Author's Chapter Notes:
This chapter was one of those 'hit a wall' types. Nonetheless, it is done and ready for you all to enjoy. I say it every time, but truly: thank you for taking the time to read this. it is my heart and soul.

Chapter 26

 

A bone chilling cold rain beat against the window the following morning. Much like his mood since awakening. The brief reprieve from being a cancer patient was over. The side effects of pressure headaches, churning stomach and nausea, and desert like dryness in his throat returned with a vengeance. Nor did he have the strength to get up and alleviate these ailments. 

 

Based on the results so far, JC doubted the new treatment was helping. Cancer introduced him to a new level of sickness he'd never experienced before nor fathomed could exist. 

However, these were about 10 steps up above that. Infinitely worse than the coughing fits that caused the whole ordeal in the first place! God why did I get involved with this? If I had known it would hurt like this, I would've withered away a long time ago. A tell-tale rumble emerged in his stomach. He barely had time to raise his head before the vomit ejected from his system. 

 

Roy and Karen rushed to his side. Liquid waste poured over his clothes and sheets. His mom got him to puke in a trash can for the remainder of the episode. His father then helped him to the bathroom to get cleaned up. JC was embarrassed his dad had to see him naked but didn't have the energy to care. Just as he was all cleaned up, the sickness started all over again which lead to more clean up. He glanced at his parents anguished faces several times and wished he was dead. That way they wouldn't have to deal with this mess. 

 

Clean sheets awaited him as he got back in bed. He moaned lightly with pleasure. The texture reminded him of Jenna.

“Are you comfortable, sweetheart?” Karen asked.

He nodded.  “Fine. Thanks.”

“You’re welcome. Do you need anything else?”

“Not now.”

“You must be exhausted. Get some sleep.”

He reached for her hand. “Hey. I really mean that. Thank you.”

She smiled through a watery gaze. “Anything to make this easier, Josh.” She kissed his forehead and left the room. I can’t leave yet. I can’t break my mom’s heart.

 

His thoughts returned to Jenna. Now would be the perfect time to have her here. After I've been through a hell hole and all the chaos has settled down. They could simply lie together, basking in the other's presence. But she's not here. She may never be again that to your desperate desire for female attention. She'll come back if she wants to. He closed his eyes and imagined her lying there with him. Maybe the thought's right. Maybe I'm so lonely that I'll accept any attention from a woman.

 

His device buzzed and once again Jenna’s name was on the screen. Didn’t take you long to make a decision, did it? “Hey Jenna.”

“Hey. You want to know something crazy?”

“What?”

“I miss you."

Wow, she really misses me? “What’s crazy about that?”

“You know how in the movies the love interests get into an argument and realize afterward how much they mean to each other? That’s what I feel right now and I didn’t expect it.”

JC chuckled. “Welcome to my life for the last three months! Glad to see you finally got the memo!”

“Oh I got it alright. I just wasn’t as vocal at first. It’s baffling to me that just a short time ago, we were essentially strangers. And now I can barely go a day without wanting to talk to you or be around you."

“Thank you. It’s nice to hear you feel that way.”

“It’s true. I keep thinking about yesterday and the night before last. I felt safe for the first time in years. Your touch has awakened me to something I didn’t realize I had missed.”

JC smiled. “So you’re not still mad at me?”

“Let’s just say I’d rather work through my feelings with you than without you. If you’ll allow it, that is. You have a lot on your plate right now.”

“Of course I will. We’ll comfort each other, okay?”

“Sounds good. I need to get dressed and run some errands. May I swing by your place later this afternoon?”

“Yeah, that should be fine. Just let me know when you’re close by. Looking forward to seeing you.”

“Me too, babe. Talk to you after awhile.”

Babe. What does it feel so good to hear that word coming from her? “See you, love.”

 

JC sighed heavily as they hung up. I have to do this. I have to do this for her because she doesn't deserve to be punished for this. Again, are you out of your fucking mind? It’s kind of a dick move to do this behind her back, you know. But she’d NEVER accept this willingly. She’d vehemently protest and give the check back before I tried to write her one. So maybe this is the best way. JC groaned. God, this is risky. If I go through with this, that’s another level of investment and commitment. And that’s a lot to ask out of someone I’ve only been dating two days. He looked up the development’s phone number, pressed call and waited for the dial tone.

 

"Welcome to Westwood. My name is Greg."

"Hi. Are you the property manager?"

"Indeed I am. How can I help you?"

"My name's JC. I'm Jenna Timbrook's significant other. I'm not sure if you know this or not, but she was fired from her job yesterday."

"She did tell me. It's disappointing but not surprising."

"Why do you say that?"

"This guy used and abused her for almost two years. Any time she tried to stand up for herself, he made her the villain."

JC sighed. "I know the type. Won't accept responsibility for their actions. Blames everyone else for their circumstances."

"Exactly. He realized he couldn't control or manipulate her like he used to. So once he saw you two were friends, he had perfect leverage against her. Of course, this is all speculation at this point."

"From what she's told me, it makes sense. I hate that I had a direct hand in causing this."

