Sutton was quiet on the Wednesday ride home from ballet. When James asked her how her ballet class was, Sutton had just shrugged and looked out the window, which was quite unlike the little girl, who usually chatted with her mother the entire way home. Finally, Sutton let out a shaky sigh and said, "Mommy, why'd you tell Josh to go away?"


James nearly had to catch her breath. She bit on her lower lip before responding, lest she snap at her daughter for asking such a ridiculous question. But really, was it that ridiculous? Yes, she reasoned with herself, it was. Sutton was only five, and James knew she'd been talking to Chad, who had not said much to her since JC had left. "Why do you think I told him to go away? I didn't, Sutton. Josh needed to finish a job and then he's coming back," James tried to answer her daughter as rationally as possible.


"But Uncle Chad said that you could've told him to stay. He said that Josh didn't really want to go," Sutton turned to look at her mother.


"You shouldn't listen to everything Uncle Chad says," James replied, trying her best to keep her cool. "Josh is in L.A. for work and he'll be back on Saturday morning."


"But Mommy, he didn't have to go. He wanted to stay cause he loves you and you wanted him to go because you're scared!" Sutton blurted out and then knew she'd said too much by the look James had given her. 


"That's enough," James said quite firmly. "You don't know what you're talking about and you're too young to understand."


"But Mommy-"


"No, Sutton. Enough."


They were silent the rest of the ride home. Once James put the car into park and turned off the engine, Sutton threw open the car door and ran to the front door. They went inside and Chad was sitting on the couch with Lane watching television. 


"There're my girls!" Chad spoke up, and turned off the television. "Lane and I thought we'd order pizza and-"


"Sutton go upstairs. I need to talk to Uncle Chad," James interrupted him and Sutton frowned at her mother, but did as she was told.


"What's wrong?" Chad asked, giving James a confused look.


"Why the hell would you ever confide to my daughter about why you think I told Josh to go back to L.A.? She told me what you said. That Josh didn't really want to go and that I was scared. I'm not scared of anything!" she was raising her voice but she didn't care. Lane looked uncomfortable and shifted a little on the couch. "I don't know why it's such a big deal, anyway and why you thought it was such a good idea to tell a five-year-old what you thought!"


Chad took a breath before he spoke, "Not a big deal? Really? Is that why you cry when you get off the phone with him? Is that why, when he told you he wasn't coming back until Friday, you were a bitch the rest of the day? And I didn't confide in Sutton. She asked me why you were crying so much and why Josh had to go. Maybe I said too much, but you are scared. You're scared that if you don't push him away first, he'll leave just like Clay. He's not Clay and you know it!" 


James was quiet. She didn't say anything, simply left the room and went upstairs to her room, hoping that Chad knew not to follow her.


Later that evening, James sat by the pool, slowly sipping on a glass of wine. She and Sutton had ended up having pizza with Chad and Lane, Chad didn't speak to James and she avoided eye contact with him, so it was basically a very dull dinner with Lane trying to make conversation with Sutton, who was still glum after the car ride with James. She hadn't refused when James told her it was time for bed and had immediately gone to her bedroom after brushing her teeth. When James had asked if she wanted a story, Sutton had refused and James knew it was her daughter's way of telling her mother she was not happy with her. 


James was mad at herself for even suggesting it was a good idea that he leave. Things had been going so well between them for the last month and then a glitch. A glitch that could have been avoided if she'd just been honest and told him not to go. If she'd ignored practicality and said 'No, Josh, I don't want you to go.' It wasn't selfish, especially because JC had told her numerous times just how much he disliked L.A. now and how much he loved it in Grayson. But no, she had to revert to practical James. In her head it had made sense that he go back to see if he really missed it. In her heart, she knew it wasn't right. 


The sliding glass door behind her opened and she heard Chad's footsteps walking over to her. He sat down next to her and said, "I only did it because I love you. I shouldn't have said anything to Sutton. Even Lane said I was stupid for doing that. I should've just come to you in the first place and told you what I thought. I'm sorry, James, but when I see something perfect and something that doesn't happen everyday like you and Josh, I just, well, I guess I just wanted you to be happy. And when you told him it was okay that he went back for this gig, this stupid, not-even-one-week gig, I didn't want you to lose what you had. I know now you're not because Josh is crazy about you, you know that right?" James nodded. "He's not going to leave you. He's not Clay. I've known Josh my whole life and I've met other girlfriends. They've been pretty and skinny and all that stuff, but they were never right for him. And you, my sweet dear, are perfect for him."


James let a tear roll down her cheek and quickly wiped it away. "I know he's not like Clay," she sniffed. "I just didn't want him to have any regrets is all. He's done this for so long, I guess I just didn't want him being with me and thinking I'd pull him away from all of that." 


