Author's Chapter Notes:
So sorry for the delay. Life has been a bit crazy but it's now finally slowing down. Hope you enjoy this chapter!

“I never get to do anything fun with you and Daddy!’ Emma-Claire whined. She was standing in the doorway of the bathroom that Annie shared with JC while Annie put on her make-up. It was Saturday evening and Annie was getting ready for a night out with JC, Megan and Derek, and Lance and Michael. Jamie and Carey would be arriving at any minute to watch Emma-Claire, who clearly was not happy with the arrangement for the night.

“Emma, you know that’s not true.” Annie shook her head and looked at the little girl in the mirror. “And you know you’d be bored. It’s a bunch of grown-ups out at dinner. There won’t be any other kids and you probably wouldn’t like the food anyway.” Annie applied eye shadow and then eyeliner. “Plus, you get to play with Jamie and Carey. And they’re a lot of fun!”

Emma-Claire sighed and leaned against the doorframe. “Can we play tomorrow, then?”

“Of course, silly girl.” Annie winked at Emma-Claire and looked through her make-up bag for her blush. She checked the time on her phone and tried not to be exasperated at JC, who had yet to come home from the studio. He swore he’d be back before it was time to go, but they were supposed to be leaving in a half hour and he’d neither called or texted about when he’d be coming home.

Annie finished applying her make-up and walked out of the bathroom with Emma-Claire at her heel. She went into the large walk-in closet and began to debate about what she should wear. The restaurant was upscale and trendy, or at least that’s what Megan had told her earlier that day when she’d called to find out what Annie would be wearing. She decided on a strapless black dress that hugged her in all the right places and matched them with a pair of strappy black sandals.

“That’s pretty, Annie!” Emma-Claire said, giving her approval. Annie grinned at her and placed the dress on the bed.

“Okay, while I’m getting dressed why don’t you go and clean up your toys in the living room.” Annie instructed and Emma-Claire didn’t hesitate at all before dashing outside of the bedroom. Annie looked down at the dress and knew JC would be more than excited when he saw her in it. In the last few days, he’d made attempts at being more attentive, though he still wasn’t able to divvy up his time like he should have between work and home. There had been a few small arguments about it, but he’d sworn to her that tonight he’d be on time and they’d have a great time with their friends.

Just as Annie finished putting her hair up in a ponytail, her phone buzzed and she picked it up, seeing JC’s number flash across the screen.

“Hey,” she answered and sat down on the edge of the bed.

“I’m going to be later than I thought,” was JC’s response.

“Josh-“

“I know, baby, I know. I’ll just meet you at the restaurant, okay? I promise I’ll be there as soon as possible.”

“How soon is that?”

“Don’t order without me.” JC assured her, making it seem as though he’d be there shortly after everyone arrived.

“Okay, if you say so.” Annie sighed into the phone and JC told her goodbye. She stood to her feet and finished getting ready.

Annie hated walking into the restaurant alone. It was loud and busy, as were most places in L.A. on a Saturday night. She’d left Emma-Claire in the capable hands of Jamie and Carey, who’d promised the child lots of ice cream and movies before Annie left. She looked around the bar and waved at Lance and Michael who were sipping on martinis. They waved her over and Annie smiled as she ambled over to them.

“Where’s C?” Lance asked her, pulling out a bar stool for her. Annie hopped up on the stool and pulled her dress down as far as it would go as to not expose more than need be.

“Late,” Annie answered and looked at the bartender. “Gin and Soda.” He nodded and turned to grab her drink.

“Is he on his way?” Michael eased his way over to her and propped his arm on the bar.

“Supposedly.” Annie turned to the entrance of the restaurant. “Any word from Derek or Megan?”

“No. Then again, I kind of forgot what they look like.” Lance shrugged and took a gulp of his martini.

Annie pulled out her phone and sighed upon not seeing anything from JC or Megan. It didn’t help that her best friend was just as scatterbrained as her boyfriend. Just then a message from Megan popped up:

On our way! Five min.

“Megan and Derek are on their way.” Annie put her phone on the bar. “Who knows about Josh.”

“Are things still, I mean, are you guys okay?” Lance ventured to ask.

“Sometimes.” Annie wanted to say more but now wasn’t the time or the place. “It’s fine most of the time, I’ll just say that for now.”

Lance nodded. “I get it,” he said and patted her leg.

At that minute, Annie’s phone buzzed again and she grabbed it seeing it was a text from JC:

Go on and get drinks w/o me. See you soon.

Annie shook her head and put her phone away. No sense in responding. She knew it could be a while before he arrived.

 

JC finished locking up the studio and grabbed the extra shirt he’d brought with him that morning. He dashed into the bathroom near the entrance and quickly changed, knowing that by the time he arrived he’d be almost an hour late. He also knew the look on Annie’s face would be less than one that was pleased or happy with him. There was nothing he could do. The session had run over and he needed to make sure everything was set for the following day. But he knew, he knew none of that would fly with Annie. He hated seeing her disappointed and lately, he was getting that vibe from her, no matter how much they made love or spent time together, he was starting to feel that it was going to be impossible to make her completely happy.