"Don't blame yourself. It was his immature decision to interfere in her personal life. Not only that, he blackmailed her with someone she cares about while threatening to take away something she needs."

"That's true. Still, she shouldn’t’ve had to choose."

"Agreed. What he did was callous and disgusting."

"Which brings me to why I'm calling. How long does she have left on her lease?"

"I'll have to check her records. Give me just a second here, sir."

"Sure." Do you really want to go through with this? Once you give out your credit card information there's no going back. You can still back out of this. You're not ready or able to handle this level of commitment.

"Six months." Greg replied a minute later.

"How much per month?"

"$1,350. Although that's a bargain compared to some places."

"I'll pay for it."

"For one month?"

"The whole thing. I want to make sure she has a roof over her head while she looks for a new job." He paused. "Do you take credit cards by phone?"

"Not usually. But considering your circumstances, I can make an exception."

"Wait, how do you know?"

"Jenna hasn't me any specifics: only that you're in cancer treatment. I usually require in person payment, but I realize your energy may not as plentiful.”

"I prefer in person, too, but my body is not having it today. And thank you. I appreciate your kindness."

"You're welcome. The total will be $8,100 without utilities. Do you want to include those as well?"

He chuckled nervously. "No. I don't want to get too carried away here. I have my credit card ready when you are."

JC read the card number twice for confirmation. He also provided Greg with an email to send a receipt of payment to.

"Your payment has been accepted. Now, she only has to pay utilities for the next six months."

"Awesome."

"Does she even know you're doing this?"

"Um, no. It's probably a dick move to do it behind her back. Yet I think I know her well enough that she wouldn't accept the money as a gift."

"You're right. She wouldn't."

"She did say that she's running errands today."

"I'll keep an eye out for her. What if she finds out from me instead of you?"

"I'll figure that out later. I'm doing this because I care and I hope she'll see that."

"She will. Anything else I can do today?"

"No sir. I'm good."

"I wish you the best in your treatment."

"Thank you. You have a great day, okay?"

"You, too. Bye"

 

JC groaned after he hung up. God, what have I done? Why did I just do that? What will she think? I could have just made dumbest mistake of my life. He rubbed his face with his hands. Please don’t hate me, Jenna. I only have your best interests at heart.

 

(Later that afternoon)

 

Karen knocked on his door. “Jenna’s here, Josh.”

He stretched, having just woken up from a nap 15 minutes earlier. “Sweet. Can you tell her to come up here? I can’t make it downstairs today.”

“I’ll let her know.”

He swung his legs over the side of the bed. Nausea returned and he sweated a little faster. This could go two ways: either she’s really angry with me for interfering with her life so early on or profusely grateful for helping her out.

 

Jenna creaked the door open and stuck her head in.

He smiled. "You can come in, babe. I'm decent."

She giggled and opened it further. "You happy to see me, JC?"

"Why wouldn't I be?" He gingerly stood up.
“You don’t have to get up.”

“I want to, though.”

“Oh, Joshua!” She threw her arms around him with such intensity that he had to catch his breath. They stroked each other's back as they held the embrace. Her eyes meet his for a moment before kissing.

They broke away some seconds later, but her gaze still remained. “Thank you. You didn’t need to do that.”

“You’re welcome, sweetie. Guilt has eaten me alive. I wanted to do something that could physically help you.”

“You have already by being here for me.”

"That doesn't change anything, though. I couldn't stand watching you suffer knowing I had a direct hand in causing your pain. While I can't give you your old job back, I can make it easier to find another one."

Jenna chuckled sarcastically. "To be honest, I don't want it back at this point."

"Don't blame you one bit. The sentiment still applies, though."

"Of course it does." She sighed and curled her bottom lip.

"What is it, Jenna?"

"Sorry, trying to sort through my thoughts. Trying to wrap my mind around you and what's happening."

“Talk to me. You said you wanted to work through this with me, not without me.”

“You’re right, I did.” She sighed and looked toward the double French doors to the right. They showcased the balcony and clearing afternoon sky beyond. “Can we sit out there today?”

JC’s legs started to wobble. “Sure. Just make it quick.”

“Are you okay, honey?”

“Yeah. Just getting tired from standing. May I lean on you?”

“Of course.” She put her arm around his waist as his draped around her shoulder.

He steadied himself with Jenna’s weight as support. “Sorry Jen.”

“You, of all people, have nothing to be sorry for.  Can you walk?”

“I think so.” They took a step forward together. “I wish wasn’t so vulnerable right now. I should be strong enough to walk through my own house. But this stronger treatment is harder on my body.”

“It’s okay, JC. You’re fighting a horrible disease. I’m right here. I won’t let you fall down, okay?”

"Thank you.”

 

JC made it to their destination, but his strength was about gone. Jenna helped him get situated in the bench longue. Her focused eyes, arched brows and open lips indicated her sweet concern.  “Can I get you anything?”

“No.” He staggered. “I’m fine.”

“Are you sure? You’re breathing awful hard.”

“Positive.”

“I’ll be right back.” Jenna went back in the house.

