Getting Brandon settled and comfortable for the night took both JC and Laura hours that evening.  He eventually collapsed from sheer exhaustion from crying.   JC had left the room for some air while Laura maintained a steady vigil at Brandon’s bedside in case he needed anything or decided to try something on his own. 

Her gaze roved over his features in the dim light.  No one should be experiencing such pain let alone a young teenage boy struggling to find his way.  Her head was resting on her bent hand, too physically tired to hold it up any longer, but too mentally and emotionally wired to sleep. 

She didn’t know how long she sat there before a motion in the doorway caught her eye.  JC stood there looking at the figure in the bed.  After a long moment, he nodded his head toward Laura wanting her to come with him. 

She stood and leaned over the bed, brushing a hand over Brandon’s hair before following JC from the room.  She left the door behind her open so they could hear if Brandon awoke. 

They walked down the hall to the balcony.  Sliding open the door, he motioned for her to exit ahead of him.  She immediately walked over to the railing and gripped it with her good hand and all of her strength.  He moved behind her and merely placed a hand in the middle of her back.  That was all it took. 

She broke down completely.  Grabbing her shoulders, he turned her and pulled her into her arms, his own tears falling as well. 

After they both gained control, Laura sank down on one of the chairs as JC took the other one.  Their hands were still attached.  For many minutes, they were silent looking off in the distance, neither seeing the stars or nearby sights, both lost in their own thoughts. 

Without turning towards her, JC broke the silence.  “Who was it for you?”

She was silent so long; he didn’t think she would answer.  He was softly brushing his thumb against the back of her hand that he held. 

Taking a deep breath, she answered.  “One of the teens that I worked with, almost three years ago.  All the signs were there, but no one put them together.  The worst part was trying to help the survivors.  It’s such a senseless, selfish act.  But what gets me is how desperate do you have to be?  What goes through your mind right before?  That’s what I struggle with.  How do we get through to Brandon so he knows it’s not an option for him?”

“I don’t know.  Exactly what we’ve been doing, I guess.”

“How did you know?”

“What?  That you’ve dealt with it before?  You knew what to say to him – that there was nothing he could have done, it wasn’t his fault.  I didn’t know what to say at that point.”

“But you opened your home to him, it’ll take him a while, but one day he’ll be very grateful that you were there for him in the worst moment of his life.”

“So what’s next?”

“Getting him through the day.  No child his age should have to plan his mother’s funeral, but I didn’t know her and maybe a few details will help him get through this and still feel connected to her.  Joe said he would stop by, hopefully before Brandon gets up and we can talk about a few things.”

Stillness settled over the two as they watched the faint light of dawn start to appear.  He rose and guided her up next to him.  “I’m headed for bed for a while.  You need to go there too.  Do you need any pain medicine for your arm?”     

Laura smiled in sadness.  There was no pain medicine for the ache in her heart for the boy lying in a room down the hall.  And there would be none for his gaping hole.  “No, I’m fine.  I’ll go sit with Brandon again.  I’ll never sleep anyway.”

He saw the determined look on her face and knew he would never convince her otherwise.  “Alright, will you wake me if you need anything or if Joe comes?”

“Yeah.”  Quiet again they hugged in comfort before parting as Laura went back to her vigil.  JC stood for a moment in the hall, admiring her strength and how she put Brandon’s needs above her own.  Yawning, he found his way to his own bed, not sure he would get any sleep. 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: daddyjc marriedjc