Ava slipped out of the driver’s seat of her Jeep and shut the door behind her. It was getting closer and closer to Christmas which meant it was slowly starting to slowly cool down in LA. It was cooler in the evenings than in any other time of day.

She reached the door of her apartment building and walked inside. She stopped by her mailbox and checked their mail knowing that Kaci didn’t. Then she made her way to the elevators, and just as she pressed the up button her phone rang. She dished it out as best she could with her one free hand, and flipped it open. “Hello?”

“Hello darling! How are you?” said her mother’s voice.

That was so not the voice she wanted to hear. For the past few weeks she and her mother were not getting along. It was always around Christmas time where she tried her best to meddle in her or her brother’s lives. And each year they blew it off knowing that it kept her mind off their father. But this year she was chewing on her last nerve.

“Hey mom.” Ava said as he stepped onto the elevator, and pressed the number four button to take her up to her apartment.

“Are you just getting off work?”

“Yes. I’m just about to be at my apartment. How are you?”

“I’m fine honey just fine. I talked to your brother’s today.”

“Did you?” Ava said as she pushed her key into her apartment lock.

“Yes I did. You should give your brother a call. Cooper sounds really down.”

Ava pushed her door open and closed it behind her as she laid all her stuff on the dining room table, “I’m sure the last person he wants to talk to is me, mom.”

“Now what makes you say that? Your brother loves you very much. It would probably mean a lot that you gave him a call to see how he was doing.”

“Mom if I call him after you called he’s going to know that you put me up to it. And how is that going to look when his sister calls only because her mother told her too?”

“Ava you call your brother.” said Beth, her mother, in a stern voice.

Ava sighed and gave in as she took a spot on the stool in the kitchen, “Alright mom.”

“So tell me about what’s been going on with you. I haven’t heard from you in a few days. Could a boyfriend be the cause of that?”

Ava rolled her eyes, “No mom no boyfriend. Work is what’s been going on with me. It’s been really busy here lately. Babies have been popping out like crazy and little kids have been getting really sick. You know the usual.”

“Honey you shouldn’t let work rule your life.”

“It doesn’t mom.”

“When’s the last time you went out on a date?”

“A month ago. And it was a blind date it was nothing special.”

“Honey, you’re going to be thirty by the time you have your first child at the rate your going. And when’s the last time you actually…you know.”

“MOM! I don’t want to talk about it!” Ava said as she threw her free hand up in the air, “Every time we get on the phone with each other it’s the same thing. Why can’t you call and bug Coop and Ryan about their love lives. They’re single to you know.”

“They’ve also already been married and have children.”

“Mom I am not talking to you about my sex life!”

Her mom was busy laughing when she heard the sound that let her know she had another call.

“Mom I have someone on the other line. I have to go ok?”

“Ava Nicole don’t you dare…”

Ava switched over to the other line, “Hello?”

“Hey sis.”

Ava eyes bugged at the sound of her brother’s voice, “Hey Coop. I was just talking about you.”

“Really? To who?”

“Mom.” Ava said with a bit of annoyance coming from her voice.

Cooper laughed, “She called you too huh?”

Ava stood and made her way into the living room to sit on the couch, “Yeah she did.” Ava said as she sprawled out on her couch and placed her head back on the arm rest.

“So how’s my favorite sister doing?”

“Working like crazy but I’ve been doing really good.”

“You know I called you the other day.”

“Did you now? Did you call on my cell or my apartment?” Ava asked. She didn’t remember getting a missed call or message from Kaci.

“I called the apartment and talked to Kaci. She said you were out with Justin. Who’s Justin?”

Ava rolled her eyes, “A friend.”

“That’s all you’re going to give me?”

“Well that’s what he is. A friend. What more would you want me to give?”

“You’ve never been just friends with a guy Ava.”

“I have too.” She said defensively, “And I don’t want to talk about this.”

“Kaci told me who he was.”

“Did she? She sure does talk a lot where you are concerned.”

Cooper laughed, “She was just answering my questions.”

“So you’re friends with Justin Timberlake.” Cooper said when Ava didn’t reply.

Ava sighed. It was probably a sigh that gave away too much to someone who knew her so well, but at this point she didn’t care. He probably knew more than what she wanted him too thanks to Kaci, “Yeah.”

“Sounds like you want there to be a little more.”

“I don’t know. Really, I don’t. He’s a really good friend, and it’s nice having more than just Kaci to talk too ya know?”

