Author's Chapter Notes:

I'm so sorry it's been awhile...between surgery, Vegas and family visit, it's been crazy around here. But, I finally got this chapter finished and have two more that are nearly complete. Hope to have more posted by the weekend! Thanks for your patience - and the reviews!

Chapter 4

"God. How much crap did you have out there?! I know your place wasn't that big!"

 

Heather shot her brother a glare as the movers brought in one more load of boxes. "Shut up. It's not a lot. Besides, all my furniture was either sold or put in storage." JC rolled his eyes as he surveyed the damage around his house. "Don't worry...it's not as much as it looks. Trust me."

 

"Whatever you say," he muttered as he headed to the living room, plopping down on the sofa and turning on the TV. It had been less than a week since Heather had dropped the bomb that she was moving, and he didn't know how she'd managed to get everything packed and shipped so quickly. He'd thought the move would be a lot worse...but she had managed to downsize well, which he appreciated since there was still limited space in his house. He had room for most of her stuff, but moving everything in would've made for a tight fit.

 

"I won't be here long, promise," Heather said as she sat down beside JC and nudged his shoulder.

 

"I like having you here. I don't mind at all. Just...all your shit is taking over my place. I'm afraid it's going to eat me alive." Heather rolled her eyes and smacked his arm before getting up and showing the movers where to put the last of the boxes. He sighed and settled back in the couch, letting the chaos of moving go on around him. He had an ABDC production meeting that afternoon, and he wanted to do nothing more than relax.

 

He was, however, glad to have someone else in his massive house. It'd been just him since he'd moved in a year ago, and it got rather lonely and quiet. With Heather around, at least there would be activity.

 

"Oh. By the way. Addison and Grace are coming by this afternoon!"

 

And random guests from his past.

 

JC groaned and rubbed his face roughly. He knew that Heather moving back meant he'd see Addison more, which he would have to deal with. He'd completely forgotten about Grace, though...he was pretty sure the girl hated him with every fiber of her being. He knew she'd been there for Addison post-split, and she'd seen the damage he'd done. Facing her would not be pleasant.

 

"Can't you guys just have dinner somewhere?" JC called to Heather, who was at the front door paying the movers.

 

"Nope! They’re going to help me unpack!" JC checked his watch as he sighed. Not even 11am, and meeting was due to start at 3. Maybe he could sneak out early and avoid the situation all together. He knew it was bitchass move, but he didn't care. JC still didn't know how to act around Addison. She had acted like she was fine with things, but he knew females; they were fine one minute and screaming the next. He knew he'd have to face her, but not right now. He wasn't ready. He wasn't ready for her to come to his home, either, but he couldn't help that. He could, however, help seeing them. He channel surfed as he plotted the timing of his escape and an excuse to leave before he needed to. He knew he was copping out, but at least his sanity would be safe.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Addison dragged her feet across the living room floor, chewing on her bottom lip nervously.

 

"You think if I tell Heather I ate some bad batter, she'll let me off the hook?"

 

"No! What the hell is wrong with you?! He probably won't even be there!" Heather had officially moved to LA, which meant she and Grace were expected to be there to help her unpack. It had been a tradition started when they'd graduated from college - they had always gotten together when one of them moved to a new place. She usually enjoyed the experience, but today, it was making her nauseous.

 

"You don't know that. He could be there the entire time." Grace popped her head out of her bathroom and glared.

 

"He's a busy man Addy. I'm sure he's got better things to do. Now, stop getting your panties in a wad and finish getting ready. We're leaving in 10." Addison inhaled deeply and steadied her emotions before heading back to her room to grab her white flats. She checked herself one more time in the mirror - she thought her white shorts and turquoise one-shoulder top were a safe wear - before heading back to the living room to wait on Grace. She took 15 minutes more than anticipated, which Addison was grateful for.

 

She wasn't sure why the thought of deliberately going to JC's place was so nerve-wracking. Ever since their encounter, she'd been on guard, looking everywhere for him. Now that he knew she was there, her senses had been heightened, and paranoia had been in full effect. Out of all her exes - and it wasn't like there had been many - he was the one she wanted to stay away from the most. And now, that would be next to impossible.

