Story Notes:
I've hit a very solid writer's block with "Straight Jacket Feeling," but this story has been itching at me for a while now.  Inspired by the amazing Mumford & Sons album "The Cave."  I hope you enjoy!

It's empty in the valley of your heart
The sun, it rises slowly as you walk
Away from all the fears
And all the faults you've left behind

The harvest left no food for you to eat
You cannibal, you meat-eater, you see
But I have seen the same
I know the shame in your defeat


But I will hold on hope
And I won't let you choke
On the noose around your neck

Mumford and Sons – “The Cave”



Parties like this were the bane of Shelby’s existence.  Honestly.  A bunch of stuffy suits mixed with a bunch of snobby celebrities, and not enough booze in the world that could make a difference.  She was here because her father had needed a date, and with her mother’s recent death, she couldn’t say no. 

“I’m going to get another drink, Dad.  Need anything?”  Peter’s gaze settled on his daughter, his thoughts obviously elsewhere as he shook his head. 

“No thanks, Shel.  Go have fun.”  He returned to his conversation leaving Shelby to fend for herself.

She took a deep breath, heading through the crowd and avoiding the gaze of anyone around her.  She didn’t feel like making small talk or pretending to be interested in some lame conversation about musical directions or business transactions.  People assumed that just because she was her father’s daughter meant she was interested in the business, too.  Not so.

“Whisky Sour, please.”  She gratefully leaned against the bar, happy to have a drink on the way so she could spice up this night a little bit.  Maybe it wouldn’t be so bad after all.

“Shelby!” 

Oh crap.  “Hey, David,” Shelby turned slowly, making sure to plaster on a smile that she wasn’t really feeling.  “How are you?”  She let him hug her before stepping back and putting a good amount of space between them.

“Great, I’m great.  How are you?  You look fantastic.”  David Cook of American Idol fame had an obvious crush on Shelby, which she has reciprocated for a little while, but then…things just got to be too much.  Any connection they had had fizzled out after their first date and she was overwhelmed with attention that she wasn’t sure she wanted.  It had been her saving grace when she’d had to move back to New York when school started back up.  She’d left him without much of an explanation, which made for a really awkward moment right now.  She threw back her drink in a few large gulps.

“I’m doing all right.  Just here to support my father.”  It wasn’t a secret that her mother had passed a few months ago, but the look on David’s face said he’d forgotten all about it.  Suddenly he looked ashamed.

“I’m so sorry about your Mom.”  He laid a gentle hand on Shelby’s arm, which she stared at with thinly veiled contempt.

“Thank you.  I have to get going, though.  It was great to see you again.”  She slipped past him, getting lost in a crowd of people before he could chase after her.  Unfortunately, in her haste, she missed the person standing in her way.  “Oh shit.”  Her face slammed into a chest that was rather firm, and her head mostly definitely cracked someone’s chin.

“Whoa, hey, where’s the fucking fire?”  A masculine voice sounded above her has warm hands encircled her biceps, steading the both of them.

“I am so sorry.”  She glanced up to find that she’s just plowed into Justin Timberlake.  Fantastic.  “I wasn’t watching where I was going.”  Her cheeks were flaming and the alcohol she’d just downed wasn’t helping.

“So I noticed.”  He didn’t seem too upset, but Shelby still felt mortified.  Was it time to go yet?  “Are you okay?  I think my chin may have cracked your skull.”

Shelby raised a hand to her forehead, wincing at the tender bump that was beginning to sprout.  “I think I’ll be okay.  I feel like such an idiot.”  She finally stepped out of his personal space, chancing a look into his eyes.  He was smiling.

“It’s okay.  This party was beyond boring anyway, you just broke up the monotony.”  Justin’s fingers brushed the bump on her head lightly as he peered down at her.  “You sure you’re okay?”

Shelby nodded.  “Yeah, I have a hard head.”

“Yeah, I know.”  He rubbed his chin and Shelby felt her cheeks flame again.  “I’m just teasing you.”  His eyes studied her face for a moment, finally taking in the girl in front of him.  “You look very familiar.”  He stated.

Shelby shook her head, stopping when a headache started to form.  “I’m certain we haven’t met before, but I’m sure you know my father.”

Justin chuckled, “that sounds ominous.” 

Shelby stuck out her hand, “Shelby Edge.  It’s a pleasure to run into you, Justin.”  He shook her hand, his eyebrows shooting up in surprise at the mention of her last name.

