Author's Chapter Notes:
So, I wrote ahead...re-read what I wrote...and completely changed it up. I'm at a work conference right now but hope to get the next two chapters wrapped up soon. Thanks for sticking with me!
JC took a look around the back yard, pleased with what had been done with it. He'd let Chase have free reign over the party, and he'd done an amazing job. It looked just like what they had talked about: white lanterns strung across the yard, rented red couches situated around the pool, a food tent where a local taco truck had set up shop, DJ booth in the corner spinning tunes - it was all there and looked awesome

JC still couldn't believe they'd pulled it off in less than a work week. They'd had to pull some strings to get it all handled, but they'd done it. And, with some of Heather's new coworkers bringing her to the house when the party started - and swearing to keep her busy and not let her come home early - it was bound to go off without a hitch.

As he scanned the yard again from his back door, he noticed someone walking in carrying what looked like cake boxes. He felt his stomach turn in knots as he watched the person walk in and talk to Chase, who was in charge of the set-up. When he saw that the person who had delivered the cupcakes was someone from the shop Chase had found at the last minute, his heart fell just a little. He was hoping Addison would change her mind and be the one to drop off the cupcakes, even after he'd gotten a short call from Addison saying she couldn’t do it. He knew he needed to talk to her, wanted to talk to her – but she was clearly avoiding him, and there was nothing he could do about that.

JC stepped back into the house and checked the time, noting it was already nearing 6pm. Guests were slated to start arriving at 6:30, with Heather making her grand entrance around 7. If he was going to be there to greet people, he needed to get changed out of his basketball shorts and tank top soon. He took one last glance at the rising cupcake tower, sighing. At least the cupcakes had made it to the party, even if it was obvious Addison wouldn't be - a fact he tried to be OK with as he headed to his room.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“You can still go, you know. I think you should go.”

“You’re kidding me, right? I told Josh I couldn’t make the cupcakes for his sister’s fucking party. His sister, who happens to be my best friend, won’t get cupcakes because of the awkwardness. And I’m supposed to just show up like nothing’s going on?” Grace shot Addison a look as she adjusted her pearl necklace.

“Stop eating that ice cream – it’s making you dramatic. You can still go Addy. This is Heather we’re talking about.” Addison sighed as she stuck another spoonful of ice cream in her mouth. She knew that Grace was right – she could still go if she wanted – but how was she supposed to function in an environment that was destined to be weird?

“I know. And I’ll make it up to her some other time. But I just…I can’t.” Grace huffed but didn’t say anything as she adjusted her blue halter. “I’ll call her when the party’s done.” Grace gave herself one last look in the hallway mirror before grabbing her keys from the table under the mirror.

“You’d better. I’m not covering for your ass and making up some lame excuse as to why you’re not there.” Addison stuck her tongue out at Grace as she turned and left the house for Heather’s party. She sighed and settled deeper into the couch, flipping through channels as she continued to consume Ben and Jerry’s with abandon.

“How is it that we have 50 million channels and nothing is on?” she muttered grumpily as she tried not to think about the party. She felt horrible for not attending the surprise bash, but she just couldn’t do it. She’d canceled the cupcakes for crying out loud – how was she supposed to show up now without a legitimate excuse as to why she’d bailed?

Grace had told her, rather shortly, that cupcakes were cupcakes and they wouldn’t matter at the end of the day. What did matter was that Addison was putting her insecurities about JC ahead of her best friend, which was “stupid, selfish and childish,” apparently. Grace’s words did little to settle Addison’s nerves or change her mind, so here she was. Alone on a Friday night with Ben and Jerry as her only companions.

“And, apparently, the Golden Girls,” she said out loud as she turned to a marathon of one of her favorite shows. She sat on the couch for the next hour, eating through the entire pint and laughing through two episodes. She almost forgot how pathetic it was that she was drowning her insecurities in such a manner when her phone buzzed from the corner of the couch. She groaned as she saw Heather’s number light up, debating about sending it to voicemail.

“I was wondering if you’d pick up!” Heather sounded happy. Very happy. Addison couldn’t tell if it was alcohol or surprise that made her sound that giddy, but she decided not to ask. “Where are you?!”

“Oh, you know…at home, hanging out…” She knew that sounded stupid, but that was the best she could come up with at the moment.

“Why aren’t you here?! Look, I know you didn’t have time to make the cupcakes, and that’s fine. That doesn’t mean you have to skip out on my bash!” As voices yelled in the background and Heather laughed at something, Addison’s mind went into a tailspin. JC had told Heather she was too busy? Seriously?

“I just…I…” Addison stammered, not sure what to say.

“Stop making excuses and just come! It’ll be fun, I promise!” Addison knew she now had no excuse – JC had stepped in and made things all better on the surface, which left Addison stuck in a corner. She huffed as she forced herself off the couch and to her bedroom.

