“Alright, now where was I?” Justin asked his children, returning to their seating area with mug of coffee for himself and cocoa for them. 

Noah lightly blew on the top of the drink, preparing to take a sip.  “You were telling us about how you met Mom.”

“With agonizing detail!” Sarah said, crossing her arms with impatience.

“Right…so back in 2011, one of my best friends had gotten engaged and it really made me start thinking that it was time that I should be married.  That’s when I met Alexia…but after asking her out, I lost her number thanks to your Uncle Trace…”

**

I was determined to find Alexia again – and the thought of not being able to keep plans with her was driving me insane.  The two main problems were that I no longer had her phone number and that I did not know her last name.  This was going to make it very difficult to track her down and keep our dinner date.  So, I did the only thing I could think of.  I decided to go back to that same bar the following night and wait for her.  All I could do was hope that there was a chance she might end up returning to the same place.  Or, maybe there would be someone else there that knew who she was that could steer me in the right direction. 

So, here I was back at that same bar on Thursday night, waiting to see if there would be any chance would could reconnect and keep our dinner plans that night.  Now, of course, Trace insisted on tagging along. 

“I cannot even believe you asked her out like that,” Trace said, shaking his head at me.

I broke focus on scanning the room to meet his judgmental gaze, “I liked her, I asked her out, plain and simple.  Come to think of it, if you hadn’t been a total mess and poured your beer all over me, I’d still have her number and Alexia and I would be finishing dinner right now.”

Trace waved his hand dismissively, “No – that was fate’s doing, not mine.  You broke the cardinal rule of dating and that is why fate has denied you the opportunity for a date with this dream woman tonight.”

“What do you mean, the cardinal rule?” I scratched the back of my head. 

“Alright Bro, here’s Lesson #2,” he said, excitement in his eyes.  He always looked revved up when he thought he was going to give me some life advice…thought…

“Wait, what do you mean Lesson #2?  What was Lesson #1?” I rolled my eyes.

“Lesson #1 was all about navigating the singles world with your trusty wingman.  The wingman is the key element is setting yourself up for pickup success in any situation,” he said.  “Now, Lesson #2.  When you get a chick’s number you have got to wait at least ninety-six hours before calling her.”

“Ninety-six hours?  Four days?”  I threw my hands up with exasperation.  Where did Trace come up with this crap?

“Yes, at least four days.  Anything earlier than that is just pure simple desperation,” he smiled, with a look of satisfaction.  “Now, since you got that girl’s digits after already committing to seeing her the next night you are doubly breaking the rule.  You should not have asked her out before you snatched her digits and you shoulda waited another four days, minimum, to call her about going out.”

“So, rather than ask her out in the here and now I should have made no plans and acted disinterested, playing games before another four days where I could call her and see if I could squeeze her in?” I asked, the sarcasm evident.

“Whatever, Bro.  I am telling you – this is karmic.  You broke the Bro code and now here we are suffering the consequences, waiting for mystery girl.  I am sure we can find you another chick here and this time I will put her number into my phone so you do not lose it and I will fork over the number in another ninety-six hours.”  He started taking inventory of all the women in a ten-foot radius, ready to pounce.

“Trace, you just don’t get it.”

“You’re Justin-Freakin’-Timberlake!  Why are you spending your night looking for one girl, you can have any girl!”

“That’s just it Trace,” I said, leaning in so that he’d pay attention, “I don’t have trouble meeting girls.  I have trouble meeting the right girls.  And Alexia is the girl…”

Of course, there was no sign of Alexia that night at the bar.  She had said that she was travelling for the weekend, so I knew better than to poach the same bar for the remainder of the weekend.  But I just could not get this girl out of my head. 

**

I was tired of the same old singles routine, so I decided to call JC for a change of pace.  Maybe spending time with a couple would help me gain some valuable insight that Trace was not equipped to offer.

“Hey Justin, how are you?” he said.

“I’m doing alright – things are busy, but I could use a night off from the normal routine.  Are you in Los Angeles?”

“Yeah, actually I am at home waiting for Whitney.  She’s flying back from New York so she’ll be here in a few hours.  Why don’t you come over?  We can hang out and I’m sure Whitney would like to see you when she gets in.”

“Alright, I’ll come by in a little while.”

**

I knocked on the door and JC eagerly opened it, giving me a pat on the back.  “Justin, it’s so great to see you,” he said, with a big grin.

“Come here, you old soon-to-be-married fella!” pulling him into a half-hug.  I followed him inside, closing the door behind me. 

He motioned to the living room, “I’ve got the game on,” he said.  I nodded, heading over to the large sofa and planting myself in front of the television.  He returned from the kitchen a few moments later with two beers.  He settled down comfortably on the sofa, checking his watch. 

“What time is she supposed to arrive?” I asked, knowingly.

He smiled sheepishly, “She should be here in about an hour or so.  I know she was just gone for the weekend, but it feels like an eternity to me.  We have been doing the coast-hopping thing for so long with work, but now it’s different…now that she’s my fiancée I just want to spend that much more time with her.  Is that crazy?”

I smiled in awe of how genuinely entranced with her he was.  JC was truly deserving of the happiness he had found.  “I don’t think it’s crazy.  I think the fact that you want to spend that much more time with her now that you are planning to spend the rest of your lives together is a pretty good sign.”

