The next day found both of them extremely tired.  Laura was afraid to fall asleep, not sure what would be waiting for her, but was urging JC to sleep.

“Go on to bed, I’ll be fine.”

“You need to rest too.  If you head to bed, I’ll go.”  JC argued.

“I’m not ready to deal with that just yet.”  Laura’s eyes looked off into the distance, remembering what had happened the last two times she had slept.  Shaking off the feeling, she looked over at JC sitting next to her.

He studied her eyes and must have come to a decision, as he sighed and hoisted himself off the couch.  Moving to a switch next to the large floor to ceiling windows, he pressed a button.  Large blinds dimmed and then darkened the room.  JC made his way back to the large l-shaped couch and laid down covering up.

Closing his eyes, he said.  “I’m not comfortable leaving you down here by yourself, in case something would happen and you won’t go to bed so I suggest you lay down and pretend to sleep.  For me.”  He finished with a yawn.

“Alright, I’ll pretend for you.”  She smiled as he emitted a light snore.  “That didn’t take long.”

She randomly looked through the channels before settling on a movie she had seen before.  Stretching out, she adjusted the pillow under her head as she tried to fight off the exhaustion.  She wasn’t successful as she eventually fell into her own deep sleep.

***   

Sometime later in the day, the sound of gunshots had Laura sitting straight up on the couch.  The volume on the tv was so loud, it had jolted her out of a deep sleep.  Rubbing her eyes, she saw JC still snoring peacefully on the other half of the couch.    

She tossed the blanket aside and stood up, heading toward the bathroom on the first floor.  But as she cut through the kitchen, she was startled by a woman calling her name.  

“Hey Laura, I wondered if you guys were going to sleep all day.  It’s not often I meet someone who can sleep as much as JC.”  The woman smiled as she sat at the island with a computer and cell phone in front of her.

Laura stopped in her tracks - she wasn’t sure who this woman was or how she knew her name.  

“Oh, I’m Katie by the way, JC’s assistant and cousin.  I’m the one who gathered your stuff and took your car back.  I just want you to know that I told JC you wouldn’t be happy, but he thinks he’s always right so, what are you gonna do?”  Katie rambled on as she kept working on the computer, glancing up when there was no response.  

“Nice to meet you, yeah I was a little upset about the car and everything.  I tried to set him straight, but I’m not sure it sunk in.  And I don’t usually sleep this much, I was up in the middle of the night so...”  Her voice drifted off.  

“JC’s snoring, huh?”  Katie laughed at her own joke.  

“Yeah, absolutely.”  Laura added her own laughter.  “No, actually, whatever medicine they gave me at the hospital has caused a horrible reaction. The dreams are - there are no words.  JC saw me get up and came downstairs with me to keep me company and help if I needed it.  Although how he woke up earlier, I’ll never know because he’s certainly out now.”

“It’s not nice to talk about people behind their backs.”  JC stumbled into the kitchen and headed straight for the coffee.

Laura blushed as Katie just sent a dry look his way.  “You know, cuz...never mind.”  Katie cut off her sentence as she saw the look in JC’s eyes as he looked at Laura.  It was a look of pure enchantment.  

JC took a long sip of coffee as he sauntered over to the island and sat down.  Turning to Laura, he asked, “ Are you ready for some more medicine?”

“Yeah, thanks, just let me hit the bathroom real quick.”

***
JC watched her walk out of the room, before he turned around.  Catching Katie’s look, he stopped with the cup almost to his mouth.  “What?”

“You know what!  I haven’t seen that look in your eyes for years!  You like her!”

“What!  I do not!”  JC couldn’t stop the blush as he tried to quiet his cousin.

“You do too!”  Katie jumped off the stool in excitement, sending it to the ground.

“Will you shut up!  I don’t know how I feel yet.  I just met her and she’s been through a trying experience.”  He set his coffee cup on the counter and bent to right her stool.  

Calming down slightly, Katie said. “She seems nice enough, not a lot of fancy clothes like you like to wear though.”  JC rolled his eyes at that.  “Aww...that’s why you keep putting the lid back on the pill bottle.  You know that she can’t open it herself and she has to come to you for help every time!  You’re trying to be her hero!”

“Why did I hire you again?  Your sister would do a much better job and stay out of my business.  I think I’ll give her a call.  She’s not working right now, right?”  

As JC reached for Katie’s cell phone, she slid it out of his reach. “You pay me to keep your business on track!  And you know she would annoy you 10 minutes after she came.”

JC just shot her a glare when they heard the bathroom door open.  Shortly, Laura reentered the kitchen.  JC opened the cap as he asked, “You don’t know of someone who would like a job as my assistant, would you, Laura?  I seem to be in need of one that can mind her own business!”

“Ahem...no can’t think of anyone right off hand.  Assistants are a tricky business though, they always try and think for themselves, you know.”  Laura stopped Katie’s protest with a wink as she finished her thought.  “But the majority of the time, they are a lot smarter than the people they are assisting.”