“Fine. I’m on my way.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Addison sat in her car, staring at the house and trying to calm her heart down. She could hear the music going in the back yard and see all the cars parked up and down the street, a sign the party was a success. She saw more people walking in and didn't want someone to think she was some sort of stalker paparazzo staking out for TMZ, so she got out of her car and headed to the party. She sucked in a deep breath as she neared the gate to the back yard, willing herself not to chicken out. As she stepped inside, she looked around and couldn't help the smile that crept up.

The party looked amazing. She could smell the tacos from across the yard, her stomach grumbling in response. The area looked just as she'd envisioned when JC had described it, the red couches popping against the white carpet laid under them and the white lanterns strewn across the yard. With the sun already setting, the white lights from the various lamps and landscape lighting made the area look even better. Glamorous. Just like Heather.

"You made it!" Heather's squeal - then the click of her heels across the pavement as she ran to give Addison a hug - snapped Addison back to attention. She smiled as she returned the hug, noting that Heather already had the sweet smell of mixed drinks on her. "Didn't Josh do an awesome job?! I was totally surprised!"

Addison tried not to force her smile as she nodded. "He did. I'm surprised. He and Chase put together one hell of a welcome party, that's for sure." Before Addison could say anything else, a guy - and probable admirer - pulled Heather away and back to the bar area. Addison rolled her eyes and chuckled as she scanned the area for Grace, one of the few familiar faces she knew would be there. But when her eyes landed on JC, who was standing poolside entertaining a petite brunette with a short dress and wide smile, she froze. Before she could look away, his eyes caught sight of her and went wide, then he turned away. Addison breathed a sigh of relief but then cursed under her breath as she watched JC excuse himself from the brunette and walk towards her. She caught the brunette's fiery stare and simply smiled as JC walked up to her.

“Surprised to see you here.” His voice was even with a little bit of an edge to it. Addison gave him a weak shrug.

“Heather called and told me I had to be here. Can’t deny the center of the party, right?” she said with a light chuckle that quickly faded out. She looked up at JC, who had looked away and was nursing his beer. Addison swallowed hard before continuing. “I’m gonna go get some food,” she said quickly as she turned on her heels to walk towards the food table. JC’s hand on her arm stopped her.

“I don’t like that you’re avoiding me Addison.” Well. Way to address the white elephant in the room – just get straight to the point and get it over with. “I know things are weird, but you didn’t have to skip out on the party just because of what’s going on between us.” She narrowed her eyes as she slipped out of his grip.

“First of all, nothing’s going on with us. Second of all, I’m not avoiding you.”

“Whatever you say,” he muttered as he stepped away. “Help yourself to some food. Let me know if you need anything.” With that, JC turned and walked away from Addison, leaving her in the middle of the party alone. She stared after him, her heart in knots, as he went back to the petite brunette and laughed. She narrowed her eyes and headed to the food tent in the opposite direction of JC, glad for a distraction.

As Addison walked up to the food tent and looked at the various choices, she dared a look back in JC’s direction. He was still talking to the mystery girl, but their eyes caught and held. She shook her head slightly and looked away quickly, a little flustered. She reminded herself that she was there for Heather and nothing else; her issues with JC would just have to be tossed aside for the moment.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
JC spent the next two hours mingling and meeting people, playing the ever-social host. A lot of people he’d invited had been Heather’s friends he’d never met, so to be able to put names and faces together was fun for him. But, even though he kept his distance, he kept finding himself seeking out Addison to make sure she was still around.

He was more than surprised to see her there, especially with the whole cupcake situation. At the end of the day, JC didn’t care about those; what was important was that she was there for Heather, which was why had established the little white lie that Addison had been too busy to make the cupcakes on short notice. Still though…it was weird for him to have her there.

As he made the rounds, he kept one eye subconsciously on Addison. He noticed her move from Heather’s group to Grace’s solitary corner to the food table. He noticed her drink a couple of beers, chat with some of Heathers friends, check her phone…he didn’t mean to seem so stalkerish. It was like a radar was attached to him that followed Addison wherever she went. He chalked it up to him wanting to be sure she was OK at all times, which is what any good host would do.

And yet, he couldn’t work up the nerve to go talk to her. He knew they needed to talk, clear the air, make things less awkward. But he just didn’t have the guts to do it – every time he thought about walking over there, his palms got sweaty and his heart started racing, and he’d chicken out. He wasn’t even sure if Addison wanted to talk to him, so what was the sense in trying to strike up a conversation with her if he wasn’t sure she wanted to?

He tried hard to push her out of his mind as he came up to a group of friends who were leaving the party. It was after 10pm, and the party was moving to a nearby club where a VIP section had been reserved. After turning the guys’ invite to join them down, along with suffering through light jabbing at how he really was old if he didn’t want to go out for even just a little while, he showed the guys out with a wave. He stood at the gate to the back yard, scanning the area. He saw The Three Her-sketeers – a nickname he’d come up with for the trio ages ago – gathered by the bar, finishing their drinks. He inhaled deeply and started in their direction, determined to break the ice.

