Author's Chapter Notes:

This all came together with a little help from a friend. Thanks lovie face! ;)

 

 

He noticed his brother running back up the sand toward him, figuring that Tyler was ready for a break from playing. Noah appeared to still be in high energy and kept interest in playing with the little girl who'd become his Frisbee partner.

"Want a juice box?" He asked, with a chuckle, as Tyler sat down beside him.

"Of course, I want one, daddy!" Tyler replied with his own chuckle.

JC opened up the mini cooler he'd packed and fished a grape juice box out for his brother, handing it to the younger man.

"Thanks. So, why are you just sitting back and hiding under the umbrella? I'm sure Noah wants you to play with him too. This isn't just The Uncle Tyler Show."

"Mmm...I will. I'll probably swim with him in a little bit. I've just been thinking about stuff."

And then he did it. He couldn't hold it in a second longer. He just blurted it out.

"Noelle's here!" Tyler looked at him confused.

"What do you mean? Noelle is here?" JC nodded and then bobbed his head over in Noelle's direction.

"That's exactly what I mean. See her?"

Tyler looked in Noelle's direction and he knew the beauty under the yellow beach umbrella, still on her cell phone, was indeed his brother's former lover and Noah's mother.

"Oh yeah...that's her, Josh. So....what's the big deal? Go on over to her. I know you want to."

JC shook his head. He wasn't particularly happy about seeing the woman he still lusted over, while he was on the beach trying to celebrate a birthday he wasn't too keen on celebrating.

Yeah, he did see her almost every week when they'd take turns having Noah. She'd come over and drop Noah off and vice versa. Yet, their words were quickly exchanged and didn't include anything about their past. Just simple hellos and goodbyes, with maybe a couple sentences of small talk. Though he had a hard time giving her eye contact during those encounters, knowing he'd get lost in her eyes that were like a spring meadow of green.

He'd gotten lost in them many times before. Including the day they first met.

It had been after touring for his debut album, Schizophrenic, had ended and he was all excited to get back to work on another album. He'd gone into Jive, all prepared to have a meeting with some executives. He was going to throw out some ideas and get some studio time scheduled. While, he was in the meeting, Noelle had walked in late, but quietly took a seat at the conference table he and the executives were at. Once all the major discussion had ended, Noelle was quickly introduced. It turned out she was a new hire for Jive Records and was going to help them out with marketing and artist development, among other things here and there.

He loved how she didn't appear star-struck and treated him like a normal guy as they engaged in small talk after the meeting. He'd invited her to have lunch with him before he actually went to tinker around in the studio that day. Their lunch had been quite perfect...honestly. They had a connection right away that became apparent before their check even came. She'd opened up about being passionate about music, but not being an entertainer herself. So her next best thing was to help those who were destined to entertain. She also told him how she'd moved to LA not too long ago to try and get her career in motion. He told her how he had done the whole debut album thing and was looking forward to a sophomore album. How he couldn't do anything else, but music. He just really poured more of his heart out to her than he normally did to a girl he'd just met. Though he couldn't have helped it. She just made him laugh and feel himself, as if she'd been an old friend. Plus, she was gorgeous and he had definitely noticed it.

As time went on, he and Noelle had gone on an official first date. That one date had then turned into many dates. Their chemistry was on fire and their lust for one another grew in intensity. Not only would they see each other when they went on dates, but also when they'd bump into each other at Jive or industry events. Word had spread that JC Chasez was falling for the new marketing girl and at first it sounded like good publicity. So when JC finally asked Noelle to be his girlfriend, during a romantic evening on Valentine's Day 2005 where she had gladly made their relationship official, Jive didn't have a care in the world. Jive was in the music business not the business of love.

Noelle began appearing with JC everywhere and even cheered for him on the sidelines at the July 2005, Challenge For the Children celebrity basketball game. Their romance had heated up that summer and he could even see a future with her. Which was quite a feat for JC, seeing as many considered him a commitment-phobe or too focused to settle down just yet. Though he was busy in the studio, trying to bring life to another album, he was making time for Noelle. He was balancing everything as best as he could.

