Author's Chapter Notes:
So it's been a while, and I'm sorry. The holidays kind of snuck up on me and things got busy with the end of year stuff at work! But I'm back...hope you guys had a great holiday/new year!
 

Sleeping hasn't gotten any easier, but since our rooftop chat Trace and I have managed to at least have a civil relationship where we are able to speak to each other without screaming. Granted the topic of Justin and I's relationship hasn't been brought up since that night, but at this point I'll take what I can get. I've been back in Tennessee for a week now, and I've been working non-stop on the benefit that was finally happening tonight. Sure all of my other work was totally slacking but I think I could find a way to get around my boss getting mad at me about it.

I've been at the venue now since 6am and everything that could have possibly gone wrong, has gone wrong. The caterer got into a car accident with the food in the truck that is now all over the highway, the power has gone out more then once, and for some reason there were a thousand problems during sound check. I've been ordering people around all day and I'm pretty sure my head is about to explode when I catch Trace in the corner making out with Bri. It's not every day that I boss him around but he promised to be on his best behavior today and agreed to help me out as much as he could. I was making my way over to them when I heard Ma yell for me. When I turned to see the look on her face, I knew it wasn't good so instead of castrating my brother I walked over to her with a look of sheer fear on my face. "What now?"

"It'll all be okay sweetie," she said pulling me in for a hug. I was stressing out and for the first time since leaving LA wishing that I never left. I've been doing fine without Justin here since I've been busy and stuff, but right now I needed him with me and I was dying without him. Sure I had power, and people listened to me but when it comes down to it, when Justin Timberlake said to jump people asked how high. When I say to jump, they say just give me 5 minutes and I'll get right on it. I knew all along that Justin wouldn't be able to make it today, but you can't blame a girl for wanting him here. "Now don't have a tizzy or anything, but the cake guy has you booked for tomorrow not today so we're kind of down the cake..."

"Why me," I pouted stomping my feet like a two year old while pulling my cell phone out of my back pocket. Finding someone to make me a cake in four hours was going to be near impossible at this point, but I managed to get more food so maybe a cake wasn't so out of reach.

The venue was a small concert hall that we rearranged and set up to look like an awards show. This way people could enjoy the music while also eating, so luckily for me there was a backstage area where I could throw myself onto a couch to try and sort out the cake debacle. I called the only three bakery's I knew of that were close by and could provide a cake for 500 people, but all of them told me that there was no way they'd be able to do a cake for tonight. I threw my phone across the room and not 5 seconds later Julie came barging in the door holding her phone out to me, "For you," she said staring down at her personal blackberry while handing her work IPhone to me.

"Why?" I asked closing my eyes not wanting to deal with another problem. When I realized she wasn't going to answer me I grabbed the phone out of her hands taking a deep breath to prepare myself for another catastrophe. "Emily Logan..."

"Did you get my package?" asked a deep sketchy voice on the other end of the phone.

"What? Who is this?" I sat up, a jolt of nervousness running through me.

"Who do you think this is?"

"Okay seriously, I don't have time for games...who the fuck is this?"

"Jeez, they weren't kidding when they said you were stressing out," came Justin's real voice and I let out the breath I was holding in.

"Why the hell would you try and scare me like that?"

"Calm down, I was just trying to lighten the mood. I've been told you're kind of off your rocker today."

"With good reason!" I yelled, "Nothing has gone right, and I mean nothing. The food, the cake, the sound...it's a disaster."

"I'm sure it'll be great. I have faith that you'll figure everything out...but seriously did you get the package I sent you? It was suppose to be delivered to the venue two hours ago."

"No one said anything about a package being delivered, let me go check up the front," I said pushing myself up off the couch and walking towards the door.

"They were suppose to deliver it to the loading dock," he replied quickly, "Check there first."

I spun around on my toes to walk in the opposite direction towards the loading dock elevators putting my borrowed key in the lock to open up the doors, "What did you send me a car? What is it that it's at the loading dock?"

"You'll see," he said before he started whistling as the elevator made its decent to the ground floor.

The beeping prompted me to put the key in to open up the large metal doors and when they slid open I'm pretty sure my jaw hit the floor right before Julie's cell phone did. I ran...no I sprinted forward, relief running through my body at the sight of the cake I ordered 2 months ago sitting in front of me, and the delivery guys back towards me pulling something else out of the truck, "Oh my gosh...they said that they messed up my order I thought this wasn't even coming today!" I was shrieking like a child on Christmas morning not even realizing that I totally left Justin hanging on the phone that I dropped in the elevator, "This cake is amazing. Look at the details they're so intricate. I've never been so happy to see a cake before in my life," I said marveling in the small details I didn't even know were possible to get on a cake. "This is like something you see on that show...what's it called...the one with the loud Italian guy. Cake...Cake something--"

"Are you just going to leave me hanging?" The deliver guy asked in a frustrated voice.

