Author's Chapter Notes:
All good things must come to an end. Thank you for reading! 

Epilogue – Present Day

It’s been nearly fourteen years since everything happened. I look back on all of that and sometimes feel like I am not the same person. I know that I’m not because the little girl who joined that girl band, who let herself be manipulated and abused is long gone from sight. I’m almost thirty-three and Ryden’s going to be thirteen in a couple of months. He’s the spitting image of his father. In fact, there’ve been a few times when people (mostly former Nsync fans) have done a double take. He looks a lot like JC did back when he was on MMC.

After JC was put in prison, a lot of things started to happen and all at once. I got a job working at Universal thanks to Joey and Chris, who went to bat for me. I danced in a show and the choreographer for the show asked me to come work at her dance studio. It was in Orlando not far from Universal or Lance’s house and I got really good hours. It was a professional studio so the pay was equally as good. Pretty soon, I was able to move Ryden and me out of Lance’s place and put a down payment on a house in the next neighborhood over. Six months after taking the job at the dance studio, I was made a partner and a year later, the studio was sold and Lance helped me buy it. I’m the proud owner of  “Addie Parker Dance Co.” and we now have studios all over Orlando and Tampa. I still work at the original studio, but there have been a few things that have occupied my time lately and I’ve had to cut back my hours.

Jen and Chris got married five years ago and have two kids. Jason is three and Rachael is two. They still live in Orlando and I see them all the time. Jen does back up work in the studio every so often but her main priority is her kids, which I obviously understand.

Brooke got a record deal with Jive and goes by the stage name of  “Brooke B.” She’s pretty popular and last summer we all went to see her take the stage at the American Airlines arena. She opened for Justin and they did a duet together on her last album. They’re cordial with one another but Brooke’s too busy with her career to settle for one guy. She and Joey dated off and on up until about three years ago and now they’re just friends. Although, I’m pretty sure they hook up every so often when they feel the need arise.

And as for Lance? Two months after JC was put away, he broke up with Melissa and asked me on a date. It was a slow process because of everything we’d gone through before and everything I was still going through. But eventually, we decided to become official. Two years later, we got married at a very small and intimate gathering. Ten months later, we had a little girl, Ansley, and when Ansley was six months old, I got pregnant with Braden.

JC was released on good behavior and stayed in Orlando because of Ryden. He finds work producing every so often that takes him out to LA but for the most part, he lays low in Florida. He’s cordial and we’ve both been through too much with each other to not at least be acquaintances. I’m pretty sure it bruised him when he found out Lance and I were getting married but he never said anything to anyone about it that I’m aware of. He’s dated a few women but none too serious. His main priority is Ryden. Ryden calls both JC and Lance “Dad” because he’s grown up with both of them in his life. He’s closer with Lance for obvious reasons, but he and JC do have a special bond and I’m happy that that’s been able to happen for them.

On this particular day, I’m at the dance studio going back and forth with answering phones and taking new clients. Most of my clients are teenagers who want to go into show business or collegiate adults who work for Universal or Disney part time. Lance is at home with Ansley and Braden who are now nine and eight, respectively, and Ryden is out with JC, who took him to a local high school basketball game. I’m at the front desk when the door opens and Ryden and JC walk into the studio. JC’s face is lined with a few wrinkles, he’s gone grey on the edges of his hair, and his once prominent blue eyes have turned a little grey as well. He smiles at me and I smile back.

“Hey, Mom,” Ryden comes around the desk to hug me. He pulls away and smiles and I’m reminded of that same smile that vexed me years ago. As much as I went through, had me and JC never met, I never would have had Ryden and I don’t regret that. Ever.

“Hi,” I kiss his cheek. “How was the game?”

“They lost,” Ryden answers and looks over my shoulder at the mini-refrigerator. “I’m hungry.”

“You just ate two hot dogs, son,” JC chuckles and shakes his head.

“That was hours ago, Dad,” Ryden answers and bends down to dig through the refrigerator. “Hey Mom, can I have this Snickers bar in the freezer?”

“Yes, but we’re going to Uncle Chris’ and Aunt Jen’s tonight for dinner and that’s in about two hours. You sure you want to-“ I haven’t finished my statement before Ryden is tearing into the candy bar. He looks at me, his mouth full of chocolate, and smiles widely, showing off those signature teeth that are his father’s as well.

“Ok, Ry, so dinner next week?” JC speaks up as Ryden jumps up on the counter.

“Yeah, Dad. Sounds good,” Ryden bites into the Snickers bar and JC slaps hands with him. “Hey, Mom, can I go to your office and watch TV? They’re gonna show highlights of the Magic game on ESPN later.”

I nod and smile as Ryden jumps off the counter and waves to JC, then kisses my cheek once more. I look at my ex and we both smile at one another.

“I’ll see you next week when I pick him up, I guess?” JC takes a step towards the door.

“Yeah,” I reply. “Have a good week, JC.”

“You, too, Addie,” JC nods at me and smiles, then walks out the door.

It’s a common occurrence between us, this meeting. Short and to the point. That’s all it could ever be after everything else we went through. I watch him disappear into his car and pull away, then immediately pull my phone out and call Lance.

“Hey,” he answers on the first ring and I hear the sounds of Ansley and Braden laughing in the background.

“Hey,” I reply. “What’s so funny over there?”

Despicable Me,” Lance says. “You almost done there?”

“Uh huh. Just a few loose ends to tie up and Ryden and I will be home,” I say.

“See you then. Love you, babe.”

“I love you, too.”

I smile and hang up the phone, sighing contentedly. For a long time, I didn’t think I’d ever get to this place. In fact, I thought I’d be miserable with JC for the rest of my life and just learn to live with it. But I’m glad it all happened. I’m glad I’m stronger and a better person for all I went through.

And I’m glad for second chances.


Completed
Alysen Blaine is the author of 20 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 4 members. Members who liked Tales of a Former Pop Star also liked 110 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: firsttime court triangles drunksex daddyjc abusiveex lance