Although Chris was known for knowing the value of a dollar, he had to splurge every now and again. So when Allie joined him for their dinner date, he took her to one of the finest restaurants in the city and spared no expense on the meal.

Allie came out of her door all decked out in a black maxi dress that ended a little above her ankles, enough to show off her gleaming black stiletto heels. The diamond earring and necklace set that Chris had given her for her most recent birthday shimmered like a thousand stars. For this occasion, she kept her hair down, though it still fell away from her face and tumbled down her back in graceful golden waves. Chris could also tell that she had been generous with her new makeup kit, as well as with a divine perfume that must have cost nothing under fifty bucks an ounce.

Combined with Chris, with his sleek burgundy jacket, pale lime button-down shirt, black single-pleat pants, and black oxford shoes, there was no logical reason as to why these two young people shouldn’t be together.

As stunning as the restaurant was with its well-designed interior and impeccable food, what Chris liked most about this place was that it was just him and Allie, with no screaming kids, and everyone else who was there knew how to behave.

Chris and Allie dined by one of the enormous windows that provided an equally superb view of the city. It took both of them a while to make up their minds on what to eat, but at last Allie settled for the Asiago chicken smothered in mushrooms and a velvety sauce, whereas Chris opted for the herb-roasted lobster alongside a juicy slab of prime rib.

From a glance, this would have met anyone’s expectations of a romantic dinner.

While they waited for their orders, Chris idly traced the edge of his wine glass with his index finger as he asked, “So, how have you been, Allie?”

“Fine,” she replied without meeting his gaze. “How’s business?”

“Hectic, but otherwise going as well as can be expected.”

“That’s nice.”

“You look nice tonight. That dress goes awesome with your hair.” 

“Thanks.”

“I always liked your hair best when it hangs down.” 

“Thanks.”

“And that necklace is the perfect touch. Really brings you together.” 

“You should know. You bought it for me.”

After two or three minutes, Chris took another stab at small talk. “So…what’s new?” 

Allie tossed her head to send her hair a little farther back from her face before answering, “Nothing much. What’s new with you?”

He made a slight shrug. “Mm, nothing particularly noteworthy.” 

“New album’s selling well?”

“Selling like hotcakes.” 

“Any plans for what you’ll do after this?”

“Not a clue.” 

“The other guys doing well?”

“Yes, they are. Very well, in fact.” 

“Yeah? That’s cool.”

Another awkward pause lingered until their maître d' came back, and Chris couldn’t help thinking about Jamie and how much easier—and friendlier—his conversations with her had been. He also noticed that Allie perked up a bit more when their plates were set down, and that she showed more interest in the food than in him.

“Mmm…top-notch,” she commented between bites. “I wonder if it’s possible to get the recipe for this chicken.”

Chris took his time to cut up his dinner and chew it, and while he took occasional sips from his glass, the level didn’t go down much. At one point, he asked, “Allie?”

“Hm?”

“Are you feeling all right?”

That got her full attention for at least ten seconds. “I feel fine,” she said, looking and sounding puzzled at the question.

“Are you sure there’s nothing wrong?”

“What makes you think something’s wrong?”

Chris hesitated briefly, then shook his head and muttered, “Never mind.”

Neither of them said another word for the next twenty minutes. Even after they’d ordered dessert (indulgent chocolate puddings under a mountain of whipped cream), Chris couldn’t shake the feeling that Allie was keeping something from him. No matter how many times he told himself not to be stupid, the suspicion wouldn’t quit nagging.

About halfway through dessert, Chris excused himself to the restroom. Inside the pristine men’s room, he peeled off his jacket and set it aside with his glasses so that it wouldn’t get spattered while he gave his hands and face a good wash. After drying off, he spent another five minutes gazing at his reflection. He noticed that a few strands of hair had come loose above his forehead, and he smoothed them back and used a little water to make them stick.

What’s the matter with me? Why should I feel this way? Why must everything in my life feel so out of whack? These questions, along with many more, circled in his brain like a dog chasing its tail, and he could find no answers.

At length, he donned his jacket once more and returned his glasses to their perch. He drew several good breaths while he straightened his lapels, and he kept his head up as he breezed out the door.

