June 29th 2006

"I don't like being in this place more times than I have to," JC muttered, leaning back in the cushion chair with his arms folded. "I thought Thursdays were our free days from this place. All these doctors and nurses walking about and then they have all these needles lying around ready to stick into people..." He shuddered. "I hate being hospitals when I shouldn't have to."

"Dr. Roberts just said that he had something important to talk to us about Jace, we'll leave soon."

"How can you be so calm about stuff like this?"

She shrugged and smiled. "I've learnt that I'd rather spend my days with a smile on my face than with tears running down my cheeks."

"Positive attitude," JC mumbled.

"You should try it some time," she winked.

"Good morning Mr. and Mrs. Chasez," a tall, well built man in his mid-fifties walked in, holding a clipboard and wearing glasses. He was dressed in a long lab coat that was open down the middle to expose his olive shirt and black pants. "Nice to see you again."

"Morning Dr. Roberts," Jess smiled, standing up to hug the man.

"Hey, how're you doing?" JC nodded, shaking his hand then sitting back down.

"I'm fine, thank you."

"So you wanted to see us today?" Jess asked, watching as the man took a seat behind the large desk in front of them.

"I know that Thursdays aren't you dialysis days so I apologize for calling you in on such short notice but something happened and the sooner we go about dealing with it, the sooner we can decide on how Jessica's condition is going to stay."

"What happened?" JC asked slowly, squeezing her hand.

"I-Is it good news or bad news?"

"Good news," Dr. Roberts smiled. "The best news you're probably going to get for a while."

"Is she pregnant?" JC blurted out.

Jess' eyes widened, looking from the doctor and back to her husband.  "Am I?"

"No, no, no. That's not what we called you in here for."

JC heaved a sigh of relief. "Thank God."

"What's going on then?" Jess asked.

"We found a donor, Jessica." Dr. Roberts told his patient gently, and with a smile.

"What?" she whispered, her body almost going numb. "Are you serious?"

"Yes, I am."

"Who?!"

"An anonymous person from another state. He doesn't know you and you don't know them."

"Is that even legal?" JC asked. "Some random guy giving away his kidney, just like that?"

"It's actually very common. Some people are just like that."

"So I can do the transplant?" Jess asked.

"We have to do a few more tests and such but if you agree and everything runs smoothly between your file and the other person's file, then we can do the surgery."

"And she'll get better?" JC asked, impatiently.

"A few weeks of recovery and judging that everything goes well in the surgery, yes. It could provide her with 15 to almost 25 more years of life if the kidney functions properly."

JC turned to his wife, a smile spreading widely across his face. "Jess, did you hear that?"

"Y-Yea, I did." She said, a light laugh in her voice. "I can't believe this."

"Some people find satisfaction in doing things like this to know that they've improved another person's quality of life. It's completely safe."

"Jessica," JC said, snapping her attention back to him. "You have to do this. Baby, you can do the surgery, get better, I mean, babe, things can go back to the way they were. You can leave a healthy life again. Jess, this is what we've been hoping for since you got like this. You didn't want me to be the one to do it and now we've found someone else who's willing. You have to do this."

"What'd you recommend doctor?" She asked.

"If I were you, and I had another chance at a healthy life, I'd grab the bull by horns and take the chance."

**

July 13th 2006

"Can Ian sleep with us tonight?" she asked, looking at JC who was pulling on his white t shirt.

"Why?" he asked, looking at her sitting cross legged on the bed in her yellow pajama outfit and her hair out. He couldn't help but smile.

She shrugged. "The surgery is tomorrow and I just want to feel him close to me tonight. I want you BOTH close to me."

"Okay," JC said slowly.

"Go get him for me," she grinned happily. "But don't wake him up."

A few minutes later, they both lay under the covers, looking from their sleeping son between them then back to each other, all the while smiling.

"I can't believe we created him, you know," she said softly, stroking back the brown hairs from her son's soft forehead. "He's a part of me and you. You and I are going to live forever through him."

"You want to have another one?"

She raised her eyebrows at him. "Where'd that come from?"

He smiled at her. "After this surgery and after you get better, I think it might be a good idea. He's getting older and I miss having a little one around the house. Let's do it."

"You want to be a daddy again, don't you," she teased.

"We are great parents, don't deny it."

"And we make pretty cute kids," she said softly.

"By Christmas, when your body's healed... Let's start trying for another one. Maybe a little girl this time," he smiled.

Avoiding the burn in the back of her throat, she swallowed her own tears and nodded. "I'd like that,"

"So we can have another baby?"

"Okay," she whispered with a smile. 

He leaned over to kiss her sweetly and stopped to give Ian a kiss on the forehead before they both lay back down.

"I love you Jess," JC said, closing his eyes.

She smiled up at the ceiling. "Love you too Jace,"

A few minutes had passed before she felt the need to say one more thing. "Hey Josh?"

There was no response.

"Josh?" she called out to him once more, this time a little louder.

"Mm?" 

He was already half asleep.

"Promise me something?"

"What?"  

"Promise me that no matter what, you'll give Ian the best life you can. Including, more siblings or letting yourself enjoy what life has to offer. Whether or not I'm healthy in the end. Promise me that you'll smile and be thankful for every day with him, even if I can't be here for all of those days. Promise me that you and him will be okay."

"Mmm, I promise," he sighed.

"Okay,"

**

14th July 2006

"You're going to be fine babygirl," he whispered into her ear, as she drifted in and out of consciousness.

The anesthesia was finally taking its toll.

He was stooped to her level, next to her bed and he held her hands that rested on her stomach. She was already set to go into the operating room and she was fighting the anesthsia to keep herself awake just so that she could see little glimpses of his face for a little while longer. She was, however, losing the fight.   

"Josh," she whispered back. "Promise me..."

He frowned. "Promise you what honey?"

"What I told you last night... Keep your promise... No matter the outcome."

"Jess what are you..." he shook his head in confusion but decided to just let it go. He did't want to spend the final few seconds before she went into the OR talking about what she siad or what he didn't hear her say. "Okay, yea, I promise. Look, the doctors are ready to make you better so I'll see you when you get out of there alright? I love you."

"I love you too," she smiled, her eyes closed."One more thing."

"What's that?"

"One more kiss please,"

He smiled and did as he was asked to do. "I love you Jessica," he mumbled against her lips. "I promise that my face will be the first one you see when you open your eyes."

She smiled softly. "I can't wait."

He placed one more kiss upon her lips and gave her hand one last squeeze. "I love you Jess," 

"I love you Joshua,"

 

 

 

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: daddyjc