Author's Chapter Notes:
Been a long time hasn't it. Well hopefully you guys enjoy it. I'm sorry it took so long!
Chapter 15


“So how’d it go?” Kaci asked looking up from her magazine.

“Well, I guess you could say it went pretty good.”

“Good as in you guys made up and are still friends or good as in you had hot steamy sex?”

Ava laughed and fell into the couch beside her friend, “Good as in we made up and are still friends, but…”

“I could hear a but coming.” Kaci said as she put her magazine down on the table and turned to face her friend.

Ava laughed and closed her eyes, “You’re not going to believe this.” She said as she threw her head back against the cushions of her couch.

“What? What happened?”

“He kissed me. I mean really kissed me.” She said with a huge smile on her face.

“You whore!” Kaci said laughing, “I thought you were going over there to give him a piece of your mind. But no you end up making out with the guy. Was it good?”

“Yes it was.” She said laughing with her, “I did give him a piece of my mind though. But he apologized and confirmed your suspicions of jealousy. And I don’t know it all seemed like it happened so fast.”

“So what’s going on with you guys now?”

“I don’t know. He said he’d like to start a relationship with me, and we’re going to take things slow. Which I think is a good thing. He’s got a little girl to think about and other obvious things.”

Kaci smiled and took Ava’s hand in hers, “I’m so happy for you. I really think you’re going to be good for him. After everything that’s happened in his life I think he finally deserves something good.”

“I met his mom.”

“His mom is here?”

“Yeah, she sort of walked in on me and Justin kissing.” Ava said as she bit her bottom lip in embarrassment.

Kaci threw her head back in laughter, “What a way to make a first impression!”

“I know. But she took it with ease. It was almost as if she had been through it before.”

“I imagine she caught a lot of girls in awkward positions with her son.” Kaci said smiling at her friend’s happiness.

“I’m sure she has.” Ava said as she pulled herself off the couch and started toward the kitchen. She looked in the direction of their dining room table and saw a fresh pail of envelopes. Clearly the mail had come while she was out.
Opening the refrigerator she asked, “Anything good come in the mail today?”

Kaci soon followed her into the kitchen and took a seat at the counter. Ava grabbed a bottle of water and closed the fridge behind her.

“I got my grades in.” Kaci said.

Ava smiled at her, “So how’d it go?”

Kaci looked solemn for a moment and the broke into a smile, “I passed!”

Ava squealed in excitement and gathered her friend into a hug, “Kaci! I’m so happy for you.”

“I know me too. I just knew that I failed my psych class. That test was super hard. But I aced it!”

“Kaci that’s awesome. I knew you could do it.” Ava’s head turned in the direction of her ringing cell phone and walked over to the foyer table. She groaned when she saw the caller id.
She walked back into the kitchen with her phone in hand, “What a way to kill the awesome mood.” She said and flipped it open, “Hello?”

“Hello sweetie. How are you?”

She rolled her eyes at Kaci, who smiled sympathetically, “I’m doing great mom. What about you?”

“Oh you can stop with the fake concern, Ava. I’m not calling to grill you about your love life.” Ava’s mom, Beth, said into the phone.
Beth wasn’t dense she knew how much her daughter hated her constant nagging of her current relationship status. She had been in Ava’s position herself once before, but she just couldn’t help it.

Ava laughed at her mom, “Well, I can’t imagine any other reason you’d be calling.”

“I was actually calling to let you know about Christmas. I’m sure you’ve talked to your brother by now?”

“Yes, I have actually. He filled me in.”

“Good. So I was going to tell you that we’re planning to have our Christmas this weekend.”

“Are you serious?”

“Yes, I am.”

“Mom, that’s way too soon.”

“Honey, have you looked at a calendar lately?”

“Yes.”

“Then you must realize that Christmas is next week.”

Ava sighed, “Damn.”

“Judging by your reaction I’m guessing you have nothing ready?”

“You would be right.”

“Well, I suggest you get on the ball. You’re going to need to pick up the kids on Thursday.”

Ava groaned at how much she had to get done in a little time span. Today was Monday, which left her three shopping days plus what she had left of today to get everyone bought for. Her brothers weren’t the easiest people to buy for so she was definitely leaving them last.
“Ok.”

“So, are you going to be bringing anyone with you this time?”

Ava smiled but rolled her eyes at the question, “I don’t know maybe.”

“Well, I guess there is hope for you yet. Are you going to tell me about it?”

“If you haven’t realized I have a lot of shopping to do so I better get to it.” Ava said as her mother laughed.

“I can take a hint. You’ll tell me when you’re ready right?”

“Of course, I will. I’ll talk to you later, mom.”

“Good bye honey. I love you.”

“Love you too.” Ava said as she flipped her phone closed. She turned and looked at Kaci, “Are you up for a shopping spree?”

“Have you ever known me to turn that down?” Kaci asked as she slid off her stool and found her shoes. “I’m guessing you have Christmas shopping to tackle before this weekend?”