 

“…so anyway, we’re driving and all of the sudden this cow comes out of nowhere and Lance has to swerve to miss it…” Michael was recounting a story of the last time he and Lance had gone back to Mississippi to visit Lance’s family. Annie had barely been paying attention. Drinks had come to the table as had appetizers. They were all holding off on ordering their main course until JC arrived, but it had been over an hour since Annie had last heard from him. Their server had come back and forth to refill drinks and Annie knew their was only so many appetizers they could order before they’d be full and it would be pointless to order a main course.

“Let’s just get our food,” she finally spoke once Michael had finished the story and laughter had ceased. Megan looked over at her friend and winced at the sullen expression that was on Annie’s face.

“Are you sure?” Megan asked. “We can wait.”

“It’s after nine. I know we’re all hungry and there’s only so much finger food you can eat before you’re full.” Annie finished off her gin and tonic and sat back in her seat.

“Fine.” Lance looked over at their server and waved him over. “Is everyone ready then?”

Before they could respond, JC entered the restaurant and hurried over to the table. He grinned at Annie as though nothing were wrong or out of sorts and pulled out the chair that was empty next to her.

“Hey.” JC leaned over to peck Annie’s cheek and then began making the rounds of greeting around the table. “Derek, man, it’s so good to see you! Sorry I’m late. Things at the studio got out of hand.”

Annie said nothing, only played with the tiny straw in her drink. She made eye contact with Megan, who rolled her eyes towards JC, who was catching up with Derek. JC placed a hand on Annie’s thigh and squeezed it, then moved closer to her and kissed the side of her forehead.

“Hey baby.” JC kissed her again but Annie only eyed him and went back to her drink. The tension at the table began to build and Annie could sense all eyes were on them. It wasn’t a secret that she’d been upset with him for being late and now that he was here, she wasn’t relenting.

“Um.” Lance cleared his throat. “So, JC, how’s Emma doing?”

“Oh yeah, I heard about her surgery. That must have been really scary for you guys,” said Derek, looking from JC to Annie.

“God, you’re telling me.” JC shook his head. “But I was just glad I got to the hospital in time. Poor baby girl.”

Annie was biting her tongue by now. She held in a breath and finally let it out. “In time for what?” Annie suddenly heard herself speaking and it was too late to take it back.

“In time for the surgery.” JC said it as though it were common knowledge that he’d been there in time to see Emma-Claire rolled into surgery.

“I cannot imagine seeing your little girl having to go into surgery,” Derek was saying, while Annie brooded silent in her seat. Megan kicked her under the table and jerked her head towards the bathrooms. Annie nodded and excused herself with Megan before JC could say anything.

“What the hell is going on with you two?” Megan demanded as soon as they entered the ladies room.

“He wasn’t even at the hospital until after Emma was in surgery first of all and second of all, he waltzes in here like he’s not almost an hour and a half late with the same fucking excuse he’s had for a month now! The studio, the studio, the studio! I feel like the studio is just a code name for another woman or something.” Annie leaned against the wall of the small entrance of the bathroom. She felt tears on the brink of rolling down her cheeks and quickly shook her head as though that would make them magically disappear.

“Oh, Ann, I’m sorry. I didn’t realize it had gotten to that point.” Megan put a hand on Annie’s shoulder and squeezed it.

“No, I mean, we still are fine when he’s not being all about himself. But it’s just, I don’t know, I don’t think he gets how much he isn’t around. And he acts like it’s no big deal when it is. It’s a huge deal. Emma-Claire asks about him constantly. I’m not her mother but I sure as hell feel like it because I do more for her than her father does lately.” Annie had let the tears fall but was controlling her speech as not to sound weepy.

“I don’t know what to say, Annie.” Megan wanted to offer advice to her friend but Annie knew that there was no situation quite like the one she had with JC. “Look, why don’t you calm down and come back to the table. I’ll tell the others that you’re on your way, okay?”

“Fine. Okay.” Annie could only nod and went over to the mirror to reapply the eye make up that was now rolling down her cheeks.

“Where’s Annie?” JC asked when Megan returned without her.

“Oh, um, she’s coming. She just had a little make-up mishap.” Megan gave an assured smile to JC and caught up on the conversation.

“JC’s telling us about the night Emma went to the hospital,” Derek said to Megan as she squeezed in next to him.

“So, anyway, I got there as soon as Annie called and they wheeled her to surgery just after I got to the waiting room. And it was a longer process than I thought but the doctor told us that we came just in time and-“

“He told us that?” Annie interrupted and JC whipped his head around to see her standing next to him. She’d caught the last snippet of his monologue and was floored that he could so easily forget what had really happened. “No, Josh, he told me that.”

“Well, I meant to say he told you but then you relayed it to me, right?” JC was trying to force a smile but was finding it difficult with the expression on Annie’s face.

“Yeah, I did. After you came and she was already in surgery!” Her tone was sharp and the whole table got quiet.

