With her tour postponed and all interviews indefinately cancelled due to Demitryus' medical emergency, she's been focusing on her children and fmily. She has a press conferencelater today with a few magazines and TV stations at the Staples arena. I'll go with her for support and she hardly speaks anymore, close to two weeks now. She's gone home to check on the 4 children, all questions having been answered by Aaron and I and they've been watched over by Dawn and Beth on a constant basis.

At the press conference, 15 minutes until it begins...

"Are you sure you can do this, Sam?" I softly ask, hugging her close to me.

She nods, sniffling. "I have to, Nick. My fans deserve to know why everything has been called off until things get better."

"Okay."

We sit in the chairs a few minutes before it begins, Usher explaining to the media that she's only going to discuss why her tour and interviews have been postponed and that it's a very personal matter. We take a few deep breaths and the conference begins. "I'm here to inform my fans that I have postponed my tour, new singles, photo shoots and interviews due to a family emergency," she tells them, looking sleep deprived and emotionally empty.

"What sort of family emergency could warrant this to happen?" a representative from People asks her.

"My son, Demitryus, has just been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer and it's too late for the doctors to do anything, his life expectancy is less than 6 months."

"What kind of cancer is it?" someone from MTV questions her.

"It's a double edge sword, lukemia and lung cancer. His lungs have begun filling with fluid and he is connected to all these tubes and wires and IVs. It hurts us all to see him like this, this isn't him. He's usually so energetic and full of life, always smiling. He's usually the one to smile at all of you and make you laugh." She's fighting back her tears with every word she speaks, losing with the last one.

I loop my arm around her and pull her to my side, her body leaning in the chair. "Our hearts are breaking to see him like this," I comment, pointing to a picture beside me that we had taken last night, "when we're so used to him being like this." I say, pressing play on the remote to play a home video of the last time we had all gotten together. "He's so sick that he isn't awake more than a few hours a day, looks so pale and just lethargic since the night she and JC had performed Animal. They've even agreed to postpone their vows if neccesary."

We answer a handful worth of questions and we end it, leaving to go back to being back at his side at the hospital. Paramore's Emergency coming on the radio and she tearfully sings it word for word. Her cell phone begins going off with FB notifications, Alpha 5 repeatedly saying "Ay yi yi yi yi!" practically back to back and almost over lapping. She sniffles and sadly laughs. "They're so sweet and understanding, not caring about their money," she tells me, scrolling through the wall posts from fans. Her Twitter followers begin mentioning her, having the same things to say and they're nothing but understanding. My fans are mentioning me as well in their tweets to her, posting on my FB and tagging me in the wall posts for her.

"They're tagging and mentioning me as well?" I ask.

"Yeah, and everyone else on FB and putting up multiple tweets to include everyone we're associated with, even Dawn and Beth."

"Most fans care about us, but some will get mad. Post an address for them to send letters and cards to for Lil Man."

She types something on her phone, posting it to all her pages she has fans on and turns off her phone. She props her foot against the door and watches the scenery as we pass everything, focused on our current issue with Demitryus' health.

Hello, hello is any one home?

Hello, hello just pick up the phone

I opened up my life to you

I've told you everything I knew

You listen so closely to

You listen so closely when love was just a way out

But you're going deaf now

Yeah, you've turned your head around

Hello, hello is anyone home?

Hello, hello just pick up the phone

You'll be sorry to hear, I'm doing fine now

Sorry to hear you're without me now

You blew up the world I built for us

Destroyed out secret universe

Threw out the trust I put in you

Making me feel like I'd been used

And now I'm reminded

That I was just blinded

Hello, hello is anyone home?

Hello, hello just pick up the phone

You'll be sorry to hear that I'm doing fine now

Sorry to hear you're without me now

I'm doing fine, you'll be alright

Maybe you'll think of me tonight

You're doing fine, I'll be alright

Just give me time, yeah

Hello, hello is anyone home?

