Author's Chapter Notes:

You guys are awesome with the reviews. Always appreciated :) Enjoy this one!

Alysen B. 

Lesly didn’t know whether or not she should call James on her way back into town or if she should tell her in person the next day. She was so ecstatic and still couldn’t believe that she would finally be working for a designer after all these years. Even if it was a small boutique shop, it was still something and it was out of Grayson. She could start over and who knew what might come out of this. She’d ignored the feelings of regret thinking of Chris and his moving to Grayson all for her. No. She wouldn’t let her mind drift there any longer. Chris was in the past. Deciding to drop by the Chasez’s instead of waiting until the next day or calling, Lesly drove into town and headed for their house.

In a matter of about an hour, the Chasez household had turned into chaos. James had picked up the twins from her parents house only to find that Landon was running a fever and Olivia was apparently experiencing sympathy pangs because she was just as whiny. Both of the twins had cried all day and Olivia hadn’t taken a nap, so she was extra fussy. When James got home, she had started to feel sick again, but there wasn’t time to do anything about it because JC and Sutton arrived shortly after and all Sutton wanted to do was talk about the zoo and how JC had been recognized and why people wanted his picture taken?

“Are you okay honey?” JC looked at James, who was trying to concentrate listening to Sutton, while attempting at giving Landon cough medicine in his high chair. Olivia was in JC’s arms, her eyes fluttering open and shut and pushing her father’s hand away whenever he tried to give her a pacifier.

“I threw up earlier today,” James answered. “Come on, sweet boy. Don’t spit it out for Mommy.” She tried to coax Landon once more, but he pushed the spoon away and then rubbed his eyes with his little hand.

“You should try to put it in his food,” JC suggested. “Are you still feeling sick?”

“Yeah,” she nodded, and went over to the pantry to get out a jar of Gerber Peaches. James opened it and mixed in the fever syrup, trying again to get her son to swallow it.

“Here,” JC stood up with Olivia in tow and took the jar of baby food from James. “Trade you.” They swiftly switched babies and James went over to the kitchen table with Olivia, who was whining softly. She watched JC expertly hold the spoon up to Landon’s mouth. The baby sighed and began to suck on the spoon.

“Magic,” James chuckled, as JC wiped off Landon’s mouth.

“Mommy, why did you throw up?” Sutton wanted to know. She was sitting across from her mother and in between talking about her field trip, was coloring a picture.

“I don’t know, baby girl,” James looked over at JC. “Let’s go outside. Maybe fresh air is what I need right now.” As they were headed out, the doorbell rang. JC told James to go on with Olivia and Sutton, noticing the color draining from her face.

“Hi, Josh!” Lesly greeted JC when he opened the door. She was exceptionally happy and since he’d not gotten a chance to talk much to James about her day, he had no idea that Lesly had just taken another job.

“Hey, Les,” he smiled. “James is outside with the girls.”

“Okay. I just need to tell you both something really quick,” she told him, and followed him towards the back patio. James was sitting in a lawn chair holding Olivia, who was resting against her mother’s chest and sucking on her thumb. She turned around and forced herself to smile upon seeing Lesly.

“Hi,” James acknowledged her. “How was the drive back from Savannah?”

Lesly took a breath and sat down next to James. She reached over and clutched her friend’s arm with both hands, and quietly, but excitedly said, “James, I got offered the job!”

It was at that moment that the chaos erupted. Suddenly, a wail was heard from Sutton’s swing set and James gasped, looking over to see her daughter on her back on the ground.

“DADDY!” Sutton screamed. “MOMMY! MOMMY!”

“Shit!” JC ran over, still holding onto Landon as James followed, handing Olivia over to Lesly, who stood and watched in shock at what had happened.

“It’s okay, baby! It’s okay!” James knelt down and noticed Sutton’s arm was facing a funny direction. “Josh, I think it’s her arm.” She glanced quickly at JC, who was frantically trying to console his daughter and hold Landon at the same time. James lifted Sutton carefully and pulled her into her arms. Sutton was still sobbing loudly and James noticed her right knee was bleeding as well.

“We need to get her to the emergency room,” JC spoke softly, as not to alarm Sutton. “I’ll take her. I know you’re not feeling well.”

“Okay,” James sighed and kissed Sutton’s forehead. “Shh, baby girl. You’re gonna be fine. Daddy’s gonna take you to the doctor, though, okay?”

“Nooo!” Sutton wailed. “No, Daddy. I don’t want to go!”

JC handed Landon to James and then carefully picked up Sutton, carrying her across the yard. She clung to him, still crying and begging him not to take her.

Lesly was still holding Olivia. “What can I do?” She followed James and JC back into the house. JC grabbed his car keys and wallet then hurriedly rushed out the door.

“Not much to do from here. I guess we’ll just wait to hear from Josh. I can’t believe she fell out of that swing,” James shook her head. “I feel terrible. I wasn’t even watching her!” She put her head in her hand and groaned.

