Author's Chapter Notes:
I have to give thanks to my silent partner in crime! Thank you so much!
“Knock, knock.” Ava said as she opened the pushed open the hospital room door of one of her little patients.

She smiled when she received the beautiful toothy grin of Zoey. She was such a wonderful kid, and she hated to see her confined to this boring hospital. But luckily for her she should be able to go home tomorrow. She had a minor touch of pneumonia that came with a high fever which caused her to be hospitalized. She still had a lot of phlegm in her lungs, but her doctor said it was almost cleared up.

“Hi Miss Ava!” said the brown haired, big bright blue eyed, three year old girl.

“How are you today?”

“Good. I color you a picture.” Zoey said handing her a page out of her coloring book. To be her age she colored inside the lines pretty well, but you could still look at it and tell it was the art work of a child.

“It’s beautiful. Thank you so much.” Ava said as she placed a kiss on the top of Zoey’s head. She then turned her attention to Diane, Zoey’s mother. “The doctor said that everything is clearing up fine. She still has a little phlegm in her lungs but it’s nothing that a few breathing treatments won’t cure. So,” Ava said making a face as she looked down at Zoey, “guess who gets to go home in two days?”

Zoey’s eyes got big, “Me?”

“Of course! You know that nasty, yucky stuff that I told you was in your lungs?” Ava asked as Zoey shook her head, “Well it’s almost gone. There’s still a little left but if we keep giving you medicine it should be gone.”

“Yay!” She said excitedly clapping her hands. “I go home see my daddy and baby brother?”

Ava smiled, “Yep.”

Diane smiled, “Did you tell Miss Ava that you’re going to have company today?”

“You’re going to get some visitors?” Ava asked enthusiastically.

Zoey smiled, “Yes. Olivia and her daddy are come see me.”

“Well how cool is that?” Ava asked smiling at her.

She smiled giving her a toothy grin, “Cool. She bring me a teddy bear and new coloring books.”

“Promise you’ll color me another picture?” Ava asked looking down at Zoey.

She smiled and shook her head, “Me and Livvie will.”

“Even better.” Ava said ruffling her hair, “I’ll by in a little while to check up on you kiddo.” Ava said smiling as she walked back toward the door.

“Bye Miss Ava!” she called.

Ava turned and waved at her as she walked out of her room.

There were times like these when she really loved her job.



A few hours later Ava was sitting at the nurse’s desk going over some charts and drinking a Starbucks White Chocolate Frappicino when she heard the sound of a child voice fill the floor.

“Come on Daddy! Hurry up.”

“Livvie, baby, you need to lower your voice. Remember Daddy telling you there were sick people here who needed their rest?”

She smiled overhearing father and daughter.

“Yes.”

“Ok so do you promise you’ll be on your best behavior?”

“Promise.”

“Alright let Daddy ask one of the nurses what room she’s in and we’ll go see her ok?”

“Ok.”

It wasn’t until this point that she lifted her head, and she was surprised to see Justin coming toward the desk.

“Hey can you tell me...” He drifted off as he saw Ava, “I know you don’t I?”

Ava smiled, “Yeah we met at the bar inside Tony’s the other night.”

Justin smiled memory coming back to him, “Oh yeah! I really enjoyed talking to you that night…I’m sorry I don’t remember your name.”

She smiled assuring him it was ok, “It’s Ava.”

“Ava, that’s simple to remember. So you’re a nurse here huh?”

“Yep. Been here since I graduated school.”

“That’s cool. My daughter and I are here to see one of her friends Zoey Masterson. Can you tell me what room she’s in?”

Ava smiled again at the mention of her favorite patient, “Sure. Come on, I’ll show you.” She said as she stood and made her way around the nurse’s station.

She waited at the end of it for Justin and Olivia to catch up to her. She smiled down at his little girl, “Are you Olivia?” she asked bending down to her level.

Olivia shook her head yes and hid behind her father’s leg shyly.

Justin snickered, “Come on now, you’re never shy.” He said rubbing his hand across her head, Justin then looked at Ava, “How’d you know her name?”

She looked up at him, “Well the obvious way I read it, and also you’re all Zoey could talk about today.” She said as she looked at Olivia again and poked her gently in her side causing her to giggle.

“I’m Ava.” She said sticking her hand out for Olivia to take.

She contemplated it for a moment, and then smiled slowly coming from behind her father’s leg, “I Olivia.” She said placing her smaller hand in the bigger one that was reached out to her.

“Well it’s nice to meet you Olivia.” Ava said shaking it once. Ava then stood and led them down the hall to Zoey’s room, “She’s been expecting you guys all day. She’s bee so excited.”

“Are you her nurse?”

“Yes I am.” She said as she smiled at Justin as she came to stop at her room and knocked on it, “Zoey?” She asked as she peeked her head through the door a little bit.

Zoey smiled at her and waved, “Hi Miss Ava.” She said sweetly.

“Guess who I’ve got out here with me?”

Her eyes got big, “Who?” she asked.

Ava then opened the door a little wider and let Olivia walk through, “Livvie!” she squealed.

Ava laughed as she let Justin walk through, “Thanks.” He said smiling at her.

“No problem.” Ava said as she began to walk back to the nurse’s station.

“Miss Ava?” she head Zoey call back to her.

“Yes sweetie?” she answered turning back around to face Zoey

“When yo come back I have your picture.”

Ava smiled, “Promise?”

“Promise.” Zoey said with a small lisp on the s’s. “ Right Livvie?”

Olivia smiled and shook her head, “Promise.” She said

“Ok I’ll be back. I better have a picture.” Ava said.

Diane laughed, “Well you girls better get to working on it.”

Ava smiled and continued to walk toward the nurse’s station. She looked down at her watch and saw that it was 3 o’clock. Two more hours and she was able to go home and soak in a nice bath.

She reached over the side of the nurse’s desk to retrieve some charts of patients that she needs to make a visit too.

“So have you been on any more disastrous dates?” asked a voice from behind her causing her to jump.

“My god you scared me.” Ava said turning around with a hand over her chest.

“Sorry.” Justin said smiling.

Ava laughed, “It’s fine. And no I haven’t. When the last one didn’t show up I told her no more.” She said as she turned back to her charts.

“Me neither. I honestly couldn’t believe that my friend thought those girls could hold a conversation about anything that wasn’t concerning Prada or Gucci.”

Ava reached into her scrub pocket to retrieve a pen and laughed, “Don’t you know those are the most interesting conversations to hold?”

“Not when you’re conversations now revolve around Dora The Explorer or Finding Nemo.”

Ava laughed, “I see.” She said as she wrote something on one of the charts. She clicked the button on the pen making the ball retreat back up, and putting it back in her pocket. “I really hate to cut you off here, but I really got some patients that I got to tend too. But It was really nice seeing you again. If you’re still around once I get through maybe we could talk more?”

Justin smiled, “I’d like that.”

Ava smiled, “Alright. I’ll see you later.” She said as she moved past him and made her way down the hall.

Justin smiled to himself and walked back to Zoey’s room where she and his daughter were currently working a picture for Miss Ava.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story