“You caught that huh?” Ava asked as she gathered up her keys and her purse and shoved her phone in the back pocket of her jeans.

“Yes. I’m glad it’s you and not me.” Kaci said as she followed her friend out their door.








“Daddy you cheated!” Olivia exclaimed.

“I did not!”

“Yes you did! Me saw you peeking.” Olivia said as her hands found their place on her hips. For the past hour he, Olivia, and his mother had been engaged in a game of hide and seek.
So he might have taken a little peek a while ago, but he didn’t think it had been that obvious.

“Ok, ok. I’m sorry, you caught me.”

“It ok Daddy. Me forgive you.”

“Well, I’m glad munchkin. Now we just got to find Nana.”

Olivia’s eyes lit up as Lynn turned the corner to steal base, “There her is Daddy!” Olivia squealed.

Justin turned to go after his mom but Lynn had touched base just as Justin had reached her.

“Yay, Nana wins!” Olivia squealed clapping her hands excitedly, “We play again?” She asked

Lynn smiled, “I think Nana and Daddy need a break. Why don’t we go play Barbie’s or something?” She asked as she motioned for her granddaughter to follow her into the living room.

“Can we have a tea party?” Justin heard his daughter ask from inside his living room. He smiled as he began to walk up the stairs to his room.

He threw himself onto his bed and reached over to grab his cell phone. He stared at it for a few minutes debating on whether or not to call her.
He still couldn’t get his brain to wrap around what had happened earlier that day. He still didn’t know what he expected getting back into the dating world but he knew somehow it wouldn’t seem so bad with her. It was scary putting himself out there again. But he knew that she understood that slow was the only speed he could handle right now. She knew everything that would probably make another woman run in the other direction, yet she embraced it.

Throwing caution to the wind he dialed the now familiar number and waited until he heard her on the other end, “Hello?” he heard her say.

“Hey you.” He said as she fell back into one of his pillows.

He heard her sigh and if he wasn’t mistaken he could detect a smile in her response, “Hey yourself. You’re just the break I needed.”

Justin scrunched his face in confusion, “Where are you at?”

She sighed and answered, “Shopping.”

“You sound like you don’t want to be doing it.”

“You’re correct. Well this kind of shopping anyway.”

Justin laughed and realized what kind of shopping she was talking about. Christmas. He loved shopping for Christmas and he was actually almost through with everyone on his list.

“You must be a last minute person.” He said

“Sort of. And I kind of have to have all my shopping done and wrapped by Thursday or my mother will have my head.” She said.

“Why Thursday?” He asked.

“That’s when I leave to go up to my mom’s house for Christmas.”

He kind of pouted at that, “So I guess I won’t get to see you for few days, huh?”

“Nope. I’d ask you tag along but I know it’s a little too soon for that plus your mom is in.”

Justin chuckled, “Your right. Although I would like to meet your family.”

“Well I wouldn’t want to kill your holiday spirits so I’ll wait and subject you to that torture later.” She said as he laughed.

“They’re not that bad.” He said

Ava laughed, “No they’re not. I love my family. I promise you’ll get to meet them.”

“Why are you having Christmas so early?”

He definitely didn’t miss the hostility in her voice when she replied, “Because of my evil ex-sister in law. She’s not letting my brother, Cooper, have the kids this Christmas. Even though it’s his turn to have them on Christmas day.”

“Is that Curly Q?” He heard Kaci ask in the background.

“Yes it is.” He heard Ava say, “Kaci says hi.”

“Tell her hello for me too. I take it you don’t too much care for your sister in law.

“EX sister in law, and you would be right. Anyway, I have to pick up my niece and nephew on Thursday at her house and then head down to San Diego…”

Justin smiled to himself as he listened to her go on and on about the eventful week she had ahead of her. It had been a long time since he felt this way about a girl. Since they put everything out in the open this morning it seemed like his feeling for her seemed to come easier. Well, easier for him to accept. Before he just wanted to push them back the moment those thoughts of her popped in his brain, but it wasn’t long until those thoughts clouded his brain.
She didn’t make it hard to like her. She was beautiful, understanding, and loved his daughter. Maybe it was a little easier with her because she knew what it was like to lose someone close to her. Until you’ve been through that fog yourself it’s hard for other people to understand exactly where you’re walking. Seeing her relatively moving on with her life without her father makes him see that maybe he can move on with his life too.

“Are you there?” He heard her ask.

He cleared his throat and chuckled, “Yeah. I’m here.”

She smiled as well, “You weren’t listening to anything I said were you?”

“Yes I was.”

“Then tell me what I just said?”

“Ok you got me. But I wasn’t doing it intentionally.”

“Sure, you weren’t. It’s ok I’ll let it slide.”

“Listen, one of the reasons I called was to ask you if you wanted to come over for dinner.”

“Does your mom mind?”

“No she’s the one that came up with idea.”

“You mean she doesn’t judge on first impressions?”

