December 31, 2010


7:16am


The sun peaks through the usually dark curtains and awakens me from what was a very peaceful slumber.  A cool burst of air ushers itself through the room and it's then that I recognize that I'm in bed alone.  As usual, Cheryl's awake and is sitting in her usual spot on the balcony with a cup of herbal tea, the newspaper and her laptop, reading the local and national news.  This is her morning routine except for one thing.  She left the doors to the balcony open when they're usually closed.  I unwrap my limbs from the mounds of comforters and sheets and stand, taking time to stretch before grabbing my robe and walking out to where she is.

 

"Good Morning beautiful.  How did you sleep?"  I kiss her forehead and take a seat on the chair opposite of her.

 

"Pretty well after someone stopped hogging all the blankets for himself."  She smiles at me over her glasses and goes back to reading the paper.

 

"Excuse me but I did no such thing.  If you would sleep in one spot instead of all over the bed, maybe you wouldn't wake up cold.  Now if you don't mind, I have to get ready."

 

"I thought you weren't going anywhere today?"

 

"I have a few errands to run and I want to hit the gym before I go.  What time are you leaving for the restaurant?"

 

"Not until 9:30.  Dean and Jackie are there setting up everything for tonight's NYE party and we have a staff meeting at 11am to make sure everyone's on their stuff tonight.  You are still playing tonight aren't you?"

 

"Of course.  I know you hear back from the James Beard foundation tonight so I don't want to set up until after the critic leaves.  What time are you supposed to hear back from them?"

 

"No later than 6pm.  I can't even tell you how nervous I am."  She removes her glasses from her eyes and place them atop her head and rubs her face in her hands.  One of her tells that she's freaked out.  I walk over to where she's sitting and take her hands, stand her up, sit, then place her in my lap.

 

"Babygirl, you know you've got it in the bag right?  I mean, there's no better chef in Arizona or the country for that matter.  When he hands you that award tonight, I'm going to be there with a big ol' I told you so smile on my face.  No one deserves this more than you and I know they see that.  Shoot, everyone does.  So, don't go worrying your pretty little head about it.  Just get ready for the party and enjoy yourself."

 

"I love you."  She says wrapping her arms around my shoulders and burying her face in the nook between my neck and right shoulder.  I just nuzzle up against her and enjoy the peace and quiet.  

 

"I don't wanna move." 

 

"Part of me wish we didn't have to but, the day awaits my love.  Let's go down to the gym together.  Maybe it'll help you burn off some of that nervous energy."

 

"Sounds good, just let me change real quick."  She gives me one of those infamous pecks of hers and darts off to her closet, in search of sweat clothes.  

 

I don't know if you can tell, but the engagement didn't go off as planned.  You see, Christmas day was so busy for us that we just didn't have the time.  She had so much going on for her family and the business that we had to make time to fall asleep.  But, she did give me a present that I can never repay...

She found my mom.

Flashback


Christmas Day

 

7:30pm

 

 

I walk into the restaurant to see it as busy as ever.  Rachel (the hostess) takes my coat and tells me my lady's running around somewhere.  I thank her and go off in search of her.  I walk into the kitchen and here the Expediter calling out different dishes to which the appropriate staff member replies.  I see Cheryl manning the grill and know that this is not the time to interrupt.  She sees me out of the corner of her eye and smiles gently, like I've calmed her nerves somehow.  She does the same thing for me.  I stand in the corner by the food pantry while she finishes doing her thing.  After about twenty minutes or so, she removes her apron and walks over to me.

 

"Babe, you could have waited for me in the office."

 

"I know but I love seeing you at work.  Gives me chills that my girl has such a commanding presence.  But I will go into the office until my table is ready.  Are you joining me for dinner?"

 

"Yeah, I have to give you your present."

 

"You know you didn't have to get me anything.  All I want is you."

 

"Yeah, me, the new Kinect for Xbox, a new Nikon, more guitar picks, shall I go on?"

 

"I never told you I wanted those things."

 

"Not directly no, but if I hear you mention something, I'm going to get it.  So, don't ruin my surprise and go have a seat.  I'll be out in a minute."  She kisses me softer than usual but nothing too inappropriate seeing that we are still at her job and all.  We hear oohs and ahhs coming from the line and she tells them to hush as I make my exit.  Right as I was heading to the office, Rachel tells me a table is ready and I can have a seat.  She walks me over to a table but it's occupied.

