the cushions.

“I think it’s cool but Vicki, she’s going to kill you.”

“Oh man.” He had shrugged it off when Andrew had made a similar assumption but now he was actually scared. Ms. Victoria could be as intimidating as her husband.

Telling everyone that he was going to the bathroom, Justin abruptly stood. Everyone shared a laughed at his expense while he made his way to the staircase. He hurried down the hall until he heard voices coming from the bathroom. Darrien and Darnell were discussing Andrew and then he heard his name. He moved closer and began to listen. The door was slightly ajar so he clearly heard everything that they were saying. However, he hadn’t expected to catch a glimpse of Darnell through the opening. Justin’s gaze immediately expanded in size.

By now, he should’vebeen used to how different Darnell looked every time she was made up, however, it was such a rarity, that each time he’d witness the transformation he was shocked, speechless. Thankfully, he had now learned to control his body reactions to seeing such a sight. Well, that was before his brain registered the fact that Darnell wasn’t exactly fully dressed.

She was wearing her gown, but supporting the front bodice with her crossed forearms as she waited for Darrien to zip her up. Cleavage and then some spilled out of the top of her dress.

Justin gulped and wiped his sweaty palms against his pants. He forced himself to walk away, however, not before Darnell spied him through the opening. Her mouth dropped open and she gasped.

“Justin what are you doing?” He whirled around to Ms. Victoria who had come up behind him. She choked and took a step back when she saw his appearance, particularly his hair.

“Justin!” She shrieked and no sooner than a second later, he heard the rumblings of feet bounding up the stairs. His eyes darted to Darnell before he heard Mr. Simmons’ booming voice.

“Justin, what the hell are you doing? Are you trying to peak at Dee-!” Mr. Simmons stalked towards him and Justin automatically backed into the wall.

“No sir I wa-was just g-going to the baatth-room. I didn’t know that D-Dee was in th-there” So much for not stuttering.

“ Davis forget about that! Do you see his hair! That is unacceptable. And oh my God, it’s not even fully dried!” She noted when she tentatively fingered it and then quickly snatched her hand back.

“Calm down Vicki. He’s experimenting. That’s what teenager’s do.”

“Don’t you call me Vicki!” She stomped over to one of Darnell’s uncles and put a firm finger to his chest. “And I know he likes to experiment with his style but this is not the night for that. This was supposed to be Darnell’s special night damnit.” Everyone stood still at hearing Victoria curse.

Darnell stood on the other side of the door, catching a few glances of Justin’s deer caught in the headlights expression before her father reached over and pulled the door shut with a thunderous bang. He pinned Justin with a murderous glare and then focused on his wife. He wrapped one arm around her waist and led her down the hall.

“Calm down honey. Let’s get you something strong to drink okay?” She slowly nodded in response, yet seemed ready to faint at any moment. While Victoria continued to mumble incoherent phrases about his hair, they disappeared downstairs.

Again, Uncle Darrien, Uncle D, and Auntie Darryl erupted in laughter. Auntie Darryl knocked on the bathroom door.

“ Dee girl hurry up in there before your momma kills your date!” She said in between laughs.

“You know Justin…you made Ms. Uppity and Perfect curse so you’re alright with me.” Seeing that Justin was still in a daze, he had to lift his limp fist to pound against his.

“Yeah,” The other twin jumped in, “How ‘bout I let you hold my car tonight?”

“Really?” Justin finally blinked out of his stupor.

“Sure, anything for baby girl to have her special night.” He emphasized with a quick glance to the staircase. Justin followed his gaze before refocusing. “However, if you wreck my baby, expect to have my foot broke off in your ass. Are you clear on that?”

Justin swallowed the lumped in his throat, “ Crystal.”

“Good.” His serious and firm expression was quickly replaced with a smile as he clapped onto Justin’s shoulder. “Let’s go wait for Dee in the living room.” As they all began to file out of the hallway, Justin heard the scrape of the door as it opened and looked over his shoulder to see Darnell poking her head out. They shared a nervous glance before Darnell gave him a once over.

The corner of her lip lifted as she held back the urge to laugh. Justin frowned unsure if whether it was his appearance that she found amusing or the situation itself. Later, he just shrugged and uttered a short laugh. Afterwards, he thoroughly observed Darnell, well what he could see of her. He quickly gave her a thumbs-up of approval.

She smirked and then smiled shyly before ducking her head back inside the bathroom. The door slammed behind her. When Justin turned back around, both of Darnell’s uncles were glaring at him.

“Don’t even think about it.”

Justin gave them a wide-eye stare and stumble ahead of them towards the stairs.

back next

Name: Email Address:
Chapter End Notes:
More of Dee and Justin in the old days to continue in the next chapter...

Incomplete
Kahlymilla is the author of 4 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 13 members. Members who liked Divorce is a Bitter Pill to Swallow also liked 452 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story