Author's Chapter Notes:

Story is fiction; original characters are mine. 

Hey all! My muse has been really chatty recently and I got inspired. I'm really happy with this chapter. Everything came together well. There's more language than usual in this chapter because of content. Just a warning. I hope y'all enjoy it.

The month of April passed without notoriety. JC went to his weekly treatments and as he predicted, the symptoms worsened. Constant nausea, frequent vomiting and diarrhea, debilitating headaches and muscle pain plagued his days. Remind me again why I’m doing this. This is worse than the original sickness. Sometimes he didn’t even leave his bed and slept in 18 hour spurts.

Jenna was unable to come over again, as she had an increased workload that month. Regardless, she made sure to call several times a week to check on him. Those calls were one of the highlights of his life. He almost forgot about his sickness when he talked to her. However, he wanted to know more about her. They always talked about his problems. Surely she was a person underneath it all. Someone who had hopes, dreams, and regrets just as he did. He made a note to ask her some personal questions the next time she came over.

One afternoon in early May, he felt well enough to have company. Visitation from friends had been limited due to his weakened condition. He decided to invite Jenna over since he hadn’t seen her in a month. “Hey, could you come by for a minute this evening? I haven’t seen you in a while.”
The phone sent the text. What are you doing to me, girl? You’re the first one in a long time I’ve let get even remotely close.
He glanced around his bedroom. What a miracle, I’m out of bed today. He’d spent the last two bedfast due to the disease. He only had vague recollections of Karen checking on him from time to time. The woman barely took any time for herself. While he appreciated her efforts, he didn’t want her to lose herself in this process. Trauma fucks with self-esteem and self-worth, he’d learned over the last few years. And once you let it steal that away from you, it was war to get it back. And right now, he wasn’t sure he was up to the fight.
I love the roar of mental unrest in the morning, he smirked to himself as he headed downstairs.

His parents were sitting on the back porch. Karen had her iPad, possibly working on her writing. Roy read the newspaper. He chuckled internally. That was ironic, considering each personality.
“Well, look who’s joined the living,” Roy remarked with a wry smile. “How are you feeling, son?”
JC smiled back. “I’m alive. That’s the most I can say these days. I need to sit down; walking here from my room worn me out.”
“Of course, honey.” Karen stood up from her seat. “Can I get you anything?”
“Water and maybe a simple sandwich would be good.” He sat down.
“Coming right up.” Karen headed in the house.
“Have you heard from Eric lately?” Roy asked.
JC shook his head. “No. I’m not surprised. We’ve faked this ‘friendship’ for years. I should just tell him to leave. But I don’t because I’m too nice.”
“It sounds like neither of you benefit from talking to each other.”
“That’s the thing, Dad. We don’t. And yet we still go through the motions. I haven’t had many real people in my life for a long time. People who actually care about my wellbeing. This experience is teaching me who I can really count on. And that number is a depressing few.”
“As you get older, quality becomes more important anyway.” Roy replied.
JC’s phone buzzed. Eric’s name appeared on the screen. “Speak of the devil.” The text read: “Mind if I swing by for a second?”
“What does he want?”
“To come over. I don’t know if I’m ready.”
“Josh, that time may never come. And then you’ll be miserable with someone who adds nothing positive to your life. Sometimes you have to swallow fear and stand up for yourself.”
JC gulped. “You got a point. Here goes nothing.” He typed back: “Yeah sure. When?”
“You can do this, Josh. Your life will be so much better without him.”
“Thanks, Dad.”
Karen then came out with a glass of water and a Rueben sandwich. “Thank you, Mom. That looks great.”
“You’re welcome.” She kissed his forehead. “Are you going to invite company? You haven’t had much recently.”
“Well, Eric wants to come over. I told him he could. We need to talk, anyway. Also, I invited Jenna but she hasn’t responded yet. Oh… I hope they aren’t here at the same time.”
“Why is that a problem?” Roy asked.
“They don’t get along. When Jenna worked at Jive, she had to deal with him because no one else wanted to. Their personalities don’t mix.”
“Gee, I wonder why.” Roy replied sarcastically. “I hope not for your sake, then. Although it might make for an entertaining show.”
“Roy Chasez! That’s not funny!” Karen chided.
JC shook his head. “You’re a smartass sometimes, Dad.”
“Sorry, I shouldn’t make fun. I’d love to give the guy an earful, but it’s more entertaining watching someone else do it!”
“I wish I could be the spectator. But I have to do this.” His phone buzzed again. Both Jenna and Eric had replied at the same time. I think I’ll read Jenna’s first.
“Sure. I can’t guarantee a time since I have a deadline to meet, but I’ll try.”
Eric’s, on the other hand, invited himself over. “I’ll be there around 7.”
JC scoffed. “Geez, he doesn’t even have the decency to ask me if a time was okay.”
“And that surprises you because?” Roy asked.
“I shouldn’t be. Everything he does now pisses me off, it seems like. I just hope he and Jenna aren’t here at the same time.”
Roy raised his eyebrow. “That bad, huh?”
JC nodded. “He ranted about her several times.”

