Christmas Eve

Lesly sat in her car, staring at the front of her father’s home. It still looked the same on the outside. The yellow paint her mother had wanted was now chipping off and hadn’t been retouched in years. Two rocking chairs sat on the small front porch, but no one had sat in one for a while. It was empty. And soon, once everything was finished, this house that she’d known all of her life would be gone. It wouldn’t be hers anymore. Another family would move in here and it would become someone else’s home. She wiped a tear that was now trickling down her cheek and sniffed, finally letting another one fall. She was supposed to be going to James and JC’s for Christmas Eve dinner, but she didn’t want to pull away from here just yet. Chad had told her that they were close on getting the house ready to put on the market in January. This might be one of the last times she’d see it before the new owners moved in. Getting out of her car, Lesly walked up the steps to the front door. She unlocked it and stepped inside, not even recognizing it any more. She closed her eyes and suddenly was transported back to childhood. Back to when her mother was alive and her father was happy. Back to when Dane had been just her brother and not the stranger that he slowly was becoming.

She walked towards her old bedroom, which now was nothing more than a concrete slab on top of more concrete. She pictured herself in here as a teenager dreaming about owning her own fashion line one day. Dreaming of that boutique in Atlanta. The boutique she’d never own now. Leaning against the wall, Lesly wondered why she was even in Grayson anymore. There was nothing left for her here. Chris moving back should have meant something, but it didn’t. She was trying her best to move on from that because every time she thought about him, every time his name was mentioned, all she could think about was that dreadful phone call from Stephanie and the way that Chris had covered up everything. Maybe she’d never be able to forgive him. And leaving Grayson might be just the thing she needed to move on.

Not that it would be easy. The Chasez’s had become like her second family. James was her best friend. Chad and Lane had been there for her immediately when her father passed away and had taken care of everything from her father’s will to getting his house in a new condition to sell. But after all of that, what was left for her? Yes, these people were wonderful friends. In many ways, she’d felt closer to them than she ever had to Dane and Brianne. But she needed to move on. Especially if Chris was going to come back as a permanent fixture around here. She was trying desperately not to hold it against her friends for continuing to have Chris around at the same outings she was a part of. He and JC had been friends for over fifteen years now and she knew JC couldn’t just write him off. And James was JC’s wife, and even though she’d told Lesly numerous times that she hated what Chris had done to her, she still couldn’t ignore one of her husband’s best friends.

Lesly walked out of her old bedroom and back into the living room, which now was almost connected to the kitchen. She thought long and hard and wondered where she’d even go if she left. Atlanta? Jacksonville? Maybe Charleston? Or maybe she’d get out of the South all together and just start over in a brand new place. The excitement of the possibilities was endless. Yes, it was time to start over.

 

“But you said I could open one present, Daddy! Please let me open this one!” Sutton begged, holding up a brightly wrapped package that had “To Sutton; Love, Mommy & Daddy” written on a gift tag on top.

JC hated how easily this child could sway him. All she had to do was look at him with those pleading eyes and he caved. But not this time. He knew this present was the biggest one under the tree and naturally she would be drawn to it. This one would be for tomorrow.

“Sutton, we’re saving that one for tomorrow,” he told her again, shifting Olivia to his other hip. Landon was on the floor next to the tree and was about to lunge at an ornament, but James walked in and swiftly picked him up.

“No, baby boy. You can’t have that!” she kissed him and looked down at Sutton. “Honey, that’s for tomorrow. Daddy told you that twice now. Pick another one, okay? And hurry. Uncle Chad and Uncle Lane will be here soon and Lesly’s on her way.”

“What about Chris?” JC asked her under his breath.

James sighed and looked at her husband. “I didn’t invite him,”

“James! He’s in town! We’re the only people he knows. You really didn’t invite him?” JC looked at his wife in disbelief.

“It’s uncomfortable with him and Lesly right now and-“

“It is always uncomfortable with them,” JC interrupted her. “But it’s Christmas Eve and out of anyone, I never thought you’d be that heartless to not invite him over for dinner. Geez.”

“I’m not heartless, I just don’t want anything to be awkward at dinner!” James retorted. “She’s in a very fragile place right now. This is her first Christmas without her father and-“

“Mommy, what about this one?” Sutton interrupted James to show her a smaller present that looked about the size of a jewelry box. James smiled. It was the present that JC had gotten for Sutton. A small, silver Tiffany’s  necklace that had her name engraved on the heart. On the back it simply said, “Love, Daddy.” He’d given the same one to James on their one year anniversary, except hers had engraved “Josh + James.” Sutton had wanted one since she’d first seen James wear it.

James looked at JC who smiled and they both nodded. “Yes, you can open that one,” James told her, as she and JC went over to the couch to sit down. Sutton ripped into the paper and when she opened the box she gasped and then looked up at her parents with a wide smile.