 

As they drove to Heather's new home, Addison stared out the window, trying to enjoy the ride and the scenery. She and Grace lived in the complete opposite direction of Heather and JC, and they rarely came out this way. Addison had to admit that the area was very nice, his neighborhood even nicer. She muttered a "wow" under her breath as they pulled up to his house. Well, mansion.

 

The gate leading up to it was open, allowing them to drive up to the house with no issues. The two-story, sprawling house was beautiful, the copper exterior appealing to Addison. She noticed the balcony on the second floor and that it probably overlooked the entire area, which had to be a breathtaking view. Her nerves settled as Grace put the car in park and unlocked the doors.

 

"Nice place," Grace muttered as they walked up to the front door. Before either could knock, the door swung open with a loud squeal.

 

"I'm so glad you guys are here!" Heather exclaimed as she threw her arms around the women. Addison chuckled as she returned the hug, now excited to be a part of their long-standing tradition. "Let me show you around! It's huge, isn't it?" Addison took in the interior, taking in the spacious living room with cream walls and black leather furniture. The shades of brown in the tile tied the room together, and Addison found herself wondering who had done the interior design. She hung back as Heather and Grace headed to the kitchen, Grace wondering aloud if JC had any ice cream she could "borrow".

 

The artwork caught Addison's eye, sparking her curiosity. She'd never seen it before, and she was sure JC had a mixture of artists on the walls. All of the pieces were appealing in their own way, and she silently commended JC on his good taste.

 

"I found them at an art gallery a few weeks ago." She jumped as she turned around quickly to face the voice. "New artists in the area. I try to change out my art every year or so." Addison smiled a little as JC walked up to her, keys and wallet in hand. He was in distressed blue jeans and a white graphc shirt, both simple but sexy on him. They fit his body perfectly, Addison noted appreciatively. Her heart began to race as she fisted her hands in her shorts pockets, her nerves fraying at the edges. Here she was, face to face with him again, and she felt the exact same way she did that summer.

 

She swallowed hard before she spoke again, praying her voice would come out stronger than she felt. "You've got an amazing home Josh. It's beautiful." His smile melted the edges of her heart - and bitterness she was still carrying, deep down inside - as he nodded his thanks. "You headed out?"

 

"Yeah. Figured I'd leave you girls to your tradition. Heather filled me in, and it's probably best I stay out of it." Addison laughed quietly as she looked down at her feet, her face turning hot. JC's eyes always got the best of her, even after all this time. "I should go. I'm sure I'll be seeing you around." She nodded as she looked back up, her eyes locking on JC's baby blues. "You...you look great Ads. It's good to see you again." Before she could respond, JC threw her one last brilliant smile and walked out, shutting the door quietly behind him.

 

Addison sighed heavily and closed her eyes to steady her heart. Why, why, why did he still have that effect on her? He'd chosen someone else over her, which meant anything she felt for him should be gone. Long gone.

 

"Addy! Get in here! We're popping open the wine!" Addison snapped out of her trance at the sound of Heather's voice, huffing at the fact that JC had gotten to her yet again. She put on a smile as she headed to the kitchen, determined to have a good time. She knew wine would help get the party started - and get her mind back on track.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"So, we roll out in three weeks. New York, Chicago, Houston and back here. We're finalizing travel and hotel today and should have them ready tomorrow." JC finished jotting down notes as the producer moved on to the next item of business, mentally reminding himself to make sure his assistant had cleared his calendar. While he was excited for another season, the prospect of traveling for two weeks straight wasn't all that appealing. He knew he'd feel differently once auditions began, but until he got to that point, he'd dread the trip.

 

As the other members of the production staff filled them in on the audition process - more so for the new judge joining the crew, a member of a previous season's winner - JC let his mind wander to the very brief encounter he'd had with Addison. He was relieved that things weren't entirely awkward between them and that he hadn't seen Grace. He wasn't ready to deal with the attitude he knew he'd get from her, especially since a phone call had kept him at home longer than anticipated and thwarted his plans for an early escape.

 

He also had to admit that she looked cute - OK, hot - in those shorts and that shirt. He wasn't sure why his mind kept wandering to her looks...maybe it was because she had changed and stayed the same, all at once. Addison still had the same smile, same twinkle in her eye...but she had more confidence, she'd lost a few pounds - not like she'd been fat before, but the weight change was noticeable to him - and she dressed sexier than before. That last one really got him; their lone summer together involved a whole lot of Addison wearing jeans and t-shirts. Seeing her in cutoff shorts and a one-shoulder top had nearly driven him insane.

