Author's Chapter Notes:
"...we're just going to have to keep being surfaced to each other until we decide what to do.."

Megan was waiting for Annie when she stepped off the bus at the Flyaway station. Annie grinned upon seeing her friend and, after dodging the mass exodus of people getting off the bus, briskly walked over to Megan.

“It’s so good to see you!” Megan threw her arms around Annie’s neck. “Carey and Jamie are waiting for us back at my apartment. We figured you’d be tired and want a night in.”

“I’m fine with whatever.” Annie tried to suppress a yawn, but it was too late. She’d boarded the plane in Ohio hours ago and was feeling every bit of jet lag.

“That’s exactly why we’re staying in.” Megan chuckled at her friend as they got into the car. “How was the flight?”

“Not too bad. I tried to sleep but, you know, stuff kept me awake.” Annie looked over at Megan. “I still can’t believe I did this.”

“Did what? Come for Emma’s birthday?” Megan turned onto the freeway, cursed at a driver who’d cut her off immediately, and then went back to her question. “So, as I was saying, you can’t believe you came for Emma’s birthday?”

“You know what I mean.” Annie replied. “Emma’s birthday is one thing. Seeing Josh is another.”

“How do you think it’s gonna go when you see him tomorrow?”

Annie had thought about that since the ticket had been purchased to come out to L.A. in the first place. She’d imagined it a hundred times or more. But it was a situation she knew was simply unimaginable until it happened.

“I have no idea.” Annie sunk back into the seat and was quiet for the rest of the drive to Megan’s apartment.

 

On Saturday, JC’s backyard was filled with a mini-Ferris wheel, a bounce castle, a magician, a balloon artist, Emma-Claire’s entire preschool class, a few parents, Lance, and Michael. JC was busy walking back and forth from the house to the pool making sure the little ones were jumping in with supervision. Most of the parents had kept guard near the shallow end since many of their kids weren’t swimming in the deep end quite yet. Emma-Claire was on the Ferris wheel for her fourth go around with Lance and Michael, who had uncomfortably squeezed in on either side of her.

JC had decided to just go ahead and invite Emma-Claire’s whole class not thinking all ten children would show up.

“Of course they all showed up. You know their moms were probably all huge fans of yours or the band or something.” Lance told him before the party got into gear. “Do you have enough cake?”

“I ordered two sheet cakes from the bakery. They’re in the other refrigerator.” JC gestured toward the garage where the extra refrigerator was.

“Two? Dude, you’ll have enough cake to feed her class twice.” Lance shook his head and walked away. JC then realized he’d probably overdone it with the rides and the magician and when the food truck rolled around to the backyard, Lance and Michael were gaping at him from the top of the Ferris wheel.

But to JC, it didn’t matter at the end of the day. Because it was all for Emma-Claire and he knew she’d probably never had a birthday party like this before, so it was worth it to him to splurge like this.

He was also distracted every two minutes waiting for Annie to appear. He hadn’t heard from her since she’d landed and only hoped she was still going to make an appearance.

“Okay, Emma-Claire, I think Uncle Michael and I are going to take a rest from the Ferris wheel.” Lance was saying as he, Michael, and Emma-Claire walked over to JC.

“That’s probably a good idea. The magician is gonna start soon, honey. Why don’t you-“ JC was interrupted by Emma-Claire’s shriek of joy. He turned around to see her running right into Annie’s arms and his heart sank.

 

Annie and Megan had walked around to the back of the house and come through the gate. They were both taken aback by everything going on in front of them. Megan was just about to make a comment to Annie about the balloon artist, when they heard a squeal of delight from across the yard.

Emma-Claire was racing toward them, her arms held out to Annie. Annie knelt down and squeezed the child tightly against her.

“You came!” Emma-Claire pulled away from Annie and giggled with ecstasy.

“I did. It’s your birthday. I couldn’t miss your birthday.” Annie kissed her cheek and slowly stood to her feet, not wanting to look up. She could feel JC’s eyes on her. Instead, she kept her gaze down at the child and listened intently at everything Emma-Claire was saying to her.

“Glad you could make it.” JC was standing only feet from her and yet he felt like he was a million miles away.

