Author's Chapter Notes:
Alright so after deciding that I left on a horrible ending last update...I decided to add on more to the end of this chapter. Now it's not a whole lot, but I think maybe by Tuesday, if not sooner, that I'll have a whole NEW one. But I really really like this ending better. You guys tell me what you think. And thanks so much for all the reviews! You guys truly are the best.

And a HUGE shout out to my Silent Partner in Writing Crime. You rock girl! And I definitely could'nt have done the majority of this story without you being my voice of reason! You're awesome!
Ava sighed as she sprawled out on her couch for an evening with the apartment to herself, the lights out, junk food, and Grey’s Anatomy. For the past few days she had been receiving phone calls from Justin frequently. And had met up with him, Olivia and even Trace in the small amount of time. She was happy to say that she could now call Trace a friend. The phone calls from Justin were often at night since she had to work and he only had a lot of free time when Olivia was sleeping. She would have never imagined that she would be on the phone until two in the morning with Justin Timberlake. She was shocked at how easy he was to talk too.

Kaci was out for the evening. She had a study date after she got out of her night classes and was going to stay over at the friend’s house. She was loving the privacy but Grey’s just wasn’t Grey’s without Kaci. She had no one to talk to about how amazing McDreamy was. Basking in the amazingness that is Dr. McDreamy just wasn’t something that you wanted to do alone.

But it was better to do it alone than not at all. Because honestly, she needed a little McDreamy loving right now, and it felt a little good that she didn’t have to share him tonight. She never understood why Kaci had chosen to go down the shared path of McDreamy when there was the un-walked road of McSteamy that honestly wasn’t so bad. But Ava would never walk that road and let Kaci win McDreamy. No, no way. It just wasn’t going to happen.

Luckily she was on commercial break when the phone rang. Yes, she had seen the episode when it aired earlier in the season but so what? It was still Thursday and it was still Grey’s Anatomy night. Re-runs or New Episodes Thursday night at eight o’clock the TV was on ABC.

“This better be good.”

She heard the chuckle of the male species come over the line, and she instantly knew who it was. “We’ve discussed what I do on Thursday nights correct?”

“Yes.” He said laughing.

“And I have told you what time Grey’s comes on AND goes off right?”

“Yes.”

“Then why am I talking to you right now?”

“Well I saw that it was on commercial break and I figured you might want a cure for boringness that is commercials.”

“Eh, I just change the channel.” She said doing so with the remote.

He laughed, “Well forgive me for the call then.”

She continued to flip through the channels to find something to occupy her eyes until commercial break was over, “Eh, since you’re new to the World that is Ava McKinley I’ll let it slide. So what’s up?” She said putting it back on ABC when she found nothing else worthy of watching.

“Not much. Just put the munchkin down for the night.”

Ava smiled at the mention of Olivia, “Did she play hard today?”

The night before Justin told her of how Trace was going to take her to the Zoo and the park today so Justin could have some time to himself, “Yeah she did. She came home so excited about seeing the monkeys.”

“And what did you do with all this free time you had?” Ava asked as she lowered the volume on her TV and sank lower into her couch.

Over the past few days that they had been hanging out and talking on the phone she had grown so attached to his daughter. Justin said that Olivia had been asking about her. She had been thinking once she and Justin got to know each other better she would do a girl thing with Olivia, Kaci, and herself.

“Not much. I just got caught up on what’s on TV, and talked to my mother.”

“Sounds like you had fun.”

“Eh, I was bored.”

“I’m sure your mother would be pleased knowing that you were bored talking to her.”

“I wasn’t but she sure gave me something to think about.”

“What’s that?”

“She thinks that I should put Olivia in a daycare. She said it would be good for her so she will no how to interact with other kids her age, and make it easier for her when it comes time for her to go to school.”

“She does have a point.”

“Yeah but I don’t want to think about her growing up. If no one would have reminded me I would have never known she was almost to the age for her going to school.”

