May – Two Months Later

 

“Emma, come down for breakfast.” JC stood at the bottom of the stairs and waited for his daughter to come out of her bedroom. He’d gotten to bed late and it wasn’t until he’d gotten up to go to the bathroom at six that morning that he realized he’d forgotten to set his alarm. Emma-Claire would get to pre-school just in time. At least he hoped so, anyway.

In the last two months, he’d found a rhythm. He’d decided it best to take a hiatus from the band and Jimmy had encouraged that he spend the extra time at home and not hire another nanny. JC knew that was impossible. He was still trying to get over the last one.

Emma-Claire appeared at the top of the steps in a mismatched outfit of pink denim shorts and an old worn out t-shirt. JC shook his head and made his way up to her. He still hadn’t caught on that she needed help dressing herself, no matter how many times she tried.

“Let’s get you a new shirt.” He grinned down at her and she made a face.

“But I like this one, Daddy.”

“It doesn’t even match. C’mon, baby.” He walked into her room, which was now a mess of clothes and toys strewn everywhere. Cleanliness wasn’t really at the top of his list as a father.

He quickly changed her into a matching top, ran a brush through her hair, and double-checked to make sure she looked presentable before they both made their way back downstairs. Emma-Claire immediately asked for Lucky Charms and after he looked at the time, JC relented because she would certainly be late if he did anything other than cereal.

Once she was fed and put in the car, he made the familiar trek down to the Lutheran church to drop her off. He was cordial with her teacher like always, kissed his daughter goodbye, and got back in the car. He had three hours to kill and he had no idea what to do first. It was a pattern now. He could’ve gone back home and worked some in his studio, but he knew himself too well to know it would only make him want to go back to work right away.

Instead, he drove over to Starbucks, grabbed his iPad, and decided to catch up on some forgotten emails and texts. Just as soon as he’d ordered, his phone buzzed and he looked down to see a reminder.

Emma-Claire’s Birthday is Saturday.

“Shit.” He sighed loudly and shook his head while he waited on his coffee. In all of the chaos of losing Annie and being a single father now with really nothing else happening, JC had forgotten his daughter’s upcoming fifth birthday. And being that he’d never celebrated it with her, he had no idea where to even begin.

He sat down by the window and immediately began an internet search on “five-year-old birthday party for girls.” A myriad of things came up from ladybugs to princesses to ice cream.

“JC?”

JC looked up from his iPad and smiled immediately when he saw Megan standing next to his seat.

“Hey, Megan. How are you?” He stood to give her a quick hug, then offered her the seat across from him, which she took.

“Good. How are you?” It was the most formal she’d been with him in a long time.

“You know..just..hanging in there…” He trailed off, not knowing what else to say. They both knew it had been difficult with Annie gone now.

“Yeah. I’m sure.” Megan brought the Starbucks cup to her lips and took a sip. “How’s Emma-Claire?”

“She’s good.” JC nodded his head and showed her the iPad displayed with pictures of little girls’ birthday parties. “Just trying to figure out what to do for her birthday. It’s on Saturday and to be honest, I had forgotten.”

“You have a pool. It’s pretty warm outside. Just give her a good old-fashioned pool party.” Megan suggested and JC contemplated the idea.

“Yeah. I guess. But you know. I gotta get invites out and I don’t even know all her friends in her class or-“

Megan shook her hand and put a hand up to interrupt him. “JC, it’s not that complicated. Look, when you pick her up today, mention to her teacher that her birthday is Saturday and you’d like to do a little party in class for her Friday. Pick up cupcakes at Safeway and bring them in for the party. Ask her tonight two or three friends she’d like to have come over on Saturday for a little pool party. You can go to Party City and just get a bunch of pink stuff or something for decorations. Get a pizza, get a cake, and fruit punch. Voila.”

JC stared at Megan in amazement. She’d just spouted off a lot of information that made it seem so easy to throw a kid a birthday party in a matter of seconds.

“How did you –“ He started to ask and Megan laughed aloud.

“I’m a nanny. I’ve been one for a long time. It’s a good thing my kiddos go to school around here, otherwise I don’t know what you would’ve done.” She was teasing but JC felt like she was probably right.

They were silent for a few seconds while they sipped on their coffees and finally JC spoke.

“How is she?”

Megan looked up from her drink and hesitated before she answered him. She didn’t want to give him too much information because she knew Annie wouldn’t have wanted her to do that, but she liked JC and the question was bound to come up sooner or later.

“She’s fine. She’s back in Ohio. Her first class starts in about two weeks. She’s been keeping busy with babysitting her sister’s kids and she got a part-time job answering phones for her dad’s business.” It was all the truth and Megan felt proud of herself for not divulging that much information about her friend.

“Does she..I mean, well..never mind.” JC shook his head and tapped on his iPad.

“She misses you.” Megan couldn’t help but tell him that. His face had been so sad when she hadn’t mentioned him.

“She does?”

“Of course she does. She’s not just going to get over you in two months. You guys shared a lot of stuff. And she misses Emma-Claire a lot.” Megan knew she should’ve just stopped talking right then but continued anyway. “She told me the other night that she’s excited about starting school again, but that it was going to take a while before she stopped thinking about you guys.”

JC didn’t say anything, only stared off into space. He cleared his throat and took a gulp of his coffee.

“Hey, I have to go. I have a list of stuff I need to get done today for my boss.” Megan stood and JC followed suit. She gave him a quick hug and smiled at him. “Let me know how the party goes.”