Annie forced herself to look up at him and gave him a nervous smile. “Hey. Yeah, sorry we’re late.”

“Traffic. L.A. You know how it goes.” Megan was trying to break the tension. “Hey Lance and Michael! How are you?”

“We just rode the Ferris wheel four times in a row. We’re a little dizzy.” Michael also was trying to keep it light and airy. For JC and Annie, it felt as though they were both frozen in front of one another.

“Well, how about we get something to eat, Ann.” Megan nudged Annie, who quickly nodded and followed Megan over to the food truck. Emma-Claire stuck close by, introducing her former nanny to all of her friends while they walked past them.

“How are you?” Lance asked JC, watching Annie and Megan leave.

JC shook his head. “She still takes my breath away.”

“I’ve never heard you say anything like that before about a girl.” Lance looked from JC over to Annie and back again.

“I never felt like I do with any of the rest of them,” said JC.

“I know. I saw you with the rest of them.” Lance saw Annie look behind her to glance at JC who was still staring at her. “You gotta do something, man. You can’t just have her be here the whole time and not say anything. I mean, you two barely even spoke to each other.”

“I get it, I know.” JC was trying not to reply with irritation, but he knew he’d come off that way. He couldn’t help it. It was easy for him to go into defense mode here. After all, he was the one that had ruined it.

“Okay. Well, if you know, then maybe do something about it.” Lance walked away with Michael and left JC standing alone.

 

“So…are you just gonna let him stand over there pining after you.” Megan whispered to Annie while the magician was demonstrating a disappearing handkerchief trick.

“I’m here for Emma-Claire.” Annie was firm in her response. Of course she’d noticed him standing at a distance and had caught him eyeing her whenever she’d turned to look his way. She was just as guilty because she’d been doing the same thing.

“Oh geez.” Megan rolled her eyes at her friend. “You’re ridiculous, Annie. You know you’ve been just as miserable without him as he’s been without you.”

“And you know how much he messed everything up when we were together. I was more of a parent to Emma than he was!” Annie whispered back in a sharp tone.

A few parents turned their heads and Annie and Megan ducked away from the crowd.

“A person can change,” Megan said.

“Yeah, but not in two months.” Annie retorted.

“Fine, have it your way.” Megan began to walk away.

“Where are you going?” Annie turned around to beckon her back.

“To catch up with Lance and Michael. I’ll be back in a second.”

Megan headed over to the food truck where Lance and Michael had stationed themselves during the magician act.

“Are you having as much fun as we are watching JC and Annie?” Michael asked Megan when she walked over to them.

“It’s a barrel of laughs.” Megan replied with a sarcastic tone.

“It would be fun if they were suddenly here alone together.” Lance’s suggestion made Megan turn her head quickly.

“How the hell are you going to do that? There are a thousand people here. I told him earlier this week to just invite a few friends of hers and he went and turned this into a small county fair. It’s going to be impossible to get them alone.”

“Megan, all these people have to leave eventually. I mean, the kids have naptime scheduled at some point I would guess. And Michael and I have to leave in about an hour. And so do you.” Lance gave her a pointed look.

“Where am I going?” Megan asked, puzzled at his look to her.

“You can follow us. We’ll go get grown-up food. Invite Derek. We’ll make it a double date.” Lance suggested. “And sneak out before Annie has a chance to notice. I’m sure she’ll be so busy with Emma-Claire she won’t have time to say much when you tell her you’re leaving.”

“How will she get back to my place?” Megan wanted to know. “I’m not coming all the way back here to-“

“JC will take her back. Tomorrow. That is, if she wants to go back to your place.” Lance raised his eyebrow and Megan caught on.

“This is why I’m marrying him. For his brains.” Michael reached over to kiss Lance’s cheek.

“I don’t know, Lance. She’s still pretty upset with him.” Megan looked over once more at Annie, who was pretending to be into the magician’s act but was still subtly looking over at JC.

“Well, it’s worth a shot. If it backfires, then I guess we have our answer and we’ll just have to all live in misery.” Lance sighed and leaned against the side of the truck.

Megan didn’t say anything for a minute. Then, “So an hour, huh?”

