Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry it's been a crazy couple of weeks.  Hopefully I'll be able to spend more time this week writing and get deeper into the story.  Let me know what you think and have a great week!

Just an hour later, Brandon started to stir.  Laura could tell the exact instant that he remembered.  But for the moment, he had no more tears.  Laying there for a while, he started to question. 

“Why would she do something like this?”

“I don’t know, Brandon.  I don’t know what was going through her mind.  Drugs can do a number on people.”

“She promised me she would give up drugs I don’t know how many times.”

“I can’t even pretend to understand what drugs do to your system or living with someone on drugs, but what you need to concentrate on right now is the good times with your mom.  The happy moments that you spent with each other.”

“I shouldn’t be feeling happy right now.  Death is all about sadness.”  He looked over as JC entered and sat with his back against a dresser near the door.  Laura barely spared him a glance. 

“Grief is every emotion under the sun.  It is perfectly okay to laugh at memories.  Remember that mom, the mom who loved you so much.  It’s okay to be mad at her for leaving you, but also remember the fun times you shared, the embarrassing moments, the way she cared for you when you were little.”

“Where do I go now?  I don’t have a home any more.”

“Yes, you do.”  JC spoke suddenly.  “Right here.”  He got up as he spoke and came over to sit on the side of the bed.

“Do you mean that?”  Brandon choked up as JC simply nodded.  All of a sudden, Brandon jumped off the bed, running into the hallway bathroom and slamming the door behind him. 

“That went well,” JC said almost to himself. 

“He’s just overwhelmed right now, he doesn’t know how to react to anything.  His world has been turned upside down and he’s struggling to find his footing.”  She paused as she couldn’t stop a yawn.  “Did you really mean you would keep him?  Adopt him or what?”

“I don’t know exactly, I just know I can’t let him go to foster care or anything like that, I guess I’ll take it a step at a time.”  He studied her closely in the morning light, noticing the weariness in her slumped posture, the deep dark circles under her eyes, and the yawns that wouldn’t stop.  “You need to get some rest.”

“I will, maybe after breakfast.”  Stretching, she stood and headed for the door.  “Are you hungry?”  Almost to the door, she paused before turning back.  “I’m sorry, I don’t mean to step on your toes.  I’m acting like this is my house.”  She laughed lightly in embarrassment. 

“No, don’t ever think that.  We’ve been through enough together the past couple of weeks that you should feel at home here.  I’ve been through more with you than some friends I’ve known for a lifetime.”  He paused as if deep in thought, studying her as he slid by to get to the hallway.  “Let’s go find something to eat then you can go to bed.”  He walked into the hall and knocked on the bathroom door, which opened  quickly.  “Come on Brandon, let’s go get some breakfast.” 

They ate breakfast and just as they were finishing Joe arrived.  The four of them talked over a few things before Laura began to make funeral arrangements, giving Brandon a chance to be involved but trying not to overwhelm or frighten him.  Meanwhile Joe and JC talked about the next steps and Joe put him in contact with someone who could help him gain guardianship for Brandon. 

The next days passed never leaving Brandon alone.  His emotions ran through the gamut.  One minute he was remembering the good times, the next screaming in anger.  Laura was exhausted from staying up with Brandon.  When she tried to sleep, she kept trying to figure out what had been going through his mom’s mind.  How she could leave her son alone in the world?  Laura was simply going through the motions, her mind was slowing down, she couldn’t think anymore because she was so tired. 

Finally, the night before the funeral JC had had enough.  She had run out of excuses, she simply couldn’t think of any more.  Brandon was in the shower and Laura had gone into the kitchen to grab a drink when JC caught up with her. 

Giving her no time to protest, he grabbed her hand as soon as she put the bottle of water down.  He pressed a sleeping pill into her hand and sternly looked at her, saying nothing.  She never even uttered a protest, swallowing quickly.  He nodded toward the stairs letting her lead as he shut off the lights and followed.  At her door, he stopped her for a brief moment. 

“Sleep well.  I’ll see to Brandon tonight.  Tomorrow will be a trying day for all of us.”

With her good arm, she wound it tightly around his neck, her fingers tangling in his hair.  His arms wrapped around her back and gave a long hug of comfort, exactly what they both needed. 