“Edge?  As in Peter Edge?  As in the CEO of RCA records?”

“One in the same.”

“Well, shit, the pleasure is all mine.”

Shelby raised an eyebrow playfully, “You might not say that when you have to pitch your next album.”  She ginned to show she was kidding.

“I was just about to head to the bar to grab a drink.  Would you care to join me?”  Justin held out his arm for Shelby to take, and she glanced over her shoulder back toward the bar.  David was still standing there, looking lost and pitiful.  She cringed.  Justin gave a curious look at her hesitation, following her sight line to the bar.  “Oh.  Are we avoiding someone?”

“Something like that.  He’s got a crush on me…and…I might have just ditched him before I ran into you.”

Justin laughed out loud, completely amused by this girl.  “Tell you what.  I’ll go grab us some drinks and you find us a place to sit.”  He pointed to a set of small tables off to the side, which Shelby wrinkled her nose at when she saw how crowded they were.

“Okay, but I’ve got a better idea about the seating.  Meet me by the door.”  Justin nodded, heading off into the crowd and Shelby turned in the other direction.  She stopped briefly to speak with her father, who was still caught up in mindless conversations, so she headed toward the door and waited for Justin.

The idea that she was hanging out with Justin Timberlake amused Shelby greatly.  Surprisingly enough, they had never met before, but he was proving to be quite charming.  He also provided a fantastic distraction from this horrible party.  Normally, she avoided these things at all costs.  When she was younger, she followed her dad around the studios and once entertained the idea of getting into some aspect of the music world, but then she grew up and found other passions that took her away from that world.  He was upset with her decision to move to New York, to say the least, and it was only recently that they’d been on speaking terms again and that only because of her mother’s death.

“I didn’t know what you wanted, so I grabbed you a glass of wine.  I hope that’s okay.”  Justin’s voice broke through Shelby’s thoughts and she gratefully accepted the glass.

“Wine is perfect.”  She led him down a back hallway and up a small flight of stairs that lead to the back terrace.  RCA had been holding their annual dinner party at this venue as long as Shelby could remember, and she had always found this terrace a nice escape.  “Here we are.”  There was a garden below them, stretching out and fading into the city behind it.  Faint noises from the freeway could be heard, but it was mostly quiet.

“I had no idea this was here.”  Justin’s voice was soft as he looked around.  He was fairly relieved to be out of that party, but he wasn’t sure he should admit that to the boss’s daughter. 

Shelby grabbed a lighter and a cigarette from her purse, offering the pack to Justin.  “Smoke?”

Justin eyed the shiny gold package for a moment, and then shook his head.  “Nah, I’m quitting.”

She shrugged.  “That’s cool.”  He watched her light up, taking a long, soothing drag.  He licked his lips and turned his attention back to the garden.  “So, Mr. Timberlake, what brings you out tonight?  I thought your focus was on movies these days.”

Justin took a deep breath, letting it sit in his lungs before exhaling.  “I have been told that I’m under contract and I need to get my ass back in the studio.  They’ve already set my release dates.” 

“Ouch.  That sucks.”  Another puff of the cigarette, her slender fingers flicking the ashes into the wind.  Justin couldn’t resist anymore, carefully plucking the stick from her fingers and taking his own long pull.  She smirked.  “So much for quitting, aye?”

“I’ll quit tomorrow.”  He grinned at her, taking another drag and handing it back to Shelby.  “I was only quitting because I’m getting back in the studio.  Although, my mother reminds me that it’s a horrible habit.” 

“Oh, I’ve heard that quite often lately, as well.”  She stubbed the butt out on the concrete patio.  “I say fuck ‘em.” 

Justin watched Shelby carefully, noting her posture, her slightly glassy eyes.  Her hands were shaking, he noted with surprise.  He’d known that Peter’s wife had died, but he hadn’t given it much thought tonight.  Now, though, he felt like an ass.  Should he say something?  Or should he pretend that it hadn’t happened?  He was horrible with these things, and he had just met this girl.

He decided to go the roundabout route.  “How’s your dad holding up these days?  I haven’t seen too much of him lately.”

Shelby hesitated.  Obviously he’d made the wrong decision.  “He’s…he’s managing, I guess.  I came home to take care of him, but he’s never agreed with my decision to leave L.A. and stop working in the music business.  He doesn’t think I can do any good in psychology.”  She pulled another cigarette from her purse, lighting it before continuing.  “My mom was the only one who could get him to shut up about it.  Now that she’s gone…”  She trailed off.

