Story Notes:
Vaguely, and I mean it, vaguely, based on Jane Austen's novel Persuasion. I intended this story to be more similar but as I was writing it just went off on its own little journey, haha.
Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey! So this is my first fic, like, ever. So please be gentle and let me know what you think! I'm pretty sure the rest of the chapters are going to be much longer than this, but I'm just putting this out here to see what the general response is...if there is a response, haha!

 “Who do you suppose he is?” Holly Porter sneered with a roll of her eyes as she sipped her champagne.

From a very young age the Porter girls had learned that at benefit dinners like these there was always someone watching and to point at the subject of ones discussion or stare pointedly was a recipe for gossip at best. There were other ways to communicate. It was only because of their many years of practice that Gemma caught the subtle tilt of Holly’s head and the dart of her eyes towards the archway to the left.

Gemma’s eyes followed Holly’s and found the source of her question. The man was leaning easily against one side of an archway, his legs crossed at the ankle, and was surrounded by practically half a dozen giggling women. Gemma scoffed to herself before turning to her sister and shrugging her shoulders.

“I have no idea, Holly. Maybe you sh-”

Laughter. Gemma’s head whipped back to the man in the archway and took him in once more. She watched as his head tipped back in laughter and a gasp slipped from her throat, how could she not have noticed before? The angle of the shoulders, the way he held his glass of liquor – it had to be jack – and dear God, his laugh. His head was shaved the last time she saw him, but that shouldn’t count as an excuse, Gemma once knew those curls backwards and forwards.

The quick thrust of Holly’s champagne glass into her hand pulled Gemma out of her thoughts and she could do nothing but watch with weak knees as her sister walked up to the man she once loved and tapped on his shoulder. It was loud at the venue, but Gemma swore she could hear her heart pound when he turned around to face her sister.

“Hi,” She gave him a smile and pushed a bit of her auburn hair over her shoulder. “I don’t think we’ve met. I’m Holly Porter.”

Gemma held her breath, waiting for the recognition of their shared last name to show on his face, for his eyes to miraculously find hers in contempt and spite, but instead of cold acknowledgment he returned Holly’s smile and offered his hand.

“You’re right, I don’t think we have met,” He cocked his head to the side with a smile, “Ever. I’m Justin Timberlake,” He said and shook her hand firmly.

There was no doubting now that it really was him, returning to their hometown after five years. As Justin chatted good-naturedly with her sister, Gemma’s eyes roved over him, taking in the light stubble across his neck and chin and his glasses perched on that adorably curved nose. Even from across the large living room Gemma could hear Holly’s voice clearly, “Are you new to town?” Holly questioned, “I definitely would have noticed you before.”

Great, Gemma thought, she’s flirting.

Justin, ever the charmer, chose not to disagree with Holly’s assumption. “Yeah,” He nodded, “I’m fairly new here, and I know we haven’t met before. It would be impossible for me to forget someone with such a beautiful name.”

Holly preened. “If you want to meet some other people my sister’s here too.”

Gemma’s hand fisted in the side of her dress. No. There was no way in hell she was seeing him tonight. No. Gemma bolted from her place near their table, leaving both champagne glasses on top of an empty dinner plate, and headed for the exit. She was not seeing him tonight.

Holly turned away from Justin to wave Gemma over only to find she had disappeared. “Hm,” Holly pouted, “She’s not there anymore.”

“I’m sure I’ll meet her some other time,” Justin supplied with a wink.

Holly grinned and nodded her head in agreement, “I’m sure. So, Justin, what brings you to this party?”

----

Gemma turned to the bathroom mirror and locked the door from behind. No, no, no no no, this couldn’t be happening. He left. He had left five years ago. Bracing herself against the counter top Gemma turned the faucet on and plunged her hands under the icy stream, more to block out the thoughts in her head than to clean. Why was he back? Why was he here, at this party? Would he recognize her? Gemma scoffed and turned the water off a little too forcefully. Of course he would recognize her, she really hadn’t changed that much. Her eyes were still blue, her hair still long, straight, and brown. She really hadn’t changed at all.

“Now what?” She asked her reflection.