Lance grinned at her. “Yep. We’ll just all walk out casually like it’s no big deal.”

Megan nodded and had to smile. Perhaps this was what really needed to happen for JC and Annie to start up something again. A conversation, for starters, would be better than the awkward glances at one another.

 

Megan, Lance, and Michael didn’t even have to wait another hour. After the magician was finished, Emma-Claire blew out the candles on her cake and opened her birthday presents. When that was done, a few kids did the Ferris wheel and the bounce castle and after that, parents started to trickle out with their children.

“Hey, JC, we’re gone, too.” Lance came over to JC who was watching Annie and Emma-Claire tell everyone goodbye. “Thanks for inviting us.”

“Thank Emma. She’s the one who insisted y’all come over.” JC smiled at his friends. “Thanks for coming.”

“Sure.” Lance nodded and slapped JC on the back. He looked over at Megan, who winked at him.

“Okay, Ann, I’m gone.” Megan called to Annie and followed Lance and Michael.

“Wait! What?” Annie let go of Emma-Claire’s hand and ran over to Megan. “What do you mean you’re gone?”

“Well, Lance and Michael asked me and Derek to go out to dinner with them so I need to get home.” Megan told her as though it was no big deal that she was leaving Annie alone.

“Um, well that’s great, Megan, but how the hell am I supposed to get home?” Annie hissed.

“I’m sure JC can take you.” Megan answered and then looked across the yard at JC, calling out to him. “Hey, JC! Can you take Annie back to my place? Derek and I are going out with Lance and Michael.”

“Really, Josh, if you can’t-“ Annie started but Megan cut her off.

“And I think she needs more time with Emma-Claire.” Megan nudged Annie. “You’re not going to leave that kid when you hardly got to see her. Just chill and let JC take you home!”

“Are you kidding me?” Annie tried hard not to raise her voice. “Megan, I do not want to be left here with Josh!”

“You’re not just with Josh. Emma-Claire’s here, too. Now, I have to go. I’ll see you tomorrow.” Megan waved to Annie and ran to catch up with Lance and Michael.

“Megan!” Annie started to race after her, but Emma-Claire grabbed her hand.

“Annie, come jump with me on the bouncy thing!” Emma-Claire summoned to her and pulled on her arm.

Annie knew there was no way she was getting out of this. Megan disappeared behind the gate with Lance and Michael. She watched in desperation as the rest of the kids started to head out as well.

“C’mon, Annie! Jump on it with me!” Emma-Claire had already crawled inside the bounce castle and was jumping up and down as fast as she could go.

Annie did as was asked and crept inside the structure with her. She tried to enjoy herself. Here she was with her favorite little girl in the world and she knew this day was about Emma-Claire, not about her feeling as though her best friend in L.A. had abandoned her. She knew Megan too well and knew that this must have been planned so that she and JC would reconcile. Annie started to wonder how she would get back at Megan. She was terrible at plotting revenge but this might just give her a good push in that direction.

“Hey.” JC poked his head inside. “Um, the guy’s here to get the bounce house and the Ferris wheel.”

“Okay.” Annie looked down at Emma-Claire. “Looks like we have to get out, girl.”

“Five more minutes, Daddy. Pleeeee-aaase!” Emma-Claire begged JC and he could only smile in response.

“Okay. But that’s it. I’ll tell him to start with the Ferris wheel.” JC told her and then quickly glanced up at Annie. “Um, just let me know when you want to go home. Sorry they left you.”

Annie shook her head and forced a smile. “No, it’s fine. I can help you clean up. It’s the least I can do. And I’ll get to spend more time with Emma.”

“Yeah. True.” He looked at Emma-Claire. “Five minutes, baby girl. And then you have to get out.” JC turned around and walked away, glancing back at Annie once more.

“Are you gonna spend the night here, Annie?” Emma-Claire asked, bouncing on her knees. Annie was sitting cross-legged with her hands behind her, letting Emma-Claire’s movements spring her every so often.

“No, Em. Sorry. I’m staying with Megan.” Annie saw Emma-Claire’s face pull a frown and tried her best to cheer her up next. “But I’m gonna stay with you for a while more, okay? It’s your birthday. And you better start jumping cause we don’t have much time.” Annie stood up and pulled Emma-Claire up with her.

