Story Notes:

The lyrics are from Chris Perez's song, 'Best I Can'.

This story is sooo late but life is unpredictable and gets in the way sometimes and I'm sorry! But here it is, my AwesomeAugust entry :)) I did the best I can. (haha) Hope all you readers enjoy!

For those of you who're fans of a Daddy!JC story, I hope you enjoy. No plagiarism in any way is intended. I do not own JC nor do I know him.

:)) 

The italics are flashbacks and the regular font takes place in 2007. (a year later from the flashbacks which are in 2006) 

Author's Chapter Notes:
Here we go... I hope you enjoy :)) 

20th March 2006

"Hey buddy," JC greeted his son as he scooped up the brown haired, blue eyed three year old into his arms, backpack and all. "How was school today?"

"Good," the child nodded with an excited grin, an arm around JC's neck. "I paint you and mommy and me,"

JC smiled. "So you painted a picture huh? Where is it?"

"Right here Mr. Chasez," a petite brunette in a jeans and lime green t-shirt, possibly in her mid-thirties, quickly walked out to where the father and son stood outside the building. "He left it to dry an hour ago," she explained, smoothing back her hair that was held together in a tight ponytail.

"See!" the child's face lit up, taking the picture and holding it out for JC to see. "Dats you," he pointed to a stick figure to the far side of the page painted in blue. The figure's hand was attached to a smaller stick figure painted in green and another painted in red. "Me, and dat's mommy."

"Well aren't you a little artist." JC grinned, taking the paper in his free hand and turning his attention back to the woman. "Thank you for staying back the extra half hour with him. My wife usually picks him up but she called me  saying that she got caught up with something at home and then I was caught up at the recording studio and couldn't get through to anyone I trust enough to pick him up. He wasn't too much trouble was he?"

The brunette giggled and shook her head. "Not at all, don't worry. Ian's an awesome kid. We had fun, didn't we Ian?"

"I play hide go seek wif Ms. Ginger," the child beamed.

"Ms. Granger," JC corrected and then turned back to the teacher. "Again, thank you for staying with him Susanne."

"No problem Mr. Chasez," she smiled. "I'm glad I got to see you today though. I usually just see Jess when she drops him off and picks him up so it's nice to see you again."

 "Yea, she's the one that usually takes care of the drop and pick up arrangements unless things like this happen and then I do it."

"Well it was a good reminder to see where Ian gets his wonderful blue those eyes from,"

JC smiled sheepishly. "Uh, yea. Thanks,"

"Snack," Ian mumbled into his father's ear, his little stomach grumbling softly. Usually, by this time he was at home being fed his after preschool snack that held him before dinner time.

"Alright, let's get you home so you can eat bud,"

"I can just go get something from the fridge inside if you need me too," Ms. Granger offered to JC, who just shook his head.

"No need for that, don't worry. If anything I'll just stop and get something and besides, his mom probably already has something waiting for him at home so it's quite fine."

"Okay,"

"Alright, we should get going now," JC announced. "Thank you though,"

"No problem," She nodded. "See you tomorrow Ian," she smiled.

"Bye bye bye," the child grinned. JC just sighed and rolled his eyes.

"He heard it on the radio one day last week and recognized my voice," JC explained.

 "That's fine," she laughed. "I'll see you soon,"

"Have a good day Ms. Granger," JC turned around as his son waved goodbye to his teacher.

Getting to the car, JC put the child in the backseat and strapped on his seatbelt before getting into the driver's seat and resting the picture on the passenger seat beside him. He heaved a sigh as he looked at the time on his watch.

It was 3:30 and he'd promised the guys back at the studio he'd be back to recording by 3:15. He'd had to run away when he'd gotten a voicemail on his phone from his Jess asking to pick up their son because she was ‘busy' at home. He found it odd that she was suddenly ‘busy' and even more odd that she wouldn't answer her phone. Although, he knew that even if he had gotten through to her, it was easier to just do as she simply asked than to question her. Not that she was like the dragon lady in their marriage though. She was one of the softest spoken, caring and gentle human beings JC had ever met and those were the exact characteristics that drew her toward him when they first met. But when she did ask for something of her request, which was rare, he felt bad not agreeing.