“I know...it’s funny, I never expected to feel this way about anyone.  But, it’s the best feeling that there ever was,” he took a sip of his beer.  “How about you?  Are you enjoying bachelor-hood?”

I sighed.  “Well, I met the future Mrs. Justin Timberlake and she’s perfect.”

“That’s amazing, when do I get to meet her?”

“I have to find her again, first,” I said.  He raised his eyebrow with confusion.  “I met this great girl the other night.  Long story short, I ended up losing her number and now I have no way of finding her again.”

JC tapped his chin thoughtfully, “Well, she must know who you are, right?  So, if it’s meant to be, maybe she’ll try to find you.  Right?”

I hadn’t thought about that.  Maybe, if I was so determined to find her she might be out there trying to find me, too.  Before I could continue thinking, I heard my phone ringing.  I rolled my eyes as I picked it up, awaiting Trace’s voice on the other end.

“Justin, tonight we’re going to go out to a new spot and we’re going to meet some new ladies.  It’s going to be legendary!”

I had no idea why I hung out with Trace.  

“Trace, I’m actually at JC’s now…” I said.  JC chuckled to himself at the mention of Trace’s name. 

“Alright, I’ll pick you up from there, I’m on the road now,” he said. 

“No, Trace, not tonight…”

“Tell JC he’s coming, too!”

I turned to JC, “Trace wants to kidnap the both of us.”  I put the phone on speaker. 

He laughed, “Ah, I wish I could.  I think Whitney and I are just going to…”

“I understand.  Justin, you’re coming out with me.”

“Wait, what?  Why can JC just say no, but when I say it you don’t listen?”

“Uh, because JC’s getting laid.”

I looked over at JC, a half-smile appearing on his lips.  “Consistently.”

“Look, Justin, I’m almost there now.  We can debate this in person, but you’re ultimately going to give in and get in my car and go out, so why not call it a draw now and get ready for a legendary night!” Trace said.  He hung up before I could respond. 

**

Trace arrived shortly thereafter and settled in the living room, watching the remainder of the football game with us.  He had agreed to let me greet Whitney to congratulate her before we would head out. 

“I’m trying to remember the last time I saw Whitney,” he said.

“It has definitely been a while.  I think the last time you and her saw each other was probably at my birthday party,” JC said, reaching for a few chips out of the bowl on the coffee table.

“Right, your birthday party,” Trace said, nodding.  His mind seemed to be wandering.  I sighed, knowing I had missed that party because of a press junket. 

JC shot up from the sofa, a goofy grin on his face.  “I hear the car in the driveway!”  He bolted out of the room, heading back out the front door and running out into the driveway. 

“Gee, you’d think he hadn’t seen her in weeks,” I said with a laugh.

Now would have been the perfect time for Trace to make some joke about marriage and relationships.  I waited for him, but he remained silent.  I turned to see what had distracted him. 

“JC’s birthday party,” he whispered to himself.

Before I could ask him what he was fixated on, Whitney came in through the door.  JC followed her, carrying her bags.  “Josh, put them down,” she said, opening her arms.  He quickly dropped the bags, wrapping his arms around her and pulling her into a dramatic kiss.  Trace cleared his throat with annoyance, so the two pulled apart in response.  Whitney smiled as she spotted me.  “Justin, how are you?  Come here!”  I obeyed, giving her a hug.  She kissed me on the cheek.  “Oh, and you brought Trace.  Have you been behaving yourself?” she asked with a laugh as she gave him a hug. 

He laughed, “You know me.  Just being awesome.”

“Honey, can you help us with the rest of the luggage?” she said, linking her arms into JC’s.  He nodded, following her back out to the driveway.

“Us?” I asked, aloud. 

“JC’s birthday party!  JC’s birthday party!” Trace started yelling. 

“What is wrong with you?  Are you having a psychotic episode?” I said, smacking him on the back of the head. 

JC came back inside with more bags.  The woman had only been gone for two nights.  I mean, really.  I heard Whitney outside the front door having a conversation with another woman.  In an instant, Whitney walked back inside the house, with a familiar gorgeous woman in tow. 

“This is Trace and this is Justin,” Whitney said, motioning to the two of us.  She smiled wide, “And boys, this is one of my best friends and my maid of honor-“

“-Alexia!” I said, letting out a breath of shock. 

She and I locked eyes for a moment, a smile forming on her face.  Whitney cocked her head slightly, unsure of how we knew each other.  “Alexia, have you met Justin?”

“Nice to see you again,” she said with a wink.  “Whitney, could you show me where the restroom is?”  Whitney nodded, leading Alexia down the hall. 

Trace looked at his watch and held out a hand for a high-five.  “Ninety-seven hours!  Ninety-seven hours!”  I shook my head as JC looked on, total confusion written on his face. 

 “JC,” I said, putting my hand on his shoulder, once the girls were out of earshot.  He turned and looked at me with confusion.  “Remember this night.  When you are the best man at our wedding and you are about to give your speech, you are going to tell this story.”

Trace punched me in the arm.  “Why does he get to be the best man?  I’m your best friend!”

**



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: anniversary unrequited boyfriendj love bestfriendj fiancej jealous triangles exboyfriendj brotherlylove breakupj boyfriendjc postsync proposal originalcharacter justinandtrace justin fiancejc producerjc