July 21, 11

On the way to rehearsal…

"How's Rochelle?" she asks AJ.
"She's doing good."
"I bet. Jordan, how's life?"
"Good and peaceful for my personal one, crazy and chaotic for my public one," he says, glancing at her. JC makes her so happy and the kids love him. Never has her friend seen her this happy and she likes the happier Sam-she's calmer. I talk to Dawn every so many days, filling her in on what's going on for the kids. I guess somewhere near JC's birthday they're going to see his family in Maryland and Chicago, somehow seeing hers as well somewhere in that time period.
"Icky, what's on that complex and peanut sized thing people call your mind?" she teases me.
"Whatever, little one. Just thinking about how you've been on cloud 9 since JC came into your life and how you've been crazy busy."
"Yeah, he's been great to us."
"He's been looking for someone like you for a long time and he hasn't been this happy in years."

Just as we pull up, I couldn't hold in the gas any longer. "What the fuck did you eat, Icky?" she asks, darting out of the car.
"Egg, ham and cheese sandwich from Dunkin."
"That's worse than ever, Cropduster," Jordan confesses, holding his nose.
"That fucking reeks, man! That beats out the food from Puerto Rico and Mexico! God damn!" AJ hollers.
"Who'd've thunk your nose still works after touring with him for this long?" she says, teasing us both.
"Hey! It doesn't stink that bad!" I defend myself.
They slam the car doors shut and lean on them. "Breathe deep!" AJ tells me.

I do it and gag, realizing how wrong I was. They open the doors and I get out, hunching over with my hands on my knees as I gasp for air in the parking lot. I see Brian's shoes stand in front of me. "AJ Dutch ovened you in the car, didn't he?"
"With my own gas," I wheeze out.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story