Author's Chapter Notes:
*This chapter is short because...* Justin finally admits his feelings for Libby out loud. *whoop*

~~~~~*~~~~~

"Morning, Snipes," Justin said cheerfully as he entered Libby's hospital room and made his way over to her bed. He'd just been chatting with the overnight nurse at the nurses’ station, who had told him that Libby had started to show signs of increased brain activity during the night. Apparently, it was an indication that her brain was beginning to enter more advanced sleep cycles. This had gone completely over Justin's head until the nurse had explained to him that it was a very good sign that Libby was taking more steps in her recovery.

He'd done a lot of research himself, mainly on the internet, and the nurses were so encouraging when he asked questions or needed something explained to him. This morning they'd explained that prolonged periods of sleep and 'wakefulness' indicated that Libby's brain was showing signs of healing, and it was an early indication that she may be reaching a point where she could regain consciousness.

Naturally, receiving that news had put Justin in a very good mood.

"You gonna wake up today?" He asked her as he went about his usual habits of flicking on the stereo, choosing one of Libby's favourite C.D's to play and making himself comfortable in the visitor's chair by her bedside.

"Show me, show me, show me how you do that trick / The one that makes me scream" she said / "The one that makes me laugh" she said / And threw her arms around my neck / "Show me how you do it and I promise you / I promise that I'll run away with you / I'll run away with you..."

 

Day by day, Justin had grown in confidence that Libby was going to get better. He still had bad days, and he struggled when he read or heard something negative and upsetting about her condition, but on the whole he was maintaining his conviction that Libby would wake up.

He knew that he had to keep positive despite all the odds. It wasn't easy, but he hoped that Libby might somehow pick up on his good vibes and that it might help her come back to him.

Spinning on that dizzy edge / I kissed her face and kissed her head / And dreamed of all the different ways I had / To make her glow / "Why are you so far away?" she said / "Why won't you ever know that I'm in love with you? / That I'm in love with you?"'

 

"Your mom's here," Justin said as he dumped his jacket over the arm of the chair and leaned forward to rest his elbows on his knees. "She's just getting a soda." Justin reached over, and like he always did when he visited Libby, he took one of her hands in his and gave it a reassuring squeeze.

"I called Clare last night, too. She seems to be doin' a little better. Not great, but not terrible, either. She said to tell you that she misses you," Justin said, smiling at the thought. He'd been getting on a lot better with Clare recently, and he wondered if that had something to do with her being something like four–thousand miles away in Europe. He couldn't deny that it probably did.

"I know she feels bad about leavin' you, but it seems to be a good thing. Her gettin' away, I mean. I promised I'd call if anything happens. I know she'd never forgive herself if she wasn't here to see you wake up. Plus she'd never let me forget it if I was here and she wasn't. You know how stubborn she is!"

Justin glanced at the photograph by Libby's bed and smiled sadly. He missed seeing her smile. He missed hearing her laugh, and seeing the little dimple that appeared in one of her cheeks when she laughed. It seemed a long time since that night on the beach when they'd play fought in the surf. Too long. A lifetime away.

Justin wondered if Libby had any idea how much time had passed. Was she aware of the passing of day and night? He made a mental note to ask the nurse the next time he saw her. At this rate, he should start carrying a notepad around with him, he thought to himself. He had so many questions that he wanted answers to it seemed the sensible thing to do.

'You / Soft and only / You / Lost and lonely / You / Strange as angels / Dancing in the deepest oceans / Twisting in the water / You're just like a dream...

 

Fortunately, the hospital staff didn't seem to mind his many questions. In fact, they seemed to like the fact that he wanted to know so much about Libby's condition. It wasn't morbid curiosity. He wanted to be able to explain to Libby when she woke up what had happened to her. He hoped that he'd be able to help her come to terms with what she'd been through. He'd had a hard enough time dealing with it himself, he couldn't imagine how it would feel to actually be the patient.

The consequences of what had happened between JC and Clare had not been lost on Justin. He'd witnessed the effects of the fall out on both sides, and he was determined that the same would not happen to him and Libby. It hadn't been easy to watch. Of all the people in his group of friends, JC and Clare seemed the most in–tune. The most together. He'd never have imagined that something could have come between them and make them lose their solid friendship so abruptly.

Justin was adamant that he would not forget the lessons that he'd learned from being on the side–lines of JC and Clare's breakup. As soon as the opportunity arose, he would tell Libby how he felt—regardless of the consequences. He'd nearly lost her physically, and he wasn't going to let anything keep her from him again. Even if—in the end—he discovered that she didn't feel the same way.

Daylight licked me into shape / I must have been asleep for days / And moving lips to breathe her name / I opened up my eyes / And found myself alone / Alone / Alone above a raging sea / That stole the only girl I loved / And drowned her deep inside of me...

 

"Here you go," a soft voice said by his shoulder, and Justin turned to see Catherine at his side, holding a can of Sprite out to him. "They didn't have coke, so I got you a lemonade."

"Thanks," Justin said, accepting the drink with the opposite hand to the one he was holding Libby's with. It would take a lot for him to let go of that.

Catherine perched on the end of Libby's bed and both she and Justin took a sip of their drinks as a comfortable silence filled the room.

"The doc' said she's improving," Justin said with a smile as he lowered his drink and swallowed, anticipating Catherine's reaction.

"Yes," she smiled back. "Apparently we should soon start to see more signs of her coming back to us."

Justin grinned and immediately turned back to look at Libby. Catherine watched him fondly for a moment and smiled as she noticed that he'd begun running his fingers soothingly over the back of Libby's hand. He didn't seem to be aware of it, but the action bought a lump to Catherine's throat.

She took another sip from her own drink, giving herself a chance to control her voice before speaking. Like everyone else who was involved in Libby's daily life, Libby's mother was on an emotional rollercoaster and often found herself tearing up at the smallest of things.

"You care a lot for my daughter, don't you, Justin,? Catherine said, her voice stating the fact rather than actually asking.

"Yeah," Justin replied absently as his eyes roamed over Libby's still face. He still couldn't get used to her being so motionless. It was so unlike her. Like him, she was a ball of energy. Except in the mornings... she wasn't a morning person.

Justin opened his mouth to speak and then hesitated, debating whether or not he should say the words that were hanging off the edge of his tongue. Keeping his eyes fixed on Libby's face, he took a deep breath and said, "I didn't realise how much I took for granted before. She was such a huge part of my life, and yet I never really admitted it to her."

Justin turned around and met Catherine's eyes. She said nothing, but nodded encouragingly and so he continued.

"I wasted a lot of time," he said, regretfully. "I kept pretending that we were just friends. That that was all I ever wanted to be..." He swallowed audibly and looked back at Libby. "It was so stupid. I was such an idiot."

"Justin..." Catherine said gently, and she waited until he turned back around to meet her eyes before continuing. "Are you in love with her?"

Catherine tilted her head slightly and regarded him with curious eyes. It was such a familiar expression that Justin felt as though the air had been sucked right out of his lungs, and he felt the ache in his heart intensify as he stared into Catherine's eyes. They seemed so familiar, and yet so different at the same time. God, I miss her, he though miserably to himself.

Justin hesitated for a moment and then mentally berated himself for it. If he couldn't handle saying the words aloud to Libby’s mother, then how would he ever be able to say them to her?

"Yes," he said in an unfaltering voice, and to his surprise his eyes began to well with tears as he realised that this was the first time that he'd admitted his feelings out loud to anyone. "I am."

~~~~~*~~~~~

Chapter End Notes:
*This chapter features lyrics from the song 'Just Like Heaven' by The Cure (The best song ever!)


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: debutsync