Author's Chapter Notes:

I may be crazy for starting something else but this idea has been nagging me for a while so I figured I'd give it a shot. Special thanks to my muse for helping me get the ball rolling. 

I hope you all enjoy. Be sure to let me know what you think :) 


Chapter one.
Early August, 2002

Brynn Clarkson walked into the head offices of Jive, the same building that had housed her job for the last five years. Dressed in black dress pants and a dark pink blouse, the black heels she wore made her five foot seven inch frame look even taller. Her blond hair was pulled back away from her face into a sophisticated pony tail. Butterflies set loose in her stomach as she passed the front desk, moving through the halls until she made her way to the elevator that would take her up to her boss’s office. Today was suppose to be a big day for her. Hopefully a long awaited promotion was in store.

Knocking lightly on the door at the end of the hall, she heard a light voice call out to her before peeking her head inside.

“Good Morning, Brynn. Come on in.” Johnny Wright said from his desk.

“Morning, Johnny.” Brynn smiled, taking a seat in front of his desk. She tried not to fidget though her nerves were getting the best of her. She had been waiting for a promotion for a long time.

“So I know we discussed a promotion was in store for you. I know you’ve been with Jive for a while now and you’re ready to get your foot in the door and deal more hands on with the music.”

“Yes,” Brynn voiced, crossing her legs. “I know I have a lot of ideas to put to use. I’d like a real shot.”

“I have no doubt that you’d be able to carry your own but unfortunately we were put in a slight bind right now. Now it’s not exactly a shot at managing your own tour but we’re in need of a Personal Assistant for one of our artists for promotional appearances. Out of everyone else, I think you’d be the best for the job.”

Brynn felt her heart sink but swallowed her pride and strapped on a fake, professional smile.

“You want me to be a PA?”

“Yes. You’d be in charge of making sure he gets to appearances on time, booking travel arrangements. He has to shoot a music video soon, interviews, award shows. It’d be a lot on your plate but your organizational skills are always top notch.”

“He?” Brynn chanced to ask, while maintaining her composure.

“Justin Timberlake. I’m sure you know his first solo album is due out in a few months. Things are going to start getting chaotic up until the release. I trust that you’d make sure everything goes accordingly.” Johnny said, handing her a piece of paper.

“Two months?” She questioned, scanning over the itinerary. “I’d be traveling with him for two months?”

Johnny sat back in his chair, scanning through the small stack of papers on his desk.

“Two or three. I understand you are more than over qualified for this Brynn. It’s just that we really need,-”

“I’ll do it.” She interrupted, gathering herself together while holding her head high and trying to remain every bit of the professional she was.

Johnny smiled. “I knew I could count on you. Here is everything you’ll need. We’ll have a meeting next week to go over everything else you’ll need to know.”

“Thank you.” Brynn said, leaning forward to shake Johnny’s hand before she stood and walked towards the door.

“Brynn,” He said, causing her to turn around just before she reached the door. “I really appreciate this from you. I can’t say when but I promise you’ll get there.”

Being at lost for words, she simply smiled and quietly left his office, closing the door behind her. So many thoughts crossed her mind, mostly filled with anger and disappointment. Having worked so hard, putting over five years in at Jive with a Music Business degree, Brynn felt like she was just been served the ultimate blow. It wasn’t until she stepped into the elevator, after jabbing the down button repeatedly that she let her her emotions go.

“Such a freaking joke,” Brynn cursed under her breath. “Five years and I get stuck being a professional babysitter. Are you kidding me?”

Scrubbing her hand over her face, she tried to calm her emotions down as she watched the numbers above the door descend. She still had a job, although it was a slight step back. “I’ll get there. I know it.” She reminded herself repeatedly as the doors opened. Walking aimlessly out of the elevator, she turned the corner and began to walk down the hall until she felt her body smack into something hard.

“Shit, I’m so sorry.” She heard from a male voice as she gained her composure, looking back into sky blue eyes.

“No I’m sorry,” Brynn pleaded. “I wasn’t paying attention.” Her eyes moved over the man standing in front of her. His thin frame stood slightly taller than her, dressed in a pair of dark jeans and a green t-shirt and something familiar struck her.  “Justin.” She said, looking unamused.

He laughed slightly, scratching the back of his head nervously.  “And you are?”

Regaining her professional stance, Brynn held her hand out to him. “Brynn Clarkson.”

Justin’s brows knitted together in thought as he accepted her hand, clasping it with hers lightly. “I’ve heard that name before. I know Johnny’s mentioned you a few times.”

She looked at him slightly surprised but quickly shook it off. She was a professional and now she was stuck being his assistant, making sure he did what he was suppose to and suddenly her anger returned. She refused to show him any praise.

“I take my career very seriously.” Brynn voiced, her tone void of any warmth. “But if you’ll excuse me, I have to be going.”

And with that, Justin could only watch confused as she stepped past him and began down the hallway before he could get another word out. Brynn tried to clear her head, sucking up what little of her pride she had left. Maybe it was a bad first impression to make but all she could think about was the disappointment that had come out of her day. She was so much better than someones assistant. She was creative and artistic and music was where her head was. Visually and many ways otherwise. If it hadn’t been for some kid in a boy band needing a babysitter, maybe she would have actually been given a crack at a real job. Maybe.

When she finally reached her car, Brynn got inside and put her keys in the ignition, reaching for the volume control and turning the radio up. She needed to drown out her thoughts and forget about the reality of things. This wasn’t the end of her career. Maybe it was only the beginning.

Feeling the tension slowly escape her body as the music flooded her ears, she put the car in drive and tried to suck up her pride. “It’s going to be a long two months,” She said out loud. “A long two months.”
Chapter End Notes:
*holds breath* Thoughts?


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: assistant