Hello, hello just pick up the phone

I don't want to hear you're doing fine

Don't wanna hear I'm without you now

I'm without you now

She randomly sings when something is eating away at her, but as she begins to recite the Our Father prayer is when I know she needs us all the most. She never says that prayer, not if it isn't serious and I can see the fear in her heart by the way she acts.

"Our Father who art in Heaven

Hallowed be Thy Name;

Thy kingdom come

Thy will be done

on Earth as it is in Heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread

And forgive us for our tresspasses

as we forgive those who tresspass against us;

Lead us not into temptation

But deliver us from evil. Amen."

"You're scared out of your mind."
"He's only a child."

"He won't ever be forgotten, not by us or anyone else."

"I think I want to move the wedding up," she quietly admits.

"It could destroy you both."

"It could make us stronger."

"That's up to you and JC." We stop at a red light and I look over to see her head bob in agreement.

We gte to Demitryus' room and she pulls JC aside, telling him her kakameme idea. "Baby, I love you and I know you want him to be there when we exchange our vows, but we should see if he pulls through this enough to make it to just after Aaliyah's birthday and then we'll decide, okay?"

He's trying to put it off for at least 3 weeks, wanting to keep his attention on their son. "If he starts getting really bad, can we do it before then?"

"If he doesn't get better in a week, we will revisit this idea. Deal?" he barters, kissing her forehead and pulls her into one of his reassuring hugs. She nods with her head pressed to his pecs, arms around each other and his hands rub her back. "Let's spend what time we have with him."

Aaron's sitting on the edge of the window sill, leaning on it more than anything and angrily darts out of the room. I follow him, finding him down the hall with his head on his arm that's propped on the wall and banging the side of his free balled up fist on the wall pretty hard. I stride over and grab his hand. "It's not going to make anything better doing that," I remind him.

He turns to me, arms limply stay at his sides as I pull him into a hug and he cries. "It's not fair," he growls through the emotional display. "He's a kid, not even getting the chance to see his tenth birthday!" he yells, pushing me away as Angel, BJ, Kaden, Taelyn and Ginger show up.

"I'm so sorry, but we had to finish school first," Taelyn informs me, explaining why Kaden and she hadn't come yet.

"BJ and I had modeling gigs in Indonesia," Ange tells me.

"Ginger?"

"Dad turned my phone off and I found out when I saw the press conference on the news."

Ange takes one look at Aaron and pulls him in for a hug, the rest of us joining in to comfort him. "Nick! Aaron!" I hear Dawn yell for us. I look at her over my brothers' and sisters' heads, her hands motioning us to come to her. "Come here!"

We look at each other with hope in our eyes, wishing only for the best and run down to his room. We all skid around the corner into his room. "Justin?" his small voice requests, Justin stepping up to the bed and taking hold of his tiny hand.

"Yeah, Baby D?" he asks, tears in his eyes.

"Sing Take A Ride?"

Justin does as is requested, launching into Like I Love You after and he continues to sing for one of his favorite kids, bouncing from one of the small boy's favorite songs to the next. He knows all of his favorite songs and that's one thing that caused them to bond. He stops after singing Lenny's I Belong To You and Thinking Of You. Sam curls up to her son's other side, cradling him to her body and silently sobs. JC is torn up from the inside out, trying his hardest to be the strongest. Sam's mom has called everyday since she found out, the calls being for updates and to talk to her grandchild for a few minutes. I'm glad all our fans have posted nothing but get well wishes and positivity and send love and prayers for this small child, wanting him to get better. I'm beginning to believe it's working, he just smiled although he's still exhausted. I silently pray for his health to make a turn for the better and thank the Heavens for his smile, something we haven't seen since the night he was dropped off at Joey's. I think of one song and begin to sing it. Toni's Unbreak My Heart is what came to mind as I sit on the side of the bed Justin had just stepped away from enough for me to sit. These kids have brought nothing but joy and laughter into our lives, some of it being nonsensical. I'd really be torn up if we lost any of them, I think we all would be.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: daddyjc jc lance