“You see, Uncle Josh – well we still called him JC back then.  Now, JC had been the quintessential bachelor.  He was the first to admit that music was his first love and he had found himself completely disinterested in relationships altogether.  He was satisfied being married to his work up until he met Whitney…”

“Wait, how did Uncle Josh meet Aunt Whitney?”

“We’ll get to that.  That’s another story…anyway; it was a brisk January night when my phone rang…”

**

“Hey Jace, what’s good?” I said into the receiver of my cell-phone. 

“Justin, I’m glad I caught you.  Look, I’ve got big news – big news,” he said, with a nervous tone.

“Is everything okay?”  JC wasn’t one for small-talk.  In fact, he was the kind of friend you would have to keep after to stay in communication with.  So him calling out of the blue meant something very important. 

“Yeah…it’s better than okay…it’s great…I’ve decided that I’m proposing to Whitney.”

My eyes widened a little and I felt my mouth go dry.  It made sense, actually it made complete sense.  JC and Whitney were one of those perfect couples; the kind of couple where everything makes sense and they bring out the best in one another.  The kind of couple that would make you a little nauseous and envious if they weren’t both such great people. 

“Well, say something Justin…I’m freaking out a little…I’m planning on doing this tonight and I could use some support here…”

“JC,” I smiled, “You’re making the best decision of your life.  She loves you, she’ll say yes.  You guys are great together.”

“Alright, thanks for the pep talk.  Now, distract me for a bit because I am crazy nervous right now.  What are you doing tonight?”

And that’s when it hit me – what was I doing?  Here Uncle Josh was taking the biggest step of his life – the last one I expected to move to the next level.  And me?  I’m going out for another night at another bar in the same singles scene.  “I’m going out tonight – hit a bar or two.”

“Okay, have fun tonight.  Enjoy the single life,” JC chuckles on the other end of the line. 

“Hey, congratulations man.”

“Just save the congratulations for after she says yes,” he says cautiously.

“JC, she is going to say yes!”

We quickly say goodbye as I note that there is another call coming through and I sigh as I answer the call.

“Hey, so you know how I’ve always had a thing for models?” Trace asks. 

“Okay…go on…”

“Well, I have a new favorite.  Swimsuit models.  They are like the cream of the crop because they have those model looks but then they also have that whole athleticism thing going for them.”

“Really?  I don’t even know how I could tell the difference,” I said, shaking my head. 

“Trust me – they are bikini-licious.”

“Listen, JC is getting engaged tonight.  He just called me.  I can hardly believe it.  You wanna-“

“Meet me at the bar in half an hour,” he said, all business and hung up before I could confirm.

**

“You know what’s weird?  When JC told me he was going to propose to Whitney, I felt like my mind went blank.  I think it’s because if I try to picture proposing to someone I just cannot come up with who it would be to.  I just haven’t met that person yet.  And meanwhile he’s a million steps ahead of me.”

“Ah, I see.  JC gets engaged and all of a sudden you're having your period,” Trace says, shaking his head as he waves the waitress down for another beer.

“Very funny.  I know, just because my best friend is getting married doesn’t mean I need to right now,” I said, tapping my fingers on the table, as if saying the words aloud would make me somehow believe them.

“I thought I was your best friend.  Justin, say I’m your best friend,” he said, crossing his arms.

“You’re my best friend, Trace.  It’s just that JC is one of my best friends.  I’ve known him for a long time.  And now his life is taking a completely different direction,” I held my beer bottle in my left hand while I toyed with the coaster on the table with my right.

“Enough with the marriage talk.  As your best friend, I suggest we play a little game called Have ya met Justin?”

“What?  No, we’re not playing that game,” I said with an eye roll, taking another sip.  Unfortunately Trace had already stood up from the table and tapped the shoulder of the nearest woman.  She turned around and he said the infamous phrase…

“Hi, have ya met Justin?”  And just like that, a gorgeous leggy blonde had sat down across from me in the booth and Trace had disappeared. 

“Hi, I’m Olivia,” she said, extending her hand.

“So, what do you do, Olivia?” I asked, putting my drink down.

