December 31, 2010


7:02pm



I quietly call my staff outside for a quick update of tonight's events before the evening gets started.  Guests are starting to pile in and Josh and his band are setting up for the evening.  His parents (both sets) are seated at the V.I.P section and are just watching their son do what he does best.  I always feel better with him around.  His overall aura sets my soul at ease.  As Michael, (one of my sous chefs) walks out, I make sure I have my keys and tell him to pull the door tight.  

 

"Well Cheryl, don't keep us in suspense...did we get the award?"  Michael asks.

 

"You don't waste time do you?"

 

"It's only been our main priority for the past month or so."  Jackie (my GM) adds.

 

"Well..."

 

"Come on!"  They all seem to collectively shout at once.

 

"Alright, alright.  We won!"

 

A chorus of hoots and hollers could be heard from three miles up which is why I wanted the door closed tightly.  We all start to hug and congratulate each other on a job well done this year.  

 

"We have been awarded with Best Restaurant,  Best Service and I won Best Rising Chef award.  I can not begin to tell you how proud I am of you guys.  I truly know that none of this would be possible without each and every single one of you and from the bottom of our hearts, thank you.  You guys make Mesa Avenue what it is and I couldn't be happier of the group of people we have working here.  I pray you guys are around for years to come.  Now, you didn't think I would share this good news without showing my appreciation somehow did you?"

 

I hear some mumbled voices and decided to let them know that...

 

"You guys get bonuses!"
 

 

Dean (my Executive Chef) begins to hand each employee their bonus checks and we hear a bunch of thank yous going around.  God it feels so good to be able to give.  They are awesome.

 

"Okay guys, now back to work.  We have 252 people on the books tonight so let's rock and roll.  Please make sure everyone has their beverage of choice to toast the New Year no later than 11:50.  We want everyone rocking by the time we begin the countdown.  Alright, once again, thank you guys for everything and let's start the New Year right!"  Everyone cheers then walks back in with good energy.  I see Josh pull Dean on the side and they do their little man talk.  He's so cute.  Well, time to work...

 

11:38pm

 

I put up the final Ribeye dinner of the evening and I am wiped!  We had so many people tonight but thank GOD everything went smoothly.  Josh has been entertaining the guests all night and for that I'm thankful.  God has really blessed us this year and my only resolution is to make more time for myself and those I love.  I hand Nick (our uber fab dishwasher) my utensils from my knife kit and walk out to check on everyone.  Josh is playing a slow tune on the keyboard and I walk by his parents table to make sure they're happy, which they are.  Just then, Josh gets my attention and asks me to come up to him.

 

"No."  I whisper aloud (if that makes sense) but he just ignores me and pulls me up to him.  I'm not a big fan of the spotlight so this better end quickly.

 

"How's everyone doing tonight?"  He gets a light applause and some people say aloud how their feeling.

 

"Good, good.  Well, this beautiful lady right here is Cheryl and she and her wonderful crew put all this together.  How about a round of applause for that.  The food was good girl, take a bow."

 

I dip my head shyly and step back beside him.

 

"Don't you love how shy she gets in public?  I do.  Anyway, this fine young lady has just been awarded with several James Beard awards which for chef's is like the equivalent of an Oscar."  To which I get a standing ovation.  He knows this isn't necessary.

 

"If you couldn't tell by now, she's also the love of my life.  And tonight, I want to do a song, just for her."

 

He sits me on a stool he has next to him and he begins to play the opening chords to my favorite song.  All of a sudden, I hear voices coming from my right and my mouth flies open.  Oh...My...Gosh!

When the visions around you,
Bring tears to your eyes
And all that surround you,
Are secrets and lies
I'll be your strength,
I'll give you hope,
Keeping your faith when it's gone
The one you should call,
Was standing here all along..



Justin finishes his entire verse as the tears fall non stop.  How in the heck did they get here.  And why didn't he tell me.  Justin, Joey and Chris (where's Lance?) walk up next to their friend and I'm at a loss for words.  I didn't even know they would be in town.  Joey just said that he and Kelly were traveling with the family but he didn't say where.  Sneaky group I tell you.  The crowd cheers get louder as they go into the chorus and I slap Jace on the arm for not warning me at least.  He just snickers quietly before going into his verse.  

 

I've loved you forever,
In lifetimes before
And I promise you never...
Will you hurt anymore
I give you my word
I give you my heart (give you my heart)
This is a battle we've won
And with this vow,
Forever has now begun...

 

They sing through the bridge and here comes my favorite part...

 

Over and over I fall (over and over I fall)
When I hear you call
Without you in my life baby
I just wouldn't be living at all...

 

And they sing it the way I love (think Atlantis or better yet, their Fox Christmas Special version) and by the end, I'm crying my eyes out.  I hug each guy and they all reciprocate the love.  

 

"Alright now, I want to wring in 2011 the right way.  Cheryl, do me a favor and look outside please."  

 

I lift my right eyebrow in question but do as I'm asked.  I walk to the window and my eyes nearly bulge out of their sockets.  

 

"It's snowing!"  I say as giddy as a five year old.  All of the guests start to look out the surrounding windows and I see my nieces all out, playing in the snow.  I run outside toward them and they all rush to me.  It takes me a minute to realize that this almost never happens and when I turn around to look back into the restaurant, Josh is kneeling before me.  Oh Gosh...

 

11:55pm

 

I wait for her to come to the realization that it doesn't really snow here in Mesa and when she whips around, I take a knee.  She immediately starts to cry (again) and I reach up from where I am to wipe her tears away.

 

"I have waited my entire life for a woman like you.  Do you know how absolutely amazing you are?  Cheryl, words can't describe how much I love you.  How much you mean to me.  You are the epitome of class, beauty and love.  Every single thing I thought I ever wanted in a soul mate you possess and I can't imagine my life without you.  What you've given me, I can never, ever repay, but I will spend my whole life, trying to catch up to you.  So with that being said, the girls and I have something to ask you."  I hurry to where the girls are now standing.  Each with a sign that says...

 

 

WILL

 

YOU

 

MARRY

 

HIM?

 

With an arrow pointing to me.  I hold the 4 carat diamond solitaire ring in it's box and she walks slowly over to me.  After she finishes staring at the ring for what felt like forever, she says...

 

 

"100% yes!  I love you."  I take her in my arms (after putting the ring on her finger) and hold her.  Feeling even more tears come down my face and hers, I know that this is right.  She pulls apart just a bit and caresses my face then kisses me.

 

She runs her fingers through my hair and at first, the kiss is so soft, I can barely feel it.  Then, as it intensifies, I feel every hair on my body rise on end and this is what I long for.  She nibbles at my lips the way I like, then uses her tongue in barely there strokes as a way to get me to respond, which I do.  For a moment, we get so lost in the kiss that we forget where we are. That is until our parents (her family got here right before the surprise) bombard us with love and well wishes. Dean comes to the door and tells us it's about time for the countdown and we all hurry back inside.

 

And as the clock counts down from ten to one, I look at my future wife and smile. Because finally, I have everything I need.



Happy New Year!


Completed
Keediluv is the author of 22 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked From Christmas to New Year's Eve also liked 24 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story