Author's Chapter Notes:

So...just a few more chapters to go here and then I'll be starting the third story in this series entitled "Daddy's Girl." This will focus on James' ex coming back into the picture, wanting to spend time with Sutton and how James and JC cope. There are other returning characters, as well as a few suprrises so I hope you'll read it as soon as I post :)

Thanks again for reading!!

Alysen B. 

“Your resume looked great, Miss Parsons, however, you haven’t done anything with fashion in a long time,”

Lesly was sitting across from Jenna Wolotosky the manager of a small boutique near River Street in Savannah a few weeks later. She’d found the ad for a fashion consultant at “Jenna’s Closet” online. Jenna designed all of her clothes and accessories and was looking for a partner to expand the business on the other side of town. The description said that the person hired would be a part of the design process and also draw up renderings for Jenna. If she liked them, the design would move forward and the dress or accessory would be made. Lesly had done her homework on Jenna and found out that she’d graduated top of her class at the Savannah College of Art and Design and was from Chicago originally. They weren’t that far a part in age and Lesly was in awe of just how successful Jenna’s business was.

“I know and I also know that is a major hindrance. I had a lot of circumstances that kept me from pursuing that after college,” Lesly tried her best to be professional and keep calm, telling herself that there were other jobs, there were other places.

Jenna nodded in understanding. “My father passed away the month after I leased the shop. I almost thought I would have to close up and move home. I still don’t know how I did it. Managing this and going back and forth to Illinois to be with my mother,” she cleared her throat. “Sorry, didn’t meant to get personal there.”

Lesly smiled warmly at her. “My father just passed away in November. And my mother’s death was the reason I couldn’t go to Atlanta and open up my own store. My dad took it pretty hard and my brother decided to disappear and handle it his own way.”

“Lesly, you poor dear. You’re way too young to have lost both of your parents,” Jenna shook her head in concern. She let out a quick breath, then looked back at the resume. “I like you, Lesly. And as much as I don’t like the fact that you were unable to fulfill your dream because of such tragedy, I’d like to help you be able to move forward with your life. When do you think you can start?”

Lesly felt her heart soaring. She wanted to jump up and down and cry and laugh all at the same time. Keeping her composure, she simply smiled and let out a small chuckle. “Well,” she was trying to keep her voice from being so shaky. “I need to settle a few things back in Grayson. But I can be ready when you need me.”

Jenna shook her head. “No, you take your time. If you could be here at the beginning of February, that would be great. This would give you time to come back to Savannah and find a place to live and get everything situated back home.”

“That sounds perfect,” Lesly felt her smile expanding to a grin. “Jenna, thank you so much!”

Jenna stood from behind her desk and came around to hug Lesly. “You’re welcome. There’s just something about you that I think would definitely work here. I can’t wait to see what that is.”

“Me, too!” Jenna replied, and collected her things, already curious to drive around Savannah and get better acquainted with it. She said goodbye once more to Jenna and left the little boutique shop, looking back at it and feeling a sense of belonging already.


Brewster’s was always slower in January. This was due to the fact that not many people were out on Main Street during the weekdays and even though they had their lunch rush occasionally, James knew that most people liked to save what little money was left over after the holidays. It was a beautiful day outside and she wished that she could take off for the day and join JC and Sutton on Sutton’s field trip to the Jacksonville Zoo. Or she’d rather be at home with the babies and getting on Pinterest trying to plan their upcoming first birthday next month. Then again, it was nice to be at her shop, chatting with a few regulars and checking her phone every so often to receive a funny text from JC about something that Sutton had done or said. Her last message had been a picture of JC posing with Sutton on his lap and they were both making “tiger faces” as he’d titled the picture.

The phone next to the cash register rang and James was shaken from gazing at the picture on her cell.

“Brewster’s. This is James,” she answered, figuring it was probably going to be a lunch order for take-out.

“Yes, hello, my name is Jenna Wolotosky. I’m calling on behalf of Lesly Parsons, who was interviewed for a position today at my boutique in Savannah. Just doing the necessary follow-up on her. I see she’s worked for your company for the last 2 years as Assistant Manager?”

James’ heart sunk. She knew that Lesly had gone to Savannah to interview for a position at a fashion boutique; she didn’t think anything would come of it. Not that she didn’t want Lesly to succeed. James just knew how difficult it was now to find a decent job and salary. Maybe this Jenna person would prove her wrong.

“Yes, that’s correct,” James tried to sound pleasant. She knew it was coming. She knew Lesly was serious about getting out of town, but it was all too real now.

“Wonderful. How would you rate her to your other assistant managers?”

“She’s the only one I’ve got and she is flawless at her job,”

“I see. She has been hired to come alongside me and work as my partner designing dresses and running our newest branch on the Southside. Would you say she could handle that, knowing what you know of her?”

James felt at a loss. Lesly had the job. Lesly was moving. It was really going to happen.

“Miss?”

James snapped to attention and cleared her throat. “Sorry. Must’ve had a bad connection. Yes, yes, Lesly could handle anything you gave her. She’s a terrific employee and a great friend. You’re lucky to get her. Anyone would be,”

“Perfect. I’d say that’s all I needed. And I’m speaking to the manager?”