"Oh right...I need to pay you," I said not even looking up, reaching into my back pocket to pull out my credit card. I was met with an empty pocket and my mind started racing not knowing where the last place I put it down was, "I think I left the card upstairs...let me run up there real quick and--" When I looked up and saw who I thought was standing in front of me my mouth stopped moving and my brain stopped working. I quickly closed my eyes and shook my head to make sure I was actually seeing straight, and when I opened them back up I was still sure my mind was playing tricks on me.

"So...you are just going to leave me hanging," came a voice that was no longer frustrated, but laced with sarcasm.

"What the hell..."

"So first," he started making his way around the cart the cake was on, "You drop the phone without even bothering to thank me for your package, and then you don't even acknowledge the fact that I'm standing right in front of you."

Justin put his hands on my waist, looking down at me with disappointed eyes, and all I could do was look at him with my mouth hanging open. I was shocked, never in a million years did I expect him to show up like this and surprise me. Knots formed in my stomach because for some reason I suddenly got nervous. I didn't know what to do next. I knew I wanted to jump in his arms, kiss him, and thank him a million times for coming but I wasn't sure if that was appropriate at this point in time since we were standing in a very public loading dock. "I...I...I am just a little...shocked?"

"There's no one else out here," he said as if he had just read my mind as he leaned his forehead against mine. Chills ran up my spine when he lifted his left hand to brush it against my cheek, and as soon as I lifted my arms to wrap them around his neck his lips hit mine and it felt like we've finally achieved peace on earth. It sounds so cliché, and I use to be that person that scoffed at people that said a kiss could make everything okay, but it's true. My day was shitty, and somehow after backing away from his lips I had a new lease on life. "Now that's more like it," he said leaning down to peck my lips one last time, backing away just in time to see someone walking up to the loading dock.

"Almost caught," I said running my finger over my now smiling lips while watching a delivery guy unload the back of his truck.

"Almost being the key word..."

"What are you doing here? Mr. I can't get any time off but I wish I could be there with you." I asked slapping his arm playfully.

"I managed to pull a few strings here and there," he replied with a smirk.

"Well," I stepped back so that I wouldn't jump his bones right then and there due to the extremely sexy look he was giving me, "You know that now I'm going to have to put you to work right?"

"I'm at your service my lady..."

People started flooding the loading dock around us as two other trucks pulled in, one containing the food that had to be prepared for the event, and another with a new soundboard. I found myself taking a couple of steps backwards giving the people that probably weren't even paying any attention to us no reason to believe that we could possibly be dating. As excited as I was to see him, this was going to be the start of all things confusing about our relationship. He cleared his throat snapping me back to reality, and when I looked up at him he didn't even have to tell me not to worry because his eyes did all the talking for him. "So," I said looking around him at the cake that I had totally forgotten about for the last five minutes, "Wanna bring that to the kitchen?"

"It would be my pleasure!" He spun around to get behind the cart and started pushing it.

Just as he was about to pass me, he patted me on the head like a little dog and stuck his tongue out at me causing me to let out a soft chuckle. I turned to watch him try and figure out how the elevator worked and called out his name just as the doors were about to close. He turned the key to the left to stop them nodding his head at me to continue. "You look good," I said commenting on the weight that he's gained back and the amazingly drool worthy muscle definition in his arms and chest that has reappeared since the last time I saw him.

"So do you," he smiled holding his gaze with me for a little bit longer then normal. He raised his right hand holding up Julie's phone and turned the key to close the elevator doors, "I'll give this to Jules for you." The bars came down on the inside door, "I missed you Em," and then the large black metal outside doors slid shut.

"I missed you too Justin," I whispered to no one but myself.

***

Things didn't magically get better just because Justin showed up. Things kept going wrong, but I was somehow more relaxed and able to handle the different issues with a more level head. I think once people realized that he was there they expected him to take over, but he kind of just waited in the wings for me to tell him what to do just like everyone else. This was my thing, something that I had been working on on my own and he was respectful in not using his name and the power that comes with it to take over something he really didn't have that big of a part of. For that, I was appreciative.

As the time of the event drew closer I started to panic. My parents and I had been planning for this for months, and even though by then all of the kinks had been worked out, I was nervous that it would end in disaster and not only would the benefit, and my name go down the shitter, but so would the record label and it would be all my fault. I was standing in one of the dressing rooms looking myself over for the millionth time in the floor to ceiling mirror before I had to go on and give the introduction when I heard a knock at the door. "Come in..."

