Laura stumbled back to the house in a complete daze.  The man she just recently realized that she had been in love with for months had just asked her to marry him.  She should be celebrating with the man who loved her, but instead she was heartbroken.  He didn’t love her.  Would he grow to love her in time? 

She walked through the house and passed Brandon, not even hearing him ask if she was all right.  Walking into her bedroom, she snapped the door closed and collapsed on her bed, not even bothering to put on pajamas.  She never heard JC come in a few minutes later and have an upset Brandon shout at him.

***

Brandon jumped to his feet when JC made his way into the living room and dropped onto the couch next to where Brandon had been sitting. 

“What did you do?”

JC froze mid yawn to look up at Brandon towering over him.  “What?”

He punctuated each word.  “What – did – you – do?”

At the look of confusion on JC’s face, Brandon pointed toward the closed bedroom door. 

“Oh,” JC’s browed furrowed as he had no intention of sharing what had gone on outside.  “Nothing, why?”

“That didn’t look like nothing, she just walked through like she had no idea I was sitting here talking to her.”

“Did she seem upset?”  JC pretended nonchalance at the question. 

“I don’t know – she just wasn’t herself.”

“How do you mean?  How did her face look?”  JC sat forward, listening intently.

“I guess she looked like she was in shock or something.”  Now Brandon was even more puzzled at the self-satisfied look on JC’s face.  JC hopped up, grabbed Brandon around the neck with one arm and with the other he rubbed his knuckles over his head. 

“Thank you!”  JC nearly danced his way up the stairs to his bedroom, leaving Brandon downstairs wondering at the craziness of the two adults who were supposed to be taking care of him. 

***

Upstairs, JC undressed and slipped into pajama pants.  If she had looked like she was in shock, then he would take that as a good sign.  Perhaps that meant she had taken him seriously.  Never had he imagined himself asking a woman to marry him, let alone offering a platonic relationship at first, but if that was what it took for him to win the heart of the woman he loved then that was what he would do. 

He was already plotting ways to slyly worm his way into her heart.  Maybe he needed to get Brandon involved.  Just as he was getting ready to go spill the beans to his foster son, he pulled himself up short. 

What if she says no?  What if she decides this isn’t the life for her?  JC’s thoughts ran wild.  What if she never loves me?  He had a hard time catching his breath. 

Hearing Brandon’s foot steps on the stairs, JC rolled over and pretended sleep.  He wasn’t going to involve Brandon until he was sure that Laura would say yes.  Then they would all be able to celebrate and start planning their lives together.  Surely everything would fall into place. 

***

Downstairs, an entire different scenario was taking place.  JC had known exactly which punches to pull so that she was seriously considering his offer.  Her thoughts were running rampant.  Could she marry a man who didn’t love her?  Brandon would be out of the house in a couple of years, what if he regretted tying himself down after Brandon was grown? 

Then all of a sudden she heard a boyish giggle laughing at the tv in the living room.  Maybe it would be for the best if she married JC.  The teen in her house would always have a place to go even if JC never loved her.  They could be their own family. 

Why was she even considering this?!  Her family would be extremely upset if they found out she had married a man for anything other than love.  If she went through with this, there were a few stipulations that would have to be put in place. 

Hugging a pillow to her chest, she made her decision and knowing she wouldn’t sleep much, she began to lay out her plans for the conversation that would happen in the morning.  It could possibly be the most important conversation of her life. 

***

Neither of them slept very well that night.  Upstairs, he was trying to come up with more arguments to get her hand in marriage.  Downstairs, she was trying to come up with the words to convey all she wanted. 

In the morning, they both met in the kitchen.  Laura had it all planned out – she had prepared breakfast and had the table set for just the two of them.  Brandon would sleep for at least another hour so the two of them had plenty of time to talk. 

“Good morning,” JC announced softly as he walked in. 

“Morning,” she replied over the rim of her coffee cup.  “Have a seat and eat.”

His stomach revolted at the thought of food.  She certainly wasn’t acting as if she was going to accept his proposal.  He sat across from her and she handed him a plate full of eggs and sausage. 

Placing it in front of him, he waited for her to speak. 

“Before I tell you my decision, I need to ask you some questions.”

“Okay, anything you want.”  JC waited with growing alarm the longer Laura paused. 

“Why tie yourself down like this when Brandon will be out of the house in just a couple of years?

He could do this; he could answer these questions.  The rest of his life depended on how well he answered these questions.  “I don’t see it as tying anybody down.  It’s expanding our lives and fulfilling them.  Just because Brandon will be out on his own, doesn’t mean we can’t help other unfortunate kids that are out there.  We’ll have a lifetime together to decide what we want to do.”

“What about sleeping arrangement and kids of our own?”  She blushed as she rushed quickly through the question. 

He tenderly looked into her eyes.  “I would love to have kids of our own someday, but there’s no rush.  We can wait until we’re both ready and we can take as long as either of us need.  I can stay in the guest room until that happens.”

She shook her head and his eyes brightened.  “No, if I agree then this needs to look as real as possible.  I may not be ready for intimacy just yet, but to everyone but the two of us, it needs to look real.  Not even Brandon should know what we are doing.  My parents will definitely not understand why we are doing this so if we go through this, it…”  Her voice drifted off as he reached across the table for her hand.  He pulled it toward him and caressed it in both of his. 

“Like this?” 

“Um…yeah.”

“We can do that.  Any other concerns?”  She shook her head.  “Then what do you say?”

She took a deep breath before speaking her mind.  “Okay,” was all she was able to get out at the moment.  What had happened to her speech?

“Okay, what?”  He asked hesitantly.  He didn’t want to assume anything. 

Her eyes locked with his.  “Okay, I’ll marry you.” 

Almost in unison each lowered their lashes so the other couldn’t see the joy or hope hidden in them.  JC was the first to move and he kept a hold of her hand as he circled the table and tugged her to her feet and into his arms. 

“An engagement should be celebrated by a hug and kiss, don’t you think?”

Not waiting for her response, he lowered his head and they shared their second kiss.  Laura got lost in the feelings that his kiss stirred in her and all too soon JC pulled away.  He wanted to take this slowly as to not scare her away with the intensity of his love.  He would take this one step at a time as long as it took to gain her love. 

Chapter End Notes:
Review - review! 


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: daddyjc marriedjc