“Yes. And owner,”

“Oh, well, from one business owner to another, the best to you this afternoon. Thank you for your information,”

“You’re welcome,” James tried to sound happy, but the expression on her face said differently. She hung up and felt terrible. She was excited and happy for Lesly, but a part of James wondered if Lesly was making a huge mistake. Especially once she found out that Chris was going to buy her father’s house. Then again, it almost felt as if Lesly used any excuse to get mad at Chris anymore. It could be raining and Lesly would somehow find a way to blame Chris.

Her stomach churned and James rubbed it, suddenly feeling a bit sick. She leaned against the counter and waited for the feeling to subside, but it didn’t, it grew worse. Certainly she wasn’t this upset over Lesly leaving was she? She looked around the shop and saw that most of the customers were off in their own world in cyberspace, so she quickly ducked to the back bathroom and reluctantly threw up. When she walked back to the front, Chad was standing at the counter texting on his iPhone.

“Doll face, you look terrible,” Chad greeted her, knowing other than Josh, he was the only one who could be that honest with her.

“Shut up,” James sighed and poured herself a glass of water.

“What’s wrong?” Chad put his phone away and gave her his full attention.

“Lesly got a job at that boutique in Savannah. Her new boss called and I guess it made me so upset that I threw up,” James sipped her water and Chad reached over and placed his hand over hers.

“You sure you’re not just coming down with something?” he looked at her face. “I mean, I love you babe, but you do not look good today.”

“I’m just sad,” James shook her head. “I’m sad because this wasn’t what was supposed to happen. I’m mad at her because she won’t let Chris fight for her like he’s trying to do. And I’m mad because she’s just giving up and leaving.”

“She was hurt, James. You know what it’s like to be cheated on,” Chad reminded her. “Also, if this is going to be a serious discussion, could I get a latte while I console you?”

James had to smile at his attempt at breaking the ice. “Yes, silly,” she said, going over to the espresso machine.

The door opened again and Chris walked in. He waved to James and Chad and walked over to the bar. “Is this where the party’s at?”

“Shh, don’t say anything,” James muttered under her breath to Chad.

Chad looked at her in shock. “You mean he doesn’t-“ Chad started, but James interrupted him.

“Of course!” she said, a little too brightly. Chad rolled his eyes at her attempt to pretend nothing was wrong. “How are you?”

“I’m good,” Chris nodded and looked at James. “You’re chipper today. Where’s your husband?”

“Field trip with Sutton,” James answered. “They’ll be back around 3.” She handed Chad his coffee, then turned to Chris. “Do you want anything to drink?”

“Just a coffee black,” Chris looked at Chad. “I stopped by the house. It looks great. I just hope Lesly doesn’t flip when she hears I’m buying it.”

Chad and James were both quiet. James smiled weakly at Chris and handed him his coffee. “Well, we all know how Lesly can be, that’s for sure,” was all she could think of to say.

Chris eyed them both and knew there was something going on. James was a bit too happy and it was a fake happy, not to mention her eyes looked glazed over like she was sick. And Chad was standing there with a ridiculous smile plastered on his face that was more or less making Chris very uncomfortable.

“Ok. What the hell is going on?” Chris asked them, setting his coffee aside. “You’re both acting really strange. Now, what gives?”

James looked at Chad and Chad rolled his eyes. “Oh enough of this stupid mess. Chris, Lesly got hired at a boutique in Savannah. She’s leaving Grayson and she didn’t want anyone to say anything to you, but I’m saying something because I think it’s dumb. All of it. You shouldn’t have cheated on her, but she has to stop treating you like an ass.”

“Chad-“ James began, placing a hand on his arm.

“No, James. He has to know. She should’ve told him. He’s trying to surprise her with buying her father’s house for crying out loud. This whole thing is just stupid,” Chad glanced at Chris. “I’m sorry, Chris. I know I spoke too soon. But all of this is just so over the top and nothing but drama. You’ve tried to do what you can do, but I just think in the end, Lesly isn’t going to come back after all.”

“No, you’re probably right,” Chris sighed, and took another sip of his coffee. He was quiet for a few seconds. “I won’t let on that I know anything if I see her.” He drank his coffee, then slid the mug over to James. “Thanks, James. Tell JC to call me when he gets back.” With that, Chris walked out of the coffee shop and back to his car. He got in and sat for a minute, his head resting on the back of the seat. He had no idea what to do or think or feel. He’d moved to this town to win her back and she was leaving. She was leaving. How was he supposed to make sense of any of that? What was he going to do in Grayson, Georgia for crying out loud?

He turned on his car and looked at the front of Brewster’s. It had all started there. JC had met the one person who’d changed him for the good and Chris had hoped the same would happen for him, except he didn’t know it. Lesly had been a good time. A one-night stand that turned into something he wasn’t expecting. She made him want to be a better person. He finally got all that JC had told him months ago about falling in love. It was true. All of it was true. But he didn’t know what to do now. Most of the time, it might’ve been reciprocated with the other person and he couldn’t believe that Lesly felt nothing for him. He pulled out his phone and looked down at it, debating whether or not to call her and tell her about the house. He’d told James he wouldn’t tell Lesly that he knew she was leaving, but why had she tried to hide it in the first place? Out of frustration, he hit the steering wheel, pulled out of the parking place, and drove off of Main Street. He passed Ruby’s Round-up and kept going until he was on a back road that he didn’t recognize.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love daddyjc marriedjc chris