"Daddy okay?" Ian asked innocently from the backseat, sipping on a juice box he had in his small lunch box. Jess always insisted on packing an extra in case he got thirsty later on in the day or if he spilled the first one she packed.

JC turned his head and nodded with a smile. "Yea, daddy's just a little tired, that's all."

"Bad day?"

Turning on the engine and putting the car into gear, JC chuckled at his son's inquisition. Easing onto the road, he replied. "No, just hectic."

"Wha does hec-tic mean?"

"It means that daddy had a lot of work to do today."

"Oh," the blue eyed child nodded in understanding as he continued to sip his on the juice.

"Any more questions buddy?" JC smiled, looking at his son through the rear view mirror.

Not surprisingly, Ian nodded. "Where's mommy today?"

JC frowned. "I, well, I think she's at home..."

"She busy?"

"Maybe... I'm not sure,"

"Think she'll let me have cereal for dinner?" Ian asked. "I want Cappin Crunch tonight."

"You've been hanging around Uncle Justin too much," JC laughed, pulling into the parking lot of a grocery store. He was already running late and he figured that it wasn't like anything major could be done on his record without him there, so he decided to take a stop by the store and pick up a couple things. "What'd you say we get you a snack or two since you're hungry and pick up some things for mommy while we're here? We can see if the store has some flowers."

Spending a little more than ten minutes inside, JC walked out with a bouquet of tulips, his wife's favorite, a plastic bag containing a handful of groceries their fridge ran out of and Ian munched on a pack of Chips Ahoy in hand.

Another ten minutes later, he pulled into his driveway. Looking to his right, he noticed his silver SUV in park. He knew that his wife was home, since that was the car she drove whenever JC had the Mercedes or the Jeep, which was also in park.

Opening the car door to let Ian out, the child bounced past JC and stood patiently on the porch as he waited for his father to unlock the front door. Opening the door, Ian ran in and JC smiled as he walked inside. He smelt pizza and the aroma of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies diffused through the air.

"Mommy!" Ian called out loudly from the foyer. "Mommy!"

A slender woman, 5 ft. 6 with shoulder length layered caramel brown hair walked in slowly, a small but tired smile on her face. She wore a blue sundress, one of JC's favorites, and stooped down to embrace her son in a tight hug.

"Hey honey," she said softly, kissing his head before letting him go and standing back up when JC walked up closer to them. "How was your day today?"

"He painted us a picture," JC smiled, handing her the painting. His smile soon dissolved into a frown when he noticed that her face was pale, eyes a little red and her hands a little shaky. Seeing that Ian still had a grin on his face as his parents admired his picture, JC kept quiet.

"Wow," she smiled down at her son weakly. "We're going to have to frame this one sweetheart, or we can stick it up on the fridge. What'd you say?"

"Yay!" the three year old grinned, doing a little jump which made his parents chuckle. Although JC noticed that Jess' laugh was a little less enthusiastic from what it usually sounded like.

Sensing that something was wrong, he turned his focus back to his son. "Uh, Ian why don't you take your snacks and go watch some TV. I'm going to go help mommy frame this."

Without question, the five year old spun around and eagerly raced toward the living room, his cookie snack in hand.

"Take off your shoes before you go on the couch!" JC called after him.

Looking up at her husband, Jessica frowned. "It's almost four in the afternoon and I have a pizza in the oven for him, plus I baked some cookies for later, after he'd have dinner. You shouldn't have given him any more sugar."

JC shrugged. "Well I'm sorry, but he was hungry because his parents couldn't pick him up from pre-school on time. I was in the studio and got your message late."

"Sorry," she mumbled apologetically. The corners of her mouth twitched as she held back a smile. "Did you see Ms. Granger?"

JC chuckled. "Sure did,"

"Which one did she use this time? The fluffy, full head of hair or sinfully, perfectly sculpted cheek bones?"

"Compliments on the mesmerizing blue eyes actually," JC grinned.

"I swear that the woman doesn't even take notice that you wear a wedding ring!"

"She actually mentioned you. But she seemed more pleased to see me," JC grinned.

Jessica managed a laugh. "She loves you, it's obvious."

JC shrugged. "Maybe... But I love you,"

"You too," she kissed his cheek.

"Here," he handed her the flowers. "Ian and I picked these out for you this afternoon at the store."

She smiled softly. "Thank you Jace, they're beautiful."