“I’m sorry.  That was an incredibly stupid question to ask.”  Justin could feel his cheeks burning. 

She just shrugged.  “No, it wasn’t.”  She attempted to give him a smile, but it was watery and Justin was getting increasingly uncomfortable.  He wasn’t prepared to comfort a stranger.  She seemed to compose herself, though, turning her face back toward the garden.  “I’m heading back to New York in a couple of days.  I can’t wait.”

“New York is a cool place.”  The comment felt lame, but he wasn’t sure what else to say to this girl.

Shelby seemed slightly amused by him, though, and the grin she was sending his way held mischief that he was surprised by.  “Do I make you uncomfortable, Mr. Timberlake?”  Her teeth flashed white as that Cheshire grin stretched when he blushed.

“Actually…you do.”  His momma had always taught him that honesty was the best policy.  “I’m not sure what to say without making myself sound like an ass.”  At that, she laughed out loud.

“I like you, Justin.  You’re all right.”  She patted his forearm, finishing off the last of her wine and grabbing his still full glass.  She drained that, too.  “So, how’s the music coming?  Any more Sexy to bring back?”  Obviously she was drunk, but he was starting to enjoy her oddness.

He chuckled before answering, “actually, the process hasn’t really started yet.  I can’t seem to get in the mind set of making my own music.  I’ve been producing and writing for other people for such a long time now.”

She looked him over, “You need to get out of L.A.  Find a change in scenery.”  The advice was offered as if it were the most obvious thing in the world.  Justin was surprised that he hadn’t thought of the suggestion himself, but there it was.  He watched her for a minute more, to see if she would say anything else, but she seemed content to just stand there and inhale her third butt of the night.  He reached over and snatched the pack of cigarettes from her hands, lighting his own and taking a grateful drag.  Fuck quitting.

“You’re right.  I need to get away.”

She smirked.  “L.A. can be poison if you don’t take a breather.  It sucks you in and entices you, lulling you with its warmth, buttering you up with its obsession with celebrity, kissing your ass and patting you on the back….and then you wake up and realize that you’re suffocating on all it all and you didn’t even know it.”

“That was extremely profound for someone as drunk as you are.”  Justin blurted the thought out, grimacing as soon as he said it.  Shelby laughed it off, though.

“Exactly.”

A throat cleared behind them, causing the both of them to jump at turn at the same time.  “I figured I would find you here.”  Peter Edge stood with his hands in his pockets, eyeing his daughter and her companion with an unreadable expression.

“You always were quick on the uptake, Daddy.”  The venom in her voice surprised Justin, and suddenly he was extremely uncomfortable.

“Good evening, Mr. Edge.”  He held out his hand to shake, and the older man watched his daughter for a moment longer before finally taking Justin’s offered hand.  “Shelby and I were just talking about New York.”  Obviously that was the wrong thing to say to the man, but it couldn’t be taken back now. 

“Right.  She loves it out there.  Broke her poor mother’s heart to see her leave L.A.” 

Shelby finished off her cigarette, stepping on it with a fierceness that had Justin cringing.  She turned quickly, giving her father a scathing look.  “I’m right here, Daddy.  You can address your bullshit to me and leave Justin out of it.”

“You’re drunk, Shelby,” was his only response.

“No shit, Sherlock.  Takes one to know one, though, huh Daddy?”  She spit the words at him, alcohol courage coursing through her veins.  “Let’s go, Justin.  I’m suddenly feeling choked by the dirty air.”  She grabbed his hand, pulling him toward the door that led back into the party.  Justin hesitated, not sure that offending the CEO of his record company was the best idea he’d ever had.  Then again, standing out here wasn’t really a good choice, either.  Peter waved him off, turning to stare out over the landscape, his back to his daughter.

Shelby led Justin through the crowds, steering him around curious party-goers whose eyes followed them to the front door. 

“I don’t think you should be driving like this.”  Justin wasn’t sure he wanted to be around Shelby Edge anymore.  The gentleman in him couldn’t just leave her, though, so he made his next decision without giving it a lot of thought.  “I’ll drive you home.”

She gave him a vacant stare, the pout on her face clashing with her vintage dress and stylish hairdo.  “Whatever.  I need a drink.”  He watched her rummage through her purse as the valet pulled his car around.  She pulled out a flask, taking a long draft and belching loudly when she finished.  “Oops.”  Even her giggle was slurred.

