Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for reading and reviewing.  You inspire me!!

Nervously, hand in hand, JC and Laura presented a strong, united front as they exited their bedroom the next morning.  Their families were bound to be overbearing and want an explanation.  JC didn’t think Laura would be up to all their sympathies so he was determined to remain glued to her side.  He would rush her away if necessary. 

A hush fell over the kitchen as the couple entered, Brandon was the only one who kept eating at the island, everyone else stopped and stared.  The two moms were the first to move.  They almost ran over to Laura, engulfing her with hugs.  Laura however maintained a tight grip on JC’s hand so he was included in the embrace. 

“I’m so sorry, it’s all my fault.  I overheard you guys talking about you not feeling well and just assumed it was morning sickness.  I’m so sorry to have brought all this up.”  Laura’s mom had tears in her eyes as she clung to her daughter.  Laura’s hand gripped JC’s even tighter than before. 

“You didn’t know, mom.  I understand.”

“No, your mom had nothing to do with it.  I told her I wondered if you would be making an announcement soon.  If I hadn’t done that, none of this would have happened.  It’s my fault.”  JC’s mom tried to shoulder the blame. 

JC’s jaw was tightly clenched as he tried not to rein in his emotions.  Her fingernails were digging ever deeper into his skin with every passing moment. 

“I –” Laura looked desperately at her husband, trying to find the words. 

JC had had enough.  “Look, this is exactly why we didn’t want to bring it up.  It’s painful enough without having to relive it over and over.  Laura is – no, we are dealing with it the best way we know how.  But being constantly reminded isn’t going to do anyone any favors.  We both appreciate your love and support, but she’s not feeling well, she lost an awful lot of blood and is still trying to come to grips with everything so forgive us if we don’t want to hash out every little detail.”  The rest of the family was taken aback by his anger, but JC could feel Laura sagging against him more and more. 

Wiggling his fingers to release them from Laura’s tight grip, he put a strong, supporting arm around her waist as she tucked her head into his shoulder.  With his opposite hand, he tenderly smoothed his fingertips over her soft hair and silky skin. 

“Let’s just drop it, ok?”  Laura mumbled in the quiet, but everyone heard her words. 

“I just need to say one more thing and then I’ll never bring it up again.”  Tyler avoided looking at his brother, sure that the daggers being shot at him would severely wound if not kill.  “I was completely insensitive last night.  I should never have brought it up.  If – no – when the two of you have kids, it’s your own business.  I take full responsibility for upsetting you last night.  I ignored the warning signs that JC was trying to give me and thought I knew best.  I am so sorry for causing you any more pain.  Can you ever forgive me?”

His passionate plea spoke to Laura’s heart and she motioned to him with her free hand.  She placed one hand on his cheek as she forgave him.  “While that wasn’t your intention, you actually helped me.  I hadn’t cried yet and last night you forced me to express my grief.  While I don’t wish the experience on any woman or couple, it happened for a reason.  We will never forget the little person that we only knew about for four days,” she looked up with a gentle, teary smile at JC.  “But I’ve come to realize it was nothing that I did or didn’t do and have no reason to believe it will happen again.  However,”  she looked around the room at everyone,  “please don’t ask anymore.  When there is an announcement to be made, we will be ecstatic to let everyone know, but in our own time.  Let’s put this behind us and move on, okay?  Now what’s for breakfast?”

The family acted a little stilted for the rest of the morning.  Afraid to say too much, unwilling to trigger any unhappy memories.  JC, Laura, and Brandon tried to act normal but it was hard with everyone around them walking on eggshells. 

Pleading tiredness, Laura escaped with JC’s help for a little quiet time to their bedroom.  Groaning she flopped back on the bed while JC opted for the comfortable chair near the window. 

“That is exactly why I didn’t want to share the news.  How long do you think it’s going to be before they start treating me normally again?”

“Well, normal is subjective so –”  His words were cut off as a pillow sailed through the air towards his face.  Serious now, he finished his thought.  “I really don’t know, they are all leaving tomorrow and it’ll be awhile before we see them again so maybe …  How are you really feeling?”

“Physically or mentally?”  She turned on her side and propped her chin on her elbow to watch him. 

He studied her right back.  “Both.”

She took a deep breath and let it out again before speaking.  “Honestly, physically, I don’t feel that bad for losing so much blood.  I still feel really tired sometimes, but I’m hoping that will go away soon.  Mentally, I’m getting there.  You know how I tend to internalize everything, so I’m trying not to, but it’s hard.  I’m afraid that it will happen again and when do we stop trying?”

He started shaking his head halfway through.  “You said it yourself downstairs, we have no reason to believe that it will happen again so we don’t need to worry about that now.  Besides the fun is in the trying anyway, right?”  His eyebrows wiggled up and down in suggestion.  “We’ll just wait a while before we start trying again for a baby.  We weren’t even really planning this, just knew it was a possibility when you went off the pill.  But meanwhile, once you are completely healed and feel 100% better, we will practice and practice and practice.  Cause practice makes perfect right?”

“If we get any more perfect, I’m not sure I’ll survive.  But I have to say, practicing with you is a definite perk of being married to you.  It might even outweigh the disadvantages.”   

She jumped off the bed on the opposite side as he stood in mock anger.  “Disadvantages – there are no disadvantages.  I am the best husband ever.”  He stalked around the bed as she darted into the bathroom. 

Allowing him to catch her, she snuck her arms around his waist as she looked into his eyes.  “I have to agree with you there.  You are perfect in every way and the love that we share is amazing.  I am so blessed to have found you and thank God for you every day.” 

“Ditto,” he whispered as he kissed her.  Before it could get too heated, he pulled away.  “Shall we go back downstairs for a while and see if they are normal yet?”

“Yeah, but my family is definitely more normal than yours!”  Hand in hand they descended the stairs arguing over whose family was the most normal.  The silly argument was just what they needed in order to face their families.

Chapter End Notes:
Don't forget to review!


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: daddyjc marriedjc