“James, I’m sure she’ll be fine,” Lesly reached over to squeeze James’ arm. “It’s probably not as big of a deal as you’re making it in your head.” Lesly was trying to reassure her, but James didn’t answer. “C’mon, let’s go into the living room and watch something to get your mind off of it.”


Chris banged his hand against the steering wheel. He’d run out of gas and was in the middle of nowhere. He couldn’t remember how far he’d driven or how long, but there was literally nothing around but trees on one side and the marsh on the other. And no cars had passed by in at least the last 45 minutes. He pulled out his cell phone and tried calling JC once more but it went straight to voice mail. “Is he serious with that? Geez, just turn your damn phone on, C!” Chris griped, and let out a loud sigh of frustration. “Hopefully your wife will answer her phone!”

He looked up James in his contacts and hit her number, praying that she’d pick up. It was her or Lesly and Lesly wasn’t taking his calls anymore. He suddenly wondered what grass might taste like for dinner. He also wondered why he hadn’t renewed his AAA membership last October.

James was holding a now sleeping Landon, and Olivia had finally quit whining and was entertaining herself on the floor with her toys. Lesly was flipping through the channels trying to find something to watch other than talk shows or the news.

“James?” she spoke up. James was humming softly against Landon’s ear and looked up at her friend.

“Yeah?” she whispered, as not to wake the baby.

“I know it’s probably not the right time, but I did take the job offer,”

“I know you did,”

Lesly didn’t say anything.

“Your new boss called,” James answered her silent question. “She’s really excited about you coming to work for her.”

“I’m sorry, James,” Lesly shifted on the couch and looked at James apologetically.

“Don’t be sorry,” James shook her head. “You had to do it.” She looked down at Landon. “I’m gonna put him down. He’s finally out.” She was about to say something else to Lesly, but her phone rang.

“I’ll get it,” Lesly stood and reached for the iPhone that was sitting on the coffee table. She cringed when she saw the name flashing across the screen. “It’s Chris.”

James turned around. “Look, I know you don’t want to answer that but I have got to put my child down. So whatever it is, take a message and I’ll deal with it later. I’m not in the mood, Les. Sorry.”

Lesly was a little taken aback at James’ abruptness, but she answered the call anyway. “Hey, Chris, it’s Lesly,”

Chris nearly dropped the phone in his lap. He cleared his throat. “Oh, hey. Sorry. I thought I dialed-“

“You did. But it’s been crazy over here. Landon is sick, James is sick, and Sutton fell off of her swing set and Josh had to take her to the emergency room. It looked like her arm might’ve been broken,”

“Holy shit,” Chris muttered. “Um, well, I was calling because I was looking for JC. I guess I know why he turned his phone off now. I’m kind of stranded in the middle of nowhere. My car ran out of gas and I was wondering if he’d come and pick me up.”

“Where are you?”

“Good question. Um, I know I passed Ruby’s. I kept going for a while. There’s nothing out here but marsh land and trees,”

“Why the hell did you drive out that way?!”

Chris thought for a minute about what he should say. “Um, I had a lot on my mind, I guess you could say,”

“Oh,” Lesly was quiet. “Um, well, I guess I’ll have to be the one to come get you. I don’t know when Josh will be back and James isn’t feeling up to much right now.”

“Okay,” This is going to be awkward, he thought to himself. “Well, I guess call me when you’re a few miles past Ruby’s. Maybe I can direct you from there.”

“Alright,” Lesly said. “I’m leaving now.” She said goodbye and then met James on the stairs from putting down Landon. “I need to go pick up Chris. His car ran out of gas somewhere past Ruby’s on that old highway nobody drives on anymore. At least, that’s what I think happened.”

James eyed her friend and took a breath. “You are going to be nice to him, aren’t you?”

“I’ll be as nice as I can be from where I stand,” Lesly responded, truthfully. They walked back into the living room together and Lesly began to collect her purse.

James sighed. “I swear, today has been one thing after another around here.” She plopped down on the couch and looked at Olivia, who had fallen asleep on top of two stuffed animals. “I knew she’d finally wear herself out. Anyway, call me if you get lost trying to find him or whatever. And please let me know if and when you find him.”

Lesly nodded and bent down to give James a quick hug. “I will. We can talk more about the job later if that’s okay. Call me when you hear something about Sutton, please.” James only smiled wistfully and said goodbye. Lesly waved as she headed toward the front door. She walked to her car and got in, the feelings of excitement slowly trickling away. She shouldn’t have cared one way or the other about picking up Chris. In fact, she should have been mad that she was having to do this. If he was stupid enough to drive out to the middle of nowhere, then why shouldn’t he walk back? She pulled out of the driveway and turned toward the direction of Ruby’s, knowing it was going to be a long night.