“It’s a heart necklace like Mommy’s!” Sutton squealed. She ran over to JC and crawled in his lap. “Thanks, Daddy! I love it!” Olivia immediately seeing the shiny object, reached to grab it, but JC pulled her away and set her on the floor, then helped Sutton put on the necklace. She kissed her father once more then ran off to her room.

“I think she liked it,” James smiled at JC, then moved closer to him. “Ok, I’ll go call Chris. I can’t tell him it was last minute. No one decides to make an elaborate meal in five minutes. I’ll be honest and let him know that she’s coming over and if he wants to join, he’s more than welcome.”

“Thank you,” JC leaned over to kiss her, then stood, looking down at Olivia. “I’m pretty sure you need a diaper change,” he told her, to which the 10-month-old giggled at her father. “Uh huh. You think that’s funny. C’mon, pretty girl. Let’s go change you before you stink up the whole house.” He picked her up again and headed upstairs towards the twins’ room, while James with Landon in tow, went to make the phone call to Chris.

Chris had been enjoying a quiet Christmas Eve at his little efficiency apartment downtown. It was quite a change from the mansion he’d left in Orlando, but he hoped in a few weeks it would all be worth it. He was watching A Christmas Story on TBS when his phone rang. He set his beer on the coffee table and picked it up, seeing it was James.

“Merry Christmas!” he greeted her, leaning back on the couch. “What’s up Mrs. Chasez?”

“Hi Chris, Merry Christmas!” she replied. “Am I bothering you?”

“Not at all. I just started watching A Christmas Story and I was gonna order a pizza for dinner. You know, a bachelor’s Christmas Eve. By the way, do you know if that Italian restaurant delivers?”

“I think so. But I was actually calling to see if you wanted to come over for Christmas dinner tonight. We’re celebrating with Chad and Lane. It’s kind of our tradition. Lesly’s coming, too-“

“Does she know I would be coming?”

“Well, I mean, I will let her know. I wanted to see if you were in first,”

“Sure,” Chris stood to his feet and turned the television off. “On my way now.”

James hung up and looked at her phone for a minute. She went to hit Lesly’s speed dial, but she heard the front door open and Chad’s voice call out heartily, “Merry Christmas, Chasezs!”

“Uncle Chad!” Sutton called from the top of the stairs and immediately ran down, nearly running her mother over. “Uncle Chad, Uncle Lane, look what Daddy got me for Christmas!”

Chad and Lane stood in the doorway, their arms full of presents. They set them down and both of them knelt down to Sutton’s level to gaze at her necklace.

“Ah, yes, what every six-year-old kid should have – a Tiffany necklace. Remember when you had yours, James?” Chad teased his best friend as he always did when one of her children received a brand name item.

“Oh, shut up,” she rolled her eyes. Chad loved to give her a hard time about the fact that she was married to a millionaire and, that no matter how cheap JC could be, he always spoiled his family.

“Did you bring me a present?” Sutton asked Chad, who squeezed the little girl to him.

“Sutton!” James shook her head. “You don’t ask that, it’s rude!”

“I sure did, my little diva. We brought you lots of presents,” he peered at James as he stood to his feet. “It’s just us. She can ask us if we brought her presents.” He walked over to James and put his arm around her shoulder. “It’s fine, doll. We all know what a well-behaved child she is anyway.”

Outside, Lesly had just pulled into the driveway. She was trying her best to get into the right spirit because she knew that the house would be filled with excitement and children and talk of Santa Claus and all that Christmas Eve entailed. But she just felt numb. She’d cried a little more until she finally decided that driving on over to the Chasez’s was best. It would at least take her mind off of things. As she was getting out of the car, another car pulled in next to her. She groaned inwardly when she saw it was Chris. Hadn’t James told her he wouldn’t be coming tonight?

“Merry Christmas,” he greeted her, stepping out of the car. “Are we the last ones here?”

“You are,” Lesly countered, and began to walk towards the front porch.

“Oh, come on, Les, you can at least be nice to me on Christmas Eve for crying out loud!” Chris griped, following her.

She turned to him and her face was splotchy and red and he knew she’d been crying. “Look, I am trying to have a decent time tonight, okay? This is not exactly a holiday I’ve been anticipating. So don’t talk to me, don’t try to be nice to me, because I’m done. This-“ she waved her finger between her and Chris-“is done. I’ve decided I just can’t do it. I can’t forgive you.”

Chris stood there in a bit of a shock. He wanted to say something back, but he couldn’t think fast enough because she’d already turned on her heel and was headed up the front porch steps. He held back and waited until she’d gone inside before he let out a frustrated sigh, that ultimately turned into a groan. He reluctantly walked toward the front of the house and rang the doorbell. In a few seconds, JC opened the door, a look of apology on his face.