“Awesome party bro!” Heather squealed as he walked up to them, Jello shot in one hand and her new-found man puppy standing behind her. That guy had been following her all night…oh, if only he knew he didn’t really have a chance with his sister…

“Thanks,” JC said with a smile as Addison and Grace looked his direction. Grace rolled her eyes and looked away, which made JC narrow his eyes at her. Addison looked away sheepishly as some random guy JC had seen floating around the party walked up to Addison.

“You sure you don’t want to join us?” the guy asked Addison, flashing a flirtatious smile. JC felt his blood start to run hot as he watched the exchange silently from a few feet away. “It’ll be fun, I promise.” He saw Addison smile but shake her head.

“No…I have an early day for work tomorrow. But maybe next time?”

“I’m sure there will be a next time,” the guy said suggestively as he flashed one more smile and walked away. Addison looked back at him at that moment, and he willed himself to keep his mouth shut as Heather and Grace gathered their purses from the make-shift bar counter.

“Addy, are you sure you won’t go?” Heather pleaded as she stumbled off her stool. “It’ll only be for a bit!”

“Heather, it’s already after 10. I have to be up at 6, and we’re not in college anymore – I can’t work all day off of a few hours of sleep.” Heather pouted but didn’t say anything else to Addison.

“Are you going?” she asked JC. He simply shook his head.

“Gotta get this shit cleaned up sis. You guys go ahead, and call me if you need a DD.”

“No DD – I booked a limo earlier this week to come get us and tote us around. I just need to get my keys…” Heather tried to move from her stool but fell backwards instead, her man puppy catching her as she squealed and laughed. JC groaned as he helped man puppy get Heather upright.

"Maybe you should stay here..." JC started.

"I've got her. Promise," Grace cut in, nudging JC out of the way. "Just give me a house key so I can get her ass inside." JC dug into his pocket and pulled out his keys, removing the house one and handing it to Grace.

"I give you permission to cut her off and drag her home whenever you see fit." Grace nodded as she and man puppy - JC really needed to learn his name - helped Heather to the limo. Her drunken laugh rang across the empty back yard as JC turned his attention to Addison, who was playing with a drink umbrella.

"It was a great party." Addison's voice was soft, but JC heard her loud and clear.

"I didn't expect to see you witness it," JC responded, grabbing the stool nearest Addison and sitting down. "But I guess if you'd stayed home, you wouldn't have met your new boyfriend." Addison shot him a look out the corner of her eye.

"Don't be a smartass Josh. It's not very becoming right now."

"I'm just callin' it like it is Ads." JC was surprised he sounded as bitter as he did. "That boy would've been all over you if you'd just said the word." She turned on her stool to face him, her eyes narrowed and jaw set.

"One, your sarcasm isn't needed or appreciated. Two, even if we were dating or whatever, it'd be none of your business anyway."

"So you're dating him then?" He could almost see steam coming from her ears, which meant he was pushing her buttons. His irritation with her backing out of the cupcakes - even though he really didn't have a reason to be mad about that - was starting to come to the surface, and he was struggling to keep it in check.

"God Josh - I don't even know him! What is your deal?! You know what - forget it. I don't want to know." She tossed a couple of dollars in the tip jar on the bar and stood up quickly, huffing as she made a move to leave. JC reached out and grabbed her arm, which got him another venomous look.

"Leaving so soon?"

"Don't play innocent with me Josh. See, this is exactly why I didn't want to come - I knew it'd be awkward. What I didn't expect was for you to turn into an ass."

"Why would it be awkward?" JC was definitely trying to play innocent, but he knew Addison could see through him. Her eye roll confirmed that suspicion.

"You're kidding, right? After what happened the other day, then me backing out - "

"Yeah, about that. The bullshit reason I got won’t cut it – ”

“Excuse me?! Bullshit reason?! What the hell is that supposed to mean?!”

“You know what it means Addison. I don’t buy it for a second. ‘Too busy’?” JC put the last two words in exaggerated finger quotes for emphasis, his temper now dangerously close to exploding. “Come on. We both know damn well you backed out because of what I said to you the other day. And that’s stupid.” JC had definitely set Addison off now; her cheeks were red, and her hands were balled into fists at her side.

“Joshua Scott Chasez.” Yup – he’d definitely struck a nerve. She only said his full name when she was pissed. “Who the fuck do you think you are, telling me that my reasoning is stupid? For your fucking information, I did not ask for Heather to move here. I did not ask for your whack ass to come back into my life. But now that you are, I’m trying to do the best that I fucking can to keep my emotions in check and not slap the shit out of you for the way you treated me all those years ago.” JC raised an eyebrow and crossed his arms over his chest.