 

The producer shuffling papers around forced him to re-focus on what was going on around him. The last thing he needed was to drift off and get caught. He concentrated on the show for the next 1.5 hours, which was how long the meeting lasted. He was grateful to get out when he did; his stomach had started to rumble, reminding him that he hadn't really eaten since breakfast. Remembering that he had leftover Chinese waiting on him, he skipped grabbing something else and headed straight home, his mind spinning with work stuff. He spent the ride going over schedules, audition notes and production schedules, hoping he could balance it all out with his own music production schedule. He had taken a break from producing for a few months but was now back at it, and he had a handful of artists ready to work with him.

 

He'd also been considering throwing a party for Heather to properly welcome her to LA. He'd invite some friends and co-workers, introduce her to some people, maybe take her out to some clubs...he just wanted to make her feel welcome in her new town. Of course, he had no idea how he'd pull it off, but he'd figure it out. He thought a week would be plenty of time to put something quick together - it didn't need to be fancy, but it didn't need to be poorly planned, either. JC made another mental note to ask his assistant about party planners at their meeting the next day.

 

When JC pulled up to his house, he noticed the car - wasn't sure if it was Addison's or Grace's - was still there, which surprised him. He'd been gone for the better part of four hours, and he'd expected them to be gone by then. He mentally prepared himself for any sort of randomness that could occur when he headed inside, shutting the heavy oak door quietly as he surveyed the place. All was quiet on the first floor, which meant the women were upstairs. Relishing in that fact, he headed to the kitchen to warm up his food, grabbing his iPad from the coffee table in the living room on the way to go over his full schedule. As his food was finishing heating up, he heard giggling and footsteps coming down the stairs, a signal the girls were done. JC considered sneaking out to the backyard but instead pretended to be busy fiddling on his iPad as the giggling approached.

 

"That was so fun!" he heard Grace exclaim as they walked into the kitchen, empty wine glasses in hand. "Next time though, we invite boys. That would've made it more fun." JC rolled his eyes as the girls caught sight of him, Grace's smile turning sour. "Oh. Hi JC. Didn't know you were back." He could hear the attitude in her voice, which heightened his own attitude towards her.

 

"Well, this is my house. Didn't know I need to announce my arrival."

 

"Would've been nice," Grace retorted, folding her arms and leaning against the nearest counter. JC shot her a glare as Heather stepped in.

 

"OK you two. Chill out. They were just leaving. Honestly Grace, I don't know what your issue is with Jace." He smiled sweetly at her, causing her to huff and stomp away. Heather went after her, leaving Addison and JC alone. Again. Addison cleared her throat as she leaned against the couter across from where he was sitting.

 

"China Moon. Good call." JC raised his eyebrows, confused at how she knew what he was eating. "I saw the containers on the counter. It's my favorite Chinese place in town." He chucked and nodded in agreement. He wasn't surprised she'd found the best Chinese takeout place in town; she loved Chinese food as much as he did.

 

"So how's the business going?" he asked, genuinely curious about it and wanting to talk about something before the room fell into an awkward silence. She just shrugged.

 

"Busy. Couple of catering events coming up, helping my partner plan some parties soon, coming up with fall cupcakes...I love it though. And people love us, which is even better."

 

"That's awesome Addison. I'm really happy for you." Her smile made his heart race, just like it had back then. He sucked in a breath as discreetly as he could, trying not to make it obvious that she still affected him. JC could feel the awkward silence coming on as they stared at each other, but Heather's voice yelling from another room cut in.

 

"Addy, let's go! Sushi awaits!" Addison broke the stare and blinked twice before smiling slightly. She pointed her thumb in the direction of the front door as she pushed herself away from the counter.

 

"Guess that's my cue. See ya later." Addison left without a second glance. JC inhaled and exhaled deeply, steadying his nerves before going back to his food. He wasn't sure if this whole "your sister's moving in with you, so her best friend/the ex that you pushed away is back in your life with little warning" was good, bad or both.

 

"Probably both," he muttered as he took a bite of broccoli beef. "No. Definitely both."

Chapter End Notes:
I know it's still kind of developing...this one is more of a filler chapter. In the next couple of chapters, more about their past - and hints at their future - will play out. :)


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: presync postsync originalcharacter jc producerjc