“Annie, does it matter? The point is, we were both there, and-“ JC started to say until Annie grabbed her purse and cut him off.

“It matters a lot, Josh.” She looked at the table of people and pursed her lips before she spoke again. “I’m gonna go. Have a great night. I’m just not up for this tonight.” She walked away before anyone else could say anything to her.

JC stood so fast he nearly knocked over his chair. He flew out of the restaurant and met Annie at valet where she was getting her car.

“What are you doing, Annie?” JC demanded. “What the hell was that back there? You can’t just leave!”

“I can leave, Josh. I’m not going to sit there while you tell lie after lie about Emma-Claire. I’m tired of it all, Josh. I can’t do this anymore.” Annie almost couldn’t believe the words that had come out of her mouth but they were true and she knew it had been coming for a while now.
“Stop being dramatic!” JC snapped and only then realized what he’d said.

At that minute, Annie’s car came rolling up next to the valet station. She handed over a few dollars to the driver and got in her car before JC could take back his retort to her.

The tears flowed freely down her cheeks as she drove back to the house. It had all come down to this and it had been this way for weeks now, no matter how much they apologized to each other. She loved Emma-Claire and she loved JC but Annie could only take so much with his work and she wasn’t cut out for it. Tonight had been proof. Or perhaps tonight had just been the last straw and she should’ve left him weeks ago.

Or never started dating him in the first place.

 

JC prayed that there weren’t any cops as he flew down the freeway back to the house. He had to talk to her and apologize. The look on her face had been one he’d not seen before. Shock and disdain and sadness all rolled into one. He had to get to her and tell her he was sorry. He knew he’d embellished the truth but he also knew he didn’t want to look like the worst father in the world, which is how he’d felt the night of Emma-Claire’s surgery.

When he pulled into the driveway, he was relieved to find Annie’s car parked in its usual spot in front of the garage. He turned the car off and went over to hers, placing his hand on the hood. It was still quite warm and JC knew that she must have only just gotten home a few minutes ago. Jamie’s car was also gone so he knew she was alone with just Emma-Claire, who was most likely now asleep.

He walked into the house and found it quieter than he’d expected. The downstairs was dark and the only signs of life were toys that hadn’t been put away by Emma-Claire in front of the television. JC headed for the stairs and climbed them one at a time, already wondering what he’d find in their bedroom.

Annie was throwing her clothes on the bed and digging through the walk-in closet to try and find her suitcase. She’d made a comment to Jamie and Carey that she’d call them tomorrow and fill them in but that things weren’t good and she was moving out the next day. To where, she had no idea. Tonight she would sleep in the guest room and that was all she knew.

Her mind hadn’t quite wrapped around the fact that she was really going to break up with JC. It had been coming for a while and she knew it, she’d just squelched it and decided not to deal with it. She’d forgiven and forgiven until she was exhausted from it. There was no sense in staying around except for Emma-Claire and Annie knew that she’d have to let her go, too. There was no way she could still work for JC and be around the only man who’d made her crazy like he had and still be able to function with Emma-Claire.

Annie knew from the beginning that it had been a big risk to date her boss in the first place and now it had boiled down to this. She had to leave. She had to hug Emma-Claire goodbye for the final time tomorrow morning and it killed her inside to think of that.

She heard him open the door to their bedroom but didn’t stop throwing her clothes into her suitcase.

“Annie, what are you doing?” His voice was soft and tender and Annie almost forgot why she was doing this.

She didn’t answer him, only began to throw her clothes in faster and went back into the walk-in closet to begin retrieving shoes and jewelry.

“Annie.” JC went over to the closet and blocked her from walking out of it. “No, talk to me!”

“I’m done.” Annie sniffed and wiped a stray tear away from her cheek. “We’re done, Josh. I’m tired of this.” She pushed him away and walked out of the closet and over to the bed where her suitcase was displayed.

“Don’t be stupid, Annie, this is us. Me and you. You know we do this. We fight and we make up and-“

“Yeah, Josh, we fight a lot now. You care more about that studio and all of your damn work there than you do about me or your own daughter. This isn’t easy for me to do. I love you and I love Emma-Claire as if she were my flesh and blood, but I can’t keep being your doormat. Tonight you lied to our friends. And not to mention you acted like it wasn’t any big deal that you were as late as you were. You don’t think of anyone else but yourself and I’m over it.” Annie’s tears flooded her cheeks now and she didn’t bother to wipe them away.  She zipped up her suitcase and pulled it off the bed. “I’ll sleep in the guest room tonight and see if I can stay with Megan tomorrow.”

“Annie-“ JC couldn’t finish what he wanted to tell her because he didn’t really know what it was that he could say to change her mind. She was beyond any point of reconciliation. And it was his fault. He’d blown it once again.

“Goodbye, Josh.” Annie took her suitcase and walked out of the room, not bothering to look back at him.

Chapter End Notes:
Review please and thanks ;)


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: oral girlontop kitchensex daddyjc phonesex producerjc boyfriendjcc