Watching the door behind me open in the mirror I expected to see Justin walk through it, but was pleasantly surprised when I saw Trace appear. "It's getting pretty full out there," he closed the door behind him, making his way to stand next to me both of us looking at each other in the mirror.

"I can't really decide if that's a good or a bad thing right now."

"How are you feeling?" he asked brushing a piece of lint off the shoulder of my black one shouldered mini.

"I feel like I'm going to throw up all over the place actually..."

"Well...are you pregnant?"

"No Trace," I scoffed eyeing him angrily in the mirror, "I'm not pregnant."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes I'm sure."

"Positive?"

"Are you really trying to have the 'Are you having sex with Justin' talk with me right now?"

"Not really, but are you?"

I turned to him no longer looking through reflective glass at his questioning face. I can understand how this would be weird for him, but at the same time I wish he could just accept it like he would any other person I decided to date. He stared at me waiting very impatiently for an answer. An answer that under normal circumstance I would never give him, but since I needed to focus on the task at hand tonight and not his constant questioning gaze I gave in, "I haven't had sex with Justin...YET," I added as his shoulders dropped and he let out a relieved sigh. "I will at some point, probably soon, be having sex with Justin and you are just going to have to be okay with that and not make a big deal about it."

"It just doesn't seem right Em. I mean it's Justin...and you're my sister."

"And Justin is still your best friend, and I'm still your sister. Look, I can't do this right now okay? I have a huge benefit that I've worked months to prepare for that's about to start and dealing with you not being able to accept my relationship with Justin isn't on the top of my list of things to be stressing out about right now."

"I'm sorry Em, but it's kind of weird passing him in the hallway and all I can think about is him boning you..."

"Trace. I love you. You are my brother, you will always be my brother and I will always love you. But you have to get over it. Justin is your best friend, and he misses you. You two were attached at the hip and now all of a sudden you won't answer his calls just because he's dating me and we're happy together. And I'm your partner in crime, but lately I cringe every time I talk to you because I fear you're going to get mad at me just for being happy. There is no need for you to be uncomfortable. He's still your best friend, and I'm still your sister. We are the same people. Now I would appreciate it if we could continue this conversation at another time if you insist on talking about it further," I said catching my breath after spitting out my long shpeal in a matter of 5 seconds.

There was another knock at the door but I said nothing in response to it, just looked at Trace who appeared to be shocked by my abrupt reaction. "Em?" said a muffled voice behind the door before the knob turned and Justin appeared from behind it. "Oh sorry," he said before starting to walk out and close the door again.

"No, it's okay," Trace answered not taking his eyes off of me, "I was just leaving." His voice sounded like he was pissed and inside it made me really upset, but this was the reality of it. Justin and I were dating and I wasn't going to stop just because Trace didn't like it. So to say that I was shocked when he pulled me in for a hug was an understatement, and I was met with the same shock on Justin's face when I looked at him over Trace's shoulder, "Good luck tonight. I'm proud of you," he said before turning around to walk up to Justin. He shook his hand and pulled him in for a hug, patting his back as he stepped away. "Hurt her and I will murder you with my bare hands."

"I...I won't," he stuttered.

"Good," he put his fist out and Justin responded by pounding his fist against his best friends, "It's good to see you man..."

"Yeah...you too," Justin replied as Trace hit his back and walked out the door, closing it behind him. After a couple of seconds of staring at the back of the door he turned back to face me, "What the fuck was that?"

"I have absolutely no clue," I said staring at him in amazement, "I think that may have been Trace's way of approving our relationship but..."

"Are you okay?" he moved closer to me rubbing his hands up and down my arms when I stepped back to lean up against the wall and closed my eyes.

"Yeah...This is just a lot. I mean this event is finally happening, then Trace decides to spring this on me. You're here which is great but at the same time a little strange since no one really knows about us and this is a benefit for my fiancé. I'm just stressing out a little bit and--"

"Emily sweetie," I pushed Justin off of me when I heard Jake's parents walking towards the door. My head was literally spinning and nerves shot through my veins. I came in here to get ready and compose myself for the night, and now all of a sudden I'm being bombarded with obstacle after obstacle. I looked at myself in the mirror brushing my dress down before the door opened again and Justin sat down on the couch. "Oh Emily it looks incredible out there," Catherine West, the woman who was suppose to be my mother-in-law came running at me engulfing me in a tight hug.

"We're so proud of you," her husband Michael added squeezing my hand while I was still scooped up in the hug.

"Thanks you guys, it really means a lot," I said backing away still holding onto Cat's hands. I caught a glimpse of Justin sitting on the couch taking it all in, "You've met Justin right? My...my um...my boss," I managed to spit out pointing over to him as they turned there heads to look at him. They went through the normal nice to meet you's and chatted for a couple of minutes while I watched realizing how ironic it was to have these people that were so close to being my in laws now having a conversation with my current boyfriend.