Katie and Laura exchanged a high five as JC looked on in amazement.  “I get no respect around here, even in my own home!”

Laura sank down on the stool vacated by JC, next to Katie.  “Just my experience, I’m sure that’s not the case here though.”  Laura smiled at JC before sharing a commiserating shake of her head with Katie.  

JC came around and stood behind Laura, forcing her to turn around and again accept the pill and bottle of water from him instead of placing it on the counter where she could get it herself.  Katie just watched with a raised brow turned toward JC in silence.  He couldn’t stop the blush spreading over his face from her look.  Laura looked between the two in curiosity.  

JC cleared his throat.  “So, did the dreams come back this time?”

“No, actually, I slept pretty well until somebody starting shooting on tv.  That got me up in a hurry.”

“Good, maybe the drugs are almost out of your system now.”

Laura nodded her head in agreement as she finished her water.  “I hope so, I really hope so!”

“What about the center, do you feel up to going back tomorrow?  I’ve talked to Adam a couple of times and he says to wait until you feel up to it, so I don’t want to pressure you or anything.”  

“Yeah, that sounds good.  I feel bad.  I made a commitment and then this happens.”  She looked down at her cast.  “But I can’t sit around for too long or I get crazy.”

JC opened his mouth to reply, but Katie jumped in instead.  “You know, JC is exactly like that.  Give him a day off and he can’t stand it, he has to be doing something.  You two are so similiar.”

JC and Laura smiled uncomfortably as Katie grinned very happy with herself.

Then they both spoke over each other while Katie simply looked on.

“I’m going to get dressed, I think.”

“Are you hungry, you want to go grab a bite to eat?”  JC asked.

They laughed together as Laura tried again.  “That sounds good, let me get dressed real quick.  I am kind of hungry.”

JC put his arm out to let Laura lead as they headed for the stairs talking about where to go to eat.  
Katie just bit her lip in excitement.  This is it for JC!  I just know it!!

***
They had slept through lunch so it was late enough in the day that they went out for supper.  It had it’s own moments of hilarity.  JC had taken Laura to a steakhouse close to where he lived and even though Laura had ordered a chicken dish, she found she couldn’t cut it with one hand.  

The waiter had placed JC’s steak and Laura’s chicken in front of them.  Immediately JC picked up his knife and fork and dove in.  Laura looked at hers, it looked delicious, but suddenly it struck her as being extremely funny.  

Her hand came up to cover her mouth as the laughter started and wouldn’t stop.  Her shoulders were shaking as JC continued with his thought, looking down at his own plate, not paying attention until she gasped in a breath.  

He looked up, his fork halfway to his mouth and noticed the mirth in her eyes.  Laura bent down so her forehead was resting on the table next to her plate, trying to get control of her laughter.  Her laughter was so infectious, JC started chuckling, not totally sure what she was laughing at.  

She lifted her head up to wipe the tears that were streaming from her eyes when she heard JC’s laughter.  Pointing to her plate, she barely got out, “I can’t even cut this.”  before the laughter started in again from both.  

A waiter came by to ask how the food was and JC just waved him away, still trying to gain control.  

“We are sooo going to get kicked out, but I can’t help it.  This just seemed too funny!”  Laura said still wiping her eyes.  They were starting to draw attention from the other tables, who merely smiled at the couple.

Laura took a deep breath as she reached for her glass of water, hoping the laughter had run its course.  But as she brought her glass to her lips, she looked over at JC.  And that was all it took.  Laughter reigned again!

Much later, finally gaining control of themselves and their laughter, JC slid over to her side of the booth, pressing close to her in the tight quarters.  He grabbed her knife and fork and started to cut the food on her plate.  Laura was against the back of the booth to give him more room, but couldn’t escape from the intoxicating smell that was JC.  He smelled of soap and deodorant, wonderfully masculine.  She studied his profile, the laugh lines at the corner of his eye, the strong jaw, the wavy hair.  

He finished cutting and leaned back, flashing her a quick grin.  Instead of moving back to his side, he reached over and grabbed his own plate and placed it in front of him.  

They finished their meal, trying not to laugh when Laura needed something else.  When the waiter brought the check, he placed it in front of JC.  Laura reached for it but JC snatched it quickly and took it out of her reach.  

“Let me have it!  It’s my treat.”  Laura said opening her purse.  “It’s the least I can do, you’ve opened your home to me and are now my chauffeur.”

“No way, it was my idea, my treat.  I’ve never let a woman pay and I’m not about to start now.  Besides the laughter was well worth the price of your meal!”  He opened his wallet and took out a credit card, placing it in the holder where immediately their waiter came over and took it from him.

She coughed trying to contain her laughter.  If she started again, she probably wouldn’t stop.  

“Thank you then, the meal was very delicious. It’s my treat next time.  When we come again, I’ll have two good hands though!”

JC shot her a look and a quick grin as he signed the credit card slip and slid out of the booth.  He reached out a hand to help her up, but didn’t release it as they left the restaurant.  

It just felt right.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: daddyjc marriedjc