He hadn’t taken ten steps when something compelled him to stop and listen. From behind a tall artificial plant on his left side, some guy was saying, “Come on, Al, this is nuts! You know I hate being yanked around like this. I ain’t some toy on a string.”

“Quit your whining, Landon,” retorted a female voice that made Chris’s heart trip a beat. “It’s crucial that we maintain a low profile, especially when Chris is around.”

“Why don’t you make it easier on yourself and just give that guy the boot? Why spread yourself too thin between him and me?”

“Break up with Chris Kirkpatrick? Are you insane? The media would have a field day! You know how closely they monitor him and all those other guys. Heck, they’re still talking about ‘N Sync going AWOL at the movies!”

“Yeah? Well, I was there, too. Where’s my fifteen minutes of fame from that night? I have every bit as much the looks and the talent as those five pretty boys have. Why doesn’t the public follow me everywhere I go and document my every move?”

“Because you’re not a world-famous superstar, that’s why. Besides, I’ve got it too good with Chris to simply ditch him. He’s always there with all the money I could ask for and the most fabulous gifts that would turn any girl’s head.”

“So you complain about not having him to yourself as often as you’d like, and yet when it comes to money or fancy presents, he’s your handyman.”

“What are you griping about? You get a share in the benefits. Don’t forget, Landon, we wouldn’t have been able to go to half those places and spend half that much if we were on our own. And what about that new stereo system you’d been coveting for the last six months? Had Chris not been generous enough with that loan three weeks back, you’d be in a retirement home by the time you managed to get your paws on that stereo.”

Chris’s whole face burned white-hot. His hands balled into rock-rigid fists. What’s this? She told me she needed that money to pay off her mortgage bill!

“Whatever,” said the guy named Landon, and Chris could picture him rolling his eyes as far as they had the capacity to go. “But I still don’t like how you’re smoking-hot one minute and ice-cold the next. You’re getting to be too fickle for your own good, baby.” 

“That would be the understatement of the century, brother.” Now Chris stepped around the plant, making his presence fully known.

There could be no mistake now. There, in plainest sight, stood Allie with the scruffy guy from the theater and the coffee house (at least he’d had the decency to comb his hair and fix himself up somewhat this time). They both jumped off the floor and yelled bloody murder at the same time, turning quite a few heads in their direction. Even three waiters paused to see what was going on.

Chris!” Only bats and dogs would have heard Allie’s voice had it been one octave higher. Her blue eyes would have popped from their sockets had they been any bigger.

“Hello, Allison,” Chris said in a tone of solid ice. “Good evening, Landon.”

Landon was the first to recover himself, and he narrowed his eyes and demanded furiously, “What’s the big idea, man? What’s with you barging in on us like that?”

“That’s something I would care to ask you, buddy.”

Allie faltered for several seconds before saying lamely, “I can explain.”

Chris crossed his arms. “Explain what? You messing around with some other guy when I’m not around? How I don’t satisfy you, Allison Matthews, except when it comes to your material comforts?”

“I…I…”

“How dare you, both of you. Sneaking behind my back while using me as an ATM.” Chris’s voice grew softer and sharper. “I would have expected better from you, Allison. I would never have done this to you. But it wasn’t good enough for you, was it? It never has been, has it?”

“Whoa, hey, pal,” said Landon, taking a step forward, “take a Chill Pill. It ain’t like she’s married to you or nothing. You got no more claims to her than any other dude—”

“Shut your mouth, Scruffy.” From the way Chris eyed him, it was a miracle Landon wasn’t down on the floor, bleeding from every place.

“Chris—” Allie began.

“Save your breath, honey, while you’ve still got it. I can assure you that my schedule will no longer be a hindrance after this. You will no longer have to rush back and forth, dividing yourself too many ways. You will also have no need to worry about the media. I won’t breathe a single word about the money. I’ll even leave you a nice tip with tonight’s meal, and Scruffy here can keep that stereo. But I would rather eat dog crap mixed with cyanide than come within thirty feet of either of you for the rest of my life. I would rather gouge my eyes out with a rusty nail, one after the other, than look your way again. Goodnight, Allison, and goodbye.”

 


 

Chapter End Notes:

Cue "See Right Through You," or "The Game is Over." 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love celebritysync originalcharacter celebrity romance movies suspense chris