I walk down the hall to the kitchen with my nails scratching my scalp and spot Nick asleep slouched on James’ couch, his head held up by his hand on the arm of the furniture. I groan as quietly as possible, wondering how he found out and hoping Aaron hasn’t found out yet. Does James know Nick’s here? Why isn’t he in a guest room? Who saw me where last night?

As I make some Toaster Strudels, the strawberry & cheese kind, I recall my steps since leaving Josh’s with James. We got in his car, grabbed some food and got gas before coming here. I know I passed out on the couch, but somehow awoke in one of his guest rooms and Nick in his living room. He talked to someone while I was engulfed in my texting marathon with Dawn in the grocery store, telling her everything that’s gone down between Josh and I since I’d gotten home with the kids yesterday. I pray she doesn’t tell Skuxx, not yet.

A text causes my phone to play a song I haven’t heard in a few days that signifies her sister Beth. I follow the tone to the charger pad in James’ office and check it, chuckling at it’s content. I send one back and shove the small device into my back pocket. I resume my breakfast routine, slowly eating the pastries and text Josh.

Are the kids off to school?

Yes, I drove them and I’m on the way to Lance’s. Can we talk?

HULYM?! Nick’s here!

I fire back, asking if he gone insane.

Okay, ‘hulym’ means ‘have you lost your mind?’

Oh, shit! Can you get out unseen?

No, Nick’s in the LR.

I sigh, my cell scaring me when it rings and I race onto the patio. I close the French doors, making sure the lock is disengaging and consider ignoring it because of the caller. Josh’s text comes in. Can you get L to bring you home? Or I can send Tyler for you. I drag my finger across the screen, silencing the ringer.

I’ll ask L unless Nick wakes up first.

Love you. I want to fix this, work it out. Could we talk? Alone?

I love you. I’ll try.

James comes out to where I’m sitting, his cell beeping every few seconds. "I hope you know he’s blowing up this up," he informs me, putting his phone beside me unlocked and rubs his face sleepily with a yawn.

"I ignored his call just a few minutes ago," I say, sighing.

"Call him." He waves at me over his shoulder, walking back into the house.

I look at the phones for a couple minutes, contemplating on whether I should call my younger cousin or not. I hear a familiar growling approaching and softly whine to myself, dropping my head onto the railing. "Either you call A or I do and I will not sugar coat anything," he snarls at me.

"I don’t have a choice?"

"You calling or am I?"

"Fine," I cave, throwing my hands up. I grab my phone and call him back.

"It takes me setting fire to Lance and my brother’s phones for you to call back?" he snips at me.

"Don’t even start," I beg him.

"What happened?"

"Josh listened to Justin’s BS and drank some, grabbed me too tightly."

"What do you consider ‘BS’?"

"Animal vid auditions with Ryan Gosling and Justin convinced Josh I was cheating," I explain.

"Didn’t you say and prove your dedication to him before?" he inquires.

"Yeah."

"I’ll talk to them."

"Leave Josh to me."

"I’m coming to you, be ready in 45 sharp."

"But-"

"45 sharp," he growls, immediately disconnecting the call.

I slam my hand on the railing, irritated. "I hate when he does this shit."

"He’s bringing you home to talk to JC?" Nick asks.

"Mmm."

"He wants to mediate."

"Right," I scoff, dragging out the single syllable.

Nick chuckles. "He does meddle, but it’s his way of trying to help."

"I know, but he needs to quit when I say enough."

He arrives and comes in, upset but not too mad. "Sam!" he yells into the house.

"We’re out here," Nick calls over his shoulder, taking a sip of his tea after.

Aaron stands in the doorway, the frame holding him up. "You ready?"

"Could you just drop me off and I’ll call you if I can’t get through to him?"

He scrunches his face up. "No."

"How are Josh and I supposed to solve anything with so many people meddling in our relationship?"

He sighs, scrubbing hands over his face with an aggravated groan. "Fine, but you call Nick if JC won’t listen."

Nick gets a pissed look on his face, turning to his little brother. "When did I offer to get her?"

"I’m not driving back if I get half way home."

"I’m going home myself."

"I haven’t been home for more than a couple hours, hardly enough time with Dawn and we have plans."

"Fine! Fuck it! It’s not like I have a girlfriend I have to spend time with either," he retorts, texting someone.

I get a call from Kitshanya, one of Kailey and Kiasha’s cousins and a good friend of mine. "Hello?"

"What in the fuck does he mean by if you and JC can’t work out this shit that he’s going to have to get you?" she angrily questions me.

"Aaron refuses to drive back to get me if he’s ½ way home or further."

"You better plan on us staying at my house then."

I shoot Aaron an extremely pissed glare, making my displeasure with him known. "That’s fine. Kits, would you be up for a movie either way?"

"Us girls only, dinner split only because we need to talk."

"Of course, milady."

We laugh, hanging up a minute or two later and I put my phone on the table. Nick matches his eyes to mine, worried Kits is mad at him. "Well?"

"She said if you have to get me, we’re staying at her house and us girls have a date night regardless."

He sighs, dropping his head back and runs his hands through his hair. "I guess. Just save my ass," he requests.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: daddyjc jc lance