So when Valentine's Day 2006, rolled around, their one year anniversary turned into an even bigger celebration. It also came with news that would require juggling both of their careers and a baby at the same time. Noelle had announced she was pregnant. It had been unexpected, but seeing as they had a hard time taking their hands off each other, it had been quite the possibility. They had promised each other they could make it work and that even with JC wanting to release Kate in the new year, that a baby wouldn't derail that. It would just give JC more inspiration.


So he continued to diligently work on his music and even started doing press, knowing this time around he'd really have to bring it. Noelle was encouraging, still concerned about his well-being and how his album was coming together, despite the fact her belly was growing and she was preparing for a baby. They had decided that Noelle would move into JC's house and so it had quickly turned into babyland. Noelle did what work she could still do, but the impending birth seemed to come quicker than a flash of lightning.

Mid-October 2006, Noah Scott Chasez, made his presence into the world. JC and Noelle fell in love with the little guy right away. He looked a lot like his daddy, but had his mother's nose. He became the most important thing in their lives and they even protected him as best as they could from paparazzi and any sort of publicity. JC was adamant his son wouldn't be a victim of his father's fame. So Noelle and JC, raised him as best as they could being first time parents.

Yet, despite the joy of a baby boy, the joy of JC's forthcoming sophomore album seemed to fade. He worked on his music at home while Noah slept and he'd get real studio time away from the house when Noelle or family and friends were available. He had so many sleepless nights and he was losing faith in his record label as well. Almost everything he had pitched to them, just wasn't what they wanted him to release. Everything they suggested to him in return wasn't the music JC wanted to release. It was like a tug of war and the music industry had changed from *NSYNC days. He hated believing so strongly in his own ideas and the songs he created, to have them all shattered and disrespected.

Then when he actually went out to do his own publicity, it was such a joke. Jive told him he could have a 2007 spring or summer release for his sophomore album. Yet, they weren't properly supporting him, nor marketing him. Which was pretty tragic when his girlfriend was suppose to be apart of the team to do that. He went at it indie-style, going to radio stations and handing them copies of the single he hoped to release. You Ruined Me had been inspired by Noelle and was radio-friendly. He thought it would definitely fit into mainstream music and give him another chance for true success. He even met fans along the way, having pizza parties and such with them. He wanted his music heard once more, yet his talent was being treated like crap. Noelle insisted that Jive would come around and told him not to give up. Yet, he knew they weren't coming around.

He didn't want to do it, but he came to terms with it. There was nothing else, but to leave Jive Records. He put his heart and soul into music that he knew would never get heard with them controlling his career. So it was time he took control and just pulled the plug.

So a month shy of Noah's first birthday, JC split from Jive, ending his ties with them. He knew in his heart it was the right thing to do, even if it hurt. They had treated him so well as a boy band member, but as a soloist it was as if they forgot who he was.

So he decided he'd focus on song-writing and producing, helping others to get the success he had failed to achieve. Though he spent more time with Noah and Noelle, things with Noelle began to crumble just a week after his split with Jive.

She began taking her career a lot more seriously and being Jive's go-to woman. They had her working on major projects for them and with stars that they had deemed as more talented and important than JC ever was. She started to really make connections and while JC was home with Noah, Noelle was schmoozing it up with the Backstreet Boys and other artists on the label at the time. Her image as the sweet, doe-eyed girl he first met, was being erased and the business was getting to her.

Though he still loved her as much as he always had, so it was a shocker to his heart when she decided to pull the plug on them. She came home one night just being a different person and telling him that she was breaking up with him. That she'd still help him raise Noah and they could have joint custody, but that their romance had to end.

He didn't understand it and he still didn't understand it. All he knew was that that had been the worst time of his life. The irony of him splitting up with Jive and Noelle splitting up with him at almost the same time had been freaking bittersweet.

So for almost the past three years, Noah had been taking turns being with his parents. JC was glad that they had at least been civil to keep up this arrangement and still let their little boy know both of his parents. Though he also knew that soon Noah would be starting school and that this arrangement wouldn't work anymore. One of them would have to get the short-end of the stick and only get him on weekends. JC had a feeling it would be him, knowing that his luck wasn't anything to brag about.