Should she stay here until the party is surely over? “No,” she whispered as she checked the clock on her phone, “That will be hours from now.”

Should she try to sneak out the back? “Yes!” Gemma decided that was perfect. “No,” she decided a split second later, she had valet parked tonight.

With a final sigh and a glance at her reflection in the mirror Gemma knew there was only one way out. Through the front door. It wouldn’t be that hard, she rationalized, there had to be at least a hundred people at the party tonight, all mingling between the round, linen covered tables that were set up in the dining hall. All she had to do was make it from the bathroom to the valet without being seen by Justin or her sister and she would be home free. Easy. She took another deep breath and opened the bathroom door cautiously, searching the many people milling about for either Justin or Holly with no sign of either of them. Gemma grinned, today, luck was on her side.

Not ten steps away from the bathroom door she heard the familiar tenor that could only belong to one Justin Timberlake.

“Gems!” He raved, “Is that you?”

She froze. Taking one last wistful glance at the open front door she turned to face him, bracing herself. For what, she wasn’t sure.

“Wow, it’s been way too long!” He was about five feet away and from where she stood he looked ecstatic to see her. With a grin he waved her over and kept talking. “Like what, five years?” His mouth turned up in a wide smile, but as she approached Gemma could see his eyes were steely, daring her to question him.

She reached out and splayed her right palm against the round table next to her. She needed something to lean on. Was this really happening? Justin opened his arms wide to hug her and sooner than she was prepared his scent surrounded her. Instinctively Gemma tensed her body as his arms found their way around her shoulders and back, it wasn’t an intimate hug by any means, but his proximity coupled with the familiar scent of his aftershave mixed with fabric softener was too much. She had to get away. With a tactful push to the chest meant to look like the helpful adjustment of his lapel she found a way to escape his embrace.

Gemma cleared her throat, “Yeah,” She gave an awkward chuckle, “Yeah, I think you’re right.”

“Man,” he gave a whistful smile, “I almost didn’t recognize you!”

Gemma observed him suspiciously and fought not to roll her eyes, what did he mean by that? She looked exactly the same as she did when she last saw him. Her hair was a little longer, but still the same color, she hadn’t gained or lost any weight, what was he getting at? Should she have looked different? Was he calling her boring? These are stupid questions her mind screamed.

“A lot can change in five years, huh?” She challenged. Her blue eyes connecting with his as she arched a brow.

Justin adjusted the button on his tux, looking more like the man she knew from the past, his blue-grey eyes going from jovial to…to something else in an instant.

“But some things stay the same,” He stated.

Together they held eye contact for what could have possibly been too long to be appropriate for long-lost acquaintances, but there was something in his eyes that made Gemma not want to look away. Something familiar. Something she couldn’t put her finger on.  

Hope? Was it hope in his eyes? She wondered. He looked away. Yes, yes it was. She was certain.

“I’ve got an early morning tomorrow,” Justin started, rubbing the back of his neck restlessly, “I really should be heading home. It was great to see you again Gemma. Breanna.” He nodded at a girl to the left, who up until then had gone completely unnoticed by Gemma. The girl whose name was apparently Breanna smiled at Justin and gave a cold glare to Gemma before walking off in the opposite direction.

As abruptly as their conversation started, it was over, leaving Gemma standing rooted in her place, fighting for the control of her breath and watching Justin make his way through the crowd. Moments passed and when she saw Justin finally make his way through the front doors she felt she was able to move again.

“A lot can change in five years,” she murmured to herself one more time before she held out her left hand and watched as her engagement ring glittered up at her happily, proudly. Its glint from the lights above shone in her eyes and forced them away from the offending stone.

Suddenly nauseous, Gemma made the quick and easy conclusion that her night had been eventful enough and it was time for her to leave. Without looking for or saying goodbye to her sister, and luckily, with no interference from her position in the hall to the valet station Gemma managed to get to her car and began her journey home.

Chapter End Notes:

Heyyy, so if any of you reading are interested in betaing my story let me know! Email me at heartsevolve@gmail.com and we can chat it up! Hope you enjoyed. EEEE NERVOUS!



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story