Chad shook his head. "Josh can make his own decisions and I think he knows what he wants. And that's you." Chad pulled James to him. "I love you, doll, you know that. Clay left you because he was a jerk. You know Josh isn't Clay. He loves you and he adores Sutton."


"I just wanted him to be happy is all," James had started to cry softly. "I wanted him to know I supported him because he's been an entertainer for a long time. How could he just give that all up in a month? I wanted him to be sure."


Chad nodded and kissed the top of her head. "I think he was sure the minute he laid eyes on you."


"Thanks," James smiled and kissed Chad's cheek. They both stood and hugged each other and then walked back inside. 


James told him goodnight and then went upstairs, quietly opening the door to Sutton's room. She smiled when she saw her daughter laying on her side, her stuffed teddy bear in her arms. James went over to her and bent down to kiss Sutton's forehead. "I love you, baby girl," she whispered, kissing her once more and tip toeing out of her room, her heart feeling as though a weight had been lifted.


Los Angeles


The week had dragged on and on. JC was finally over jet lag by Wednesday night, ironically, the day he would have landed in Savannah. He spent his days in his basement studio, aimlessly mixing tracks and recording songs just for the hell of it. He would call James every night and he could still tell she was trying to be positive, but talking with Sutton (and hearing her second hand information from Chad) on Thursday afternoon had given it away that James was miserable. He'd been talking to James when he heard Sutton's voice in the room with her.

 
"Mommy, can I talk to Josh, please?" she had asked.


"Put her on the phone," JC chuckled.


"Okay. Sutton, talk to Josh while Mommy gets your bath ready," James had passed the phone to her daughter and in seconds, Sutton was immediately rambling on and on to JC about all that had happened in the last few days.
"...and then in ballet I learned how to do a big leap across the room!"


"That's awesome, Sutton. You'll have to show me when I get back,"


"Josh? Mommy really misses you. When are you coming home?"


"On Saturday, sweet girl. I promise,"


"Good, cause Mommy cries a lot. Uncle Chad says it's because she misses you so much. And I miss you, too,"


"I miss you, too, Sutton," JC told her. "I'll be home soon. I promise."


"But don't leave again. Uncle Chad says you should never listen to Mommy and leave,"


JC tried not to laugh into the phone, "I'm not going to leave again. I promise,"


He sat at the piano in his recording studio after the phone call had ended and lazily plucked a few keys, thinking about the conversation with Sutton. It was true, he had missed the presence of her always showing him something new, showing off her ballet skills, and as of one time last week, snuggling up next to him watching Shrek. He was just as crazy about Sutton as he was James. He knew why James had wanted him to pursue this pilot episode, but it had been clear, very clear, that he was over it. He wanted to be with James and Sutton and in little podunk, redneck Grayson, Georgia, a place he used to tease Chad about when they were growing up. But now? Now, it was the only place he wanted to be.


James had been unexpected, just like the whole trip to Grayson had been unexpected. He'd dated models and actresses but most of them had been shallow and had only satisfied him physically. They were hard to talk to because of the wall they'd put up on the first date, except when the date was nearly over and then they'd start the process of seducing. This usually led to a second date and maybe a third, but it wore off because there was nothing but physical attraction, no depth, no hope of a decent conversation. With James, he had immediately felt like he could be open and honest with her about any and everything. This unexpected woman had changed him for the good.


Friday morning, JC woke up early and immediately called James. It was almost nine on the other side of the coast and he knew she'd be at the coffee shop.


"Hey," she greeted him, and he could hear her shuffling back to the office.


"Busy?" he asked, sitting up in bed and propping up against a pillow.


"No. What are you doing up so early? What time do you have to be at the set?"


"Not til nine but I just wanted to call you. I can't wait to see you,"

"I can't wait to see you, either,"


He could almost hear her smiling. "Can you take off all day Saturday?"


"I already did,"

"And Sunday?"


"Done," she paused and then said, "And Sutton is spending Saturday and Sunday night with my parents."


"Really?"


"You said you wanted me in the room for 48 hours so I'm holding you to that,"


JC chuckled, "I think I'll be doing the holding, baby," 

 

James laughed quietly, "Oh yeah? Okay, no complaints here,"

 

"How's the shop?"  


"Really going well. Lots of customers. And I found a recipe for a mocha frappe that I want to try out next week. It'll be the new summer drink,"


"I can't wait to try it,"


They talked for the next half hour until there was a slight emergency in the front of the shop and all James had told JC was that the espresso machine was jammed and Kaylie was freaking out about it. "I'd better go. I'll see you tomorrow morning,"


"Yes, you will," JC said.


"Have fun today," James told him. 


"I love you," he responded and ended the call, smiling to himself as he placed his phone on his bedside table. Just a few more hours and he'd be back where his heart had been the entire week.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: court daddyjc abusiveex boyfriendjc