The rest of the week James spent prepping for Brewster's booth to be ready to open for the Shrimp Festival at 3pm on Friday. Between that and her upcoming date with JC, she hadn't slept very much in the last few nights. She also had rarely seen JC at all because after work she spent getting ready for the festival. She hadn't told anyone at work about her date, and was especially careful to allude to any of it, particularly around Kaylie, who she figured would go and Tweet something about her boss having a date with JC Chasez.


Chad left for Atlanta with Lane late Friday afternoon. James had dropped Sutton off at her parents that morning to spend the weekend since she'd be at the Shrimp Festival most of the weekend. Her mother had been thrilled when James had told her about her pending date with JC, although James assumed it wasn't just because it was JC, rather, it was a man asking Mrs. Ryan's only daughter out and James knew her mother had worried about her and Sutton from the time James had discovered she was pregnant. 


Saturday came before James knew it. She wasn't supposed to be at the booth until 8:30 that morning, but because she knew she had to look especially nice, she'd gotten up earlier. She went through her closet three or four times before finally deciding on a black cotton sundress that she paired with capri black leggings and red flip flops to pop some color. She tucked her makeup bag in her purse before she left so that she could re-apply mid-afternoon. She wondered if her co-workers would suspect anything because normally they wore jeans and a t-shirt with Brewster's logo on it. If anything, she could say she was the owner and felt like dressing up. Besides, the gig would be up when JC came to meet up with her later.


James left a note on the kitchen counter before she left, giving JC instructions as to where Chad's spare key was to his Jeep Wrangler, which hardly had been driven since Chad had bought his dream car, some sort of Audi sports car that James could never remember the name of. She reminded JC in the note about where her booth would be (in front of the shop) and that she'd see him at 4:00 that afternoon. She was thankful she worked in a coffee shop. She was definitely going to need coffee to stay awake all day. Either that or run on adrenaline.


Main Street was already bustling with activity by 8:00 that morning. The booths didn't open until 9, but a few broke the rules and started selling their goods by 8:30 and because the festival had been going on for so long, people knew which booths to hit early.  When she got to the shop, Kaylie and Hunter were both waiting outside, both nearly falling asleep against the side of the wall outside.


"Late night?" James chuckled, as she took her keys out and opened the door.


"There was a party last night at this guy, Kirby Brown's house. It ran a little late," Hunter mumbled. "Madison's on her way." 


"Just make sure you're up for a busy morning," James reminded them, as they all walked into the coffee shop. James immediately began to get things ready to take back outside and put Hunter and Kaylie on duty at the booth until 12, when Deane and Kelvin would be coming in to take over.  James would man the booth with Madison and then Lesly would come to relieve Madison at 12 as well. 


The morning seemed to drag for James and she knew it was only because she was anxious about what lie ahead at 4:00. She'd been thinking about it all week and several times had told herself it wasn't a real date. But Chad had told her she was being stupid, that of course it was a real date, and to stop second guessing everything, which James knew she had a tendency to do. She focused on pouring coffee, getting pastries, and making sandwiches and tried not to let her mind wander too far, but she couldn't help not to. JC had wanted to go to the Shrimp Festival with her. Granted, he hadn't really met anyone else, but still. She could think of about five girls she went to college with that would have killed to be in her shoes back when Nsync was the most famous musical act in the world. And then she started doubting herself. JC had been everywhere, he'd seen a lot of stuff, and she knew he'd dated a lot of women. James had had two relationships, one in high school that lasted for a year and then the horrible three-year relationship with Clay that had produced Sutton, but also had given her a negative view on men for a while. It was just a date, just one date. That was it. She tried to reason with herself by repeating the mantra in her head. But when she looked at the clock and saw it was 3:30, her heart began to race and she wondered if she was going to make a huge mistake by going out with him. She'd been hurt by Clay so bad that she wondered if her heart would ever be honest with her again.
**

JC got into Chad's jeep and rested his head on the steering wheel before he started the engine. Chad had talked with him a few nights before, giving him a small warning that James' heart was pretty raw and that she had been hurt a lot in the past. He wasn't trying to lecture JC, but Chad knew James better than anyone and he knew how vulnerable she was feeling about this date. 


"Look, I'm not saying not to pursue her because I really think you two would be great together. All I'm saying is that if you are going to pursue her to just be careful," Chad had said. "I know she's not expecting you to proclaim your love for her on your first date, but tomorrow morning if you wake up and decide you don't want to take her out again, tell her."


