Author's Chapter Notes:
And as promised...here it is! Hope you all enjoy! Let me know what you think!
Ava walked into the peacefulness that is her apartment and was shocked to see Kaci sitting on the couch at 8:30 on a school night.

“What are you doing home?” She asked as she slipped off her sneakers and placed her purse on the table.

“My class was cancelled.” Kaci said as she continued to read her book.

“I thought you had Finals today?” She said as she walked into their living room and sat on the couch.

“I did. Well all except that one class. My professor got sick or something.” She said as she closed her book and stretched.

“Well that stinks.” Ava said as she looked out the window that was behind their couch that showed the Los Angeles sky line. It was December 15th. Almost Christmas time and it was times like these that she really wished it really felt like Christmas. But that was virtually impossible in Southern California.

“How was work?” Kaci asked as she leaned over and sat her book on the coffee table.

“It was fine. Busy as usual, but it wasn’t horrible.”

“Too tired to order take out and watch a movie?” Kaci asked with hopefulness in her voice.

“Am I ever too tired for that?”

“So it’s a done deal. You go shower, and I’ll go get the food and the movie.”

“Great.” Ava said as she watched Kaci get up to grab her keys and slip on her shoes.

“So what are we in the mood for?”

“I’m thinking American and Romantic Comedy.”

“Glad we’re on the same page because my budget can only afford Sonic anyway.” She said as Ava laughed and stood up herself.

“Alright I’ll call when I’m on my way back.” Kaci said as she reached for the door and opened it.

“Alright, be careful. Don’t give it up to no one who looks like they have a disease.”

“You’re so funny.” Kaci said as she closed the door behind her.

Ava laughed herself and walked back to her bathroom.

After her relaxing hot shower she felt ten times better. She slipped into her gray sweatpants and her oversized red USMC hoodie that she stole from her brother.

She was in the process of tying her wet hair into a messy bun when she heard the sound of her cell phone ringing. She had separate tones for everyone who called her and she knew exactly who it was that was calling her now. It was kind of obvious when it was one of his own songs.

She opened her phone and placed it her ear as she fell back into the couch, “Hello?”

“Hey. I’m glad I caught you.”

“What’s up?” She asked as she pulled her feet up onto the couch and slipped them under the cushion next to her.

“I have a huge favor to ask you.”

“I should have known. You only call when you want something.” Ava said as she laughed.

Their friendship had been progressing nicely over the past three months. They had become very good friends.

“That is so not true and you know it.” Justin said laughing himself.

“What’s this huge favor that you’re going to owe me for for the rest of your life?”

“Alright so there’s this thing that came up in New York with mine and Trace’s clothing line. And normally Trace handles all of that but there’s some papers that need my signature as well as his. I also have some other things that I need to take care of while I’m up there…”

“Cut to chase Timberlake.” Ava said smiling.

“Can you watch Olivia for a couple days for me?” He said quickly, “I mean if you can’t I understand and I’ll get my mom to fly out or something. But I just figured I’d ask you since you’re here and all.”

Ava was kind of shocked, but happy none the less that he trusted her enough with something so important, “Really?”

“Well, yeah.”

“You trust me?”

Justin laughed at her silliness, “Uh, yeah. You’re one of my best friends, and it’s not like you’re completely dumb when it comes to kids. You work with them everyday and you have four nieces and nephews of your own. Why wouldn’t I trust you? Do you have some hidden record I should know about?” Justin asked sarcastically.

Ava rolled her eyes, “No.”

“Alright then I have nothing to worry about, and besides Livvie really likes you.”

“Of course I’d love too. You know I love that kid to death.”

“Alright so it’s a done deal?”

“Yeah. When are you leaving?”

Justin cleared his throat, “Tomorrow.”

Ava rolled her eyes. That was typical of Justin. “I should have known. You know you’re lucky I didn’t have any plans myself, Timbs.”

“Yeah, yeah I know. Ok so today is Friday. So that means I’ll probably be back on Sunday. Monday at the latest if things don’t go as planned.”

