Now that the twins were on somewhat of a schedule and would hopefully be napping for a couple of hours, Laura grabbed the baby monitor and headed up to Brandon’s room.  Sophie was at school and JC was in the studio working for the morning.  Laura had decided that it was time that she and Brandon sat down and talked. 

For some reason Brandon was still distant with her.  He had started to relate again with JC because they spent so much time in the car practicing his driving skills.  Any time something new happened or changed, Brandon withdrew into his shell as a defense mechanism, but that would be changing.  Laura had been spending the majority of her time with the new twins, but had decided that tonight the whole family would sit down for a nice meal.  Brandon just didn’t know his part in it yet. 

She tapped on his open bedroom door and Brandon glanced up at the sound.  “Why don’t we leave the homework for a while.  Come downstairs and we’ll have a new lesson.”

“But – ”  He started to protest. 

Laura interrupted.  “Wash your hands and meet me in the kitchen.”  She didn’t wait for another objection as she immediately turned and walked away.

It took several minutes, but Laura finally heard footsteps heading her way.  She didn’t even look up when she saw Brandon out of the corner of her eye, choosing instead to assign him a job dealing with the meal they were preparing.  She kept up a running monologue as the worked together.  Soon though she was trying to draw Brandon out and learn what was going on in his life. 

“How’s driving with your dad going?”

Brandon mumbled under his breath, not believing that Laura could hear him.  “Why keep pretending you’re my parents.”  Then louder, “Fine.”

In shock, Laura dropped the glass of water she held.  The glass shattered all over the floor with water rushing across the floor, soaking into her socks.  Brandon looked up with a furrowed brow at the sound, his eyes met Laura’s and shame had him looking away. 

“Alright, that’s enough!  I’ve had it!”  She stepped over the shards of glass to circle the counter to stand in front of her son.  Her gaze flashed with fury as she spoke in a controlled voice full of anger.  “Living room – now – sit down!”

Brandon slunk into the living room, casting a desperate look toward the back door as he passed.  He collapsed on the couch and waited silently, head down.  Laura leaned on the counter a moment, trying to regain her cool.  She let out a sigh as she checked on the twins before heading in to sit on the footstool in front of Brandon. 

She simply sat there and gazed at Brandon’s lowered head, waiting patiently for him to look up.  Many minutes passed as she was determined to wait him out, she prayed the twins wouldn’t wake up just yet. 

Finally, he looked up to quickly meet her gaze before he averted his eyes again.  “Have we ever made you feel like you are not part of this family?”

“No.”

Laura ran a hand through her hair in frustration, deciding to try something else.  “What does this remind you of?”

He shrugged.  “The center?”

“Exactly, the day that I tried to break up that fight you were having and broke my arm.”  She laughed lightly as she remembered.  “You know I never thanked you for that day.”

Brandon finally met her gaze head on for the first time.  “What?”

“Well, you know, if you hadn’t been fighting and I hadn’t been hurt, I never would have met JC.  You see…the only reason we were in the office that day was to talk, otherwise I never would have gone to the office.  I never would have met JC and gotten to know you as well and become a part of your family.  So you see, you are the reason that JC and I are married and we have you and Sophie in our lives.” 

“I know you haven’t had an easy life, but I will forever be in your debt for what you have done for me.  I know it hasn’t been easy since Jacob and Rose were born, but I’m tired of you feeling that you need to walk on eggshells or go into your shell because we are going to kick you out.”  Brandon’s face showed his embarrassment and Laura went on.  “Yes, you are very easy to read because I love you, Brandon, and I know you.  You will always be our first.  I know it’s not always easy, but you belong here with JC and me and Sophie and the twins.”

Laura put her hand on his knee.  “We are not going to kick you out, you are stuck with us forever.  Have we ever treated you like anything other than our son?”

“I don’t know.”

“Well if you don’t know, let me tell you some things.  First of all, both JC and I want the best for you, we want to give you all the opportunities that you can ever want.  If we are tough on you or set rules that you don’t agree with, it’s because we love you and are trying to help you make good decisions.  We only want the best for you.  And your sisters and brother look up to you so much.  They are going to grow up and want to be just like you.  I may not have given birth to you, but you are my son.  I would fight with everything in me if something ever tried to harm you or you were in danger.  You can always count on me.”

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean it, I love it here with everyone.  You guys have been better parents to me that my own.  I just was afraid that when Jacob and Rose were born that you wouldn’t want Sophie and I around anymore.” 

“Brandon, that is not going to happen…ever!”

“I know.”  They spent a little more time talking, Laura wanted to make sure that Brandon knew he was wanted and loved.  By the time they finished and went back to making a nice meal for everyone, Brandon was acting like his normal self and had again turned into his chatty teenaged self. 

***

JC picked up Sophie from school on his way home from the studio.  Sophie chatted about her day the whole way home.  Before they were home, JC was current on all the important and unimportant news from the third grade. 

He knew what Laura had been planning and was eager to get home and see if her plan had worked.  He pulled into the drive and was relieved to see the house was still standing.  So far so good. 

He tentatively entered the house after Sophie who was still chattering away.  Laura was soon giving Sophie a one armed hug as the other was holding tight to Rose.  Brandon was making funny faces at Jacob before he turned to Sophie and JC. 

JC could see the relief on his face and the tension was now gone from his body.  The strain of not being sure he had a home was gone and the Brandon that they all knew and loved was back. 

“Sophie, your snack is on the table, but make sure you save room for supper.  It’s going to be really good, isn’t it Brandon?”

“The best!”  He exclaimed. 

“It smells delicious,” JC said as he snagged a cookie from the table.

“Dad,” Brandon yelled, “Those are for dessert.”

“Maybe I want dessert first,” he responded as he leaned over his daughter to give Laura a quick kiss before buzzing a kiss on Rose’s head and moving over to greet both Brandon and Jacob. 

For the first time since the twins had come home, the family was truly relaxed and everyone was happy and content. 

Chapter End Notes:
Review!


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: daddyjc marriedjc