"I will," JC had answered. "The last thing I want to do is hurt her."


"Then just be honest with her," Chad's reply. "Honesty is really important to James. I'm pretty sure all Clay did was lie to her about everything so if she knows she can trust you, you're golden."


JC kept replaying that conversation in his head as he drove towards the center of town. He replayed it as he parked the car at the edge of Main Street. He replayed it walking down Main Street, now adorned with booths all selling a plethora of crafts, arts, homemade jams and jellies, and then he saw the familiar Brewster's logo in front of one of the booths and regained his composure. 


"Hi, how are you," a young college aged girl greeted him, he assumed Deane. "Can I get you an iced latte? It's a Brewster's specialty!"


"No, thank you. I'm actually looking for James," JC replied, with a smile. 


The girl nodded, "Sure thing. She's in the shop. I can go get her or -"


"Actually, I'll just go in to the shop. Thanks. I might come back later for that latte," JC said, as he walked up on the sidewalk and into the coffee shop. James was standing behind the counter, her back turned from him, talking with another employee.


"Hey," JC greeted her and she immediately turned around.


"Hi!" James grinned at him, and took off her apron. "Les, are you sure you can handle this?"


"Yes, I'm fine," Lesly told her, shaking her head. James had finally let it slip to Lesly where she was going at 4:00. "Y'all have a fun time. I'll see you on Monday."


"Sure thing," James waved at Lesly and then walked from behind the counter over to JC. "Ready to see the best Shrimp Festival in the world?"


"Are there competing ones?" JC teased her, and James rolled her eyes playfully.


"If there are, they can't compete with ours!" she answered him and they walked outside. 


James started off by starting at the beginning of Main and showing JC some of the more famous booths that had been a staple at the festival for years. On the way down, she pointed out the different buildings, some of which had just been renovated to loft apartments and offices, like Chad's and Lane's. JC was actually interested in this bit of history and James was at ease with how easy they were conversing back and forth with one another. It didn't take long to walk through the entire festival, which ended with a stage set up at the end of Main Street and a large spray painted placard that read "The Big'un Lester Band."


"What's a big'un?" JC asked as they walked closer to the stage.


"You mean who is Big'un," James corrected him, waiting for him to gawk, which he promptly did.


"Big'un's a name?!" JC had heard of some strange names in his lifetime, but not ever Big'un.


"Well it's a nickname. Big'un Lester's first name is Brian Lester, but, well, he's a little on the larger side and so we've just always called him Big'un," James explained.


"You know him?" JC was still in shock and kept looking at the sign as though he expected it to change.


"Oh, sure. He was a year behind me in high school. He's had his band forever. They perform every year. They're kind of famous here in Grayson. Not anywhere else, mind you, but Grayson is as good as they're gonna get," James said.


"Are they any good?" JC asked her.


James shrugged, "You're a singer, you tell me. He's performing in a half hour. We could go get some shrimp and then come back and listen," she suggested, to which JC agreed.


They walked back towards one of the shrimp booths and JC ordered a platter of fried shrimp and french fries. James ordered boiled shrimp and fries and they both found a picnic table nearby to squeeze into. At that moment, James looked up and saw Kaylie and Madison walking toward them, both with plates of fried shrimp. Kaylie waved excitedly when she saw James and then blushed when she saw JC. 


"Hi!" Kaylie walked over to them, Madison behind her. "We're about to listen to Big'un. How do you like the Shrimp Festival?" Kaylie asked JC.


"It's definitely like nothing else I've ever been to. Lots of fun," JC smiled at her. 


"Have you been here since you got off work?" James asked.


"No, we went back to Kaylie's and took a nap. We're supposed to meet up with Hunter and some other people from school before Big'un plays," Madison answered.


Kaylie was suspiciously looking from James to JC and back and then blurted, "Wait a minute. Are y'all on a date?!" 


"Kaylie!" Madison gasped and shook her head. "Why do you always think that just because a guy and a girl are out together that automatically puts them on a date?"


JC looked at James and winked before he said, "Actually, we are on a date."


"But please don't Tweet about it!" James put in. 


"I'll make sure she doesn't," Madison assured them. "Ok, c'mon Kaylie, let's go find the others."  The girls said good-bye and then trailed off, Kaylie glancing back every now and then.


"Welcome to Grayson. Can't ever do a damn thing on the sly or you'll get found out," James sighed, peeling a shrimp.