JC could hear the giggles from Emma-Claire and Annie in the bounce castle. He was starting to clean up some from the party, but their laughing was distracting him and he couldn’t help but stop and watch. It seemed so normal for Annie to be there at his house, playing with Emma-Claire. He’d missed this kind of normal. The house had seemed so empty without Annie around now.

“Excuse me, Mr. Chasez?” An employee from the party company that JC had rented the attractions from was speaking to him.

“Yeah?” JC broke his gaze from Annie and Emma-Claire.

“We gotta start breaking down the bounce house.”

“Yeah. Sure. No problem.” JC nodded and walked back over to the castle. “Emma, honey, you gotta get out of there now.”

Emma-Claire stopped jumping and even though she protested for another five minutes, reluctantly stepped out and Annie followed.

“Can I get a bouncy castle for Christmas?” Emma-Claire asked JC as she and Annie followed him back to where the presents were stacked.

“Maybe. But you got a ton of stuff today, girl.” He began to take Frozen doll boxes and other toys Emma-Claire had received and stack them in his arms.

“Need help?” Annie asked, coming closer to him.

“Uh, yeah, sure.” JC handed her a few presents. His fingers grazed hers and Annie glanced up at him. “Sorry.”

“It’s okay.” Annie smiled and went around him into the house.

Emma-Claire skipped ahead of both adults and into the living room. She’d learned how to access Netflix without supervision now and was already watching one of her favorite kids’ programs.

“I guess we’ll let the birthday girl skip out on cleaning,” Annie said and JC chuckled.

“Yeah. Um, so I can take you back to Megan’s any time. Kinda shitty how they just left you here.” JC hated the way they were interacting. As though they’d never dated or slept together or had a relationship. They were talking to each other so surfaced and he hated it.

“I’ll stay a little longer if it’s okay. I want to hang out with Emma as much as I can.” Annie started sorting the boxes of presents on the kitchen counter. “And there’s a huge mess outside from the party. I’d feel bad leaving you alone with that.”

JC shrugged. “It’s no big deal. I got it.” He decided if they were just going to pretend like nothing had ever happened between them, he’d just go along with it. It was easier than expecting Annie to tell him she wanted him back.

JC walked back outside and began to clean up but Annie followed him.

“Are we just gonna be like this from now on?” Annie couldn’t believe it had come out of her mouth. But she was just as tired of the formalities as he was. Only she wasn’t afraid to say something.

“Well, I don’t know what you want. I mean, I don’t know what to say to you anymore, Ann. You want me to just pretend nothing happened, we’ll pretend nothing happened.” JC was gathering plates and cups from the picnic table left by the partygoers and not making eye contact with her.

“You think this was easy for me?” Annie went over to him and put her hand on top of his, compelling him to look at her. “I was scared as shit coming here today. I didn’t know what to expect.”

“Well, judging by the way it went, I’d say you did a fine job of just ignoring me.” JC moved away from her and over to another patio table.

“I wasn’t ignoring you.” Annie almost snapped at him, but held her tongue. “I..I didn’t know what to say to you.”

JC squinted up at her through the sunlight then went back to cleaning without saying anything back to her.

“So you’re not gonna say anything now?” Annie ventured to ask in a softer tone.

JC let out a sigh and rubbed his eyes with his thumb and index finger. “Annie, it’s impossible to know what to say to you right now. I’ve wanted you back here for the last two months you’ve been gone. And now you’re here. You’re standing closer to me than you have in a long time. And I have no clue what the fuck to tell you. I know all of it was my fault, okay? I take full ownership in that. But neither of us knows what the hell to tell each other.” He shook his head and inched his way closer to her. “I don’t know what to do, either.” JC was standing in front of her and Annie could only gaze up at him. “So I guess we’re just going to have to keep being surfaced and shit to each other until we decide what to do.”

Annie could only nod in agreement.

“I guess so.”

They stared at each other in silence until JC finally broke and cupped her chin in his hand.

“Josh-“ Annie started to say but JC stifled her protest and kissed her.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: oral girlontop kitchensex daddyjc phonesex producerjc boyfriendjcc