Ava laughed, “So what are you going to do?”

“Well a part of me thinks that I should and that it would be good for her, but the other part of me doesn’t want to let her go.”

“It’s not like she’s getting married yet.”

“Ok I don’t even want to think of that.”

Ava laughed more, “It’ll be good for her. She needs to befriend people that aren’t your friends.”

“I know. I’ll look into it more.” Justin said as they fell into a comfortable silence over the phone. She was about to say something more when he spoke up again, “What are you doing tomorrow?”

“Well I had plans to spend the day with Kaci. We were gonna go shopping and do the whole girl thing tomorrow.”

“I would know nothing about that.” Justin said.

“Oh come on you know you spend more money in a clothing store than a woman does.”

“True I have been known to do that. Trace had offered to take Olivia and me out to lunch and he had invited you to come along as well. But since you have plans I think we’ll survive without you.”

Ava smiled, “Well tell Trace I am sorry. If plans change I’ll call does that sound better?”

“That’s fine.” Justin said with a smile as he slid further down into his bed. He placed an arm behind his head and continued to talk, “You know my whole point of befriending you was so I could get away from the short shit every once in a while. But I guess I should have known that he would want to have you as his friend too.”

Ava threw her head back and laughed at his comment, “Well I’m glad that I am accepted into your world.”

Justin laughed at that comment, “Are you sure you’re not questioning your friendship with me? My world can be a little weird.” He said with a smile.

“Are you kidding? My best friend is a Hooter’s girl who has no clue what she wants to do with her life. She’s been in college for a while now. She’s like a female Van Wilder.” Ava said as she turned her head back to her television that was now back on Grey’s Anatomy.

“I see that the show finally came back on. I’ll let you go. I was just calling to invite you out with us tomorrow.”

Ava smiled, “Thank you for the invite. I’ll definitely call you if plans change.”

“Alright that sounds good. Enjoy the rest of the show.”

“I will.”

“Good night.” Justin said into the phone.

“Night.” Ava said as she heard Justin hang up.

And in an instant she was sucked back into the world that is McDreamy.

__________________________________________________________


At ten thirty the next morning Ava was sitting anxiously on her couch for Kaci to show back up. It was her birthday and they had been planning this shopping spree for a while.

Ava glanced at her watch once more, and decided that she probably overslept. Pushing some hair behind her ear she watched a little more TV and waited for any sign of Kaci.

Five minutes later the phone rang, “Hello?” Ava said as she placed the phone to her ear.

“Hey I got some bad news.” Kaci said disappointment dripping from her voice.

“What?” Ava said dreading to hear what was to come out.

“So you know that test that I said I was going to be studying for after class last night?”

“Yeah.”

“Well while I was in class last night I found out it’s a lot bigger than I thought, and I have got some major studying to finish. I’ve got to make a B or higher in order to pass this class.”

Her chest sank with disappointment. But she wasn’t mad because she could actually see some improvement in her as far as school went, and she was so happy she was finally taking it seriously, though Kaci would never admit it out loud, “That sucks.”

“I know it’s your birthday babe and I swear I’ll make it up to you.”

“No, no, it’s ok. I’ll find something else to do.”

“I know we had been so excited about this for so long, and I’m disappointed myself. I was so looking forward to that pedicure.”

Ava laughed a small laugh, “Me too.”

“I promise to get you an awesome present to make up for this.”

“Just pass the class. That’ll be enough for me.” Ava said with a smile.

“I’ll try.”

“Alright well good luck.”

“Thanks babe. And I’m really sorry.”

“It’s fine. Just do well on your test.”

“I will. I better get off here and finish. I had to call in sick to work today to finish this stuff. I love ya!”

“Love you too. Call me and tell me how it went.”

“I will. Bye girl.”

Ava smiled, “Bye.”

Ava sighed and put the phone back on the charger. She was really looking forward to this.

