Phone calls, texts, and e-mails were frequent over the next few weeks.  The three shared many details of their lives with each other even though they were many, many miles apart.   

They all celebrated when Laura got a clean bill of health from the doctor and her cast was removed.  JC and Brandon sent a bouquet of flowers and a restaurant gift card.  The note that was attached said:

Enjoy a meal on us that you can actually cut yourself!  But if you need me, I’m always happy to help out, especially for the entertainment value!!  JC

After laughing until she cried, she immediately called JC’s cell phone, getting only his voicemail.  She left a message that was full of laughter and thanks for the beautiful flowers and gift card.   She wished them both well as they hadn’t talked in several days. 

Slowly, once her cast was off, communication grew more sporadic.  She accepted it, they had moved on, she wouldn’t stand in their way.  It was for the best, at least that’s what she tried to convince herself. 

The summer passed and she had heard nothing for about many weeks.  She missed them but gave them their space, throwing herself into her work.  But as fall came, it was time to help on the farm.  Every year her primary responsibility was to operate the combine to harvest the crops.  She spent a lot of time in the fields harvesting as her father, Bob, hauled the grain to town. 

One such afternoon, about halfway through harvest, Laura was in the combine as usual, with the radio on that she was singing along with.  Her dad had just left with a semi full and her goal was to have the next ready for him as soon as he got back. 

When her cell phone that was sitting on the seat next to her rang, she answered it absentmindedly, not taking her eyes off what she was doing as she said hello.  She had been expecting a call from her dad telling her the line was long or some other such information.  But she certainly wasn’t expecting the voice on the other end. 

“Hey,” she remarked not really paying attention to the call.

“Hey there, broken any more bones lately?”  The voice on the other end asked. 

Laura recognized the voice, but pulled it away from her ear to double check. 

“No, not lately, I just seem to be clumsy around you!”  She exclaimed.  “What are you guys up to?”

“Oh you know, a little of this, a little of that.”  All of sudden, Laura caught an undercurrent in JC’s voice. 

“How are you doing?”  She pulled back on the controls so she could concentrate on the conversation. 

“We’re good.  Actually, we were wondering if you were up for some company?”

Laura struggled for words for a moment.  “Um… sure…absolutely!  When are you thinking of coming up?”

“Well, according to the GPS, we’re about 20 minutes away.”

Laura froze in shock, the first thing that jumped to her mind was what kind of shape her house was in.  She lived alone and spending so little time at home this time of year, things tended to get a little messy. 

“Wow… cool.  I’m actually not at home right now so where are you?  I’ll give you directions to find me.”  After giving detailed instructions to the field where she was, she hung up the phone and tried to figure out what was going on.  Now that she had a second to think, she wondered what had prompted this trip north.  There had to be something going on that he wasn’t sharing over the phone. 

Glancing down at the controls, she caught a glimpse of what she was wearing.  Torn jeans and t-shirt that were covered in dirt.  Her hands were dirty and had grease stains and cuts from where she had sliced them open on something.  Her hair was pulled up in a messy ponytail with pieces that had fallen down around her face. 

“Well, I guess they take me as I am.  They’ll get to see the real me this time.”  She said to herself, it was too late to do anything about it, there was a car slowing down and parking where she had instructed.  Laura finished the round in the combine and carefully pulled to a stop close to them.  She shut down the controls, but left the engine running.  Opening the door, she climbed down the ladder, but as soon as she reached the bottom she found herself engulfed in a hard hug. 

Brandon had immediately run over and grabbed her.  JC stood back a few feet, his hands in his pockets, an unreadable expression on his face.  As abruptly as she had been grabbed, she was released as Brandon studied the machine behind her. 

“Don’t touch anything and never approach a running machine unless I give a signal to you first, alright?”  Laura caught him by the arm, as he started to walk away.  “You could get really hurt, okay?  Brandon?”

“Yeah, okay, man this is so cool, you really run this thing all by yourself?”  He answered as he started to circle. 

“Yeah, all by myself.”  Laura laughed as she watched him, he was enthralled with the combine.  She determined she would keep an eye on him to make sure he didn’t get hurt.  By the time she turned back to JC, he had moved so he was standing in front of her. 

Smiling he looked down at her, then opened his arms for her to step into.  She hesitated, glancing down at her filthy clothes, but he simply stepped forward and wrapped his arms around her, silencing her protests. 

“Hi,” she said into his shoulder, breathing in the scent that was unique to him.  She was wondering if he even remembered their brief touching of their lips.  As they pulled back, he grabbed her previously injured arm and lifted it, taking a moment to examine it.  In reality, JC was admiring the soft skin of her arm on his fingertips. 

Meeting her eyes, he responded in kind, feeling some of the tenseness leave his shoulders.  It had been a very trying time since she left and right now he was kicking himself for not staying in contact.  He had been trying to prove he could handle everything on his own, but just being back in her presence made JC feel much calmer.  He and Brandon had flown up here on a whim.  Brandon had been having a very hard time, dealing with his mom’s death and switching to a new school system.  JC was at his wit’s end, not knowing how to handle the boy’s rocky emotions.  Laura had such a calming presence, that he was hoping to get Brandon back on the right track. 