He took her hand and pulled her close to him. He pressed his lips against hers softly and leaned in his forehead so now it was touching with hers. "You okay baby?" he asked her gently.

"Jace, I got to talk to you," she sighed.

He frowned. "About what?"

She broke eye contact and didn't respond. Instead, she let him keep his hold on her hand and she led them into the kitchen slowly. By the time they had gotten to the counter and she had turned around, JC noticed her eyes were watering.

Now truly concerned and 100% convinced she was keeping something from him, he watched as she let a tear fall. She opened her mouth to talk but no sound came out.

Though soft, she didn't cry often so JC took it as a bad sign. "Jessica what's wrong?" he asked, cupping her face in his hands.

She shook her head as best as she could and her hazel eyes clashed with his deep blue orbs. "Josh, I got to tell you something,"

"Tell me baby," He swiped his thumbs slowly over her cheeks. "Whatever it is, I'll fix it."

"Something's wrong Josh," Another tear fell and she sucked in a breath. "But I don't think you could fix it this time..."

JC took a small step back but kept his eyes locked on hers. "Jessica you're really freaking me out here. What's wrong?"

She quickly wiped away another tear that had fallen halfway down her cheek and sniffled.

"Uh," she walked over to the kitchen table slowly and took a seat where the head of the table would sit. She started fumbling with the cordless phone that rested on top the place mat and avoided JC's gaze. "I don't know how to say it Joshua,"

Alarm bells started ringing off in JC's head when he heard her use his real name; the name that she only used when something of extreme seriousness was happening.

He quickly walked over to her and sat on the chair at the side of the table so he could face her. He took the phone out of her hands and replaced it with his own. "You can tell me anything, you know that."

 "I just don't know HOW to tell you," she whispered.

"So after six years of marriage, a home and a son together, you suddenly don't know how to talk to me? I'm your husband Jess! I need to know what's going on with you!"

She nodded.

"Is whatever it is you're talking about have anything to do with why you couldn't pick up Ian from school today?"

Again, she nodded.

JC looked at her expectantly with a soft gaze, trying to calm her enough to tell him what was the matter but also trying to maintain his patience.

A few silent moments passed by until JC felt her squeeze his hand gently and exhaled softly. She sniffled and looked up at him.

"Tell me baby," JC encouraged her softly. "Please,"

"Remember when I told you a few nights ago that I thought it was weird that my urine was darker than usual? Kind of reddish, but we just thought it was my period having some sort of weird effect on me?"

JC nodded slowly.

She continued, her voice still soft. "I-It actually happened everyday this week and then I started getting these really bad pains in my lower back. It was worse than labor pains a-and they kept happening whenever I'd try to use the bathroom and then this afternoon after I did laundry, I-I took a nap and when I woke up around noon, my ankles were really swollen."

"Jess is that why I heard you crying in the bathroom the other night? Because of the pain?"

A tear fell from her eyes. "Yea," she said in a small voice. "I didn't want you to worry too much about it because I thought it was just cramps,"

JC pulled away one of his hands from hers and slapped the table. "Dammit, Jessica I heard you and you told me you were fine in there! You could have told me and I would have tried to do something for you. Call a doctor or something, but you should have told me!"

"I'm sorry Jace but... just, calm down enough so I can finish,"

JC reluctantly kept his mouth shut but spoke again when he saw her close her eyes and take a few breaths.

"What's wrong now?"

She shook her head. "I'm just really tired. A little out of breath all of a sudden."

JC swallowed. "You only said a few sentences and you're tired and out of breath."

"I know," She opened her eyes to look at him weakly. "It got really bad as the day went on and I just couldn't get up the strength to drive. That's why I couldn't pick up Ian."

"Baby, I know I got your message late but why didn't you call me earlier and I would have come home."

"Don't worry about that," she waved her hand.

"Not worry?" JC cried out. "I'm sitting here and listening to you tell me about all these things that you've been hiding from me and enduring on your own and you don't want me to worry about you?"

"I didn't mean it like that... I didn't tell you not to worry,"

He sighed, running a hand through his hair before taking her hand. "Listen, you're going to be fine Jess, I promise. Your body's just probably being like this due to lack of sleep, stress from working around the house... Why don't you take it easy for a while? See if some relaxation will help?"