She wasn’t at Kaci for bailing on their plans, because honestly she wanted Kaci to take college more seriously. And Ava honestly felt like she was really beginning to. Otherwise she would have said screw the test let’s go like she had so many other times.

She was beginning to try to think of other things to do when she remembered Justin’s offer last night. She grabbed the phone and began to dial his number.

After the third ring someone picked up, “Hello?”

Ava’s face fell into a confused state, “Justin?”

“Uh no this is Trace. Who’s this?”

“Oh hey it’s Ava.”

“Oh I didn’t realize it was you. What’s up girl?”

“Nothing I was just trying to get a hold of the Pop Star. Is he around?”

“He’s upstairs getting Livvie dressed. He told me you weren’t coming today. What’s up with that?”

“Well I had previous plans. But she bailed on me.”

“Oh that sucks. So does this mean you get to grace us with your lovely presence?”

Ava laughed and smiled, “Well maybe if the offer still stands.”
“Of course it does I’m the one who invited you.”

“Then it’s a yes.”

“Awesome. Well it looks as though the Diva himself just walked in. I’ll hand him over to you. I’m glad you’re coming today.”

“Thanks me too.”

Ava could hear some muffled conversation going in the background as Trace handed the phone over to Justin.

“Ava?”

“Yeah, it’s me.”

“I thought you weren’t coming today.”

“Well I wasn’t but Kaci had something unexpected come up and she couldn’t make it today. So I decided to take you up on your offer.”

“I’m sorry. You sounded like you were really looking forward to it last night. Was today something special?”

Ava sighed. She was really hoping she wouldn’t have to reveal it was her birthday. She had talked to Justin long enough to know that if he knew such information he would make it a big deal.

“Yeah it was.”

“What was it?”

She rolled her eyes, “My birthday.”

“Your what? Why didn’t you tell me?”

“Because I didn’t want to make it a big deal.”

“It’s your birthday it’s supposed to be a big deal.”

“Not to me I’m just a year older and closer to thirty.”

“What was more important that she bailed on you on your birthday?”

“You know how I told you last night she’s like the female version of Van Wilder?”

“Yeah.”

“Well she’s got this huge psych test that she’s got to study for. And come to find out it was bigger than what she thought it was and needs to score a B or higher on this test in order to pass the class.”

Justin immediately sucked in breath, “Ouch. I guess that is a good reason to bail on someone.”

“Yeah, and I can’t really be mad at her because I’ve been wanting her to take this more seriously for a while now. And if it costs me a birthday celebration so be it.”

“Well get ready for a fun filled day with the three of us. Just give me directions to your apartment and we’ll swing by and grab you.”

Five minutes later Ava’s frown had slowly turned into a smile. She was again looking forward to the day that she had ahead of her.

__________________________________________________________


“So was your dad like really strict?” Trace asked.

Ava laughed, “Well that depends on how you look at it. My brothers are much older than me and I was the only girl. So from perspective yes he was. But I’m sure from a Dad’s he was just protecting me.”

Justin laughed looking over at his own little girl that was sitting contently in the Birthday Girl’s lap.

Trace laughed too, “So you’re brothers got away with a lot more than you did.”

“Yes. My brother’s could call in and say they were going to be an hour late for curfew and it would be no problem, but let me go do it and it was ‘You better be here at 11:30 young lady or you’re grounded.’” She said trying her best to imitate her father while looking down at Olivia who only laughed in response.

“I took you for a Daddy’s girl.” Trace said shoving a fry in his mouth.

They were finally eating dinner and were about to bring their day to an end. They spent their day shopping at the mall, going to the Zoo, and now dinner. She didn’t think that going to the Zoo at 26 would still be fun but it was.

“Oh I was. I was completely. And although he was strict I still had him wrapped around my finger. Like this one here.” Ava said handing Olivia her cup she was drinking out of.

“She has everyone she meets wrapped around her finger. The kid’s not even mine and she gets what ever she wants. But hey at least I can spoil her and give her back.”

