Author's Chapter Notes:

Holy cow. Haven't had a computer since my last update - so sorry! I have, however, been writing ahead, so I've got the next few chapters wrapped. I'll post throughout the rest of this week and weekend.

This one's a little on the short side, but the next chapter will be up later today.

Addison watched JC drive away, blinking back tears as she lost sight of his car. She didn't know why she'd asked that question - it had just slipped out. Among the many things she'd thought about post-breakup was if she'd been worth it, if Bobbi had really been better than her. JC's answer made her feel better - and worse.

If JC had known that Addison was the better choice, why had he not come back to her? Addison hated to admit it, but she'd waited for him for months to change his mind. But the more she saw pictures of Bobbi and JC - and then pictures of JC and other girls, all famous and prettier than her - the more she regretted the time they had together. She tried not to be the bitter ex on the outside, but on the inside, she felt that way for a year before she finally let it go.

She found herself reflecting on what they'd had, thinking way back to the first day she met him, which was the day she had moved into the dorms at Yale. She knew who JC was from the MMC days - and had wondered to herself if Heather Chasez was THE JC Chasez's sister - but she didn't dwell on it too much. When Addison actually met JC as he carried boxes into the girls' shared dorm, it was crush at first sight. She never saw JC that often because he was always traveling, especially after *N Sync formed, but they did exchange phone calls often. She got to know him that way, got close to him.

It wasn't until she and Heather had graduated with their MBAs, and JC had unexpectedly shown up at their joint graduation party, that she realized the crush was more serious than she'd originally thought. She and Heather spent that summer traveling with the guys, and JC and Addison had somehow managed to hold a summer romance with no one knowing. Well, at least no one said anything if they did know. Addison hated that they were such a secret - which should've been her first flag - but she was so into JC that she didn't care that they snuck around after shows, made excuses to ride the same bus, made sure she had a separate hotel room so JC could stay with her. By the time the summer and tour were ending, she'd all but convinced herself she was in love with him.

Then one unsuspecting morning, it was all over. JC never gave a legitimate excuse why he was ending it...he just pulled her aside, said he couldn't keep seeing her and walked away. Just like that, her heart was ripped into a million pieces, and she made it her mission to pretend JC never existed. She and Heather remained best friends, seeing each other several times a year...but JC was never mentioned, and Addison never visited while JC was around. Addison had even gone as far as staying away from LA and Orlando, places she knew JC had homes; but when Addison decided to go to culinary school and got into one of the best ones in LA, she sucked it up and moved. She'd been just fine living in the same city as him for three years without him knowing - why couldn't it still be that way?

Addison inhaled and exhaled deeply, then made her way from the sidewalk to a bench in front of the shop. She was an emotional wreck at that moment and hadn't felt that unstable since JC had walked away ten years ago. She hated herself for not blocking him out, for letting her girly emotions get the best of her and open up towards him. She'd only seen him a handful of times and already felt like she was losing her mind - just like before.

She sat on the bench for a few minutes, taking time to calm down and push the encounter behind her. If she was going to get through the busy day, the last thing she needed was this situation hanging over her head. When she felt confident that she'd pushed past it, she put a smile on her face and walked back into the shop, jumping back into icing as soon as she hit the kitchen. Her phone buzzed in her pocket as she was finishing up.

Josh is going to pay to have your car moved to the shop - I found your keys in my purse when I got to work. Thought it'd be easier than driving back out our way to get it. Hope you don't mind.

Addison sighed with relief as she re-read the message from Heather. Now, she wouldn't have to face him twice in the same day, which was a good thing. Addison didn't trust her emotions enough to deal with him again. She sighed heavily as she replied to the message.

Thanks for that. I'm here until 8, so swing it by whenever. I owe you one!

Addison slid her phone back into the back pocket of her jeans before going back to work. As she boxed up the cupcakes, she made up her mind: she was getting too close to JC again. She needed to cut him back out, before it was too late. It'd be easier said than done now that Heather was living with him for the forseeable future, but Addison knew that, at the moment, the only way to keep things in check was to just avoid the situation all together and revisit it when she was ready.

Giving herself a determined nod, she left her station and popped her head into the office she and Miranda shared. She found her co-owner sitting at the main desk, organizing invoices and receipts. "Hey Addy! So - fill me in. What are you doing for the party JC wants to throw?" Addison sat down across from Miranda and took in a deep breath. She knew what she was about to do could confuse him – and piss him off – but it was for her own good.

"About that..."

Chapter End Notes:

Thanks to those who have stayed with it so far! 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: presync postsync originalcharacter jc producerjc