Author's Chapter Notes:

I know - I know.  I left a terrible cliffhanger last night.  Sorry I had a meeting and had to stop writing, but now today I'm off work and while I should be cleaning my house, I'm updating.  I'll try and get another chapter done today, but no promises. 

Thanks for reading and as always let me know what you think.  

“Marry me, Laura.”  As he grasped her hands tightly in his, her heart soared in joy and excitement.  Could this mean that he was in love with her?  “Marry me and help me raise Brandon.” 

Her heart plummeted to her feet.  She lowered her lashes so he couldn’t see the disappointment and sudden rush of tears in her eyes at his last statement.  She was attracted to him and was already in love with him, but with his words, she knew he could never feel the same way.  He only wanted her for Brandon, not for himself. 

Jerking her hands out of his, she stepped around him and headed back to the house.  “I never dreamed that the first time I heard those words, it would be as a joke.”  She tried to play off her deep feelings of regret and hurt.  Why, she wasn’t sure – she hadn’t been expecting it – never even imagined he would ask the question she most longed to hear.  However, in her dreams, the man asking would be deeply in love with her and she with him.  Not just as someone to help raise his foster child whom he hoped to adopt. 

He scrambled to catch up to her as she rushed away.  “What – a joke – I never meant it as a joke, I am completely serious!  Laura stop – just wait a minute!”  He finally grasped her upper arm and pulled her to a stop. 

He sighed trying to think how he could fix it.  It was apparent from her reaction she didn’t have the same feelings for him as he had for her.  What could he say to convince her to marry him?  Surely if he could just persuade her to marry him, love for him would follow.  He had to think fast on his feet if he wanted this to work. 

“Look, I know this may not be the ideal solution, but think about it.  If we get married, Brandon will have two parents who care for him.  Your strengths are my weaknesses and vice versa.  We make a great team, I think we’ve proven that well if you look back.  This way you could quit your job and just help out on the farm.  I know you hate your office job and this would give you the freedom to do whatever you want to do.  You’ll never have to worry about money again.  Brandon looks up to you and is settling in here so much better than he ever did in Florida.  Maybe the memories are too much for him down there, I don’t know.  Maybe…eventually…we can adopt a couple more kids, remember how we both talked about that?”

“JC, all that doesn’t mean we should get married.  You could buy a house up here if that’s what you wanted to do to get Brandon away from Florida.  Or go stay in your house in LA.  And what about all the times that you said you didn’t want a woman who was only after your money?  How many times did we talk about the women in your life who you thought liked you but were only out for your money?  You’re telling me to quit my job and just live off of you for the rest of my life?”

“But you’re not like those other women – you’ve proven that over and over.  You’re kind and considerate and caring and great with kids.  I really respect that about you.  I’ve got more than enough money to support us for the rest of our lives.”  He lightly ran his thumb over the back of her hand.  He was trying desperately to get her to say yes.  Love would come in time; he knew it and he would do whatever it took to marry her. 

She bit her bottom lip in confusion.  “To me marriage is forever, a lifetime commitment, no other men for me, and no other women for my husband.  Why would you want to tie yourself down to someone like me when you can go out and see the world?”

“That’s what marriage is to me too, I’ve seen the world and I feel more at home here than I ever did anywhere else.  Maybe – maybe for right now it’s a marriage in name only, a marriage of convenience.  Love will come in time.”  Both hearts were shouting in unison – Love is already here!  Can’t you see it?  Neither would say the words aloud though. 

Laura turned slightly away from JC, bringing her free hand up to rub her forehead.  She mumbled softly, almost to herself.  “I can’t believe I’m even considering this.”

His heart leapt for joy!  She was thinking about it.  JC knew her better that she thought; he went straight for her heartstrings.  “You know I’m going to have a hard time adopting Brandon by myself as a single man, but if I was married…”

She let out a deep breath.  He knew exactly what to say to sway her thinking.  “Can I think about it tonight?  This is a huge decision.”  One that would be so simple if you would just say three little words.  “I’ll have your answer in the morning.”

“Of course,” he said gently, seeing the many emotions cross her face.  “Take all the time you need.  If you need to talk in the middle of the night, I’m there.”

Pulling away, she whispered a soft good night and headed for the house.  He stuffed his hands in his pockets as he watched her walk away.  Now that the question had been asked, he knew it was the right thing.  He hoped and prayed anxiously that she would agree to marry him.  He would gladly meet any concessions she had.  If it meant a platonic relationship for a while after they were married, he would handle it – for her and only for her.  He hadn’t realized until the question left his lips just how much he loved her and needed her in his life. 

“Please say yes,” he whispered in the dusk surrounding him.  “Please!”

Chapter End Notes:
Review!!  Review!!  And have a great day!


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: daddyjc marriedjc