“Yeah, I do.”

“But then there’s these new…I don’t even know if you’d consider them feelings. They just came out of the blue one day. And now he’s all I can think about. I’m anticipating his calls, which he hasn’t done today by the way. And he keeps doing all these things, saying all these things, and he’s turning into, I don’t know, a guy that I can actually see myself with.”

“So you like him?”

Ava sighed again, “Yeah. Yeah I actually do.”

“What’s wrong with that?”

“Everything.” Ava said throwing her hand up in the air. She brought it back down to rest on her forehead and continued, “He’s a widower who is still very much grieving the loss of his wife. And he’s just…I don’t know. I don’t think he’s ready for anything. So, I’m just sitting idly by trying to sort through these things. Have a mentioned that he’s a really good friend?”

Cooper laughed, “Yeah you did.”

“Well, he is. And that’s what started this in the first place. He needed a friend, and honestly I needed someone other than Kaci to hang with and talk too. And we’re just now getting to the point were a friendship is starting to form something solid and I don’t want mess everything up.”

“I know. This is some uncharted territory for you. But you seem like you like him a lot. My advice to you is to just keep the feelings at bay. Like you said he’s still grieving, and you need to be prepared to accept that he may never stop grieving her.”

“I know. Ugh, enough about me. It’s giving me a headache. It’s all I’ve thought about today.”

Cooper laughed, “I miss you kid.”

“I miss you too. When are you gonna come see me? I haven’t seen you or the rug rats in a long time.”

“I don’t know. Like you work’s been crazy and it’s hard trying to get my schedule and the ex’s to work right as far as getting the kids.”

Ava mentally scratched the eyes out of her ex sister-in-law’s head. She literally hated the ground she walked on. “Mom mentioned something about you being down lately. Would Tiff happen to be the reason behind that?”

Now it was Cooper’s turn to sigh, “I’m not going to be able to get the kid’s on Christmas.”

“What? Why not?” Ava asked anger dripping from her words.

Her and her sister-in-law never got a long to begin with. Ava was always good at smelling a rat, and that’s exactly what Tiffany was. Her brother and Tiffany had been together for over five years and if you had asked Cooper he would tell you that everything was fine. But he was a Marine and with the war he’d been doing frequent tours. Tiffany saw it as her time to play and actually thought she would never get caught until Cooper came home unexpected due to an injury and got caught. It was supposed to be meant as a surprise since he was going to be home for a few months until his injured foot healed, but Cooper was the one who got the surprise. Tiffany knew when she married him how much being a solider meant to him, but apparently love wasn’t good enough.

“She just got engaged. And apparently he wants to take her and the kids away for Christmas.”

“Cooper you have a right to see your kids especially during Christmas. She got them last Christmas it’s your turn.”

“Ava I don’t want to get things stirred up between us. It’s civil between us again, and it’s better for the kids this way.”

“Why do you let her do this too you?”

“Do what?”

“Walk all over you. All she has to do is bat her eyes and you bow to her every wish and whim.”

“I do not.” Cooper said getting a little defensive.

“Cooper yes you do. If it were me I wouldn’t let her take my kids off with her new flavor of the month fiancée or not during Christmas.”

“She want’s the kids to get to know him.”

“And before you know it she’ll want to take the kids out of state or something and you’re gonna let her do it. She’ll tell you that it’ll be better for the kids or some shit when it’s not. You’re their father Coop not….whatever his name is.”

“She’s letting me have a week with them in return. So mom said something about moving Christmas up a week or whatever.”

“Coop, I hate this for you. I really do.”

“I know.”

“Things will get better. She’ll get what she deserves. Hopefully an STD.”

Cooper laughed, “That’s mean Ava.”

“Well, it’s what inevitably happens to trifling tramps like her.”

“You’re something else little sister. But I have a favor to ask of you.”

“What’s that?”

“Tiffany is living in LA now. I was wondering if you could possibly meet up with her and bring the kids with you when you come down here. It would save me a trip up there, and you’d get to spend some time with the kids yourself.”

The thought of meeting up with her sister-in-law was enough to make her refuse, but for her brother she would walk through fire, “I can do that.”

“And you’ll be civil?”

“That I can’t promise. I can’t keep a leash on this mouth and you know that.”

“Well that’s good enough I guess. When I know more I’ll call you.”

“Sounds good to me.”