The three of them walked out of the room together a few minutes later when I got the heads up that we were about to start. I stopped at the foot of the stairs by the stage nerves taking over every ounce of me. I turned my head to the right and saw Justin turn his head back to me at the same time and wink as he walked arm and arm with Cat to there assigned table, and for the first time that day I smiled a genuine smile. This is it, I thought as the DJ started revving up the crowd before I got on stage to start the show. This is what I've been working so hard on and whether it goes off perfectly or if it sucks, it doesn't matter because everyone in this room is here because they love Jake. It took the simplest of winks to finally make me realize that, but I do now as I walk up to the stage and am met with a bright light and 500 of the most amazing people I've ever met.

"Wow," I said into the microphone hearing my own voice echo back at me, "This is pretty amazing. First of all I want to thank all of you for coming out for this great cause, and I want to thank everyone that helped me put this together. From the people that set up the tables and chairs to my parents and my brother who helped me every step of the way."

I took a minute to take in everything around me. How the stage and the tables were set up, and all of the quiet faces looking back at me. I promised myself that I would not cry on this stage tonight, but I could feel the tears forming in my eyes as I started talking again, "Jake was the most incredible human being walking the face of this earth. He was kind, and gentle, and would do anything in his power that he could for anyone." As the first tear slipped down my cheek I looked down at the white X made of tape on the stage in front of me indicating where I should be standing, and when I began to look up I caught Justin's eye.

I was biting down on my bottom lip and started tapping my foot on the floor in an attempt to get it together as I stared at him. His eyes' telling me that it was okay to be emotional. It was okay to feel the way that I'm feeling and to let it all out. I focused on him as I continued, "Jacob West was the love of my life. He was the one that made me smile. He was the one that let me know things would get better when I was in a slump. He was the one that was there for me every step of the way. The day we got engaged was the day that all of the pieces of the puzzle that is my life fit together. I was his Emmy, and knowing that I was going to have him by my side forever made everything else seem so minor. He was taken from me too soon. He was taken from his parents, and his sister too soon. His nieces and nephews will never really remember their Uncle Jay, and to me the saddest thing of all is that there are people in this world that will never know how absolutely amazing he was." I looked from Justin's eyes that had puddles forming in them to his mother that was sitting next to him, then to my parents, my brother, and finally to Cat and Michael. "I loved your son so much, and I always will. You raised him to be the man that he was and for that you should be so proud. And even though we never made it down the aisle you guys will always be a part of my life."

I finally shifted my gaze back to the audience in front of me scanning the crowd one last time before I finished, tears still staining my cheeks. "The money raised tonight will go to 3 scholarships for freshman who plan on going to the University of Memphis to study business just like Jake did. Thank you all again, so much for being here to honor Jake. I know he's watching over us tonight, and if he were here his smile would be lighting up the room. I love you Jake...And I miss you so much."

With that I returned the microphone to the stand next to me and made my way down the steps as the lights were dimmed and the slideshow began. The introduction to the song started just as I got to the end of the stars and turned around to watch it, and almost as if the timing was planned Justin appeared at my side. His pinky grazing mine to let me know that he was there for me, but not allowing anyone else to think much of it as the pictures started appearing and the song began to be sung.

 

Thanks for all you've done
I've missed you for so long
I can't believe you're gone
You still live in me
I feel you in the wind
You guide me constantly

I've never knew what it was to be alone, no
Cause you were always there for me
You were always there waiting
And I'll come home and I miss your face so
Smiling down on me
I close my eyes to see

And I know, you're a part of me
And it's your song that sets me free
I sing it while I feel I can't hold on
I sing tonight cause it comforts me

I carry the things that remind me of you
In loving memory of
The one that was so true
Your were as kind as you could be
And even though you're gone
You still mean the world to me

I've never knew what it was to be alone, no
Cause you were always there for me
You were always there waiting
But now I come home and it's not the same, no
It feels empty and alone
I can't believe you're gone

And I know, you're a part of me
And it's your song that sets me free
I sing it while I feel I can't hold on
I sing tonight cause it comforts me

I'm glad he set you free from sorrow
I'll still love you more tomorrow
And you will be here with me still
And what you did you did with feeling
And You always found the meaning
And you always will
And you always will
And you always will

And I know, you're a part of me
And it's your song that sets me free
I sing it while I feel I can't hold on
I sing tonight cause it comforts me

"He still loves you Em," he said as the song and screen faded out.

"I know..." I said looking from the stage into his eyes linking my pinky with his, "And he'd be happy that I'm happy with you."

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Review Review Review!

Song Credit

"In Loving Memory" - Alter Bridge



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story