Deliberate now, Beth pushed aside everything but the baby.  After giving herself time to wallow in her misery, she stood up from the floor, shoved all the files back into the cabinet, and left the room behind.  Since JC no longer cared for her or even wanted to help, she decided to leave him out of her plans.  Momentary guilt had her rethinking that decision, but she ultimately decided that if her husband had any interest in their marriage he would have at least made an effort to get in touch with her.  No longer would she sit around waiting for him filled with self-pity. 

First things first, she needed a job.  Something that would pay enough to support her and the baby.  The thousand dollars in her name was going to go fast.  Taking a moment to look around the house, she immediately turned the thermostat up.  It was early fall, so obviously the house didn’t need to be so cold.  Windows could be opened to let in the fresh breeze.  Beth moved from room to room opening windows and shutting off the lights that she didn’t need.  Maybe she could close off the rooms that she wouldn’t be using and save heat and electricity that way. 

“It’s going to be alright, I’m going to take care of you.”  With a hand on her stomach, the words were meant mostly to reassure herself that she would see that this child had the best life she could offer, even if the father wasn’t around. 

***

Around 3 months later

The days crawled so slowly for Beth.  She had been unable to find a full time job that would give her time off when the baby came so she was working two part time jobs where she had to stand on her feet all day.  Exhausted every night, she came home, ate enough to sustain the baby, and fell into bed.  Her ankles were so swollen and her back hurt terribly.  Longing for someone to rub her back she collapsed in a chair in the kitchen, just for a moment while she kicked off her shoes and gave her feet some relief. 

Trying to gather enough energy to fix something to eat, she was surprised by a knock on the door she had just entered.  Since JC had emptied her accounts, no one stopped by to see how she was doing.  Her life before was full of friends, but if they could believe JC’s story then they were obviously no friends of hers.  No matter, she could do this on her own. 

Noticing she hadn’t bothered to lock it, she called for the person to open it and come in.  They must not have heard her, so she was halfway out of her chair when the door flew open.  Freezing, she didn’t know what to think or say. 

A happy greeting died on his lips, Chris was the same way.  His eyes traveled over her tired face and pale complexion, down her body, stopping on her stomach for a long while before taking in her swollen feet. 

“Well, I had planned to surprise you, but the surprise is all on me.”  Shutting the door behind him, Chris pushed aside his shock for the moment and moved into the kitchen, giving Beth a hug.  He was alarmed at how fragile she felt in his arms.  Up close he saw the deep circles under her eyes, how her body slumped with weariness, and the uniform shirt she wore. 

“Chris…what are you doing here?”

“I can’t stop to see one of my favorite people?”  Not for anything would he tell her that JC wasn’t willing to retrieve his own guitar and was having Chris pick it up for him. 

“So what does JC need of his that’s here?”  Her dry voice asked as she poured a glass of water for them both. 

Chris winced, he had forgotten how perceptive she had always been, apparently nothing had changed.  “Nah, I was in the area with the band and realized it had been so long since I had seen you so here I am…Why is it so cold in here?”  After shrugging off his jacket, he could feel the chill all the way to his bones. 

“I like it that way.”  She responded shortly, taking a drink of water. 

Not bothering to respond to that, Chris took a closer look around.  There were very few lights on, the house was freezing, and the fridge…was practically empty.  “Beth, what is going on here?”

“I don’t know what you mean.”  She avoided his eyes. 

“What are you eating?”  He demanded.

“Food!”

“Beth…I just want to help.  Tell me what you need.”  Chris pleaded with her.  He wasn’t sure what was going on, but wanted to get the picture. 

“I don’t need anything, we’re getting along just fine by ourselves.”  Her voice cracked on the last words as she caressed her belly automatically.

“Why didn’t JC tell me you were pregnant?  Why isn’t he here?” 

“He doesn’t know and you have to promise not to tell him.  Please Chris.”  Her tear filled eyes pleaded with him. 

“I promise, Beth, it’s going to be alright.”  He gathered her hands in his as she finally succumbed to the tears.

Waiting patiently for the storm to pass, he began to question his best friends wife.  “Beth, why is there no heat?”

“I can’t afford it!  After I caught JC in the hotel room with that…that woman, I came back here and hid for a while waiting for him to apologize.  He never did, then I went to the doctor for a cold and they told me I was pregnant.  I was going to tell JC, I really was when I got home, but I stopped at the pharmacy to get my prescription and they declined my credit cards.  I came home and discovered he had cancelled my cards and cleaned out our bank account.  I had $1000 to my name and a baby on the way.  What was I supposed to do, he doesn’t care anymore and I’m trying the best that I can.  I couldn’t find a full time job with benefits, so I’m working two part time jobs trying to save up enough money to pay for the hospital bills and a new baby.  I’m so tired.  But you have to promise me that you won’t tell JC.  He doesn’t want me any more and I don’t want him to take away my baby, please don’t tell JC!”  She pleaded once she finished her ramble.  It felt good, just to let someone know her side of the story. 

His blood boiling, he swallowed hard before he answered, trying to calm down.  “I promise, Beth, I won’t tell JC.”  What she didn’t know wouldn’t hurt her.  Once he got everything straightened out here, he was flying directly to JC to have a little chat.

“Have you had supper?” 

Sniffling, she shook her head no.

“Okay, then this is what we’re going to do.  You are going to go upstairs and soak in the tub to relax your muscles while I run out and grab us something for supper.  After that, you are going straight to bed.  Do you have to work tomorrow?” 

“No, it’s my day off from both.”

“Good,” Chris pulled Beth to her feet and sent her on her way as he left to pick up some supplies.  Once the door closed behind him, he clenched his fists and let the anger roll over him.  JC was supposed to be the responsible one.  What kind of man left his wife alone with no money.  Cracking his knuckles, Chris was almost excited at the little ‘chat’ he was going to have with his friend.

Chapter End Notes:
I've got part of the next chapter written, but not sure I'll get it posted this weekend.  I'll try my best!  Thanks for reading and don't forget to review!


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: daddyjc pregnant cheaterjc