Author's Chapter Notes:

"...the past is gone but something might be found to take its place..."

Hey Jealousy - The Gin Blossoms 

The bar at the Four Seasons was crowded by 10pm and Josh hoped she’d be able to spot him. He’d grabbed a table near the wine cellar and ordered a beer while he waited. It had been a long day filled with interviews and press conferences about the new album. But he was excited to see Becca. There was something about her that struck him and he was interested to find out more. He’d done some investigating during the day and found out she was 22, a recent graduate from Boston College, and had had a small role in the last James Bond movie. Just as his beer came, he looked up and saw her standing at the entrance of the bar. He caught her attention and waved her over.

Becca caught Josh’s eye and smiled at him, making her way toward him. She’d been thinking about this all day, even calling Janelle, her best friend from college, and telling her about her date. Janelle didn’t hesitate and told her to go and have a drink. It was one drink and how bad would it be to say you had drinks with a member of the biggest boy band in the world right now? Janelle was right, Becca figured, and once she saw him again, she was happy she’d stuck with her decision.

“Hope you don’t mind. I already ordered a beer for myself. What do you want?” Josh asked, after she sat across from him.

“A cosmo, please,” Becca looked up at the server, who ran off to the bar tender. “Hi. How are you?”

Josh smiled at her. She was wearing a lavender cardigan, a white tank top, and dressy jeans. It was casual but nice and Josh appreciated it. “I’m good. Been in meetings all day. It’s nice to unwind now.” Josh sipped his beer. “How was Letterman?”

“It went well. I don’t mind the talk show circuit, actually. I’m waiting to get on Rosie’s show,” Becca replied, playing with the bottom of the table cloth. She studied Josh for a minute, trying to be discreet. He had the most beautiful blue eyes. They were crystal clear, almost. And his smile. Well, Becca was careful not to start acting like a teeny bopper, but she suddenly knew why he was so popular.

“We do her show a lot. I’ll put in a good word for you,” Josh winked at her, and took another swig of beer. “So, tell me about you. I have to be honest, I’ve only watched your show once.”

“Hm, well, then I guess I can’t be friends with you if you haven’t even watched my show,” Becca teased, her eyes twinkling. “It’s ok. I haven’t bought any of your albums. I’m kind of a Backstreet fan. Nick and I have been friends for years now.”

“So I heard this morning. Well, we’re even then,” he chuckled. Becca’s drink came and JC lifted his beer. “Cheers.” He clinked his bottle with her martini glass. “So, Sarah. Tell me about it. I kind of get it mixed up with Felicity.”

“Most people do,” Becca took a sip of her Cosmo. “It’s a completely different story. Sarah is a waitress at a bar in Hollywood and she’s also raising her younger brother because their parents were killed in a plane crash. So it’s about juggling her time between waitressing and parenting and the occasional love interest.”

“Hm,” Josh nodded thoughtfully. “I should give it a shot. When’s it on again?”

“Mondays at 9. I’ll call you next week and see if you caught the last one,” Becca winked at him and then caught herself but it was too late. Josh raised an eyebrow.

“Oh. So we’re calling each other now?” he teased her, casually resting his hand on top of hers.

“Well, you did give me your number, remember?” Becca held up her hand and showed him the remnant of what was left of his phone number. They both shared a laugh together. This was going better than Becca had ever thought it would. She felt completely natural and comfortable with him, like they’d known each other for years.

 

June 2000

Becca squinted at the sunlight coming in through the hotel room window. They’d forgotten to shut the curtain all the way last night and the first drops of sunlight were now quite visible. She groaned and rolled over, expecting her arm to rest on Josh’s stomach, but all she felt was an empty bed. She looked up and saw that it was almost 7:30.

“Josh?” she called, wondering if he’d gone into the shower. She sighed and slowly rose out of bed, stumbling into the bathroom. There was a note on the mirror: Went to get coffee downstairs. Be back soon. She took the note off and threw it in the trashcan, then quickly splashed water on her face and brushed her teeth. Her flight left in four hours and Josh had promised to take her to the airport before their next sound check in Chicago. She was headed back to L.A. after being with him a week on the road. This was how their relationship survived, more or less, in the last 5 months. They’d go back and forth to each other, most of the time ending up in a hotel room in Manhattan or Chicago or Boston or wherever Nsync was performing at the time. On the rare occasion, Josh would fly out to L.A. and stay with Becca at her bungalow in Brentwood.

