Author's Chapter Notes:
Well it seems that most you guys' suspicions are now confirmed! LOL. I hope you enjoy. I tried to make Justin as likeable yet unlikeable as possible...if that made any sense you guys LOL!
Ava looked herself over in the mirror. She smoothed out the dress around her waist and placed her hands at her sides again. She still couldn’t even believe she was doing this. She hadn’t even talked to this “wonderful” guy that Kaci set her up with.

“You look gorgeous.” Kaci said as Ava saw her through the mirror enter into her room.

Ava was wearing a favorite little black dress of her own that never ceased to make her feel at least a little bit sexy. Ava smiled a nervous smile at her friend, “Thanks.”

“I know you’re mad at me. And I promised you that if this one was a disaster that there would be no more blind dates, and I’ll but out. But He just called. He said he’d be here in five. So if you’re not finished you should probably be finishing up now.” Kaci snuck in between her and the mirror and grabbed her by the face with both hands, “Don’t be so nervous. He’s really a nice guy. You have nothing to worry about.”

Ava placed her hands on Kaci’s and pulled them away from her face, “I’m not nervous. I’m just anxious to get this over with.” Ava said as she walked over to her dresser and grabbed her handbag. It was a much smaller one than the bag that she carried everyday. Being a nurse you never know what you’re going to need so therefore she carried her whole life in her purse. But going on a blind date you only needed a little bit. Cell phone, money incase he was a cheap scum bag or things just went down the drain and you needed a cab, lip gloss incase it all went good, and gum/breath mints in case you had a little something to eat that made your breath smell…gross.

“I understand, but I have a good feeling about this one. I think you’re really going to like him. And you’re mom will be satisfied when she calls and you have a date to talk about.”

“Satisfying my mom by going on a date is the furthest thing from my mind. And that’s what you said about the other fifty guys you set me up with.” She said as she walked out of her bedroom and into the living room.

“I know you’re not excited about this. But could you at least act the littlest bit enthused for his sake?”

Before Ava had a chance to respond there was a knock on their door, “Please be civil.” Kaci said as she walked to the door and opened it, “Hey Jason! It’s good to see you again come on in.”

“Thanks.” Jason said as he stepped around Kaci and came into Ava’s line of vision, “You must be Ava.” Jason said walking toward Ava with his hand outstretched. “I’m Jason Walker. Kaci’s told me a lot about you.”

Ava took his hand and smiled back at him, “Ava McKinley. She’s told me a lot about you as well.” Ava said as she looked in her friend’s direction and back at Jason.

Last night she wasn’t mad at Kaci at all. But while she was trying to fall asleep she had a lot of time let the wound fester and she came to the conclusion that she was tired of people involving themselves in her love life. She was perfectly capable of finding a man on her own.

She had found Justin didn’t she?

Sensing the uncomfortable silence Kaci decided to break it, “So Jason what are your plans for the night?”

“Well I was thinking we’d catch a movie and go to dinner. I have reservations at a nice French restaurant on the outskirts of LA.”

“That sounds wonderful. Ava you like French don’t you?”

“Yes I do.” Ava said looking at Jason with a smile. That was the furthest thing from the truth. The closest she had ever gotten to French delicacy was French Fries. And she knew that didn’t count. But it was a good thing she was open to new things or this date would be headed for disaster like all the others.

“Should we get going?” Ava asked looking at her watch.

“Actually yes we should. Our reservations at the restaurant are at eight o’clock.” He said extending his arm for Ava to take.

Well that was one quality she could say she liked about him. He was a gentleman. And he wasn’t bad looking at all. He had that ruggedly handsome quality about him. And his voice…wow. She really liked his voice. Hopefully when it got to the ‘So tell me about yourself’ conversation they were destined to have over dinner her opinion of him wouldn’t change.

They began to walk the short distance to the door, and as Jason opened the door to let her through Ava looked back at Kaci and placed her hand on the door knob, “I’ll see you later. I have my cell.”

