Ava smiled as she saw her friend’s reaction to meeting and befriending Justin Timberlake.

Kaci’s jaw dropped open, then she shook her head, “No you didn’t. There’s no way…no, no. You’re getting me back for all those horrible dates.”

Ava laughed, “No I’m not. I swear. You know the last date that you set me up on that didn’t even show?”

Kaci rolled her eyes and shook her head yes.

“Well that’s where we met. I was sitting at the bar waiting on Mr. No-show. And he just comes up and orders a rum and coke.”

“No shit.”

Ava laughed, “I swear. I’m not kidding you.”

“This is the real world we’re living in here Ava. What are the odds of meeting Justin Timberlake?”

“Well obviously I’m one of the odds.”

“You are so lying.”

“No I’m not!” Ava said laughing.

Kaci crossed her arms over her chest, “What did he say to you?”

“Well we talked about our blind dates. How his was a complete disaster and how mine never even showed. We also talked about how our crazy friends set us up on them.”

“See that right there tells me you’re lying. His wife just passed away why would he be out on a date?”

“His wife passed away three years ago, Kaci. And maybe he’s, oh I don’t know, trying to move on with this life?” Ava said as she opened the door to their refrigerator.

There was silence between them for a moment, “You really met him?”

“Yes. Why would I make this up?”

“Because you think it’s punishment from setting you up on all those dates from hell.”

“Kaci, honestly, If I were going to get you back I would have done it by now and with something a lot better than this.”

Kaci shook her head in agreement, “True.”

Ava smiled as she took out a bottle of water and closed the door behind her.

“So what all was said?” Kaci asked as she sat down on the stool.

“He did most of the talking. He talked about his wife mostly.” Ava said as she took a sip of her water.

“Really? What did he say?”

“Well he talked about how he thought that he’s grieved long enough, but now that he’s actually tried dating again he doesn’t think he’s ready for it again. He can’t wrap his head around the fact that he has to get back out there and find the other perfect woman that he’s supposed to spend the rest of his life with.”

“That was so sad. And he was actually drinking when he said all this? Because you know his wife was killed by a drunk driver.”

“Yes I know. No, he didn’t drink any. I think he might have taken one sip, but he just stared at the rest. When he began to talk about her and how she died he pushed it aside.”

“That kills me. How said is that?”

“Very. He seems like he could really use some friends.”

“Doesn’t he have some?”

“Well of course. He’s got Trace, but real friends that he can talk too. The only one he’s got for that sort of thing is Trace. And let’s face it pushing all your problems off on one person can get a little annoying.”

“You seem to have no problem doing it.”

“Neither do you.” Ava said in retaliation, “But I also have more than just you that I know if I needed to I could talk to them about anything.”

“And you said that you saw him again when he brought his daughter too see her friend that was sick?”

“Yep. And then again tonight when he brought Olivia in.”

“Well, sounds like the friendship gods are trying to push you two together.” Kaci said smiling.

“I guess. I’m gonna go take a shower. I need to get this hospital funk off me.” Ava said twisting the cap back on her water and left it sitting on the counter.

“Why can’t I get that kind of thing to happen to me? Seriously what are the odds of someone as normal as me and you getting to meet a celebrity?”

“He’s just as normal as you and I.”

“No one as normal as me and you has a bagillion dollars, Ava.”

“So are you saying he’s not human?”

Kaci rolled her eyes which made Ava laugh. “No smart ass I was just saying that he’s obviously not as normal as me and you. No normal person has a million photographers following them around everywhere they go.”

“But that doesn’t make him any less normal than me and you.”

Kaci sighed, “Ugh, I’m not arguing with you about this.”

“So am I free to go take a shower now?”

“Please. You reek!” Kaci said. Ava, who was already en route to her bathroom, flipped Kaci the bird.

Kaci laughed and continued to look like she was working on her homework. She was seriously tempted to just become a full time Hooter’s Girl, but she knew Ava would have her head on a silver platter. Along with her parents who were currently spending their hard earned money while she continued to figure out what it was exactly she wanted to do with her life.

She was seriously into her Psych book when she heard the phone ringing. Not turning her attention away from the book, she reached over to grab the phone.

She pressed the talk button, and placed it up to her ear resting it between her neck and shoulder. “Hello?”

“Is Ava there?”

Kaci picked her head up, and momentarily fixed her attention on the phone. Having a man call their house phone and ask for Ava of all people…well that was something new. “Um, yes she is but she’s busy at the moment. Can I take a message?”

“Uh…yeah, sure. Can you just tell her Justin called?”

Kaci blinked rapidly twice, and now focused her full attention on the conversation she was currently holding, “No shit.”

She head a chuckle, “Excuse me?”

“It’s just…I’m sorry. I just…I can’t believe I’m talking to you. I mean she only just now told me about meeting you, and everything. And I was seriously having a hard time believing her. Because what are the odds of meeting you in a city as big as LA?”

“Well, I do live here. I was bound to be seen at sometime or another.”

Between having her head stuck in her Psych book and the conversation at hand she hadn’t heard the water from Ava’s shower cut off, nor the hear moving around in other rooms, so she was surprised to see her come around the corner clad in black shorts and a gray shirt with a towel wrapped around her head.