“Merry Christmas, C,” Chris muttered, as JC opened the door for him to come in.

“Merry Christmas,” JC replied. “Dude, she’s not in a good mood. She grabbed James the minute she walked in and said they had to talk.” He and Chris stood in the foyer and Chris could hear Chad and Lane playing with the twins and Sutton carrying on about whether or not Santa Claus would be able to fit down the chimney and what if he got stuck and her Daddy had to help him?

“I figured,” Chris handed JC a bottle of wine. “It’s Merlot. I picked it up at the liquor store on my way here. Sorry. This was kind of last minute.”

“James felt weird about inviting you and her to the same dinner. Lesly’s been on the verge of something lately and she’s even more fragile than she’s been in a while. She looked awful when she came in,” JC said, taking the bottle of wine from Chris. “And thanks for the wine. I’m sure we’ll definitely drink it tonight.”

“She’s been crying. I know it. And she told me outside she was done with me. All I did was kiss her at that party, C. I know what I did was wrong, but I can’t do anything else than what I’ve been doing,” Chris ran a hand through his hair and shook his head. “I guess it really is done.”

“I guess so,” JC put an arm on his friend’s shoulder. “You still gonna buy her dad’s house?”

“Yeah,” Chris nodded. “It’ll be nice to have a little getaway here from Orlando.”

The two men walked into the living room where Chad was playing peek-a-boo with Landon and Lane was bouncing Olivia on his lap. Sutton was twirling around in her red Christmas dress to the sound of Mariah Carey’s All I Want for Christmas is You. When JC entered the room, she ran over to him and grabbed his hand.

“Daddy, dance with me to this song!” she was grinning at him and JC picked her up in his arms and began to twirl her around. Sutton began to laugh when JC pretended to dip her and then threw her in the air. Chris sat down on the couch across from Lane and Chad and watched the scene in front of him. He saw JC whisper something in Sutton’s ear and she smiled at her father and nodded excitedly. He set her down and Sutton ran over to Chris.

“Chris, you want to dance with me? Daddy says you love this song!” she pulled on his arm and he stood, taking both of Sutton’s little hands in his as he twirled her around the room. Despite what had just happened outside, Chris was glad to be there.

 

“Les, I’m sorry I didn’t tell you. It happened literally fifteen minutes before everyone came over. And I was about to call you, but then Chad and Lane came over and I got distracted!” James was sitting on her bed and Lesly was standing in front of her, fuming mad at her friend.

“Just once, James. I just wanted once to not have to be at the same dinner he was at. This year has been a literal hell for me and he’s been the main cause of all of it. And I just wanted to come here tonight and relax and not have to worry about Chris and whether or not he’s staring at me or trying to get me to talk to him or whatever. I’m tired of it. I’m so tired of it!” Lesly had started to cry mid-sentence and quickly wiped away her angry tears. She heaved a sigh and looked at James. “I’ve decided I’m moving out of Grayson.”

James snapped to attention and shook her head. “Moving? Why? Lesly, your family’s here. Me and Josh are here and Chad and Lane! Why would you move?”

“And Chris. Chris is here. I can’t go anywhere anymore without him being there. And I’m over this town. I don’t want to be here. I don’t even talk to Dane anymore. I’m supposed to go over there for Christmas tomorrow but I don’t even know if I want to anymore,” Lesly sat down on the couch opposite the bed. “James, I used to have huge dreams and they were never realized because my mother got sick and after she died, I felt trapped here because of my dad. But now I see that I still have a shot. I still have a chance to leave. And I want to take that chance and do it.”

“Where are you going to go?” James wanted to know. “Les, you know the job market isn’t so great right now-“

“I don’t care. I’ll find something. I’ll work three jobs in Atlanta if I have to. I just need to be out of here,” she shook her head and looked away, staring off into space. “There’s not anything left for me here.”

“Thanks a lot,” James was partly teasing, but Lesly wasn’t in the mood.

“You know what I mean,” she rolled her eyes.

James was quiet for a minute and then spoke, “Les, what if Chris was the one who moved? Would you stay then?”

“No,” Lesly didn’t even hesitate. “I’m serious, James. I’m leaving after Christmas.”

James stood to her feet, seeing the time on the clock on the wall. “Listen, it’s almost time for dinner. I’ll support whatever decision you make, but I just want you to really think about it. Don’t make a hasty move because of one person. If he knew you felt like this, he’d-“

“He’s not going to know. And you’re not going to tell him,” Lesly interrupted.

James bit on her lip. “Ok. Ok, Lesly, whatever you say,” she went towards the door, feeling a huge pit in her stomach, as the two women walked downstairs. James stopped short when she saw the scene below her taking place. Chad and Lane were now dancing around with the babies, JC had put on TLC’s Have a Very Merry Christmas and he along with Chris and Sutton were ridiculously doing hip -hop moves across the floor. Obviously, Sutton was only imitating her father and Chris, which made it even more hilarious to watch and both James and Lesly couldn’t help but burst out laughing.