As Ava was closing the door she called back, “Don’t wait up.”

Kaci smiled and rolled her eyes at Ava’s attitude. She knew her hostility would no longer exist once she returned from her date.

Feeling confident in her success of hooking Ava up with the right person she settled into the couch for a night of Friends.

______________________________________


“Uncle Trace Barbie no be nakie!” Olivia protested as she put her Barbie doll down and went around the other side of the table to help her Uncle.

“What? She looks fine like this.” Trace said purposely trying to get a rise out of the little girl.

“No Uncle Trace! Her going on a date wif Ken. Her can’t be nakie that no nice!”

“Oh. Really?”

“Yes.”

“Well you’ve got to help me dress her then. I don’t know what to dress her in.”

Olivia shook her head at her Uncle and grabbed a pink dress to dress the doll in, “Put dis on her.” She said handing him the dress.

“Pink?”

“Her a girl Uncle Trace.”

“Oh right, right.” He said taking the dress from her, “How do I do this?”

Olivia placed a hand on her hip and looked at her Uncle, “Have you no played Barbie’s fore?”

“No.”

“Me show you how.” Olivia said grabbing Trace’s doll and the dress. She began to put the dress on the Barbie and once she had it on she handed it back to Trace.

“That’s how you do it.” Trace said sounding astonished, “Ok. Thank you for showing me I would have never figured it out.”

Justin stepped down off the last step of his stair case and walked into the living room to see his best friend playing Barbie dolls with his daughter. If he was half the mean person that some people claimed he was he would grab a camera and film this for blackmail. “What are you guys doing?”

“Playing Barbie’s.” Trace said not looking up at Justin. He was combing the dolls hair with the little brush that Olivia had given him.

Justin laughed, “I see. Listen I was going to go hang out with A-V-A for a little while. Do you mind keeping Olivia for me?”

“No I don’t mind. Tell Av…her I said hi.” Trace catching on to why Justin spelled out Ava’s name. If Olivia knew where he was going she would want to go too, and Justin needed some time out of the house by himself for a while.

“Thanks man. Olivia come give Daddy a hug goodbye.” Justin said as he bent down to Olivia’s level.

Olivia walked over to her father and gave him a big hug and kissed him on the chin, “Where you go Daddy?”

“I’m just going to go out for a little while. I probably won’t be back until you’re asleep. So, I think I need one more hug.”

“Daddy, I playing Barbie’s wif Uncle Trace, this is the last one tay?”

Justin held back a laugh, “Yes mamn.” He said as Olivia gave him his last hug. He placed a kiss on her head and let her go back to her Barbie’s.

He stood back up and started to walk toward the door but stopped to talk to Trace, “I’ll have my cell on me. I shouldn’t be too late. But if you need to you can crash here tonight.” Justin said.

“I was planning on it anyway. Don’t worry about being late me and Olivia will hold down the fort. Right kid?”

“Yep!” She said giving a toothy grin.

Justin laughed, “Bye guys.” He said as he continued to the door.

_____________________________________________


It wasn’t that long a drive from his house to Ava and Kaci’s apartment so he got there in ten minutes. When he reached the door and saw that Kaci answering it he realized that maybe he should have called first.

“Hey Kace. Is Ava home?”

“Hey Justin come on in. I could use some company.”

Justin entered the apartment and looked around for any sign of Ava. Her car was parked out in the lot so he didn’t know where she could have gone.

“Where’s Ava?” He asked as he followed Kaci into the living room.

Kaci sat down on the couch and answered his question, “She went out on a date.”

“A date?” Justin asked confused. Ava went out on a date? She hadn’t even told him she was seeing anyone.

“Yeah. She left about an hour ago.”

“A date?”

Kaci laughed, “Yeah. Why? Is it that hard to believe?”

Justin shook his head, “No it’s not. But she hadn’t even mentioned that she was seeing anyone.”

“She’s not.”

“Then how is she out on a date?”

“I set her up on a blind date.” Kaci said.