JC shrugged. "Oh well. Doesn't matter. I'm cool if you are."


James wanted to remind JC that he didn't have to go back to work on Monday and face what was sure to be a roll of questions from Kaylie. But she didn't and told herself she'd think about that later.

They finished eating and then walked back over to the staging area. A light breeze had started to blow and James shivered. Before she could protest, JC took off his denim jacket and put it around her shoulders, leaving his arm draped around her back. 


The music started to play and out walked one of the tallest and also, widest, men JC had ever seen. He wore ripped blue jeans, a t-shirt with the Confederate flag proudly on display and a bandana tied around his large forehead. The crowd went wild, except for James who clapped softly. His first song was awful. JC could hardly believe this guy was so popular around here. The notes were flat and the song, if that's what you wanted to call it, was all about Big'un's pet blood hound, Doo, who lived a long life and had to be put down but that Big'un would meet him at the pearly gates.


When the song ended, James turned around to look up at JC and they both tried not to burst out laughing. "Is he serious with that?" JC asked, as the crowd yet again went wild. 


"Unfortunately, yes," James laughed. "We don't have to stay for anymore. C'mon, let's go get ice cream."


They walked back down Main Street in the opposite direction and could hear Big'un wailing about a lost love who'd left him for a rich Atlanta man.


Main Street wasn't nearly as crowded by now, as most people were down by the staging area or leaving. They got ice cream and found an empty spot on the curb and sat down.


"This is fun, James," JC said, after taking a bite of ice cream. "I mean it. I'm having a great time."


"I'm glad. Me, too," James smiled. "I'm glad you wanted me to show you the Shrimp Festival. I love it. I know it's cheesy and they have the same stuff and the entertainment is terrible," they both laughed at that, "but it's just a reminder of when I was little and my parents would bring me here every year. Sutton loves it, too."


"She's a great kid," JC told her. "I haven't been around kids a lot. I was a little nervous when Chad told me I'd be sharing the house with a five-year-old. But she's awesome."


"I think she thinks the same of you," James licked her strawberry cone. "She told me you liked playing with her and Uncle Chad. That means a lot. She's not had a lot of men in her life, other than my dad and obviously Chad."


JC waited before he asked his next question. "Do you mind me asking what happened? I mean, Chad's told me a little, but, well, never mind. If it's too soon and not a first date thing, I get it."


"No, it's fine," James assured him. She sighed and took another bite of ice cream. "I met Clay in college. He was a charmer and won me right away. But about three months into the relationship, I caught him making out with another girl at a party. I tried to break up with him, but he assured me he was drunk and would never do it again and like an idiot, I believed him." James sighed again, forgetting how difficult it was to bring up her past. "And so this continued more or less for the rest of my college career and then into graduate school. When I got the job in Orlando, he was furious and didn't want me to go, but I knew it was for the best. We'd more or less broken up when he came to see me. But unfortunately, he was a charmer, like I said, and we slept together that weekend. I found out I was pregnant with Sutton two months later. We'd kept in touch, but I knew the relationship was over. But you know, when it's the father of your baby, you want to think he might come back around or at least I did." James paused. 


She wondered if she should continue. No one knew about the fight she'd had with Clay that night he'd come back to Orlando and she'd told him she was pregnant. She looked at JC and saw the concern in his eyes. She was risking a lot by telling him because she hadn't ever brought it up. "I-well, anyway, so he came to Orlando again and I told him I was pregnant. And he hit me. He threw me against the wall and just kept hitting me." James closed her eyes and shook her head. "And I kept telling him to stop, that I was pregnant and I didn't want him to hurt the baby, but he didn't. He left and I called the ambulance because I was pretty bad and I was worried that he'd hurt the baby." James felt herself tearing up at the fright she was conjuring up from so long ago. She quickly wiped her eyes and continued, "But thank God the baby was fine and I just had a lot of bruises. I didn't leave the house for a good week. The hospital wanted me to file charges but I didn't want to. I knew that would just bring him back around and I wanted him gone and away from me forever."


"James," JC pulled her to him. "I shouldn't have asked you. I'm so sorry that happened to you."


"It's okay," she slowly pulled away from him. "If it hadn't of happened, he could've weasled his way back into my life. But he didn't. And I have the most amazing little girl in the world and he doesn't."

James could feel JC's eyes still on her. She looked up and felt his lips crash down onto hers.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: court daddyjc abusiveex boyfriendjc