JC’s eyes narrowed as he looked at her lowered head.  Not many people had ever stood up to him like that.  He rubbed his hand over his jaw as he thought about what he should do.  She had told him to go, that she didn’t need him here; but he saw the pain and fear in her eyes from being told she needed to have surgery.    

Rolling his eyes at himself, he slowly sat back in the chair and started bouncing his leg up and down. 

Laura rolled her head to the side so that she could see what he was doing. 

He gave a tight smile to her and said, “I’ll stay until you get through surgery.  I promised your dad I would keep him updated.”

“Thank you.”  Laura said simply as the nurse came back through the door. 

“It’s time to get you ready.  Let’s get you on the bed and upstairs where they will prep you for surgery and fix you arm.  How does that sound?”  The nurse kept talking, explaining the procedure as she helped Laura brace her arm so she could lie down on the bed. 

JC sat there watching the proceedings quietly.  Finally after getting Laura settled, she turned to JC and said, “Sir, if you can hang on to her personal items and follow us, I’ll show you to a waiting room and someone will let you know when the surgery is done so you can be with your girlfriend again.”

JC and Laura spoke over themselves in their haste to correct her assumptions. 

“No, he’s not… he just brought me to the ER.”

“We’re not dating, we just met.  I just want to make sure she gets through surgery alright.”

The nurse’s eyebrows rose at their vehement argument.  “Sorry, I just thought you could be a cute couple.”  Then, all business again, “If you will just follow us, sir, I’ll show you where you can wait.” 

***

Glancing up at the clock for the hundredth time, JC again thought of all that he wasn’t getting done sitting here in the hospital waiting room.  How long does it take to set an arm anyway?  Throwing the magazine he wasn’t reading on to the table in front of him, he cracked his knuckles as the door opened to the waiting room. 

A doctor in scrubs walked in and noticed he was the only one in the room.  “Are you here for Laura?”

“Uh, yeah.  How did the surgery go?”

“Fine, the bone has been set, we didn’t have to place a pin, we were able to set the bone without it.  Laura has a cast on her arm and is still sedated, but you can see her if you would like.  As soon as she wakes up, she can be released.  However, she shouldn’t be alone over the next 24 – 48 hours in case she has a reaction to the sedation.  Does she live alone?”

“I don’t know, but I’ll make sure someone stays with her.” 

Shaking JC’s hand, the doctor told him that a nurse would be in to let him know which room shortly.  Great, now what do I do?  JC was pretty sure that all the program people who came in to assist stayed at a long-term hotel.  He couldn’t just dump her there and leave.  Giving a frustrated sigh, he dialed her parent’s number to give them an update after surgery. 

After reassuring her father that he would see to it Laura wouldn’t be alone, he followed the nurse to where Laura was waiting in recovery.  The nurse turned to JC after getting him a chair and told him it wouldn’t be long until Laura was awake.  “Did the doctor talk to you about the next 48 hours?”

“Yeah, he said she shouldn’t be alone.”

“This kind of sedation can cause confusion and dizziness.  It’s important that someone be with her in case that happens.  If it does, bring her immediately back to the ER.  Are you the one who will be with her?”

JC cleared his throat as he saw his plans for the next couple of days falling through.  Shifting in his seat, he simply nodded his head. 

At his nod of agreement, the nurse started listing off instructions for Laura’s care and medication.  “I’m going to go ahead and give you her prescription so you won’t have to fill that on your way home.  Now do you have any questions?”

“No, you’ve been very helpful, thank you.”  Before leaving, the nurse told him to press the call button once Laura awoke. 

Alone in the room with Laura, he glanced around at the plain walls before turning his attention to the woman lying on the bed.  Her face was almost as pale as the sheets.  Her long lashes a stark contrast against her white face.  She wasn’t beautiful in a classic sense, but her features were attractive. 

Rolling his neck, he rested his head against the back of the chair and closed his eyes. 

***

Laura’s eyelids felt heavy as she came back into consciousness.  She could hear heavy breathing from somewhere close by.  Forcing her eyelids open, she blinked to clear away the fuzziness.  Looking down, she noticed her arm was in a cast and everything came rushing back.  Moving her head to the side, she noticed JC sitting next to the bed asleep. 

Just then, the nurse entered the room.  “Good you’re awake.  How do you feel?”  Her voice woke JC who licked his lips and stretched. 

“Better than I was.”  Laura replied. 

“Are you dizzy at all or feel sick?”

“No, I’m fine.  Ready to get out of here!”

The nurse laughed, “That’s what everyone says, it must be my glowing personality that makes everyone want to leave.  I’ve given your prescription for pain and instructions to this kind gentleman here so he’ll take good care of you.  As soon as we get you dressed, you will be free to go.”

“I’ll step out for a minute; let me know when you’re ready to leave.”

Quickly and carefully dressing to avoid bumping her injured arm, she thanked the nurse again and stepped into the hall.  JC was holding the wall up, but stood to his full height when he saw her. 

“Ready?”

“Yeah, thanks for waiting.”

“Not a problem.”

They walked silently to his vehicle where he held the door for her and again helped her buckle her seatbelt.  He concentrated on his driving while she looked out at the darkening city. 

“Hey, wasn’t that the road back to the center?”

“Yeah.”

“Are you going to turn around?”

“No.”

“Then where are you taking me?”  She said in exasperation.

“My house.”

“What??!! Why?”

“They said you couldn’t be alone for the next 48 hours and I told them I would look after you.”

“I’m fine, I don’t need looking after.  I’m sure you have better things to do.”

“It’s fine.  I made a promise and I don’t break my promises.”

She turned away from him in a huff.  She didn’t even know him and he was taking her back to his house.

“Look, this may not be the ideal situation, but I just want to make sure you’re alright.  Let’s make the best of this, ok?”

Laura studied his profile in the darkness of the car.  “Thank you.”  If he tried anything, all she had to do would be to hit him over the head with the hardness of her cast.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: daddyjc marriedjc