Justin felt, well, almost relieved that it was one of her blind dates. Ava had told him before about all the disastrous dates Kaci had set her up on, and if this one was like all the others then he didn’t have anything to worry about.

“You did? What’s this one like?”

Kaci smiled, “I think he’s perfect for her. He’s a complete gentleman and Lord is that man fine. If I weren’t so caught up in school and work right now I would so take him for myself.”

That was so not what he expecting to hear.

Perfect for her?

He thought that now was as good a time as ever to finally let out that he had been fighting off having feelings for her.

And… he was jealous.

How could he not like her?

She was beautiful, awesome with kids, beautiful, his daughter loved her very much and he was sure the feeling was very much mutual, and did he mention she was beautiful?

Because she really was. He didn’t see why some other guy hadn’t already staked his claim on her. She had beautiful shoulder length brown hair, honey brown eyes; she had a bit of a pale complexion but it was nothing a little LA sun wouldn’t fix. And he had to admit that he was attracted to her from the start. He just didn’t know how to deal with it. It was all so new to him. She was the first woman to be a fixture in his life since Melanie passed away besides his mother and Olivia.

“Perfect for her?”

“Yeah. I really think he is. He’s handsome, smart, funny, got a good head on his shoulders, and he’s got a lot of qualities in a man she’s been looking for.”

“How do you know him?”

“He’s in my Psych class. I sit by him. What’s with the third degree?” Kaci asked.

Not wanting to give himself away, “I was just curious. I hadn’t heard anything about this, and I took for granted that she would be home. She’s usually home on Thursday nights. She’s kind of got this routine, and I guess I just got used to it.”

“Routine?”

“Yeah. Routine. Have you not noticed that?”

Kaci laughed, “I guess not.”

“She hardly anywhere but here in this spot,” Justin said pointing to the couch, “on Thursday nights. Tuesday, her other day off, is her day for doing things around here and running errands.”

“I guess you’re right. I guess it’s become so routine for me that I never noticed it being routine. If that made any sense.” Kaci said smiling at Justin.

“Oddly enough it did.”

Kaci pulled her legs up on the couch and curled herself into a ball in her own corner, “So what’s your take on Friends?”

“Probably the best sitcom in the history of sitcoms.”

“Just the answer I was looking for.” She said as she pressed play on the remote.

Justin tried to get himself engrossed in Friends and take his mind of Ava not being here, but he couldn’t. The longer time passed by the more worried he got. His luck things could be going good. And as sorry as it sounds…he didn’t want things to go good.


___________________________________________


“Thanks for dinner.” Ava said smiling at him. She was willing to let what happened during the movie slide for a civil goodbye. Had it not been for Matt Damon gracing the screen in front of her she would have demanded he take her home.

“No problem. We should do it again sometime.”

Ava rolled her eyes, “I don’t think so.”

“Why not?”

“I just don’t think I see us going any further. You’re a nice guy and all. I just, I don’t really want a relationship right now.”

“I see.”

Needless to say all that was true, but she also didn’t want to be with someone who wouldn’t leave her alone during the whole movie. She wouldn’t have minded much, but he just kept on and on.

Sometimes that’s real annoying for a girl.

Especially if Matt Damon is way hotter than the guy trying to cop a feel of your boob.

After a few more minutes of the uncomfortable silence Ava placed her hand on the handle and opened the car door. So much for him opening the door for her. But she guessed that what she deserved for cutting him off during his advances on her during the movie. “I’ll see you around.” Ava said as she made her way out of the car and looked back at him before she closed the door.

“Yeah. Sure.”

Ava shut the door and was honestly happy too see the awaiting door of her apartment building. She opened her hand bag and fished out her keys. Once she had the keys in her hand she made her way to the door to the sound of a pissed Jason speeding away. She laughed and shook her head. She greeted the night security guard as she made her way to the elevators. She pressed the up button and looked at her watch. She realized it was Midnight and shook her head.

A five hour date from hell.