Jenna arrived around a quarter to seven that evening. JC answered the door. “Hey! Glad you made it!”
She gasped and placed her hands on her month.
“It’s okay, Jenna, It’s me. I’m still the same guy.”
She fanned her eyes. “You look a lot frailer than the last time I saw you. Sorry, that just took me aback for a second.”
He waved his hand. “It’s fine. You’re not the only one. Can I get a hug?”
“Of course.” She put her arms around him a little tighter this time. He caught a whiff of her honeysuckle perfume. Sweetness with an edge, just like her. It does feel good to have her in my arms. I wish I didn’t have to let go.
But they did a moment later. “Jen, I’ll go ahead and warn you. Eric is supposed to be here in a few minutes. We need to talk about some of our issues.”
Jenna scowled but nodded. “I’ll hold my tongue if he holds his.”
“Don’t worry; I’ll try to make it as painless as possible.” He glided fingers along the edge of her waves.
She smiled slightly. “I know you will.”

Eric followed about 10 minutes later. After exchanging fake pleasantries with each other and Roy and Karen, the duo headed to the living room. Jenna was on the couch, reading a novel she brought with her. Eric’s gaze landed on her immediately. “What’s she doing here?”
“She’s here because we’re friends and I want her here.”
“You need to watch who you’re friends with, JC.” Eric replied.
Out of the corner of his eye, JC could see Jenna smirk and attempting to stifle a laugh. I agree, Jen. That’s hilarious coming from him.
“What are you laughing at, bitch?” Eric spat.
“Nothing.” Jenna still couldn’t keep a straight face.
“You’re laughing at me, aren’t you? DON’T DENY IT!”
Jenna shrugged and shut her book. “Why do you bother pretending to care about him, Eric? You didn’t when I was at the record label.”
“Oh sure I did, sugar,” Eric sneered. “I worked every damn day to make sure those assholes gave my friend here a fair shake.”
If you call a fair shake cursing out executives and making my situation worse, go right ahead.
“Funny. I only seem to remember you trying to woo me on a date when I was in a steady relationship.” Jenna replied.
“Then why are you here? Gonna take advantage of his good heart and steal some of his money because that’s all you want anyway?”
Jenna put her hands on her hips and stepped forward. “I am here because he’s my friend and I care about how he’s doing. I could have married rich if I wanted to. But I didn’t. You know why? Love matters more.”
“You haven’t kept in contact with him! You’re no better than those other bastards at Jive.”
Jenna rolled her eyes. “Friends lose contact sometimes. For your information, I was the only one who tried to talk to him after that meeting.”
“Oh you fat ugly lying slut!”
I’ve heard enough. He has no business calling her names. “STOP!” JC croaked. “Stop. Eric, come outside with me. Excuse us for a moment, Jenna.”
“Gladly.” Jenna’s face had increased five shades of red from Eric’s jab.
JC led Eric to his back porch wordlessly.