“Oh, I’m a model.  A swimsuit model, actually,” she said.  Sometimes your Uncle Trace was right.  Sometimes.  We were making small talk when I felt my phone vibrating.  There was a new text message signal…

*Better start planning that bachelor party, best man! 

I smiled to myself.

“Justin, would you mind if we got our picture with you?” she said.

I looked up, raising my eyebrow.   “We?”  It was then that I looked over to see that the burly bartender had come over to the table.

“Yes, my boyfriend Donny and I.  We just love your music,” she said, motioning to him.  She asked one of the waitresses to take our picture and pulled out her camera.  I sighed as I shifted for the picture and smiled through the flash.  “Thanks so much,” she said and then she left the table with Donny, leaving me alone with my thoughts. 

Trace returned to the table, a mischievous grin on his face.  “What were you thinking, putting the moves on the bartender’s girlfriend?”

I cocked my head at him, “Very funny.”

“Seriously Justin, you are too young to be getting married anyway.  Stop over thinking about this – it’s hurting your game!  This is completely weakening your role as my trusty wingman.”

“You’re right.  JC’s a little bit older than me and besides, the big difference is that he’s found the love of his life.  Even if I really felt like I was ready, it’s like, okay.  I’m ready – where is she?” I stood up from the table, wanting to stretch my legs. 

“She’s at least another five years away,” Trace said, taking another swig of his beer.

My eyes slowly wandered around the room…and there she was…it was one of those old romantic movie moments.  The crowd of people parted, so that she and I made perfect eye contact from across the room.  She turned to say something to one of her friends and I looked over at Trace. 

“Hey Trace, see that girl over there,” I said, taking the opportunity to nudge him. 

“What?  Oh, yes, that babe is a ten, ten and a half.  Wait a minute, I think I know her.  How do I know her?” he scratched his head.  Before I could think of a well-executed plan he swiftly approached her and pulled another classic Trace, “Have ya met Justin?”  She smiled and Trace disappeared once again.

“Hi, I’m Justin,” I said, nervously extending my hand.

“So I hear,” she said with a bright smile and a light laugh.  She flipped her dark brown hair over her shoulder and the more she spoke, the giddier I felt.  Suddenly one of her friends came over, whispering in her ear.

She turned to me.  “Justin, I’m sorry but I really have to get going.  It was very nice meeting you.”

“I…have dinner with me Friday night?” I offered in a moment of weakness.

“What?” she looked at me like she hadn’t heard me correctly.

“Would you have dinner with me?  Friday night?” I asked again.

“I’m actually going to be traveling this weekend with some friends,” she said.

“Okay, what about tomorrow night?” I asked.  I could feel the desperation in my voice, but I was unable to stop myself.

She smiled, but looked like she was seriously weighing her options before she spoke up.  “Sure, what the hell.”  She wrote down her number on a coaster, handed it to me and we said goodnight. 

I looked down at the number in my hands, feeling more sure about this girl than anything in a long time.  Sure about it until Trace came over and clumsily spilled his drink all over me. 

“Trace!” I yelled with frustration.

He stumbled, apologizing and picked up the coaster I had dropped.  “What’s this?” he asked, about ready to hand it to the waitress to throw out.

“That’s my future wife’s digits,” I said sharply, sticking my hand out to take it back from him.

He made a face as he handed it back to me.  It was dripping with beer and the ink had bled out all over, ruining any chance I had for salvaging her number.  “Sorry bro, I’ll go get another seven digits for you.”  He tapped the girl next to us, “Hey, have ya met Justin?”

I shook my head at him and headed out of the bar, determined to call it a night. 

**

“I mean, I thought I’d never have a chance to see that girl again.  But that’s the funny thing about destiny – it happens whether or not you plan on it.  Because that kids, is the true story of how I met my good friend Alexia Lawson.  You know, Aunt Alexia.”

 “Aww, Dad,” Noah said, smacking the pillow beside him.

Sarah stared at him blankly, “I thought this was how you met Mom?”

“Will you relax?  I’m getting to it.  Like I said…it’s a long story…”



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: anniversary unrequited boyfriendj love bestfriendj fiancej jealous triangles exboyfriendj brotherlylove breakupj boyfriendjc postsync proposal originalcharacter justinandtrace justin fiancejc producerjc