It was at this point she was happy that she had weekends off. “Alright, and if all else fails Kaci can watch her Monday when I go to work.”

“Great.” Justin said.

Justin, Trace, Ava, Kaci, and Olivia had all frequently hung out of the past three months. And Olivia had also grown to like Kaci as well.

“What time does your flight leave?”

“Uh, 6:30.”

“6:30 at night?”

“Morning.”

“You know what Timbs you’re lucky we’re friends. Because I wouldn’t do this for just anyone. Especially on my day off.”

“I know, I know. And I owe you huge when I get back.”

“I think this calls for a weeks worth of Starbucks.”

“You got it.”

Ava looked up when she saw Kaci coming through the door with their food and movie, “We’re gonna have company for the next couple of days.”

“Really? Your hot single brothers wouldn’t happen to be gracing us with their presence would they?” Kaci said as she came into the living room and placed the bags and their drinks on the coffee table.

“Nope we get to baby sit Olivia for a couple days while Justin takes care of some stuff in New York.”

“Awesome I love that kid.” Kaci said, “But I’m not so sure how I feel about Curly Q. Is payment involved?”

Ava laughed as Justin sighed into her ear, “Now why does she have to go dis on my hair like that?”

“Tell him to consider it pay back for the other night when he made that comment about me not having much too be a Hooter’s Girl.” Kaci said.

“That was a joke. Trace seemed to like what she had.” Justin said laughing.

“Trace likes anything that walks.” Ava said rolling her eyes.

“Good point. Well listen I’ll let you get back to whatever it is you were doing. I’ll drop Livvie off at your place around 5:30-ish.”

Ava groaned, “I like the ish.”

“Believe me I do too.”

“Alright I’ll see you in the morning bright eyed and bushy tailed.”

Justin laughed, “Bye.”

“Bye.” Ava said as she closed her phone shut and grabbed her bag of food.

“What time is he dropping the Munchkin off in the morning?”

Ava groaned again as she shoved a fry in her mouth, “5:30.”

Kaci shocked on her drink, “5:30? Is he crazy?”

“His flight leaves at 6:30 and you know it’s hell to get through LAX no matter what time of day you go.”

Kaci shook her head, “True. Well better me than you.” She said as she grabbed their DVD and stood up to walk to their entertainment center.

“What movie did you get?” Ava asked pulling her burger out of the wrapper.

“Well I got two. I got Cruel Intentions simply because I love that movie and Ryan Phillippe is so sexy and I haven’t seen it in forever. And I got My Best Friend’s Wedding as our Romantic Comedy.” She said as she slipped Cruel Intentions into their DVD player and grabbed the remote and sat back down in her spot on the couch. “Tell me again why we don’t have these on DVD for our own collection?”

“Because we can never find them?”

“Probably right.” Kaci said as she skipped through the previews and to the movie.

Ava smiled. She loved nights like these. She loved nothing more than eating food that was bad for you, watching Chick movies, and enjoying it all with her best friend.




Ava groggily opened her eyes and groaned as she heard her cell phone chirping. She lifted her head slightly, and grabbed it. She opened it up and placed it to her ear, “’Lo?”

She heard the chuckle of a guy on the other end, “You sound cute when you’ve just woken up.” She heard him whisper.

“Timberlake, what are you doing calling me this...” She said as she looked at the clock and saw that it was 5:35. “Aw man, I’m sorry. How long have you been standing out there?” She asked as she threw the covers off her and placed her feet on the floor.

She pushed stray hair out of her face and stretched, “Not long. When you didn’t open the first 5 times I knocked I figured you didn’t hear me.” Justin said.

“Ok well I’m on my way to the door. I’ll see you in a minute.” She said as she closed the phone and placed it back on her nightstand. She quietly opened her bedroom door and walked as quietly down the hall way as she could to not wake up Kaci.

She was still wearing her red USMC hoodie but before she went to bed she opted for a short black pair of cotton shorts.