“What baby?” JC called over to her. “I still got it!”

“Oh, yes, you do, honey,” James laughed even harder as he did the running man over to her and then, seeing they were under the mistletoe, grabbed her and dipped her, kissing her hard on the mouth.

“I’m taking this upstairs with us tonight so I can just kiss you all through Christmas,” he whispered in her ear.

“You have to put together a bicycle and set up Sutton’s playhouse outside,” James whispered back. “Remember, Santa Claus?”

JC groaned and soon the song ended. Dinner was ready and everyone gathered in the dining room to eat a big pot of spaghetti, a tradition they’d started with Chad and Lane their first Christmas together. There was so much tension between Chris and Lesly that James mentioned something to Chad about it before the meal. He was good about keeping a conversation going and since his and Lane’s adoption was about to go through, she knew he could talk about that throughout dinner.

“…and then we should be back by the end of February,” he was saying everyone was finishing up.

“You’ll miss the twins birthday,” James noted, sadly.

As if on cue, Landon burst out in baby talk and Olivia, watching her brother, did the same. It made everyone chuckle and then James looked at her watch, then over at Sutton. “Hey, sweet girl. It’s almost 8:30. Did you get the cookies out for Santa?”

Sutton hopped down from her seat at the table. “Are they in the cookie jar, Mommy?” she asked, going over to James. James smoothed out her daughter’s curly locks, and kissed her forehead.

“They are. I’ll help you,” she stood up and looked around the table. “We’ve got ice cream cake for dessert. And I can put on some coffee. But first, I need to help Sutton.”

“Um, honey, just out of curiosity, what kind of cookies is Santa Claus getting tonight?” JC inquired, calling for her as she went into the kitchen.

“Chocolate chip,” James replied. “So, you know, go easy on the cake.”

James helped Sutton set the cookies out on a platter then they poured a glass of milk in a Santa mug and set the items on the coffee table in the living room. When everything was set, James took Sutton’s hand and they walked back to the dining room. Sutton went immediately to JC and crawled in his lap, lazily twirling one of her curls around her finger.

“Are you tired, baby girl?” JC asked Sutton, resting his chin on her forehead.

“No. I want to stay up and watch Santa put out my presents. How come I can’t do that?” Sutton asked, looking up at him.

“Because you know Santa likes you to be asleep when he comes. He likes you to be surprised,” JC answered her and kissed the top of her head. “But, I think you should probably go on upstairs and get ready for bed. You never know when he’ll get here.”

“But I don’t want to sleep now. I’m too excited! And besides, he has to come a long way from the North Pole. He probably doesn’t get to Georgia until late. Like at 10!” Sutton argued.

Chris watched what was going on and laughed to himself. He suddenly had an idea. “Hey Sutton,” he spoke up, and Sutton looked over at him. “Come out front with me, okay?” he got out of his chair and Sutton nodded at him and they went outside. Chris knelt down next to her and pointed up to the starry night. “See that bright light that looks like a star?” he asked her, pointing to the North Star.

“Uh huh, “ she answered, straining her little eyes upward.

“That’s Santa Claus. He’s right above your house!” Chris gasped and Sutton squealed.

“Then I better go to sleep!” she turned around and burst through the front door, running into the dining room. “Mommy and Daddy, I’m gonna go to bed because you know why? Santa Claus is right over our house!” And with that, Sutton darted out of the dining room and everyone heard her pounding the stairs as she made her way to her bedroom.

“What did you say?” JC asked Chris, who was taking his seat again.

“I pointed to the North Star and told her it was Santa Claus. My mom used to do that with me and my sisters all the time to get us to go to bed on Christmas Eve,” he replied and ignored the surprised look that Lesly was now giving him.

“I’ll be right back. I’m just going to tuck her in,” James stood from the table and went upstairs.

Conversation began again between Chad, Lane, and JC, and Lesly and Chris were quiet until Lesly spoke up.

“That was really cool what you did,” she said.

Chris only nodded. “Not really that big of a deal,” he answered her, but didn’t acknowledge her.

It was nearly eleven before everyone began to disperse. They’d finished off the ice cream cake and had started to help JC eat the Santa cookies so they left feeling quite full and content. There were exchanges of last “Merry Christmases” before they walked outside. Lane and Chad said goodnight to Chris and they headed for Lane’s BMW. Chris went to his car and waved again at James and JC who were standing on the front porch. He glanced over at Lesly, who was getting in her car and happened to look up.

“’Bye, Chris,” she told him, and shut her car door.

“’Bye, Lesly,” Chris muttered, and started his car.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love daddyjc marriedjc chris