His luck with girls post-Noelle was evident of that.

He had a couple flings, but nothing really came of them. It seemed as if he was living in the land where thirty-somethings were still expected to act like twenty-somethings and have one nightstands all the time. It was all about who you could sleep with and how much fun you had partying.

Yet, with Noah, JC had a new mindset and he needed that girl that would settle down. That girl that would look past his unlucky career and see him for Josh, imperfections and all. That girl that appreciated his intellect and his heart, but wouldn't brag that she sexed him up. He was older now and priorities had changed. He feared he'd continue to grow older alone.

"Josh!" Tyler yelled after what seemed like an eternity of his brother not speaking.

"What?" He sighed, realizing he'd been silent and been watching scantily-clad California girls in bikinis that passed by. Though they had been nice eye-candy, they didn't make his heart race like Noelle.

"You spaced out on me or something and your son just ran over to his mother." He quickly turned his head and sure enough Noelle was hugging Noah and laughing with him.

"I was just watching what walked past me." He muttered. "Shit, I guess I have to go talk to her now."

Tyler patted his brother's back for some moral support. "You know that I know that Noelle has always been on your mind. She left you with memories that you still cherish and no matter how hard you try to watch girls in bikinis on the beach, they'll never erase what you feel. I just wish you'd stop playing and get her back man."

JC simply nodded and then let out a sigh, standing up from the ground. "Wish me luck." He whispered.

He headed over to where Noelle was and when he approached her, he shyly waved. It was as if he was a schoolboy with a crush and he was afraid to really say or do anything. He let her say hello first.

"Hi, Josh. I had no clue you'd be here." She smiled, taking her sunglasses off, revealing those eyes he saw every night he closed his eyes.

"Mommy's here!" Noah cried out in glee, as if JC was oblivious to the fact.

"I see that, buddy." He mustered up a smile. "Hi, Noelle."

"So, it's your birthday, right?" She asked with her heart-melting smile. He was relieved in a way that she at least remembered that fact.

"Yeah. The big 3-4. Thought we'd come to the beach."

"That's cool. I'm sure you're having a blast. Noah was telling me how much fun he had playing Frisbee." JC motioned over his shoulder to his brother, ways off in the distance.

"Yeah, he was playing with my brother. Tyler and him get along so well."

"I'm glad. Your brother always was sweet to me." JC simply nodded his head and then he felt Noah tugging at his hand. It was as if the little boy was wanting him to sit down.

"No, buddy. Daddy's fine standing." Noah continued to tug harder and looked up at his daddy.

"Mommy has to give you a hug. It's your birthday." Noelle chuckled and she gave her ex-lover a look that basically said ‘let's appease our son'.

JC sighed, telling himself quickly that he could do it. It would only last like two seconds. So he knelt down and when he did, he felt Noelle lean into him and wrap her arms around him. She squeezed him tight and he swore that same old shiver ran down his spine. Her scent was still the same as well, as he breathed it. Sweet like honey and warm like cinnamon.

"Happy birthday, Josh." She said sweetly and then pulled back. All too quickly that hug ended for better...or worse. He snapped out of his revelry of being so close to her and plastered on a smile.

"Thanks. It was....good seeing you. I guess, I'll see you again when you come to pick Noah up on Saturday."

She nodded at him and he stood back up, freeing space for Noah to get one more hug from his mother.

"You enjoy the rest of the day and week with daddy, baby boy." Noelle said hugging Noah.

"Love you, mommy." He said in an adorable tone.

Love you, mommy. Oops...I mean...love you, mami.

JC thought to himself, ready for this moment to end.

"We go swimming now, daddy?!" Noah cheered as he asked.

JC smiled and nodded his head then. "Yeah, we can't be at the beach and not swim. Come on, squirt."

Noah pulled away from Noelle and then latched his small hand into JC's much larger one.

"Bye, you two." Noelle said and waved.

JC simply waved back.

What's wrong with you, Josh? That's as close as you've gotten to her in forever and you just blow it. Yeah...I knew I should've just asked for the sex right away. At least I could've found out how she really feels about me now.