“I’m just disappointed that it wasn’t me. This kind of shit always happens to her.”

Justin laughed, “Well I apologize.”

“No problem. Well, she’s no longer busy at the moment. Would you like to talk to her?”

“If you don’t mind.”

“Just a moment.” Kaci said as she took the phone from her ear, and covered the mouth piece.

“Holy shit!” She mouthed to Ava.

Ava looked at her weirdly, “What?”

“Justin Freakin Timberlake is currently on the phone asking to speak with you.” She whispered.

Ava rolled her eyes, and then remembered that her friend had the ability to stick her foot in her mouth, “Oh god you didn’t say anything stupid did you?” Ava said as she grabbed the phone out of her hand.

“How could accuse me of such a thing?” Kaci said but she was slowly tuned out as Ava walked back towards her room.

“Hello.” She said into the phone as she opened the door to her room.

“Hey Ava. It’s Justin.”

“Hey.” Ava said into the phone as she shut the door behind her, “I didn’t expect you to call so soon.” Ava said smiling as she sat down on her bed.

She heard Justin chuckle, “Normally I wouldn’t. But you were the first person that I though of for this situation.”

“Alright. What would that be?”

“I got home and realized I had no medicine for Olivia to help with her nausea. What would you suggest I buy? I am currently standing in the middle of Walgreen’s looking at all this medicine, and there’s a lot I have to choose from.” Justin said laughing.

Ava smiled. She could imagine that a wall full of medicine dedicated to children would look unconquerable to any man, “I think your best bet is to go with some Children’s Mylanta.”

“You can never go wrong with Mylanta.” Justin said as he grabbed a bottle.

“Nope. Is that all you wanted?” Ava asked nicely

“Actually no it wasn’t. Are you busy tomorrow?”

“No actually I’m not. I’m off.”

“Well how would you feel about doing lunch with Olivia and me? I’m thinking by lunch tomorrow she’ll be up for something other than soup.” He said admiring his little girl who was currently asleep against his other shoulder. She was getting bigger by the days and he knew soon he wouldn’t be able to carry her like this for much longer.

“Is she feeling better already?”

“I can tell she still feels horrible. But after a good night’s sleep and some medicine I think by tomorrow she’ll be up to a little outing. So what do you say? I don’t think I’ve ever known anyone to turn McDonald’s down.” Justin said as he made his way to the check out counter.

Ava smiled as she leaned against her pillows, “Sure. Just tell which McDonald’s and what time.”

“How about 12:30 at the one that’s a block away from the Hospital?”

“Works for me.”

“Great. It’ll give us a chance to get to know each other better.”

“I can’t wait.”

Justin smiled and placed the bottle of Mylanta on the belt, “Alright well I need to pay this medicine and get my kid home to her bed. So I’ll see you tomorrow?”

“Yep.”

“Alright. See you tomorrow friend.” Justin said

Ava laughed at his use of the word friend, “Bye.” Ava said as she pressed the end button the phone.

“So?” Kaci said as she poked her head in the door of Ava’s room.

“Were you listening out there this whole time?”

“You bet. So where are you going tomorrow with Mr. Sexy-Back himself?”

“That’s business isn’t it?”

Kaci’s mouth dropped, “You can’t do that to me! I can never be as lucky as you so I have to live vicariously through you.” She said as she came further into her room and sat on her bed.

“We’re going to McDonalds at 12:30 tomorrow. Are you happy?”

“I’d be even happier if you and I could change bodies for the day.”

Ava laughed, “Whatever.”

“You say whatever like you see celebrities everyday.”

Ava rolled her eyes again and stood up to take the towel from her head.

“So is this like a date?” Kaci asked.

“No!” Ava said immediately, “No date.”

“Why not?”

“Because I don’t like him like that.”

Kaci’s mouth dropped, “Are you kidding me? Are we talking about the same Justin Timberlake?”

“Yes.”

“Mr. I’ll-Let-You-Whip-Me-If-I-Mis-Behave Justin Timberlake?”

Ava laughed even harder, “Yes.”

“Are you blind or something? How the hell could you NOT like that?”

“No, he’s hot. I agree with you there. But I don’t like him in the date him kind of way. Besides we’re only friends. I don’t think he’s ready for something more with a girl.”

“Well when he’s ready for something more I expect you’ll jump on that bandwagon right?”

Ava laughed, “Um, if I feel something yes.”

“Girl I feel it every time I hear the man sing.”

Ava laughed again, “Will you go! You have a Psych book to read, and I have sleep to catch up on.”

Kaci rolled her eyes, “Thanks for the reminder.”

“That’s what I’m here for.”

“Why is that I’m the one stuck with her nose In the books while you get to sex it up with Justin Timberlake?”

“GO!” Ava yelled with a laugh as she pointed toward her door.

“Alright, alright.” Kaci said as she walked toward Ava’s door.

“I still think it’s not fair. But I’ll see you in the morning.”

“Alright, good night.” Ava said blowing a kiss her way.

“Night.” Kaci said as she closed the door behind her.

Ava turned back her bed covers and crawled under them. She reached over to her nightstand and turned off her lamp.

She closed her eyes and with a smile on her face anticipated what awaited her when she woke up the next morning.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story