Ava laughed, “That’s my philosophy too.”

Justin crossed his arms and leaned back in the booth, “Are your brother’s married?”

“They’re both divorced, and have two children each. Cooper and Ryan live together in San Diego.”

“I guess it is pretty hard to be married to a soldier.” Justin said.

Ava shrugged and pulled Olivia a little closer to her chest, “I guess it would be. It all depends on how willing you are to make it work.”

Justin could detect a hint of a story in those words, but he decided to just leave it be for the time being. He’d only known her for at least a week. It was a little too soon to be airing dirty laundry. Although he’d aired his the first moment he met her. But it was nothing that she hadn’t read for herself.

“Do you have any nieces or nephews?” Justin asked as he dipped a fry in ketchup and shoved it in his mouth.

“I’ve got three nephews and one niece.”

“How old are they?” Trace asked as he wiped his hands on his napkin.

“Seth and Jesse are Ryan’s boys. Seth is 5 and Jesse is 2. Then Cooper has Keegan and Shelby. Shelby will be a year in September and Keegan just turned 4.”

“Sounds like you really miss them.” Trace said smiling at her.

“I do.” Ava said but was distracted by Olivia pulling on her sleeve to get her attention, “Yes sweetie?”

“I go potty.” She said looking up at Ava.

Justin immediately intercepted, “Don’t worry Mrs. Ava sweetie, I’ll take you.” He said standing up.

“No Mrs. Ava take me.”

“Why don’t you let me take you so Mrs. Ava can finish eating?”

“I no ask you, Daddy. I ask Mrs. Ava.” She said with the stubbornness that her father gave her coming out.

Justin feigned a little shock, and then looked at Ava, “Do you mind?”

“Not at all.” Ava said as she slid Olivia out of her lap and onto the ground. She slid herself out and reached hand out for Olivia to grab. Olivia grabbed on to her hand and they began to walk toward the bathrooms.

Justin sat back down in the booth, and looked over at Trace.

Trace grabbed his Tea glass and took a big swig, “What’s your deal?”

“What do you mean?”

“You act like it’s a total shock that Olivia would want to go the bathroom with a girl.”

“But she doesn’t even do that when my mom’s around.” Justin said.

“Well maybe she’s just taken on an extra liking with Ava. It was bound to happen sometime. You didn’t think you could go her whole life without her needing or wanting that Womanly figure in her life did you?”

Justin shrugged, “I never really thought about it.”

“Even if you and Ava stay friends Olivia could really use her. She needs another woman besides your mom in her life.”

“She’s enough for me.” Justin said referring to his mother.

“She’s your mother remember? Olivia doesn’t really know what that is.”

“I know. You’re right.” Justin said as he continued to stare off into space as Olivia and Ava walked up.

“Daddy yook what Mrs. Ava buyed me!” Olivia squealed running to her father and saw her holding a big Stuffed animal bear in her arms. It had to have come from the machine at the front of the diner. He could never accomplish those damn things. He always had a hold of it with the claw and then as soon as he moved it the thing would slip out. He wasted three dollars on a stupid bear for Olivia himself one day before he decided to give up.

“That’s so cool. Can I hold him?”

She smiled a toothy smiled as she shook her head with excitement as she passed the bear over to her father and went back over to Ava to climb in her lap.

They all continued to talk and finish up their dinner. By the time 5:00 rolled around they decided to call it a day and dropped Ava off at her apartment.

The whole ride home Olivia talked about her day and the funny thing was it wasn’t about how much fun she had at the Zoo. But about how much fun she had with Mrs. Ava.

The topic of her conversation caused a few looks to be exchanged between Trace and Justin. But it only made Justin realize the inevitable no matter how bad he didn’t want to face it.

His baby was growing up and sooner than he expected she’d need a woman and not him anymore. And that only made his heart grow heavier and the lump in his throat bigger.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story