What the fuck are you doing, Timberlake?  His conscience was berating him for not having more of a backbone.  He should leave her here and avoid the tabloid drama he knew came with her.  He should just call her a cab and wash his hands of this mess, call Pete in the morning to apologize and be done with it.  Yet somehow, he couldn’t bring himself to do it.  “Let’s go, watch your head.”  He helped her into his car, closing the door gently and running around.  He generously tipped the valet, flooring it as soon as he pulled out of the parking lot and onto the freeway.

“Oh shit.”  Shelby giggled again, holding onto the door handle as Justin peeled around a corner.  “Oh, shit.”  Her face turned decidedly green.

“Don’t you dare puke in my car, girl.”  He searched for a place to pull over, eyeing a small parking lot which he whipped into as fast as he dared.  “Open the door, Shelby.”  It felt like slow motion as he watched her fumble for the handle, opening the door just in time to lean out of the seat and vomit up everything she had in her system.  Justin closed his eyes, both in relief and disgust as she dry heaved a few times, nothing left in her stomach to expel. 

“Oh fuck me.”  Her face was pallid and sweat soaked.  She looked nothing like the beautiful young woman he’d run into earlier.  “Justin…I feel like shit.”

“You look like shit, too.”

“Funny.”  She hiccupped, covering her mouth and leaning out of the car to heave again.  “Oh god.” 

“Shelby, tell me how to get you home.”  He fumbled around, searching his car for a bottle of water or something to give her, cursing himself for being such a neat freak.

Adamantly, she shook her head.  “Uh-uh.  I’m not going back to that bastard’s house.”  Justin wasn’t sure how she’d given the word ‘bastard’ a lisp, but she’d managed.  “I refuse.”

Slowly, he dragged his hands down his face.  “Where can I take you, then?  A friend, maybe?  You need to be in bed.”

She shook her head again and he felt his heart sinking into his stomach.  “Nope.  My friends are in New York.”  She burped and he could smell the alcohol across the car.

“Fuck.”  He watched her a little longer, making up his mind.  “Do you think you’re done being sick?  Are you going to puke again?”  This time he was relieved to see her shake her head.  “Okay then, let’s close the door and I’ll get you taken care of.”

With a resounding thud, she slammed the door and promptly passed out.

~*~

“You mean to tell me that you have the daughter of the CEO of RCA passed out in your guest bedroom, drunk off her ass because she got into a fight with said father?”  Rachel’s voice was quiet fury as she interrogated Justin.  He sighed tiredly.

“Yeah, that’s exactly what I’m telling you.”

“What the fuck are you thinking?  Justin…this has to be the worst idea you’ve had, ever.”  Her eyes were blazing.

“Does that include the corn rows and the bleach phase, too?”  Trace piped up from his seat at the kitchen table, receiving the middle finger from both cousins for his effort.  “Sheesh, just joking,” he held up his hands in surrender, “kind of.”

“I know, Rachel, but I couldn’t just leave her there.  She’s a fucking mess.”

“Ever heard of a hotel room?”  Her arms flailed, almost smacking Justin across the face.

Justin let out another sigh, counting to ten before he dared to open his mouth.  “I couldn’t leave her alone, Rach.  She’s probably got alcohol poisoning, or some shit like that, and I didn’t want her to be at some random hotel room alone.  I’ll take her back to her dad’s in the morning and send him a fruit basket or something.  It’s going to be fine.”

She scoffed, “famous last words, Timberlake.”  With a heated stare, she pointed at her cousin fiercely.  “I am not cleaning up your mess this time, either.”

He smirked.  Despite the warning bells that were going off in his head, he couldn’t help his next comment; “Cleaning up my messes is what you get paid for.”

“Fuck you.”  She spat, storming out of the kitchen and slamming the door, almost breaking the panes of glass in the process.

“That went well.”  Trace dared to speak again, hoping Justin would be in a little bit better of a mood that his cousin.  He watched the other man sit heavily in one of the kitchen chairs, letting out a breath and slumping down as far as he could.

“This is going to bite me in the ass, isn’t it?”  He eyed Trace warily, not really wanting an answer but knowing he was going to get one anyway.

“Absolutely.”

Chapter End Notes:
So?  What do ya think?


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: celebrityj soloj lyrics