 

"Rachel, I thought you said a table was clear."

 

"Just following orders Josh.  Have a seat, a server will be with you shortly."  Rachel smiles at me brightly and walks off after handing me a menu (like I need one) and leaves me standing there, stupefied.  I look at my table companion and notices that it's someone familiar, though I've never met them before now.

 

"Aren't you Troy Dunn?"

 

"That's what they call me.  It's nice to meet you Josh."

 

"Nice to meet you too.  Though I'm confused as to why I'm meeting you."

 

"Well, I hear you've been looking for someone and I'm here to help."

 

"Yeah, I've been looking for my mom for about 18 years or so."

 

"How the search been going for you?"

 

"Pretty empty so far.  Thought my team had a few good leads but nothing came of them."  I slowly started putting two and two together and even then I was wrong.

 

"Yeah, it can sometimes take years and years before anything really happens.  Which is why I'm here.  Your girlfriend Cheryl called us and asked me for help."

 

I sit in silence for a minute, letting everything he's saying register.  I reply...

 

"Ok, that's awesome.  How soon can you start?"

 

"I've actually started already and I have some pretty good information for you."

 

"Okay."

 

"It seems that your biological mother got pregnant at 16 and after trying to keep you herself, decided that it was in your best interest to give you to a family that could care for you in a way that she couldn't."

 

"Ok."  I look up and see Cheryl standing in the doorway to the kitchen, talking to Jackie and keeping a watchful eye on me.

 

"Are you alright?"

 

"I'm fine.  It's just alot to take in."

 

"I have more for you."

 

"I'm ready."

 

"Would you like to see a picture of your brothers, David and Sam?"

 

"I have brothers?!"

 

"Yep, two brothers and a sister, Mona."

 

"Wow."  Troy pulls pictures out of the three of them together sitting on the beach, then individual shots of each kid.  I'm awestruck and  don't know what to say for a moment.  After I regain composure, I ask...

 

"Cute group.  Is there any of my mom?"

 

"Yeah, but she wanted to show you herself."  He says with a smile so wide, it touches his ears.  Weird to notice on a guy but I digress.

 

"What?"

 

"Josh, turn around and meet your mom."

 

And we've all seen the show right?  The moment is indescribable and before I look, I see Cheryl smile and slowly make her way over to me.  She mouths 'go on' and then I find all the courage I can to turn my head completely and there she was.  

 

Long, dark, wavy hair, big blue eyes, similarly shaped nose, and high cheek bones. She was wearing a black knee length dress and stood there, completely still as I looked on.  She started to cry softly and reached out to touch my face.  She couldn't deny me if she tried.  We look like twins.  Tears pool my orbs as I stand and walk closer, reaching out to imitate her actions.  Then, we hug.

 

We embrace for the longest time and a cry tears from my body like it's been chomping at the bit to let loose.  I can barely open my eyes but I hear her whispering 'I love you' and 'It's so good to see you' in my ear.  She holds me a minute longer then steps back to look at me.  When I stand straight again, I see that unlike the show, Troy's still there, but he's joined by his wife (I know her from the show) and some others, telling the server what they'd like to drink.

 

"I can't believe this!  This is so amazing.  How are you?"

 

"I'm good darling, I'm good.  I live not too far away from here actually.  I've been looking for you for a long time."

 

"Same here.  It's so good to finally meet you."  I say, taking her in my arms again. We embrace again for what feels like the longest time then I realize I have to introduce her to Cheryl.

 

"Mom, I want you to meet Cheryl.  Honey, this is my mom.  Wow, that feels different."

 

"It's very nice to meet you Cheryl."  My mom reaches out and hugs her and the sight is almost too much.  And to make a good situation great, my mom and dad walk through the front door and I lose it.  

 

So while I tried to put myself back together, Cheryl introduced everyone and we all had a seat.  Needless to say, it was a very long night.

 

End of Flashback


 

Even now, thinking of it makes a tears fill my eyes.  And how wonderful is my lady?! I mean, she told me later that night once we arrived home that she had been holding back that surprise for six weeks and it killed her everyday not to tell me. This is why she has to be my wife.  I want no one else.  I need only her.  

 

And tonight, I'll make sure of it.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story