He headed over to the water with Noah, knowing a dip into the ocean might just be what he needed. Swimming could be rather relaxing.


Tyler had watched the whole scene unfold and he definitely was surprised by the hug, but very hopeful that something could be rekindled between his brother and Noelle. Noticing that JC and Noah were stepping into the water now and going to go for a swim, Tyler came up with a plan. He'd use what magic he had and try and do something that JC probably wouldn't approve of, but would end up loving him for.

He marched through the sand, finding his way over to Noelle. When he reached her he waved, catching her gaze, but she was on the phone. She gave him a signal that she'd be off in a second and to wait. So he waited for her to end her call, then smiled at him.

"Hi, Tyler." He smiled back at her.

"Hey, Noelle. Quite a coincidence all of us would be at the beach at the same time." She nodded.

"I suppose it is. Josh was telling me that you and Noah are like best buds. I'm glad he has an uncle to rely on."

"Yeah, I love him to death. So....how's work been? Josh hasn't really told me what you've been up to."

"Oh...yeah..I suppose he and I don't even talk about it much. I'm still with Jive. I just helped out a lot with Kris Allen. They had me working on marketing him to listeners outside of the whole American Idol scene. Then I'm working on getting stuff ready for Britney's new album. In fact, I was just on the phone with Jive. They were making sure I was still going to attend this event they're doing tonight. They're having David Archuleta perform and it's just going to be a blast."

"You know that my brother wrote a song for David's first album, right?" Noelle smiled.

"Yeah, of course. Don't Let Go is an awesome track. I'm not completely clueless to what he's been up to since....."

Her voice trailed off and Tyler figured she didn't want to complete the sentence, but he knew what she was getting at.

"Well, can I make a proposition?" Tyler asked.

"Go for it..."

"Noelle, I am actually having a birthday dinner, kind of a small party for Josh. He doesn't know about it, but he's been so down about his birthday this year. I just wanted to do something nice and try and cheer him up."

"That's sweet. I bet he'll thank you for it." She interrupted him and then her phone rang again. She answered it and then looked back at Tyler once the call ended.

"Sorry. Anyways...did you have anything else to say?"

"Yeah, in fact I did.. What I want to tell you is that...he's never been the same without you."

"Josh?" He rolled his eyes.

"Duh! Of course, Josh!"

"Ohhh..." She said quietly.

"Yeah..ohh" Tyler said dryly.

"...and I was kind of hoping that maybe you'd want to come." Noelle shook her head.

"I'm sorry, I can't. I have my work event to go to tonight. I can't cancel."

Tyler reached out and then placed his hand upon Noelle's chin, lifting her head, so her eyes truly looked into his.

"Now you listen to me. Josh really hasn't been the same without you. He hasn't dated anyone seriously in a long while and he's never found anyone else that makes him feel the way you made him feel. And...so you know...your son gave his daddy a family picture that he colored and it included both of his parents. I know it tugged at Josh's heartstrings."

Tyler sighed and watched as JC and Noah played in the water laughing and smiling, wishing that Noelle could put that same smile on his brother's face the way Noah did.

"If you still feel anything for my brother, you'll come tonight. You'll back out of whatever Jive wants you to be at and you'll come celebrate Josh's birthday. Please...just don't make the wrong decision. Please come. We're all meeting on Sunset at that new sushi restaurant that just opened. Then we might take the party to Josh's house. Josh's neighbor is willing to watch Noah for the evening."

Noelle sighed. "I don't know, Ty."

"You know...the old Noelle would've never let Josh go. I don't understand why you did."

She sighed once more. "What time?"

Tyler simply replied. "6 o'clock. That's the reservation time."

"I'll think about it..." Tyler took her answer for what it was worth, knowing he couldn't fully guarantee she'd show up, but praying that she would.

JC deserved everything he wanted in the world....including having Noelle back in his arms.

 

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks again to all reading reviewing. Sorry this hasn't been posted all in one day, but I was so busy working this weekend and the story still needed a little more time to come to life. More to come, with hopefully an ending in a day or two. :)


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: daddyjc