Laura took a moment to try to read JC’s eyes, there was a quiet desperation that he was trying so hard to hide and some other emotion, but before she could ask any questions, Brandon completed the circle of the huge machine and came to stand next to them again. 

JC shook his head slightly in response to her unasked questions.  She nodded once before turning her attention to Brandon.  “So what do you think?”

“Sweet, I’ve never seen one before.”

“I’ll have to give you a ride while you’re here.”  A huge smile broke over his face at her statement.  Then his attention was diverted to the semi that was pulling in.  “Oh man, I’ve always wanted to ride in one of those.  Run over some cars.”

“Would you like to ride?  Dad’s headed back to town in the other one.”

His expression was priceless and all he could do was nod.  “We’ll ask my dad if it’s alright with JC that you ride.”

Brandon turned to JC pleadingly.  “If Laura’s dad says ok, then it’s alright with me.”

Bob parked the semi and shut it off before climbing down and wandering over to the threesome. 

“Dad, this is JC and Brandon.  This is my father Bob.”  She quickly made introductions and the men all shook hands and exchanged pleasantries.  “Brandon would like to ride to town with you if you don’t mind.”  Laura and her father had an entire conversation in one look without words. 

“Of course not, ever ridden in a semi before, Brandon?”  Bob put a friendly hand on Brandon’s shoulder and guided him over to the full semi.  Brandon was talking a mile a minute as the two walked away.  Her father was fully aware of the situation as Laura had shared much since she had been back home.

JC sighed as he watched them leave then his attention went back to Laura who was again trying to read his expression. 

Mentally shaking herself, she asked, “Well, back to work, join me?”

“Are you sure?  I really didn’t mean to intrude or anything, maybe this was a bad idea and we should just leave.”  He stopped when Laura placed a hand on his arm. 

“You could never intrude.  Climb up and ride with me, let me know if you get bored, but I need to get this field off before the rain comes.  I won’t bite I promise and you can tell me about it – if you feel like it.  If not, that’s okay too.”

She climbed up the ladder again and took her seat waiting for him to take the passenger seat next to her.  As she again started the machine running and headed back down the rows, she fell silent waiting on JC to talk if he felt like it. 

“How long will they be gone?”  He finally broke the silence in the cab of the combine. 

“At least an hour, if not longer depending on the line.”  She responded, not taking her eyes or attention from the crop in front of her.  He took this opportunity to study her profile.  She wasn’t beautiful in the classic sense, her true beauty came from the inside, which was why he had flown all this way just to get her help with Brandon.  He wasn’t sure what kind of help he was looking for, just that he couldn’t handle it by himself anymore. 

“I’ve missed you, you know.  I don’t know why I haven’t called you lately.  I’m a jerk.” 

She blushed at his words.  “You were busy and the two of you had to learn how to live and take care of each other.  I understood.”

JC inhaled deeply, trying to put his feelings into words.  When he did, they came rushing out all at once.  “I don’t know how to be a parent to him.  He has stopped talking about anything that matters.  He closes up and it’s like no one can get through to him.  He goes to school and I don’t know if has any friends because when he gets home, he sits on the couch or goes in his room and doesn’t say a word.  The most response I’ve gotten from him is when I mention your name.  When I suggested coming to visit you, he immediately reacted.  When he saw you, that’s the happiest I’ve seen him.  When he went off with your dad, that’s the most I’ve heard him speak probably since you left.  I just…I don’t know what to do.”

During his tirade, his hands had pounded on his legs.  It was his turn to look straight ahead, but as Laura slowed she looked at the emotion that was just pouring off of JC. 

“Wow…JC – I had no idea you were having so many problems.  Why didn’t you say something?  Never mind, it doesn’t matter.  I’m so sorry it’s been so hard on you guys.  Is Brandon still going to counseling?”

He scoffed.  “Yeah, if I can get him in the car.  He won’t talk about anything that goes on so I don’t know if it helps at all.” 

“I guess my next question is – what exactly do you want from me?”

He laughed sarcastically as he shook his head.  He still didn’t meet her gaze.  “That’s just it…I don’t know.  I just know that Brandon responds to you.  I had this crazy thought that I would like to adopt him but I don’t know if that’s the best thing for either of us right now.  I…”  He trailed off.

Laura considered her next words very carefully.  It had been many weeks since she had spent any amount of time with either of them and it was apparent that many things had happened in that time. 

“JC…I’m here for you, anything you need.  I think that it is wonderful and very admirable that you want to adopt Brandon.  Have you talked to him about it at all?”

“No, I haven’t been ready for that yet.  It’s been a waiting game – waiting to see if Brandon will talk to me – waiting to see if we can adjust to each other, just waiting.”

“I think that’s very wise, life has changed so fast for both of you lately.  I’ll do whatever I can to help.  How long are you here and what about Brandon’s schoolwork?”