Kaci owed her a manicure and pedicure…and Kaci was gonna pay for it. Before she knew it she was putting the key to her apartment in the lock and entering her apartment.

She quietly closed the door behind her and slipped out of her heels. She heard the TV going in the living room and saw the light from a lamp shining as well. She walked in to find Justin asleep on her couch.

She lightly tapped Justin on the foot, “Justin.”

“Mmm.”

She laughed and did the same again, “Justin.”

He finally opened his eyes and saw Ava standing over him. He looked like he was trying to figure out his whereabouts, and when he finally realized where he was and who it was standing over him he asked, “What time is it?” He asked sitting up.

“Midnight. Where’s Kaci?” She asked sitting down on the other end of the couch.

“She had a study date. She told me I could stay to wait on you if I wanted. Glad to see you finally decided to come home.” He said with a little anger coming out in his tone. He noticed her dress that she had on and it was a nice change from seeing her in scrubs and jeans and t-shirts. She looked amazing but the Jealous Justin blinded the Rational, Charming Justin. The fact that another guy got to see her in that dress other than him just made him even more jealous.

Ava overlooked it and continued her conversation, “What are you doing here? I didn’t know you were coming over.” She said pulling her legs up onto the couch under her.

“Well, I came over to hang out with you. But Kaci told me you were out on a date.” He said with a bit of bitterness in his voice. He was slowly shocking himself at how quick the bitterness was coming out.

He couldn’t believe that he actually felt this way, but he did.

It scared him.

To think that he could be losing his second chance to some, jerk, just made him more bitter.

And that more than anything scared him even more.

“Yeah. I was.” She said.

“Well judging by the time you’re getting home it went REALLY well.” He said as ran a hand over his face.

Ava was a little taken aback by his bitterness, but chalked it up to him just waking up. “Well, it went better than the other ones. But I wouldn’t consider it the best time I ever…”

“I’m sure it did. Since this is your soul mate and all.” Justin said cutting her off. Inside his brain was kicking the hell out of his tongue. For some reason it was speaking before his brain told it not too. But everything just kept coming out. “I’ve been here for five hours waiting on you. While you were out doing, god I don’t even want to think about what you were doing, with someone you barely even know.”

Ava knew now that he was very much awake, and he knew exactly what he was saying. And as each word fell from his lips the more mad and hurt she got.

Now she could add Timberlake’s mouth to the list of things that made this night hell.

“Well for one I’m sorry you sat here for five hours but I didn’t invite you over and it’s not like Kaci twisted your arm to stay. And I have you know that I had a horrible time with that guy.” She said not letting him know that one of the whole reasons she had a horrible time on the date- other than the fact that Jason kept trying to cop a feel- was that she thought about him the whole time. And about how she’d much rather be out with him.

Justin opened his mouth to respond but Ava cut him off, “No I think you’ve done enough talking for right now. Because you’ve done nothing but piss me off. How dare you insinuate that I even did anything with that guy. I would never, EVER do anything like that with someone I barely know.” She said as a few tears fell down her face.

As if the date wasn’t bad enough this conversation with Justin just made it worse.

Ava stood up, “I want you to leave.”

“What?”

“You heard me.”

“Why so you can call whatever his name was back over?”

“I can’t believe you’re actually saying these things Justin. You don’t even know the half of what went on that date.”

Justin laughed sarcastically, “Oh but I’m sure I could come up with some possibilities.”

“I thought you knew me better than that.” Ava said as she wiped some tears off her cheek.

“I guess I don’t.” Justin knew that wasn’t true. He knew her and he knew that she wouldn’t do the things that he was insinuating, but that was just the jealousy in him speaking. The jealousy blinded the rational side of Justin and having five hours to ponder on it, well, that just made it worse.

“Leave.”

When he didn’t make a movement she more forcefully repeated herself, “Leave!” she yelled.

“Fine.” He said as he stood up and walked to the door. Ava watched him stalk to the door, and cringed when she heard it slam. She threw herself face down onto the couch and began to cry even more.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story