Chris ran out and bought a few groceries, he didn’t want to be gone long.  He stocked up on fruits, vegetables, and meat.  With those supplies, Beth could create many meals.  He also bought a deli chicken and the sides for their supper.  Rushing through check-out, he was back to her house shortly. 

After he carried the groceries into the house and put them away, he called up the stairs for Beth to come eat.  Before she came downstairs, Chris snuck over to the thermostat and increased the temperature so it would be more comfortable for the baby. 

The meal between them was a silent affair, Beth trying not to fall asleep at the table and Chris trying to figure out what to say to JC.  Finally, Beth pushed back from the table and instructed Chris to just leave everything, she would get it in the morning. 

She embraced Chris hard, “Thank you for being here.  You’re the first person to actually listen.  I’m sorry for rambling.  I know you’re really close with JC, but please, please keep this to yourself.”

Chris leaned back, “Beth, you take care of yourself.  Anything you need, I’m just a phone call away.  I’m sorry I can’t stay longer, but I’ve got to get back to the band.  You take care of my niece or nephew in there alright?  Now get to bed, I’ll lock up.”

Beth smiled and headed upstairs to bed.  Chris watched her climb the stairs before he started cleaning up the table.  After putting the kitchen to rights, he pulled out his wallet and took out all the cash he had on him.  Mentally chewing himself out for not getting more cash while he was out, he stuck the money into her purse that was sitting on the counter. 

Looking around to see if there was anything else he could do, Chris again felt a surge of anger at JC.  What kind of man would put the woman he vowed to love and take care of forever would do this?

He was about to find out.      

***

JC was standing in the kitchen leaning on the counter as he sipped the drink in his hand.  Joey was digging in the refrigerator for something to eat when the front door slammed against the wall as it opened.  Hurried footsteps rushed through the house to the kitchen as JC and Joey looked at each other.  Only someone with the security code could get in so it must be someone JC knew. 

Chris rounded the corner in a fury.  JC straightened and turned his body toward his friend expecting to be handed his guitar.  JC looked around for his guitar as Chris approached him. 

“Hey man, where’s the guitar, I –”  He never saw the left hook that had him doubling over or the right hook immediately after that met his jaw.  He crashed down, his glass shattering over the tile floor, his hand coming up to make sure his jaw was still attached. 

“What the hell was that?”  Joey demanded as JC tried to stop the world from spinning.  Joey made his way from the fridge to stand between the two men, not sure what was going on. 

“That was because he is the lowest form of scum on this earth.  He doesn’t deserve to call himself a man.  You disgust me.”  Chris spat the words in revulsion. 

Slowly JC clamored to his feet, ready to fight.  With arms spread toward each man, Joey physically separated the two. 

“Dude, what the...?”  Stammering, JC rubbed his jaw soothingly.  

“How could you?”  Chris demanded.  

“How could I what?”  JC was really becoming mad now.  

“How could you do that to your wife?  Someone you supposedly loved more than life itself, to someone who loves you?  I can’t believe I ever called you a friend and a brother.  The man you used to be would have stepped up to the plate instead of walking all over her.”  With both arms straining, Joey was trying to keep Chris away from JC during his rant.

“What are you talking about?”

“I’m talking about the fact that you cleaned out the bank account you shared with her, you’re  forcing her to work two jobs just to afford heat and food, and...you walked out on her when she’s pregnant with your baby.”  Breathing hard now, Chris broke free from Joey as they both turned angry eyes on their stunned friend.

“What?”  Breathless now, he bent over to place his hands on his knees, the pain in his chest overtaking the pain that radiated through his jaw and stomach.  

“She’s never called...”  He tried to make excuses as he sucked in air.

“No, she wouldn’t, would she?  That’s not the kind of woman she is.  She made me promise not to tell you about it.  Afraid that you would only want the baby and not her.  She’s terrified that you will take the baby from her and leave since she has to work two jobs just to eat.  The only reason she’s eating is for the baby.  You are not the man I thought you were.  We’ve been telling you for months to call her or go see her, but you’re too stubborn, thinking she will come crawling back to you.  Well JC, it’s you who had better get on your hands and knees and go begging forgiveness before you lose the two best things that have ever happened to you.”

JC straightened as he pleaded, “How is she?  How far along is she?”

“How would you be in that situation?”  Chris took pity on him and answered shortly.  “Around six months.”

“Wait, you said I cleaned out the bank account.  I haven’t even touched that account.  There should be money deposited in there every month.”

“There’s not, she found out you closed it and cancelled her credit cards the day she found out she was pregnant with your baby – the day she was going to call you and tell you the news.  How can you not remember this?  You know what, I’m done.  I can’t stand to look at you anymore.”  Spinning on his heel, he left the same way he came.  

Joey simply shook his head, looking down at JC, before following Chris out silently, leaving JC all alone to deal with the problems he had created. 


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: daddyjc pregnant cheaterjc