“Not long, I don’t want to impose on your time.  We arranged for Brandon to bring most of his homework with him.  The teachers are all very understanding of our situation and are working with us.”  He slowly relaxed against the back rest starting to feel comfortable and less stressed.

Laura decided that she would take the next few days to gain some understanding of the situation and help JC and Brandon any way she could.  But for the time being, she thought a change in subject was necessary.  Hopefully, her father was talking to Brandon and getting his perspective on the situation. 

They talked for the next hour or so, not touching on the troubles that were surrounding JC and Brandon.  She saw much of the tenseness leave JC’s body as he started to laugh and enjoy himself.  Laura pushed her own feelings for JC aside, she wasn’t sure how she felt now that he had inserted himself so rapidly back into her life.  She was glad but not sure what that meant.  She was sure that JC didn’t have any feelings for her and was just coming to her because Brandon responded to her.  The brief kiss they had shared was probably long forgotten by JC by now. 

JC rode with Laura as she filled the semi and darkness fell.  Just as she was shutting down, Bob and Brandon returned. 

JC called over to Brandon.  “How was it?” 

Brandon came bounding over in excitement.  “That was so cool.  Can I ride again tomorrow?”

Bob laughed.  “If it doesn’t rain, you can ride all that you want.  He helped open the chutes.”  He looked over at his daughter and again they shared a look.  Laura would be talking to her father privately later about what he had learned during his time with Brandon. 

“Well, Brandon, thank Bob for taking you and let’s head to a hotel.” 

“Nonsense, I’ve got guest rooms at my house and what better chaperone than a teenage boy.”  She threw in the last part for her father’s benefit, but knew he understood why she was offering. 

“Are you sure?”  JC offered one last time to head to a hotel.

“Positive, follow us.”  She and Bob headed to a pickup that was parked nearby and Brandon and JC headed to their rental.  Laura was going to use the five minutes she had alone with her father in the truck to gain useful information about his take on Brandon. 

After pumping her dad for information, he dropped her off at her back door.  She motioned to tell JC where to park for the night.  She was trying to remember what kind of shape her house was in. 

As they grabbed their suitcases out of the trunk, she started apologizing.  “I’m sorry but you’re going to have to excuse the mess.  I’m not home a lot right now so things aren’t up to their usual standards.”  Meanwhile she was just hoping she hadn’t left any dirty clothes on the floor anywhere. 

“Are you sure it’s ok to stay here, it won’t hurt us to stay in a hotel.  Everyone knows that I’ve spend more than my share in them.”

“Honestly, it’s no problem at all, let’s go in.  Have you eaten?”  She unlocked the back door and led the way in, cringing before she stepped into the kitchen.  She breathed a sigh of relief that she had loaded the dishwasher before she left for the day.  Her house really wasn’t as bad as she had thought. 

She flipped on lights as she walked through the house, giving a short tour as she headed up the stairs to the guestrooms.  She instructed them to make themselves at home before she headed for the shower back downstairs off her own bedroom. 

They settled in well.  JC relaxed for the first time since Brandon’s mother had died.  Brandon took to life on the farm as if he had been born there.  If Bob was around, he had a constant shadow.  Brandon even started opening back up to JC, like he had before tragedy had struck his life.  Laura gave JC and Brandon every opportunity to spend time together both with her there and alone together, getting back on even footing.  When it rained, she took them to her favorite local places where they all had a wonderful time together. 

JC had decided that they had spent enough time there and made plans to head back to their house in Florida.  Brandon didn’t like the idea and couldn’t understand why they couldn’t stay with Laura forever. 

Before someone said something they would regret, Laura pulled JC out of the house for a walk.  Brandon was settled in front of the tv watching a movie as they stepped out of the house. 

JC walked at a fast pace trying to out pace his frustration.  “I don’t know about Brandon any more.  I think this has been a good thing for him – thank you for putting up with us, by the way.”

Laura was rushing to keep up with.  “JC you can come any time that you want to.  It’s been a pleasure having the two of you here.  You are doing a great job with Brandon.  Talk to him about adopting him, see what he thinks of the idea, tell him about your experiences with adoption.  Tell him how you felt with your adoption.”

His pace suddenly slowed so that now the two were walking side by side.  He released a deep sigh and locked his hands behind his head.  “I just need to give it more time right?”

“Yeah, you do. It will get better, I promise.”

“I hope so.  He really looks up to you.  We both do actually.  I don’t know that either of us would have made it through any of this without you.”  JC dropped his hands back to his sides.  He stopped in his tracks as a thought occurred to him.  He voiced it aloud before Laura could form a response, she was several steps ahead of him. 

“Marry me.”  He said in an even tone, knowing deep down it was truly what he wanted and hadn’t acknowledged it until right now. 

She froze in her tracks before she spun around, her long hair fanning out behind her then settling over her shoulders unnoticed. 

“What?”  She asked in a shocked, breathless voice. 

He moved in front of her, reaching down for her hands as he repeated himself.  “Marry me, Laura.”

Chapter End Notes:
Well????  Let me know what you think.  I hope to have the next chapter up over the next couple of days.  Thanks for reading!


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: daddyjc marriedjc