“I will. Thanks again, Megan. For…for everything you said.” JC squeezed her arm before Megan turned to leave. He groaned inwardly and rubbed his forehead. He sat down once more and finished his coffee, doing what he could to focus on anything except missing Annie.

 

“I can invite three friends to my party?” Emma-Claire asked him later that day. They were sitting in her playhouse after she’d taken her nap and JC was letting his daughter pour him a fake cup of tea from her tea set.

“Yep. Any three from school.” JC replied and picked up his pink teacup. “I’ll call their mommy’s tonight and see if it’s ok.” He’d also cleared it with Miss Morton to have a small little party for Emma-Claire on Friday, which made her doubly excited.

“Hmm.” Emma-Claire put down the teapot and strummed her little fingers on her chin as if deep in thought. JC tried his best not to laugh out loud at the expression on his daughter’s face and sipped some fake tea. “I want Ava and Harper and Molly. And can we invite Uncle Lance and Uncle Michael?”

“Sure.” JC nodded. He was just taking out his phone to make a note of the girls and to text Lance and Michael, when Emma-Claire spoke again.

“Can we invite Annie?”

JC looked up at her and they both stared at each other. “Emma,” said JC, doing his best not to show disappointment to her. “I don’t think she can make it. You know she doesn’t live here anymore and-“

“Just ask her, Daddy!” Emma-Claire insisted. “She’ll want to be here for my party!”

 

Annie couldn’t fall asleep. She had had one too many cappuccinos that day trying to make up for not sleeping the night before. It was becoming a habit, this lack of sleep, and she wondered when she started school if it would finally cease and she’d be able to rest through the night again. She tossed to one side and looked at her phone, which was next to her on the nightstand. It had to have been past midnight now but she picked it up and figured a game or two of Candy Crush wouldn’t hurt.

What she saw on her screen made her stomach turn in knots. It was a text from JC.

Emma’s bday is on Sat. Having a party. She really wants you there. I can pay for a ticket but def get it if you can’t come. Let me know.

Annie stared at the text and read it over and over again until she practically had it memorized. There was no way she could see him right now, but the fact that it was for Emma-Claire’s birthday changed everything. It sounded absolutely absurd to think of flying all the way from Ohio to L.A. for a birthday party, but at the same time, it was for a child who’d, for the most part, felt like her own.

She debated about whether or not to respond right away or wait until the next morning. Holding the phone in her hand, she bit her lip and started typing.

 

JC’s phone had been resting on his stomach while he watched TV in the living room. He felt it vibrate against him and looked at it. His eyes widened in surprise when he saw who the text was from.

Hey. I might be able to make it work for Emma-Claire. Just let me know details and I’ll see what I can do.

His mouth felt dry and he sat straight up, texting her back again.

Great she’ll be so excited when I tell her. You can stay in the pool house.

Annie grimaced when she saw his response. No, it was not a good idea to stay in the pool house and she knew it.

I’ll just stay at Megan’s but thanks anyway.

JC frowned at that response, though he knew she’d probably stay at Megan’s anyway.

Ok, cool. Party will prob start around noon. Tell Megan she’s welcome to come too.

Annie sat up in bed and started and stopped a message back to him several times before she finally sent it.

I will. See you Saturday.

She’d wanted to say more. She’d wanted to tell him how much she missed him, how she really couldn’t wait to see him and Emma-Claire, and how she thought about them both everyday since she’d been away. But no, the response she’d given was the appropriate one. There was no sense in saying anything else.

See ya.

JC debated about telling her he couldn’t wait to see her but the way these messages had been so surfaced and formal, he figured a quick goodnight was the best he could give her.

 

“You’re coming to L.A. on Saturday? Annie, that’s awesome!” Megan was practically yelling on the other end of the line and Annie had to hold her phone away from her ear.

“It’s for Emma’s birthday. I’ll fly in Friday evening and fly back on Sunday. Can you pick me up and take me back to the airport?”

“Of course.” Megan answered and Annie could hear the strain in her voice.

“What?”

“No. Nothing. It’s just…I mean, you sure you just don’t want to let JC pick you up or-“

“No. The less time I spend around him, the better. It’ll be enough just to have to see him at the party on Saturday. Which by the way, he invited you to come along.”

“Sweet. I’ll see if I can make it.”

“Ok. My flight gets in around seven but I’ll text you the details tomorrow.”

“Sure, ok. I’m excited to see you on Friday. I know you’re not coming for long, but we’ll try to squeeze in a lot on Friday and some of Saturday before you head back.”

Annie smiled at the thought of being back with her L.A. friends. Anything would be better than hanging out with her sister night after night. She loved Maggie but Maggie was also a mom and her older sister. She was tired of being told what she should do and feeling like Maggie was bossing her around as though they were kids again.

“That sounds great, Megs. I can’t wait. I’ll talk to you later, then.”

“Bye, Ann.”

Annie hung up and tried to let it sink in that she was going to see JC again, much sooner than she’d ever expected to see him. She vowed not to be weak and let him see her in the vulnerable state she seemed to feel like she was in most of the time now. No, she would be strong and she would let him know she was just there for Emma-Claire.

She just wished she could believe everything she was trying to force herself to believe.

Chapter End Notes:
reviews always welcomed and appreciated ;)


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: oral girlontop kitchensex daddyjc phonesex producerjc boyfriendjcc