“I think that’s the most swear words I’ve heard you say in one sentence. I’m impressed.” Addison threw her arms up in the air and gave an exasperated huff before turning on her heels and storming towards the gate. “Addison! Wait!” JC called after her as he got up and chased her across the yard, catching up in seconds.

“Get away from me,” she snarled through clenched teeth, her eyes set on the exit she was quickly coming upon. JC dared to grab her arm and spin her around to face him, stopping her in her tracks and getting him another pissed look.

“Look. I’m sorry I said your reasoning was bullshit. And I’m sorry if what I said made you uncomfortable the other day. But what, did you want me to lie to you?”

“No. But it's got me all sorts of..." Her voice faded out as she inhaled deeply and closed her eyes. "This was a bad idea Josh, I've gotta go." Addison yanked her arm out of JC’s grasp and turned on her heels, walking quickly to the back door and leaving the yard. JC stood in his spot for a few moments, watching the trail she’od walked, thinking. He wasn’t quite sure how to react to that…but he now had an idea about what was bugging her.

"Shit," he muttered under his breath, rubbing his head in frustration. If things were going to be even between him and Addison again, he'd need to talk to her. And soon.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Addison threw her keys and purse on the couch and began walking circles around the coffee table, still heated. The half hour drive home did nothing to calm her temper – it just gave her time to think and get more pissed about the situation.

She hadn’t expected to react the way she had. Hell, she wasn’t quite sure what she expected when she decided to go to the party instead of stay away. She should’ve just stayed away; if she had, she wouldn’t be circling the damn coffee table.

“This is stupid,” she muttered to herself as she abandoned her circling and went to her room to change into her pajamas. If she was going to be mad, at least she’d be comfortable. As she changed, she thought about the encounter and how it hadn’t played out at all like she’d thought.

In the years since Addison and JC had stopped talking, she always thought about what she’d ask if she got the chance. Why did he choose her? What made her special? Had he cheated on her with Bobbi? Tonight, she’d had that chance – she’d had JC’s undivided attention after the party had cleared, and she could’ve aired it all out. Instead, her temper had taken over and completely shut everything down. Instead of getting answers, she left with more questions. Worst of all, she’d left regretting she’d even come to the party, which was something she didn’t want to feel when it came down to a party for someone she truly cared about.

Addison sighed heavily as she trudged to the bathroom to wash the make-up off and brush her teeth. She knew she should head to bed soon, even if she was bound to toss and turn due to thinking the whole night over in her head. If she’d stuck with her head and not gone to the party, she wouldn’t be in this situation right now. Well, both of them wouldn’t be in this situation right now.

She could tell that JC was pissed off, too. The whole cupcake thing had clearly struck a nerve with him, but Addison didn’t get why he was making such a big deal out of it. Well, she knew why – she’d chosen an argument over her best friend, which really wasn’t smart. But the fact that JC thought he could say what he did to her and not expect her back out was ridiculous. She spent years thinking Bobbi was much better than her, but come to find out, she wasn’t…?

“Stop. Thinking.” Addison said it forcefully as she looked at herself in the bathroom mirror, wanting her brain to drop the whole situation and just forget about it. Her phone chiming in her purse on the bed broke her thoughts temporarily as Addison rushed to get it, thinking it could be Grace. A text from an unfamiliar number greeted her.

It’s Josh. We need to talk about…this. Over dinner or something. I think that’s the only way we’ll move past all this.

Addison lowered herself to her bed, shocked. How had he gotten her number? Did he seriously want to talk it out? Addison stared at the message for a few moments, not quite sure how to respond. Should she respond? Or should she just leave it alone? Knowing she couldn’t just let it go, she typed a quick reply and hit “Send” before she could change her mind.

I agree. Are you sure you want to meet for dinner?

A few seconds later, she got a text back.

Yes. I do. We need to talk to this out in person, adult to adult. Are you free Wednesday?

Addison did a mental check of her calendar as she pulled it up on her phone. Her calendar was free of baking and personal obligations that day, Addison noted nervously. That meant she had no reason to turn down his dinner offer – date – whatever. But should she do it? She chewed on her bottom lip as she typed a response.

I’m free. I’m guessing dinner that night would work for you?

It would. You just pick the place and tell me the name. I’ll meet you there whenever works for you.

Addison texted him the first place that came to mind – a sushi place that she’d recently discovered and fallen in love with. When JC responded with an “I know that place, let’s meet at 6,” Addison’s heart began to race. What was she getting herself into? Did she really want to do this?

“It’s just dinner,” she said with finality as she wrapped the text conversation with JC and set her phone aside. “Everything will get aired out, and everything will be fine.”

Right?



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: presync postsync originalcharacter jc producerjc