“Thanks Ava. This really means a lot to me.”

“Anytime big brother. How’s the other one doing?”

“Ryan is currently out slutting it up with his new girlfriend.”

“Girlfriend?”

“Yeah, I’m betting it’s not going to last long. I think he’s just looking to get laid.”

Ava laughed, “He’s always looking to get laid. Well, bro, I gotta get off here. I’ve taken all I can of this hospital stink and I need to go wash it off.”

“Alright. I’ll call you in the next couple of days with more details.”

“Sounds like a plan.”

“Thanks Ava.”

“Coop, it’s not a problem. Believe me you’ve done bigger things for me it’s the least I can do.”

“I love you kid.”

“I love you too.” Ava said. She said her goodbyes to her brother, and got up to go take a shower that seemed like heaven on earth.

Once she returned from the shower Kaci had returned home, “Hey babe.” Kaci said looking up at her from where she was looking through the mail. “I guess nothing good like a check came in today did it?” She said laying the envelopes back on the kitchen counter.

Ava opened the fridge and grabbed a bottle of water, “We could only be so lucky.” She said as she twisted the cap off and took a long drink.

“How was your day?” Kaci asked as she motioned for Ava to follow her into the living room.

“Great until I got on the elevator to go up to the apartment.”

“What happened?”

“I answered my phone.”

“Your mom again?”

“You guessed right. She was bugging me about how I work too much, how I don’t have a sex life or a love life, and…I was so happy Cooper called so I could cut it short.”

Kaci laughed, “Your brother called a few days ago. I meant to tell you but I left before you got home and I completely forgot.”
“It’s fine. He did tell me that you told him about Justin.”

“Oops.” Kaci said sheepishly.

“I’m not worried about it. He would have found out about it eventually. Oh! Guess what he told me though.”

“What?”

“Ex sister-in-law lives here in LA.”

“No way.”

“Yep. She’s not letting him have the kids on Christmas like he was originally supposed too. Her fiancée or whatever he is, wants to take them on some trip over Christmas. And my brother is actually letting her do it.”

“He’s not going to see the kids on Christmas?”

“She’s letting him get them a week early. Which means we have too move Christmas up which is no problem but I would just like to give that slut a piece of my mind.” Ava said as she took another drink of her water.

“On a lighter note I got some good news for you.” Kaci said.

“What’s that?”

Kaci turned crossed legged facing Ava, “So, I met this guy…”

Ava interrupted her, “I don’t even like where this is going. I don’t want to go on another blind date.”

“Come on you didn’t even let me finish.”

“You can finish but I’m still not going.”

“Ava come on. He’s a really nice guy. He’s so not like all the other’s I set you up with.”

“What’s the difference?”

“He’s 28, a lawyer, extremely hot, and did I mention that he’s a lawyer?”

“Yeah you did.”

“Did I mention that he just made partner in his father’s firm?”

“No you didn’t. But that still doesn’t do it for me.”

“Ava, please! Can you at least give him a chance?”

“No.”

“Why not?”

“Because Kaci every time before this you’ve always told me the same thing. Why should this time be any different?”

“Because…it really is different this time.”

“No Kaci and that’s it.”

“Ok make a deal with me. If this time isn’t what you’re looking for then I promise no matter how hot, rich, or sweet I’ll not refer you to them.”

“Do you promise?”

Kaci placed her hand over heart, “Promise.”

“Alright. I’ll do it.” Ava said as Kaci lunged her self at Ava wrapping her arms around her neck.

“I promise Ave!”

“I’m holding you to it this time.” Ava said as she pulled away from Kaci.

For some reason she felt that this time was going to be no different than before.



“Daddy?” Olivia said from her spot in Justin’s lap.

“Yeah?” Justin said diverting his attention from Finding Nemo to his daughter.

She lifted his hand with her smaller one and began to play with his fingers, “Me miss Ava.”

Justin smiled. His daughter had become super attached to his new found friend, and in a way he couldn’t blame because he had too. For the past four plus months that he had known her he really felt like he had known her all his life. “You like Ava don’t you?”

“Yes. She really nice. I yike her awot.”

Justin smiled, “I do too.” He said as he watched her play with the wedding band that was still on his finger.

“I yike Kaci too. Her paint my nails.” Olivia said

Justin laughed. Olivia really loved her pink nails. It was this past week that made him realize that there were things that Olivia actually needed a woman around for that he couldn’t do.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story