She reached the door and quietly unlocked it. She opened it and saw Justin standing there with a still sleeping Olivia in his arms and her bag on one shoulder. She was wearing a little pink flannel night gown, and her normally beautiful curly blonde hair was all a mess.

Ava had to smile at how adorable she looked, “Come on in. I’ll take her bag and you can lay her in my bed.” She said as she moved out of the way to let Justin come in further.

“Thank you again for doing this.” Justin said as he handed her Olivia’s bag.

Ava shook her head, “Not a problem.” She said as she led Justin down the hall to her room.

When they reached her room she let Justin enter first, “Which side do you want her on?”

“The left side is fine.” Ava said as Justin eased her down on the bed and pulled the cover’s around her.

She saw Olivia slowly open her eyes, “Daddy?”

“It’s me baby. You’re at Mrs. Ava’s. Remember Daddy telling you he had to go away for a few days with Uncle Trace?” Justin asked softly.

Olivia shook her head slowly, “We here already?”

Justin laughed, “Yeah sweetie we are. You fell back asleep in the car. But listen Daddy’s got to go alright? Can I get a hug and a kiss?”

Olivia shook her head yes and leaned up to wrap one arm around her father’s neck, and laid a big kiss on his lips, “Bye daddy. Love you.”

Justin smiled and kissed her on her forhead, “Love you too. You be a good girl for Mrs. Ava and Kaci ok?”

“Tay.” She said with her little eyes fighting to stay open.

Justin kissed her one more time and then stood back up, “Well I guess I’m gonna go.”

“I’ll walk you out.” Ava said as she followed Justin out of her bedroom.

“She was so excited about being able to stay with you that she wasn’t even concerned about me leaving.” He said with a laugh as he walked beside Ava down her hall.

Ava smiled, “I’m sure she was. She’ll miss you.”

“I know I’ll miss her.” Justin said as they reached the door. He opened it and stepped out into the hall, but turned back around, “Oh! I almost forgot. I left you some money in Olivia’s bag, just in case. And I also had you an extra key made to my house just in case you need anything from there.” He said as he shoved his hands in his pockets.

“You didn’t have to do that. I’ve got money.”

“Yeah but I wouldn’t feel right leaving her here with you with no money.”

“I wouldn’t have minded.”

“I know, but still.” He said smiling.

“Alright if you insist.” She said smiling as a silence fell over them. Ava shoved some hair behind her ear nervously and stepped out into the hallway to reach Justin, “Well, have a safe trip.” She said opening herself up for a hug that Justin embraced.

Ava rolled her eyes blissfully. Either it was too early in the morning or she was crazy, but damn did that man smell good! He didn’t feel to bad either.

She instantly mentally kicked herself for having those thoughts.

They were friends.

Nothing more nothing less.

“I will.” He said as he squeezed her tighter and pulled away. He bent down and kissed her on the cheek and then stepped back, “I’ll call you when we get there.”

Yep, it was too early in the morning.

Ava smiled nervously, “Ok. Be safe.”

He winked and then walked toward the elevators, “Always. Go back to sleep.” He said as he pressed the down button.

Ava smiled back, “Bye Timbs.” She said as she closed the door and locked it behind her. She leaned her back against it, and sighed.

Wow.

She pushed the stray hair back out of her face and double checked the locks. She made her back to her room, and crawled into the safety of her bed.

Maybe it was the lack of sleep that caused those feelings?

Yeah that was it.

“Daddy yeave?”

Ava smiled, “Yep.”

“Me miss him, but I have fun wif you.”

Ava smiled and pulled the little girl closer to her and wrapped her arms around her, “I have fun with you too.” She said as Olivia snuggled closer to her.

Olivia reached her little head up to reach Ava’s chin and place a kiss on the bottom of it, “Night Mrs. Ava.”

Ava smiled and placed a kiss on her curly little head, “Night Livvie.”

Five minutes later their breathing evened out and matched each others as they both fell fast asleep.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story