Chris watched the sun as it began to set over the trees. He sat on top of his hood and leaned back on the windshield. It was a beautiful night. A little warmer than normal and he was thankful for that. His mind had wandered all evening after he’d hung up with Lesly and he wished so much that they weren’t at odds with each other. A part of him wished he could’ve just started over from the beginning. He would’ve never gone back to Stephanie. He would’ve “manned up” and been what Lesly needed him to be. The last three months had been nothing but nonsense. Stephanie and a baby that wasn’t even his, Lesly and some random guy that sounded like the world’s biggest tool, and an argument, a division, that was going to last for the rest of their lives or so it seemed. He had given up everything. He had moved from the only city he’d been living in for the last 18 years. He had done it all for her. And she was going to leave and none of it made sense.

He felt his phone vibrate and picked up. “Hey,” he said, lifting his head off the windshield to peer down the road.

“Hi,” she replied. “I’m ten miles past Ruby’s. Did you pass an old, abandoned gas station?”

“Yeah,” he hopped off the car. “And then what looked like a condemned house after that.”

“Right,” Lesly continued driving. “Do you know how far past that house you were, exactly?”

“I’d say another mile,” Chris went around to the back of his car so that he could better hear and see her coming.

“Okay,” she looked ahead and saw a car in the distance. “I think I see your car.”

He jumped up and down and waved at her. “Do you see me?”

Lesly saw a figure jumping in front of the car. “Yeah. Be there in one second.”

She drove on and soon was pulling up next to his car. Chris collected his things from his car, locked it, and then got into the passenger seat of Lesly’s car.

“Thanks,” he said, awkwardly smiling at her.

“No problem,” Lesly lied, knowing that it was a problem. A huge problem. Today had been a wonderful day until she’d had to deal with this. But she refused to say anything else and turned her car around, heading back to Grayson. “Do you have a plan to get your car tomorrow?”

“I’ll figure something out,” Chris answered. He could feel the tension starting to mount. “Maybe JC can drive me back with some gas.”

“Depends on if he has to take care of Sutton. James is sick,” Lesly looked ahead, not bothering to look at him.

“I’ll figure something out,” Chris repeated, his tone with an edge of irritation. She didn’t always have to be so practical, did she?

“I’m sure you will,” Lesly muttered under her breath.

“Sorry? What is that supposed to mean?!” Chris couldn’t resist retorting.

“You always have it figured out, even when you have no idea what the hell you’re doing,” she snapped. “Moving here for one thing. That was dumb.”

“It was dumb. But I’m doing it,” Chris wanted to tell her about her father’s house, but he knew she’d lose it. She was on her way right now as it was.

“Well, have fun with that. I got a job today in Savannah. I’m leaving in February,” she announced.

Chris was reserved and refused to say anything. They were quiet until they came into town. She drove him over to his efficiency and threw the car into park. “See you,” she unlocked the car door, but Chris didn’t budge. Instead, he turned to face her. She was trying her best to keep her cool and he knew it. But he also knew what he did to her. He could irritate the shit out of her in a minute and turn her on the next.

“You’re never going to forgive me are you?” he spoke softly, his body turned toward hers.

“You’re not serious, are you?” Lesly put her head on the steering wheel. “Really, Chris, this conversation is done. I’m not having it with you again.”

“You know, I realize I was awful to you. And I wish I could do it all over again, you know that. I’ll spend the rest of my life making it up to you. And I don’t ever think I’ll love anyone else like I’ve loved you. You brought me to life in a way that no woman ever has, Les. And I know. I know it’s too late. But I moved here just live a normal, everyday life. You were just the bonus to that. Hey, I’m not trying to sugar coat anything. I know I messed up. I love you. And we were good together, you know? You can’t just pretend none of it happened because it did. I guess what I’m trying to say is that I’ll always regret losing you, but I’ll never regret finding you,” Chris didn’t wait for her to respond, simply opened the car door and left. Lesly watched him walk to his tiny apartment and go inside.

She sat for a minute in the car, her heart racing. How many times would he have to apologize? How many times would she ignore these feelings inside of her that she knew were for him. She hadn’t been honest with herself because she knew on those days that were hardest for her, Chris came to her mind often, making her feel relief from those minutes of sadness that coursed through her. He meant well. He loved her. He loved her. Lesly felt her hand press against the handle of the car door. She opened it and got out, walking towards his apartment. Her head was spinning, her mind racing. I’ll never regret finding you.

Lesly stood at his doorstep, her hand balled into a fist, ready to tap on his door. And then? Then what? She knocked. There was a job waiting for her in Savannah. A good job. Chris had lied to her. He had cheated for god’s sake. Why was she standing here now? And what good would it do? She thought about the Chris from two years ago. That was a different person and she knew it. Chris had grown up. He had taken care of her when her world had fallen apart.

“I’m still mad at you,” was the first thing she told him when he opened the door.

“I’m still mad at me, too,” he told her.

They both stood looking at each other.

“Well, that’s one thing we can agree on,” Lesly stepped forward, her arms feeling drawn around his neck.

“We have to start somewhere,” Chris rested his hands on her waist.

“You grew up,” she pulled her body close to his.

“You made me want to grow up,” he rested his head on her forehead.

“Kiss me,” Lesly didn’t wait for him to respond to her request, simply reached up and kissed him first. 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love daddyjc marriedjc chris