Justin laughed, “Ava, she doesn’t think bad of you at all believe me. She’s walked in on worse.”

“Well that just makes me feel better.” Ava said laughing.

“Why don’t you come on over and make a better second impression. Besides Olivia is about to drive me insane about wanting to see you.”

Ava smiled at the mention of the little girl, “Well since you threw the Olivia card down how could I refuse. What time?”

“6:00 ok?”

“That’s perfect.”

“Alright I’ll see you then right?”

“Yes you will. Bye Justin.”

“Bye Ava.” Justin said as he flipped his phone shut.

His head turned in the direction of his door and saw his mother standing in the doorway. She saw him motion her to come in further and she followed, “Was that Ava?” she asked as she sat down on the bed across from him.

Justin smiled, “Yes it was.”

“Is she coming over for dinner?”

“Yes. I told her 6:00. I think she’s really embarrassed about this afternoon.”

Lynn laughed, “Well then that just shows she’s a normal person. I would have been too, but I’m sure she’s a very nice girl. I can’t wait to get to know her.”

“Me neither.” Justin said as he looked up at the ceiling.

It was silent between them for a moment and he looked back over at his mother who was staring at him, “What?” he asked.

“Nothing, I’m just glad to see you getting back out there.” She said as she patted his hand. “I know it’s not the same, but I do know how you feel. After your father and I got divorced I thought I’d never date again. I thought I’d never even feel love again, but then Paul came along.” She said as she smiled, “And he changed it all for me. I know what I went through isn’t exactly what you’re going through with Melanie, but in a way it is. I mourned the death of my marriage the same way you’re mourning the death of your wife. It’s not an easy thing to overcome. It’s so easy to get consumed by grief.”

Justin sighed, “It really is.”

“I was so scared you were headed down that road. And to be honest I really think you already were. I know it’s hard, and I can’t imagine feeling the pain that you’ve been feeling.”

“How did you know it was the right time when Paul came into the picture?”

Lynn laughed, “I don’t know sweetie. I guess the same way I knew it was right with your father.” She said. Lynn looked at her son and grabbed his hand in hers. She looked down at it and rubbed it lovingly before looking back up at her son, “You know sometimes love finds you when you’re not even looking for it. That’s the way it was with Paul and I. I mean we were friends for a long time and then it was like this light bulb switched on and it was like my brain said ‘There he is.’”

“That’s kind of the same with Ava.” Justin said, “I mean not saying that I love her already because I don’t. Well not in that way, but still, I just wasn’t looking for this with her. When I first met her I was honest about my intentions, I just wanted a friend. And I believe that’s how it started with her too. But the more I got to know her it was just inevitable. She knows what it’s like to walk in the fog I’ve been walking in, and that really makes it a lot easier to know that she understands.”

Lynn smiled, “She seems like a real amazing person.”

Justin smiled, “She really is. She’s been an amazing friend to me.”

Lynn smiled at her son and leaned closer to him and placed a kiss on his cheek, “I better go get dinner started. Livvie is down for a nap right now so try to be as quiet as possible.” She said as she got off the bed.

“I think I might do the same.” Justin said as he started to roll over but stopped and called to his mother, “Mom?”

Lynn stopped at the door and turned back around, “Yes honey?”

He smiled at her, “I’m glad we had this talk. You really helped. I don’t know why we didn’t have this talk sooner.”

She smiled back, “Me neither, honey. I’m glad I could help.” She said as she walked out the door and down the stairs.

Justin rolled over and looked at the picture on his nightstand. He reached out and grabbed it and traced his finger across their faces. It was a picture taken five years ago on their wedding day. She looked so beautiful that day, and he remembered he was so nervous. About what he didn’t really know, he just knew he felt like he was going to be sick at any moment that day. But once he saw her walking down that aisle he was suddenly calm, and he knew why he was standing there. And the butterflies that were once dancing in his stomach weren’t dancing out of nervousness anymore. They were dancing out of excitement. At that moment the best album he ever made topping the charts couldn’t even top the feeling he felt at that moment knowing that that woman was all his for the rest of his life. If he never made another bestselling album for the rest of his life he was fine with that.

Even though their time together was short the love that they shared went beyond time. But he knew now that there was space in his heart for more. He knew that she would forever have that space in his heart that no other woman could fill, but that didn’t mean another one couldn’t have another space. And for the first time in three years he was finally ready to have it filled. He was tired of being lonely, but he knew he’d never forget Melanie. He couldn’t ever when she lived on in their daughter.

“Things are finally beginning to look up.” He said to himself and to the picture.

He knew that she’d want him to move on, and he knew she’d be so proud of him. They had even discussed it before she had died, although neither one of them knew what lied ahead. But knowing that he knew that made it a little easier.

He placed a kiss on the picture and set it back on the nightstand.

He closed his eyes and smiled knowing that he was finally back in the land of the living.

Incomplete
Jamie Lynn is the author of 3 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 19 members. Members who liked The Heart of Life also liked 407 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story