Finally stepping back, she staggered over to the bed, too exhausted to stay awake any longer. 

He waited until she had settled into the bed and pulled the covers up before he turned and walked down the hall to settle in the chair for the night next to Brandon’s bed. 

***

Laura woke more rested than she thought she would feel.  After quickly using the facilities, she exited her room to see how Brandon and JC had done overnight.  Poking her head in Brandon’s room, she saw it was empty, but then caught the murmur of voices from JC’s bedroom.  The door was partially closed so Laura stopped in the hall and tilted her head toward the voices. 

Apparently they were going through JC’s closet to find clothes and a tie that would fit Brandon.  Smiling at the way JC was keeping it lighthearted, she decided to shower and not interrupt them.  JC and Brandon would have to learn to get along with each other without her around. 

***

JC literally had to hold Brandon up at the graveside.  He was emotionally spent from the funeral.  Laura was disappointed at the turnout, there were not many people there to support Brandon in his time of need.  If it hadn’t been for the people from the center, it would have been just Laura, JC, Brandon, and the minister. 

As Brandon stood next to the casket to say his final goodbyes, JC stepped back to let him have a moment alone.  Reaching out blindly, he grabbed Laura’s hand in his and clung to it tightly.  Laura squeezed his in response.  They would let Brandon have as long as he needed. 

***

Over the next few days, Brandon rushed from task to task.  One moment he would be watching tv, the next jumping up to see if the mail had arrived, or starting to fix a sandwich but leaving before it was finished.  Laura was supposed to head back home, but had offered to stay a few more days to help with Brandon.  JC had immediately accepted. 

But the days passed faster than JC would have liked and the next thing he knew, he and Brandon had parked at the airport and were escorting Laura in to the counter. 

While they waited, the guys found a vacant bench and sat side by side.  Looking out of the corner of his eye, JC noticed Brandon unobtrusively wiping his eyes.  Looping an arm around his shoulder, JC put him in a headlock trying to comfort him.  JC was really going to miss Laura.  She had made everything seem so simple and knew exactly what to say in any occasion. 

Striding over to the bench, the two guys stood as Laura got closer. 

“Well, I’m all set.”  She noticed the tears in Brandon’s eyes and wrapped him in a hug.  Whispering in his ear, she said, “I’m going to miss you so much, Brandon.  I don’t know why things happen, but know that I am always here for you, anytime, anywhere, anything that you need.  I’m only a phone call away, okay?”  She leaned back to look into his eyes.  He simply nodded, unable to talk, and stepped back several feet. 

With a watery smile, she looked at JC.  “What can I say – thank you for taking such good care of me, even when I yelled at you.  What you are doing for Brandon is amazing and if you ever need a listening ear, I’m there.”

He tugged her into his arms, wrapping them around her waist as he placed his lips next to her ear.  “I’m going to miss you so much, I don’t know how to do this on my own.  Are you sure you won’t reconsider and stay longer?”

She suppressed a shiver that came from his closeness and his breath against her neck.  “I can’t, you will do a wonderful job with him.  Call me anytime, and I mean anytime.” 

Her cast was hard against his back.  He smiled as he remembered how they had met, never had he imagined she would be so important to him in such a short amount of time. 

He pulled back slightly back with a laugh, “Try not to break anything else, alright?”

She chuckled as she too remembered.  “At least not with that medication anyway!”  She looked over at Brandon.  “Take good care of him.”  Pausing she took a deep breath as she prepared to step back and head through security.  “I’d better go.”

Without even thinking, he pressed a light kiss on her lips then his eyes widened as he pulled away and bent to grab her carryon.  By the time he stood back up, they both had composed themselves.  Neither had been prepared for the electricity that had passed at even the lightest touch. 

He helped her get the bag on her good shoulder and with a final wave, she headed toward security, hoping she wouldn’t break down in tears.  After clearing security she glanced behind her once more at the two faces staring glumly back at her, then she was out of sight.  As soon as she was around the corner, she dropped her bag on the floor, and brought her hand to her lips.  Reliving the brief kiss, she thought of all she was leaving, but knew it was for the best. 

The two would get along just fine.  Now she had to learn how to live without them in her life.  But she would make it, she had to. 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: daddyjc marriedjc