Either she’s really worried about me or is putting off talking about what’s bothering her. My guess is a little bit of both. I hate when she does that. He laid his head back on the chair and took a deep breath. Focus. Breathe. You can rest.

 

Jenna returned with two full glasses of ice water a few minutes later. She handed one to him. “Here, you need this.”

JC took a sip. The glacial liquid started to erode away dryness in his throat which caused his breathing to even out. He drank a little more.

“Is that better?”

“Yeah. Thanks.” He looked up at her. She was taking sips of her own with her eyes focused on the empty space beside him. “Aren’t you going to sit with me, honey?”

“Sure.” She parked herself in that space.

JC draped his right arm over her shoulders while gently squeezing her hand with his left. “What’s wrong, Jenna?”

She sighed. “I’m conflicted. I don’t want to come off as an unappreciative brat.”

“You don’t have an ungrateful bone in your body.”

“On one hand, I can see why you did it this way. I wouldn’t have accepted the money as a gift and told you I can handle myself financially. At the same time, I’m concerned about what this means for our relationship. We talked about taking things slow; it’s not going that way.”

“You’re right, we did. I paid your rent because I care. I care how my actions affect your life. You don’t deserve punishment because of one cowardly bastard. So, I reduced one of the stressors you’ll be facing in the coming months.”

 “No, don’t defend yourself. Words can’t begin to measure how thankful I am.”

“Then, what are you worried about?”

I just don’t want these kinds of things to overshadow why we got together in the first place.”

He nodded. “My main priority is to treat you with kindness, respect and honesty. Part of that will include splurges; mine are more lavish because I have the monetary means. However, I’m not going to have energy to take you out shopping and the fancy restaurants in the foreseeable future. I’d like to, but I need to rest as much as I can.”

“That’s fine with me.  I really enjoy hanging out and keeping you company while you recover. Let’s not lose that.”

“We won’t. We’ll continue cuddling on the couch and ponder the meaning of the universe and why we’re all here.”

“Ha! That sounds exactly like something I would say.”

“You hang around someone long enough, they start to influence you.”

“Would you say it’s for better or worse?”

“Definitely better.” He kissed her forehead.

She blushed. “You’re so selfless and that generosity absolutely floors me. I could never repay something like that.”

JC shrugged. “I’m a giver, what can I say? Love’s not about owing. It’s both people giving of themselves to enhance the other person’s life.”

“It’s not a bad thing. I’m amazed how even though you’re in this horrible situation, you care more about how it affects the people around you. Like your parents, your friends, even me.”

“I hate seeing them upset because of me and there’s nothing I can do to make it better.”

“You can by living and fighting back against this entity that has taken over your body”.

“Well, it’s won this this round. I don’t know if I can get back up.”

“You got out of bed today. You could have said, fuck you world, I can’t deal with you. But you didn’t. When was the last time you had a reason to live?”

“To be honest, before this cancer ordeal, I didn’t really have one. I’d get up but hate every minute of my existence. Some days I did say ‘fuck it’ and not do anything because it hurt too much. Seeing your pretty face makes this just a little more bearable.”

She smiled with a flush to her cheeks. “You’re too sweet.”

He grinned and shrugged. “I’m only telling you what I truly feel. You make me want to believe in the good things this world can offer again. I’m not there yet but your pep talks help.”

She arched her eyebrow. “Really? I figured they annoyed you.”

“Maybe a little bit. But they’re sneaking into my brain. Just as you are in my heart.”

“Mine, too. See, we’re right back to normal!”

“I wouldn’t have it any other way, sweetie.”

“Neither would I, babe.” She kissed his lips first. He responded in kind.

"You know what cancer hasn't taken away?"

"What?"

"Your kissing skills."

JC blushed. "How do you know? We didn't kiss back then!"

Jenna giggled. "Hey! I'm trying to give you a compliment."

"I know. Couldn't help throwing a lame joke."

"Good idea. We both could use a reason to laugh."

"Do you like corny and off time jokes?"

"What do you mean?"

"You know something can seem hilarious in the moment but looking back it doesn't have the same appeal?"

"Yeah."

"The NSYNC guys gave me grief about that all the time. I was always the last one to get the punchline or think of something witty to say five minutes later."

"Speaking of, someone I went to school with way back wanted me to set her up with Justin. I made BS excuses but I knew she was using me. I'm like, you haven't had a reason to talk to me for 15 years. Now you want to take advantage of my connections so you can brag to your friends? Give me a break!"

"Have you heard from her since then?"

"No."

JC laughed. "Being a celebrity brings those kinds of people out of the woodwork."

Jenna glanced at their intertwined hands. "Baby, look."

"Why? What's different?"
"Your skin has a bit more color now. When we hugged earlier, you were cold. Now you're warm."
"Really? That's because you're here."
"Oh, I doubt that."
"No, truly.  Time with you makes up for my hellacious morning."
"You weren't feeling well?"
"Understatement of the century.”
She kissed his forehead. "I'm glad it's helping."
"More than you could ever know."



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: postsync jc cancer tearjerker