Becca was happy with their relationship, but she longed for the day when one of them would have a hiatus and would be allowed to spend more time than just a week or two. He’d promised after the summer tour ended they’d go off to Cabo or St. Barts or somewhere that they could have a proper vacation. That was exciting and fun to think about, but Becca also knew that in between that time, there would still be the crazy back and forth schedule. She envied Justin and Britney, who somehow still managed to see each other at least twice a week.

Josh came into the room a few minutes later, as Becca was changing out of her pajamas. He had in his hands two cups of coffee and a People magazine. He set the coffees down and went over to her, teasingly taking her hand off the shirt she was trying to put over her head.

“What are you doing?” she looked up at him and he smirked.

“Nothing. Just helping you get ready,” he threw the shirt over his head and kissed her, leading her back towards the bed.

“Josh, we have to be at the airport in-“ she started, but his mouth was covering hers and she didn’t get a chance to respond.

Twenty minutes later, they were both properly wide awake, sipping on coffee and watching a morning show on TV. Josh was lazily flipping through People, when suddenly he stopped and did a double take. There was Becca, a drink in her hand, a broad smile on her face. And next to her was Nick Carter. He had his arm around her and was flashing that annoying grin at the camera.

 “What’s this?” he thrust it into her hands and stared at her as she skimmed the photo.

“It’s a picture of me and Nick,” she responded, rolling her eyes. “Are you really on this again? I’ve told you from the beginning we’re just friends.”

 

“Seems to me you look mighty comfortable in that picture they have!” Josh shot back. He picked it up again and read aloud, “ ‘Actress Becca Sebastian shares a laugh and a hug with Backstreet Boy Nick Carter at a club in L.A. Boyfriend JC Chasez not pictured’.” He stared at her waiting for a response. Becca only rolled her eyes.

 

“Josh, I’ve known Nick for years. You know that! We’re friends for crying out loud! That’s it!” Becca snapped. “Why are you always second guessing me?” She groaned inwardly and turned away from him.

 

“Because you didn’t tell me you were out with Nick,” Josh muttered, and Becca could almost feel the jealousy oozing out of him.


“Seriously, Josh? I have to go through you to go out with a friend?” Becca stood and moved the magazine away from her. She turned away from him and went into the bathroom. He followed her, hot on her trail.

 

“That’s not what I mean, Bec,” Josh ran a hand through his hair. “I just, I get a little crazy when I see stuff like this. I know you’re only friends with him but he can get any girl he wants and-“

 

Becca sighed and turned to face him again, taking his hands in hers. “Would you stop it? You can get any girl you want, too. And I’m your girlfriend. And I like it like that.” She reached up to kiss him. “Stop being so jealous, Josh. I can’t deal with that every time I want to go out with friends and you’re not there.”

 

“Do you really have to be friends with him?” Josh was partly teasing, but Becca groaned again and went to get in the shower.

 

“I wish you’d just trust me, okay? I don’t love Nick I love you. But you have to stop this jealous streak you have going or-“

 

“Or what?” Josh folded his arms and looked at her. “Or you’re going to leave me?”

 

Becca looked at him and shook her head. “I can’t be in a relationship with someone who’s always second guessing my every move. I’m friends with a lot of guys and you know that and I’ve known Nick since we were thirteen. But that doesn’t mean I want to be with him.”

 

“You know I’ve been hurt. I just wish you’d be more careful when you’re out. Those tabloids want to do anything to cause us to look like we might be having problems,”

 

Becca stopped the running water and threw a towel over her. She walked over to Josh, cupped his face in her hands and kissed him. “I love you. I want to be your girlfriend. And I promise I am not cheating on you with Nick or anyone else. You know you can’t believe anything those tabloids say or you’ll drive yourself crazy. Can I get in the shower now, please?”

 

Josh only nodded and left the bathroom. Normally, he would have been all about hopping in the shower with her, but something just wasn’t settling right with him. This was the third time he’d seen a picture of Becca with Nick. He knew she really wasn’t cheating, but every time he saw her with him, it made Josh’s stomach turn. He threw the magazine in the trash and started to get ready.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: affair love nsasync jealous daddyjc boyfriendjc postsync proposal jc