“What the FUCK was that, man?” JC asked the second his back door shut. “You didn’t need to attack her like that.”
“What am I supposed to do? Take her shit lying down? If someone’s damaging my character, I’m going to defend myself.”
It wasn’t an attack on your character; it was an accurate assessment. “You didn’t do shit for me and you know it.”
Eric gasped. “Excuse me? I fought with them day in and day out to give you a chance. They didn’t listen so I used harsher words to make a point.”
“You can make your point without resorting to insults, Eric.”
Eric raised his eyebrow. “Oh? And we haven’t been exchanging insults at each other for God knows how long because we secretly hate each other?”
Damn, he’s got me there. “Okay, you’re right.”
“You have no idea how much shit I get for still managing your ass. I’ve been told many times that you’re talentless and not doing much. They say you’re holding me back from moving up in the industry?”
“And who are they?” JC crossed his arms.
“Fellow talent scouts at different labels.”
JC snorted. “But they don’t know me. They haven’t seen me work for hours on end to produce something I’m proud of. They haven’t seen me fight with elitist executives to give me one chance. Be honest, have you done anything to counteract their claims?”
“No. I don’t say anything. Which, I suppose, should speak for itself.”
“Then why are we faking this friendship, huh? Why are we still doing this?”
Eric scowled. “I don’t know, man. Why did you side with Miss Wide Waist over there? We’ve known each other for over 10 years! You should side with me over your flavor of the month.”
She’s not, she’s my friend. And how dare you insult her like that! That’s irrelevant in this conversation. “I didn’t take either side. I simply asked both of you to stop so we could talk about this privately.”
“She called me a fake! I’m a genuine person, JC. I always mean what I say and say what I mean. It was an insult!”
That’s news to me. “Then why did you admit you’ve been lying this whole time?”
Ire grew in Eric’s eyes. “What do you mean?”
“I’m not stupid. I can read between the lines. If you really cared about me, you’d have tried to correct those people laughing at me. But you didn’t, which could mean that you agree.” He shook his head. “You disgust me. I don’t want to look at you anymore.”
“You party all hours of the night while getting drunk, having sex with every woman on the block and not doing anything meaningful with your life.”
JC glared at him. He had increased his party a little over the past few years to numb the pain. Still, he could count on one hand the one night stands he’d had in his life. “What does that have to do with anything?”
“The same reason Jenna’s here. You’ll fuck her until the next hot thing comes along like the man whore you are.”
JC growled. “Fuck you, Eric. Get the fuck out of my house and out of my life.”
“Gladly, you piece of shit. You’ll never amount to anything without me. I’ll burn all your records in my office.”
“I don’t care. Just get the fuck off my back porch and never come around again.”
“Again, gladly.” Eric flipped him off and turned his back.
JC answered with another as he left. “Coward.” He muttered.” I don’t need your shit in my life right now anyway.” He sighed and put his hands on his neck. I’m so glad he’s gone. That fucking douche. What does my sex life have to do with him fucking up my career? I should have shouted at his ass. I’m probably not capable right now, though.

JC paced around and inhaled deep breaths for several minutes. He needed to calm down before he felt fit for normal conversation. He glanced at the kitchen window. Karen, Roy and Jenna were talking. Good. Maybe Mom can get used to the idea of Jenna being around if they talk one on one. Because I don’t want her to leave, especially after today. He sighed, rubbing the back of his neck. A disc in the middle had started throbbing. Maybe I could ask Jenna to give me a massage. No, that’s a couple thing. We’re not a couple. He closed his eyes, imagining her soft hands caressing his aching muscles. You’re venturing into dangerous territory here, Joshua. But maybe I want to. Maybe I need someone like her for times like this. He sighed again. Might as well go in. They’re probably wondering what happened.

The trio residing in the kitchen all turned their gazes toward JC as he entered.
“We’re finished.” He replied to answer their unspoken question. “I want absolutely nothing to do with him.”
“What did he say?”
“I rather not relive it. We exchanged words and I told him to leave. Which he did.”
“How do you feel?”
“Worn more than anything. That argument took so much out of me. I think I need to lie down.”
“That’s fine, honey. Do just that.” Karen kissed his forehead. “Can we get you anything?”
“Some ice water and a patch for my neck would be awesome.”
“Go lie down, son. We’ll take care of it.” Roy said.
JC nodded and headed towards the living room couch.

Karen and Jenna came in a few minutes later with his requests. Karen placed his glass on a coaster on the table in front of the couch. “Mom, could you get that blanket?”
“Sure, Josh.” She reached for it and began unfolding it.
JC propped himself up as Jenna sat down next to him. “I’m sorry if Eric and I stressed you out.”
“Don’t worry about it. How he treated you just put me in the right mindset.”
“Still, you shouldn’t have to deal with extraneous stress like that right now.”
He took a gulp of water. “I won’t have to after today. Especially if I have you here.”
She smiled. “Where does your neck hurt?”
“In the middle.” He whispered, rubbing where it hurt to demonstrate as Karen covered him with the blanket.
Jenna placed the patch on the spot. Tension left his body immediately as she smoothed it over. The pain also slowed. He sighed contentedly. I could use more of that touch. “Thank you, Jen.”
She smiled. “You’re welcome. You get some rest, okay? I’m going home.”
He nodded and fell asleep.





You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: postsync jc cancer tearjerker