"Mmhm," she whimpered, swallowing hard and looking away so he wouldn't see the tears that brimmed at her eyes and threatened to fall. Her husband seemed to fail at realizing the seriousness of her condition. Some simple ‘relaxation' was not going to make what she was going through just automatically go away. She cleared her throat and turned back to JC.

"I called the doctor today, actually," she confessed.

JC looked at her for a minute and then nodded his head slowly. "Okay, well, that's good. You made the appointment so just let me know when it is so we can go together, find out what's going on with you and we'll fix this with whatever medication he prescribes." He managed a smile, swiping his thumbs over the surface of her hand that he still held. "It's going to be okay honey,"

She shook her head. "I don't know about that Josh,"

"What'd you mean? Did the doctor say something? Did he come over here?"

"I talked to him, yea," she nodded. "But I didn't see him yet. The appointment's tomorrow morning at eleven."

"Well, then we'll go see him, he'll prescribe something to get you treated, and we focus on getting you better. Simple,"

"He already thinks he knows what's wrong with me Josh," Her glistening hazel eyes met his worried blue orbs. "When I go tomorrow, and if he's right, then he's sending me straight to the hospital so I can get the treatment process started. He doesn't want to waste any time,"

JC felt his throat tighten and his heart rate speed up. "Treatment for what, exactly?"

She looked away once more, trying to avoid letting him see the tears that were now falling fast and furious down her already tear stained cheeks.

JC got out of his chair immediately and stooped down in front of her, taking her hands in his and kissing them as he looked up at her. "Tell me Jess," he pleaded.

She sniffled and let her gaze focus on the way he held her hands together in her lap. "They uh... They think it's-"

--"Daddy?" Ian's voice called out in a whisper and JC felt someone tugging at the pillow his head rested on. "Daddy wake up!"

"Hmm?" JC groaned softly, turning over to lie on his side.

"Daddy!" the voice called out again, slightly louder than before.

JC opened his eyes groggily, and through the darkness, he was able to make out the small figure in Batman pajamas standing beside his bed clutching a Snoopy Dog to his chest.

JC rose up on the bed slightly and winced. "Ian, what's wrong?"

"Bad dream," the four year old quivered. 

JC sat up straight and threw off the covers, almost forgetting about his own dream. "Come here buddy," he told his son gently, putting out his arms and lifting Ian onto the bed to lie down beside him.

Pulling the covers back up, JC spoke softly. "What'd you dream about tonight?" he sighed tiredly.

Holding the Snoopy Dog closer, Ian answered."T-That I was at the park on the monkey bars and my hands were slipping because it was wet."

"Did you fall?" JC asked, sitting up a little and adjusting the pillows.

Ian shook his head. "Mommy held me up so that I wouldn't fall."

JC felt his throat tighten. "Then, uh, then what happened?"

"Then I got off the monkey bars and mommy was smiling at me. B-But then I woke up, and she wasn't there," he sniffled.

JC sighed softly, moving his body closer to his son and wrapping an arm around him. "I'm still here bud, it's okay,"

"I miss mommy,"

JC kissed the top of his son's head and nodded. "I know. I miss her too... But I'm here alright? And I'm not going anywhere. Nothing's going to happen to you once I'm here."

"You think mommy knows we miss her?"

JC looked down at the dark blue eyes staring up at him innocently and managed a smile. "I'm sure she knows. I think she misses us too."

Ian smiled. "She gave me a kiss when I got down from the monkey bars."

"That dream wasn't so bad then,"

"Made me sad," the child said quietly as he snuggled closer to his father.

"I know how you feel bud, I'm sorry,"

"You dream about mommy too?"

"All the time," JC thought silently to himself, but then answered. "How about we get some sleep first and then we can talk about dreams later, huh? You got a big day tomorrow. Don't want to be tired now, do you?"

"G'night daddy," Ian nodded sleepily, his eyelids fluttering. "I love you."

"Love you too little guy,"

 JC felt him relax against his chest and about a minute later, the soft sounds of his breathing was all there was to be heard.  Taking a second to brush away the couple tears that fallen from his eyes, JC soon fell back into his own dream.  Except, the one person he wanted to wake up to and have hold him wasn't going to be there when he woke up.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Review!! Review!! Review!! Review!!

And the situation isn't as predictable as you may be thinking... 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: daddyjc